How do we bring back 2D movies in America guys?

How do we bring back 2D movies in America guys?

My idea involves Disney bringing back their 2D department and making a MCU or Star Wars 2D spinoff film, since those 2 franchises are safe bets to be hits.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZwZilPFwsSk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Netflix.

Next question.

>Disney bringing back their 2D department and making a MCU or Star Wars 2D spinoff film
Not like this

Wait for the MLP movie and pray for a miracle

With Disney remaking all their 2D classics into live action? Yeah, it's not gonna happen, 2D is dead.

If they were to open up a 2D animation department it would be in Hong Kong or some shit.

>How do we bring back 2D movies in America guys?

Wait until Disney refines the process they used in Paperman and make it cheaper to use.

>The Barney movie being the miracle that saves the industry
You manchildren really are deluded.

>bronies
>saving the 2D animation industry
>with a fad of autism

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and I'm going to watch it the 1st week....a little bit too similar to the Little Mermaid though,it could be a highlight if Hasbro did put care on this....

watch out,it could really give us unironically a surprise

>it could really give us unironically a surprise
Eh, I wouldn't count on it.
If you remember Barney's Great Adventure, that movie had a character who kept saying Barney wasn't real and that it was "kid's stuff". Unfortunately, by the end of the movie, he realized he was a kid, and had a contrived as fuck resolution by the end. I imagine he was put in to as a response to older kids finding Barney to be complete shit, but they failed at gaining that audience because it didn't do anything different. As such, public opinion didn't change on Barney when it had come out.
The same thing will happen here.

It's never going to happen OP. Just be thankful France, Japan, and Korea are keeping 2D films alive.

Our best bet in this country would be for a studio like Laika to release one and have it be an astronomical hit. Disney won't go back to 2D unless they see it as viable again since Winnie the Pooh and Frog Princess failed to deliver. 3D looks fancier and flashier and that's what executives want to sell tickets.

It's been 5 years, I'm tired of waiting.

Honestly?
People who are obsessed with 2D are what's keeping it from coming back

Everyone acts like 2D is dead but it's all over the fucking place. The public still loves the style, commercial studios use it just as much as 3D because they know the kind of appeal it has.
Princess and the Frog is why you won't be seeing more 2D movies. Not because it was bad, but because of how how it was made. Animator's insisted on drawing on paper for the sake of the craft still ended up having to rely heavily computers for a majority of the movie, even going so far as to scan and trace all of the 2D animators work for the final product anyways. That in a nutshell is why you won't be seeing another "pure" 2D movie OP, because you're not in love with the art you're in love with an antiquated process.
Hell, Moana had some of the most stylized, polished 2D animation Disney's ever made but if you asked a 2D purist what they thought: "Yeah but it's not REALLY 2D animation".
Fuck you. You don't love animation you're just a hipster who has somehow convinced themselves they've got better taste then some of the most talented artists living today. 2D animation doesn't need to be brought back, it's still here. It just looks 100 times better than it did 20 years ago and your just too stupid to recognize it. Yes I'm mad.

Why did you wrote all this?

>yet anoher POC princess movie played as safe as possible
>childish movie released at same time as Harry Potter finale.

It's like they wanted these movies to fail.

Anyone else actually fucking hate Star Wars? I like Mark Hammil as the Joker or a voice actor, but as Luke? I don't give a flying fuck about his performance. I just don't see how something so boring became a virus of popularity in the North American culture itself.

That said, 2D will not return until Disney perfects that stupid Paperman Engine or whatever it is they want to do to replicate cheaper theatrical tier 2D animation. It's either that or robots that can hand drawn replacing human animators.

> Moana is 2D animation
Get the fuck out. Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" isn't considered an animated movie because of the one animated scene in it.

Is it really impossible to make hand-drawn animation in Flash/Toon Boom/Harmony look as smooth and fluid as traditional, pencil-on-paper animation?

It'd save tons of money and time for both feature films AND TV series.

Star Wars was the feel good movie the 70s longed for after many years of highly experimental films.

It's ok not to like it. Just don't be a dick about it.

It's not impossible, but the guy has a point in which people are too stubborn to accept 2D if it's drawn on a computer.

>Moana is 2D animation
>Moana had some of the most stylized, polished 2D animation
Learn to read.

Maybe they'll just start making their live action classics into 2D.

Get ready, folks, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again... Rides Again.

Yeah? Well I've been tired of hearing you whine about muh 2D for the past 5 years.

>It's not impossible, but the guy has a point in which people are too stubborn to accept 2D if it's drawn on a computer.
Literally who is stubborn about this sort of thing? I don't care if my 2D animation is drawn on a tablet.

That's good to hear, because there are people who think 2D animation should be done on cels again.

>too stubborn to accept 2D if it's drawn on a computer.
This is my point exactly. So many people on Sup Forums don't even animate and as soon as they see some computer effects they start whining about how they miss "real" 2D.
There's already a shit ton of hyper-polished 2D computer animation out there, tradition animation does not inherently make anything better. In fact I'd say that drawing on paper has pretty much no advantage at this point- other than maybe a little more convenience up front that you will have to make up for down the line.

Paperman was the animation equivalent of a Million Dollar Instagram filter. If you think studios are about to start tracing over full length 3D movies with line art (essentially doubling the work load) so that you can feel like you're back in the 90's then you're going to be sadly disappointed.

They did it for The Prophet.

The environments use hand drawn lines but everything else is just good ol' cell shading buddy. That technology has been around for quite some time, you can pop over to /3/ and see people using it right now. Paperman used it's own in-house technology that allowed animators to use 2d drawings as 3D textures.

Sounds like /m/-spics.

I'd really dig it if they made a digital 2D animation that imitated the look of cels, I know it's possible but there's not really a demand. And while I definitely prefer the lusher look of cels it's not traditional or bust by any means, strong art direction is much more important than what medium they use.

Bump

youtu.be/ZwZilPFwsSk

Mary poppins 2 is going to have 2D i believe...following the legacy of the original...