Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yHqdESArkqU?t=3m26s
youtube.com/watch?v=h-eHZydEhJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mClOxgyWLs8
youtube.com/watch?v=6VDlJkLTX0s
youtube.com/watch?v=_lLH5POLAAI
youtube.com/watch?v=0lxuX-4CB0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you don't have your lightsaber in front of you you're going to be exposed.

Light-saber duels should've never been about wide swings, because they're so light its too easy just to lunge in and jab you through the belly.

the part where Obi Wan 1v1s Maul is unironically the best choreographed fight in the saga

youtu.be/yHqdESArkqU?t=3m26s

there should've been more dual wielders

the reason dual wielding doesn't work in real life is because a) too heavy to swing a sword with one arm b) coordination and c) can't have a shield. but jedis have the force, so their coordination is much better, lightsabres are light so fatigue doesn't matter, and they never use shields anyway

I know Star Killer does it, but no main character does

also phantom menace scene is kino. the music, the intenseness, the feel overall

Apparently the actors in the OT were told they were suppoused to be heavy. Like Excalibur.

The Vader-Obi Wan fight is hilariously bad and easily the worst in the entire saga. Anyone who argues otherwise is delusional

How this is even a contest is beyond me.
The one in ANH isn't even a fight.

Star killer and the force unleashed in general were so cool sucks nothing will ever be made in the franchise

Obi wan vs darth vader is objectively a trash fight. No tension, no danger. Just two old codgers touching tips. OT apologists don't realize how terrible some parts of the OT were. Because MUH FUCKIN NOSTALGIA YAHERME?

Obi vs Vadi is goat
it looks like a real duel, it feels like a real duel it has actual sword fighting techniques

it's sterile dance battling with no emotion in it just like the rest of the prequels

t. brainlet

only a brainlet would be impressed by the prequel choreography

this.
they could redo the fight with Alec Guiness CGI'd in and some random coreography guy playing darth vader and it would look infinitely better
and that would probably look retarded

Anakin does this

What the fuck are you on about. It looks like play fighting with sticks. It's awful. It doesn't resemble a real fight in any way at all.

Empire and RotJ's fights take inspiration from Kendo
The Prequel fights take inspiration from Wushu
The Sequel fights take inspiration from HEMA

Though some of the fights are better than others, they all mostly achieve pretty well what they set out to do, except A New Hope, which just looks ridiculous.

check out webm related, done by historical fencing instructors who made a short film to showcase a style of stage fencing that approximates reality while still being flashy and choreographed.

so you unironically like the cringe fest that is the ANH duel?

Only little kids or people who want Lucas' sperm or both will say that the battle in the TPM is better then the one in ANH.
>calls someone a brainlet
>likes the prequels

t. brainlet

They actually repeat the choreography once. Maul duel is still cool because of Duel of the Fates tho

Its not the best but remember in 77 the appeal of the fight was the effects of the sabers themselves. And I'd argue the new hope fight is better than bouncing cgi yoda vs doughey cgi dooku

One fight being garbage doesn't mean another fight isn't garbage too.
And Tron had amazing effects for its time, doesn't mean the effects aren't complete trash today.

They both suck for totally different reasons

The effects used in New Hope seriously hampered the light saber fights.
They were motorized sticks whose "blades" rotated in an attempt to bring laser swords to life in camera.
It didn't work and they were rotoscoped for most scenes anyway.
The Luke v. Vader fights in Empire and Jedi are still the best Star Wars duels, both emotionally and in choreography.

This, in terms of fights both Luke/Vader fights are my favorites. Both combatants use the environment, both are fighting for clear goals, both have strong motivations, and both serve a valuable purpose in the story.

They both suck, but for totally different reasons.

>it looks like a real duel, it feels like a real duel it has actual sword fighting techniques

Why does he spin?

Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon

my god I can't watch this shit, it's so fucking stupid

Though a like the obi wan vader fight as a scene it just doesn't look that good as a fight, but thats to be expected when you have a frail old man in a fight

This needs to be posted any time someone defends the fighting in ANH.

Its a good trick.

Because it's a good trick.

>this spin
>"only a master of evil, Darth"
>"I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" before giving up and dying so he can walk around as a ghost
why did Obi-Wan have so many stupid moments? It's almost like he's supposed to be some con man that pretends to be highly competent but is actually a buffoon

Obi&Qui vs Mauli are spinning all the time

I suppose is part of The Alec don't giving a flying fuck about the movie.
Also: the Duel of Fates is a good combat per se. The problem with the scene is the stakes. These people do no know each other, is not even implied. It makes people care less.
NONETHELESS, is not even as memetic as pleb letter media puts it, because there is a Maul encounter previously in the movie and after Quigon-Wiskey dies Obi-one has a lot of motivation.

>before giving up and dying so he can walk around as a ghost
>The Last Jedi has Force Ghosts interacting with physical objects
He wasn't that far off the mark.

>I suppose is part of The Alec don't giving a flying fuck about the movie.
Stop with this fucking meme.
Guinness liked the script, and the movie.
What he didn't like was people becoming obsessive over Star Wars.

e5 > e6 the rest

[Maul vs Quigon+Obiwan] > [Luke vs Vader2] > [Anakin vs Obiwan] > [Luke vs Vader] >[Obiwan vs Grevious] > [Deuku vs Anikin] >[Obiwan vs Vader] > [Deuku vs Yoda]

and nobody is arguing that the duel of fates is realistic

this, tho me personally would switch Maul and ESB

Obi v Maul 2 (from a children's cartoon) is the only sabre duel that isn't complete garbage.

You have to understand this:
the more powerful you are with the force, the less shitty choreographic jumps you have to perform in order to fight with the lightsaber.
Obi-Wan and Vader were both top-tier with the force. They were so powerful they don't need to move around a lot.

Top for the feels bottom for the reals.

You have to understand this:
The fighters in the prequels were actually trained in combat with a lightsaber.
Luke wasn't trained, Obi-Wan and Anakin are old as fuck and Anakin is half robot with artificial everything.

>Its sterile dance battle fag
Fuck off you post this shit in every thread and get BTFO'd each time

Yoda was old as fuck = jump like a from for half a movie with a saber in hand

Dooku was old as fuck = best duelist in the entire saga

So why he looks jaded? Is the character?
Anyway, I like your interpretation so I will believe it.

So what you're saying is, how powerful you are with the Force has nothing to do with whether you have to jump around or not.

Menace

Dooku was less power in the force than obi wan and Vader. He was a better duelist with the saber.

Not him but I like it because it's two old dudes swinging at each other with lazer swords. It hold's up in context considering the fucking Jacki Chan shit in the prequels and the lumberjack shit in TFA.

It was heavy to lose Ben, but it's heavier now knowing more.

>
Dooku was less power in the force than obi wan and Vader.

>muh emotions
Kys

The best fight in the saga is Rey v. Kylo and you know it.

Dooky matched Yoda with force mastery, he got btfo by anakin with a sabre

best fight in the star wars universe is unironically Anakin vs Obi Wan in episode III

Fuck off, Jay

>Retards actually defend this
Literally pointing their sticks of death menacingly at each other
They barely even move in this supposed "fight" and when they do it looks ridiculous like in that webm

>HEMA
Put that little kid in the movie: youtube.com/watch?v=h-eHZydEhJ4

>posting that retarded webm to try and support your argument

Those stance changes are aesthetic as fuck

>Propellerheads music.

10/10 video

Depends on your definition of "better". Better as an action scene? TPM wins hands down. Better as part of a movie? ANH takes it.

One advances the story and develops the characters. The other is just 3 guys fighting in a Star Wars room. At least until Qui-Gon dies, but even that's short-lived and nobody really cared about his character anyway.

I never really noticed that maul was in control of the whole fight and intentionally backs up into the power generators to separate them. You can watch him keep looking back towards the destination he has in mind, and even test the shields to make sure. It would have worked separating but Obi went a little dark side. You can even see Mauls face crinkle as he feels Obi Wan tap into the dark side and feels what is coming.

Kino.

How were they supposed to make experimental cutting edge technology better? The pushed what they had to the limits.

it's fine for what it is, a duel in a low budget schlocky space action movie and it makes you feel things because the people fighting are actual characters

there is absolutely nothing going on with the characters in the Maul duel besides that brief rest when the laser gates turn on

It's almost like it's the same shit but better.

Anakin vs Obi-Wan
Maul vs Obi / Qui-Gon
Luke vs Vader 2
Dooku vs Anakin
Luke vs Vader 1
Yoda vs Sheev
Yoda vs Dooku
Obi-Wan vs Grevious
Obi-Wan vs Vader

It was a good trick... from a certain point of view.

Star Wars needs to do Wushu right.
Look at this.

It fits the fighting style perfectly.

youtube.com/watch?v=mClOxgyWLs8

youtube.com/watch?v=6VDlJkLTX0s

Plinkett said the top one was better than the bottom one so that's the answer

>tfw no tercios SW style with lightsaber dagger and ropera

my favorite fights in the prequels are unironically windu vs. sheev and qui gon alone vs. maul. with sheev and windu there are clearly powerful masters clashing while the other one focus on sword fighting technique, tricks and spins.

youtube.com/watch?v=_lLH5POLAAI

It's almost not retarded, the greenscreen takes away a bit. Why is it so hard to have a fight with some struggle.

I thought it was cool that Rey uses a lot of jabs with hers.

whoops wrong vid

youtube.com/watch?v=0lxuX-4CB0Y

The one where Vader gets decapitated by Jake

I prefer all the OT lightsaber duels desu, my main complaint about the prequels was that everything was so over-choreographed that it just looked like dancing rather than fighting.
That said the Obi-Wan vs Vader fight wasn't impressive at all, but at least It looked believable out of an old and not all that nimble looking man.

its not simply spinning its when and how they spin

I can't help but feel like the light saber choreography in the prequels had characters deliberately aiming at eachother's saber blades, rather than trying to land blows on eachother's body and the other character blocking or parrying.

they tried to make them long and interesting
truth is real sword fights are boring

That's fine. I'd rather them not take up much time.

Old EU explained that light saber blades are actually magnetized to each other.

Where does this rank lads?

As a fencer (Sabre, coincidentally), I have to say that Obi Wan vs Vader was the most accurate portrayal of how a duel would go down.

Although I see no reason for them to grasb the lightsabre with both hands.

A lightsabre duel would likely be similar to Epee fencing, with a lot of mind games, feints, and subtle wrist actions. However the parrying and strikes would be more like Sabre.

Imagine the mindgames, tactics and footwork of an Epee bout, with the bladework of Sabre.

As a fencer, this is 0/10, why the fuck would he swing around like that? Even with a broadsword there would be no reason to make those actions. With a virtually weightless blade, it's even more ridiculous. But the blade design in general is terrible for a sword (really, a guard that can cut your wrist off?)

The prequels were better.

The duel itself is rather meh but the setting is fantastic. I love how their sabers glow in the darkness and contrast with the snowy forest.

I do like how the sequels treat lightsabers like they're really heavy, blows having real weight behind them is satisfying. Really don't know what the canon answer is to how much a lightsaber weighs but whatever the case I enjoy the more weighted fights

Both had ridiculous moves. But it's not a fair comparison because the lower was the climax of the 3rd act.

Blind, braindead or trolling, there's no other way. Seeing that you're trying to link at a point of time in the stream, I'll go with the second option.

None of them are good.

Weighted sabers unfortunately means they are much less effective against blasters. There is also the matter of where all that mass comes from.

7 years ago I never would have thought Sup Forums would need to be so contrarian that they would force themselves to choke down the prequels.

I guess thats what happens when you were ten when a movie comes out.

Deflecting blaster bolts is a Force extrasensory-dependent skill. The blade dies the deflecting, but the supernatural anticipation via the Force is what gets the blade in position.

Windu was the best. name one person that would last half as long as Windu against trolling Sheev. Fucker was terrifying.

>Muh weighted realistic swords

That reasoning never made any sense. The only actual weight of a lightsaber is on the handle. At least then it lines up that you had to be proficient in the force to use them, otherwise you'd burn yourself or cut your own limbs.

It's more like
>get fed good meal
>enjoy it
>get fed burnt food
>complain
>get fed actual shit
>realize the burnt food wasn't as bad by comparison

Yoder