This is the best superhero storyline ever. Prove me wrong

This is the best superhero storyline ever. Prove me wrong.

Protip: You can't

>inb4 watchmeme

Other urls found in this thread:

theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/longer-twitter-mark-waid-yells-starbucks-newspaper-stand-t117504.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>hurr durr 90s are bad
>muh Silver Age
>kids these days don't get superheroes
>"Hi, my name's Diana and I'm only capable of being a warmongering bitch or Supes' babymaker."
>DUDE BIBLICAL IMAGERY LMAO

It's mediocre.

New Frontier was better in every way.

Sounds about right, Waid has always been terrible.

Marvels was better at wanking the silver age

>watchmeme

Opinion discarded

fuck off waid

Believe it or not, I actually thought the sequel was a better story.

I dunno, it was okay.

The Shazam sacrifice part was pretty fucking great though, and Ross's goat art.

too bad I fucking despise Superman x WW.

>hurr durr 90s are bad
This is correct.

>muh Silver Age
Not even an argument.

>kids these days don't get superheroes
Sounds about right.

>"Hi, my name's Diana and I'm only capable of being a warmongering bitch or Supes' babymaker."
Did you understand Kingdom come at all?

>DUDE BIBLICAL IMAGERY LMAO
I bet you like Zack Snyder's movies.

Moore's Supreme
Miracleman
Ellis ->Millar's Authority
Starlight
Jupiter's Legacy/Circle
Milligan's Enigma
Omega the Unknown
JSA: The Golden Age
Robinson's Starman
Casey's Wildcats

Super ugly bodies. Where did the artist get their references from? Himself?

Every time they pair up Clark and Diana it's absolute shit, is it impossible to write them well as a couple?

Frequently, yeah.

fucking rad

it aint gon suck itself

Second that.

t. Guy who hasn't read Kingdom Come

>This is correct.
Wrong.

>Not even an argument.
The SIlver Age was good for what it was, attempting to force it again is terrible. cf. Big Bang Comics' garbage.

>Sounds about right.
*tips trilby*

>Did you understand Kingdom come at all?
Yes, I understand that Waid admitted he had no idea what the fuck he was doing with Diana.

>I bet you like Zack Snyder's movies.
If I hate Waid's pointless biblical motifs why would I like Snyder's dumb biblical motifs? Dumb grog.

t. Waidcuck

As far as standalone stories go, yeah it is top 5 when you factor in the god-teir art

>hurr cucks lmao
is that way underage.

But that is wrong, faggot.

Ultimatum was better.

Kingdom Come is worse than the 90's comics it hates. Those comics understood what kids wanted, Kingdom Come is two grown men whining.

Someone post that story about Mark Waid crying and yelling at the phone.

>google it thinking you're just memeing
>mfw

theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/longer-twitter-mark-waid-yells-starbucks-newspaper-stand-t117504.html

Is this what you're talking about?

I'll never understand the hatred for this book.

Kingdom Come was mediocre and you know it.

No older, it was way back when he worked at Amazing Heroes.Someone came to the office one day to see Waid screaming and crying while smashing a phone and everyone else in the office was just ignoring it.

You're wrong.

That isn't Dark Knight Returns...

Nonetheless Kingdom Come is great no doubt!

How can you look at that art and say it's mediocre.

Kingdom Come is the best fun superhero storyline ever made by DC. It did a lot to repair damage to the heroes that was caused by writers trying to cash in on Batman: The Dark Knight Returns' and Watchmen's success.

>implying Alex Ross's flat art is good

The guy couldn't make a decent skin tone to save his life.

Easy it's Alex Ross.

>Alex "I draw the Sameface" Ross
Meh

Ain't gonna argue, it is GOAT tier
>great art
>interesting demonstration of how heroes would act in the face of massive public backlash
>tension between what it means to be human/a hero encapsulated in one character
>nice pitting of characters against each other

You forgot made all the leading characters very unlikable.

Here you go.

I'll be honest, the way Lex brainwashed Shazam sickenins me. The idea of instilling such horrific self hatred in a boy who just wanted to be a hero just disgusts me.

In the ruins of an extreeeeeme future, geriatic manniquns chase strawmen off their static and boring ass lawn.
>painted comics
Check
>heroes vs heroes in a dark future contrived to make the writers viewpoint seem valid
Check
>absolute fucking garbage
Check
It's worse than a Dan Clowes or Rob Liefield comic.

>It did a lot to repair damage to the heroes that was caused by writers trying to cash in on Batman: The Dark Knight Returns' and Watchmen's success.

It did more damage then those in the long run. Wonder Woman specially suffered a lot thanks to KC.

Sorry senpai, Kingdom Come is boring and preachy as fuck. At least the art is fantastic.

The ending is the only thing i dont like about this book.

Anyway the art is boner-inducing and the story-telling is thought-creating. Easy 9.5/10, makes for a great entry point to the DC Universe. You get the point of DC's ideal.

It's the start of the " Dad Comics" era. People just retreating into their nostalgia

>You get the point of DC's ideal.

That all the heroes are dependent on Superman and that without him they lose their morality and start abusing their powers?

Also if one hero kills it's a slippery slope that will lead to them all becoming mindless brutes or whatever

The Golden Age is better

>This is correct.
You could not be more casual.

DC's output in the 90's included TONS of great books.

>knightfall
>death of superman
>zero hour
>blue and red superman
>pic related

You show them, user. It was a great era. No reason to complain at all.

Yeah, like that time Crimson Avenger, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Red Hood, Superman, Batman, Damien, Wonder Woman, Question, or Hawkman killed in main continuity. Everyone turned into murder-machines until the based nu52 saved us.

PAD Supergirl
Starman
Vertigo in general
JLA
L.E.G.I.O.N.
Hitman
Flash
Justice Riders
Young Justice, but I guess the bulk of that was 2000's
Tons of forgotten good-not-great stuff like Hourman, Fate, Chronos, and Stars $ STRIPE.

Anyone who hates the electric Superman era is a pleb.

>Chronos
Hell to the yeah

That's why he's the villain.

Oh look I proved you wrong.

I thought Wonder Woman was the villain.

>PAD Supergirl

90s Supergirl wasn't a gum woman married to Lex Luthor?

Alex Ross is great for covers and big epic splash pages, but he's shite for superhero action sequences

>best fun superhero storyline
but that's Morrison JLA or All-Star Superman

PAD had Superslimegirl fuse with some shithead girl and become an angel with fire wings.

And it was excellent.

or Batman and Robin

I wouldn't say pic related is the best, but it's certainly one of my favorite reads.

Classic Mark Waid silver age wankery, but at least the art was neato.

Waid's a hypocrite too, in one of his Legion runs he had a whole issue telling fans to basically get over their nostalgia and accept something new.

And then Geoff Johns brought back the classic 80's team in his Superman run, it was like a middle finger in Waid's face.

I don't find Johns silver age wankery any more appealing, to be frank. At least Waid managed to write Wally competently without bringing Barry back for no reason.

I'm not going to say that this is the best, but Kingdom Come can't be the best when Secret Identity is better.

It's cute when Shazam thinks he's anywhere close to Superman in powerlevel.

>Shazam
the magic makes up what difference in raw strength there might be

also Marvel is canonically faster

No I agree, Ethan Van Sciver shares some blame too.

Fucking disney shills, god damnit.

That's cause Marvels isn't preachy about it. Unless you meant Earth X but even then that's just Kirby wank.

I liked the sequel-of-sorts in JSA, where Kingdom Come's Superman was pulled into the main continuity and most of the same events started happening - only with a better/different end result. It manages to provide some explanations for how the KC heroes became how they are at the start of the story, too (Jay especially).

One thing that's always bothered me (and it might just have been an editorial goof-up) is that bit in the KFC-of-many-worlds mini where KC's Colonel calls Flash "Wally." I mean, the hat alone makes it obvious that KC Flash is Jay.

it's not like Jay's hat is bolted to his head

I like you

KC Flash is confirmed Wally

not like he has a character anyway

Yeah I would say that these two books did celebrating the silver age better than 'REEE GET OFF MY LAWN'.

Not that I hate Kingdom Come but man I cannot re-read it now-a-days without thinking about current Waid.

New Frontier and JSA Golden Age are better than Kingdom Come

>>muh Silver Age

not even close

not even close

That image is fucking stupid because the classic heroes, other than Superman, didn't retired. They were still active and had become as bad as the 90's like anti-heroes they end up fighting with.

So really, the whole point that pic is trying to make is wrong. I wish Kingdom Come was like in that image. Then maybe that way the comic would have been less of a Superman wank and classic heroes like Wonder Woman would have been better characterized.

God dammit user, that made me giggle

you're a homosexual

>injustice

pretty much

This is the most Waid thing Waid has done in last 5 years.

Not even the best reconstruction piece of that year faggot OP.

Supreme and Miracleman are way better