Why is Disney afraid to show its older cartoons on its channels...

Why is Disney afraid to show its older cartoons on its channels? I remember they used to play their 90s toons late at night, but any trace of their 90s cartoons have vanished from TV.

Because 90s kid nostalgia doesn't pay. Millennials are broke as fuck.

They don't want people to remember they used to make quality programming. They're getting away with making trash and people eat it up.

They're not afraid too, their target demographic has changed
Disney does not compete with the likes of CN and Nick anymore for animation, they've found a niche rooted firmly in kidcoms, they realized more people were watching their channel for that kind of stuff rather than cartoons and decided to focus on it

Remember Disney is a corporation, they do whatever appeals to the most people, and pre teen girls are their primary audience

It's the same reason MTV doesn't air their original cartoons anymore, cartoon fans largely stopped giving a fuck about them and the people who paid a lot more attention to them were the tween audience, so that is what they focus on

Not in Poland.
We still have RR and Ducktales on Disney XD

I was born in '87 and I detest being grouped in with Millenials. I'm about a decade older than the bulk of the SJW generation.

88 here, I know your pain.

Still broke as fuck, though.

Are you kidding? The 90's are trendy as fuck now.

But "free market" "capitalists" always tell us the market will fill all niches!
Seriously though, how does every station going after the same demographic make sense? Shouldn't the market become oversaturated?

You need to spend less time on Sup Forums. It's literally the ONLY place I see 90s nostalgia on a semi-frequent basis.

I'm telling you because I spend tons of time off Sup Forums. The 90's is super trendy in fashion, music, and social media dude.

How about you get out of the computer and look at the world for once

80's is dead. We have 90's hipsters now.

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. I see 60s, 70s, 80s nostalgia in the real world all the time. Even the 50s are making a comeback thanks to the alt-right. But the 90s? No fucking way.

how fucking out of touch you are, 90's nostalgia has BEEN in.

You're so pathetically wrong it's hilarious actually.
(In fact, 90s nostalgiafags are viewed as disgusting manchildren, unlike for any other decade.)

But that's wrong. 90s kids are the ones that buy stuff these days. Disney Channel should be promoting as many 90s shows as possible for that nostalgia dollar. That's why there's as much interest in the Gravity Fa-- I mean the DuckTales reboot.

>90s kids are the ones that buy stuff these days.
With what money? They're the poorest generation in modern history, by far.

I'm born in 91 and I loved duck tales, gargoyles and everything else.

because they don't want the current underage demographic to be accustomed to the higher quality original when they do the reboot.

And? Your generation is still broke as fuck. Money talks, nostalgia doesn't.

>Seriously though, how does every station going after the same demographic make sense?
They don't. Disney alone even has a whole other channel to cater to animation fans...it's called Disney XD. If nostalgic shows got more viewers than Gravity Falls and Star Vs, you bet they'd play them more. But fact of the matter is most people watching don't care about that shit and the old farts who do just watch on the internet for free like they do all other old shows

I wish gargoyles was owned by a different corporation, Its one of the best shows i've ever seen and disney haven't been very nice to it
fuck disney

Nostalgic shows would get far more viewers if they made more episodes of them. This obviously applies to cartoons more than other TV.

>Money talks, nostalgia doesn't.

I was born in '92 and I agree, that's why Funko POP has gotten so common in the collector's market today.

You overestimate how many nerds like us there are out there, very few franchises have the juice and the fanbase to warrant any kind of attention, it's mostly vocal minorities

replace [current decade] with [next decade].Rinse and repeat.Weak bait.
SAD
A
D

Sorry.Was meant for

At least we got something

I'm talking about well-known cartoons, of course. Obscure shit, yeah that's fucked.

The big Purple fucker looks so out of place here, Jaysus Christ

>pre teen girls are their target audience
I doubt it. It more likely paedos is their target audience.

we're always behind, no one treats us seriously.

The well known cartoons of Sup Forums and "nerd culture" in general are the obscure shit of the average person, especially the average person watching disney channel who is like 14 years old

Escape the nerd world for a moment, if you could ask most people what they remember most of the Disney channel, the answer wouldn't be Kim Possible or Darkwing Duck, it would be Lizzy McGuire, Even Stevens, or Hannah Montanah or High School Musical

I'd kill a man to have Bonkers back on TV.

Well face it, you're just about in the middle of the 20-year old period that some marketing guy managed to attach the label "millennial" to.

Now try eating less acocado toast and maybe you can afford a house.

Disney has been remastering their cartoons and making them available digitally. That's far more than most networks do.

I'm glad that Disney is actually making new animated stuff all the time.
Princess Sofia the First is totally awesome. Like, almost every episode has a musical, the world building is fun, the magical setting allows for lots of cool adventures and sceneries, and the girls there are incredibly fucking cute.

Same reason Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Nick, and Boomerang started airing most stuff from before 2010-ish with a few exceptions for their most popular originals or long-running stuff that had aired new episodes in the past couple years

The Lion Guard is far better.

Well, if that is true, then it means that I will have even more stuff to look forward too.

they don't want a new wave of peg waifu artists
note to self: draw more peg

Well to be fair, we are getting The Lion Guard and Tangled The Series. I haven't seen much of either, but from what I have seen, they wouldn't have felt out of place on the old Disney Afternoon block.

Lion Guard skews quite a bit younger than Disney Afternoon usually did. Plus, Disney Afternoon didn't really have the movie tie-in series. Aladdin was the only one (with Timon and Pumbaa being on the block briefly in its final year, and arguably Talespin)

There's nothing in the Lion Guard that skews younger except for the song. It's a TV-Y7 cartoon in everything but name.

What this user said

The "average person" doesn't watch cartoons at all. If they were relevant to this discussion, there would be no cartoons being made. (This applies to your second point as well, BTW.)

Wait, when did this happen?

They did 101 Dalmatians: The Series and Goof Troop in February, I believe. Rescue Rangers was done first late last year, if I remember correctly. They've likely done others.

Don't hope for that. It REALLY didn't age well. Keep it safe and warm in your memories only.

Who cares? Just download the shows you want to watch, throw em on a playlist, and watch them. It doesn't matter if they play on television anymore. Television is dead.

Unless you really have a thing for watching 25-year old cartoons with obnoxious modern commercials for ADD-babbys sandwiched in the middle and with obtrusive pop-up advertisements and logos all over the screen.

>Unless you really have a thing for watching 25-year old cartoons with obnoxious modern commercials for ADD-babbys sandwiched in the middle and with obtrusive pop-up advertisements and logos all over the screen.
Where do you think we are!?

what about duck tales?

It's possible that Sup Forums is littered with shitty pop-up advertisements. I wouldn't know since I use ad-block.

Literally the only counter-culture trends to emerge in the past 5 years from this boring ass generation are vaporwave and soft grunge. Both are trends centring around depressed nostalgic meme kids from tumblr, weird Facebook, instagram and Sup Forums wanking over 90s shit. It's extended to art school kids too, not to mention all the Thrasher/90s skater shit everyone's all over now. Everyone's on this gayass a e s t h e t i c bullshit now. I'm not the other user but I'm 18 and you must be either a massive fucking normie or must be 30+ to have missed this shit.

Why did they put this much effort into such a shitshow? I can think of half a dozen other series that deserves way more love than this one.

If I had to guess, it's because they had the original elements available to easily convert it into HD.

Shows like DuckTales and Darkwing Duck would obviously be more profitable, but they might have to re-animate a lot of the elements, if the HD Goof Troop intro is any indication.

They initially stopped when they wanted to sell those shows as DVD collections. No point in playing them on tv for free when they want people to buy it.

But a few years later they just never picked back up the habit.

Gargoyles has always been out of place for Disney.

Why do you think Disney hates it so much?

What's the oldest cartoon still playing regularly on TV? Spongebob Squarepants?

Yeah, those Disney shows ain't ever returning to TV. And the same goes for any other old cartoons.

Simpsons is nearly ten years older.

Ah, you're talking about the fondness for the 90s of kids *today*, I see. Yes, I've noticed a bit of that, but the problem is that they will almost certainly not retain this into adulthood. It is highly unlikely we will ever see mainstream 90s nostalgia among adults, unlike for the 80s, 70s, 60s, and even 50s now.

Which of course means nobody will be making 90s merch, because kids don't have money to spend (and parents aren't going on nostalgia sprees for them).

That's not what I meant...

But Disney is generally terrible about releasing its cartoons on DVD, at least in full.

Does Boomerang count? Despite what people stay, they do still air stuff like Tom and Jerry fairly regularly.

There's also an obscure-ass non-cable channel called Qubo that airs shit like Denver the Last Dinosaur.

...that's...really...really not the point, numbnuts. The point was that it's an in trend right now. People are making merch and are making bank off of said merch. Lots of it. Hot Topic, all those online vaporwave stores, Agora, Dangerfield. Thrasher, Rage On and all those other all-over print clones, even fucking Nike with shit like vintage Jordans (which isn't Sup Forums stuff, but still 90s based), all those Funko pops based on 90s cartoon characters, etc., I could go on but don't want to make you feel stupider. Just accept that you're old and wrong. And, despite it being beyond the point, it will, in time and maybe in different formats, move into their adulthood because that's how nostalgia fucking works, it's not about how cool the era was or how objectively the stuff from the era was shit or not, it's about people glorifying their pasts and that's something transcendent and it's irrelevant whether you think so or not. But yeah, 90s shit is a current tread. It is profiting. People are making crap to fuel it. End of story.

So instead of addressing my point, you posted a long rant? Why?

But do they still play the old episodes? They still play the old Spongebobs regularly.

If The Lion Guard is preschool aimed, it isn't aimed at them anymore than Gummi Bears was.

190:0

> decade older than the bulk of the sjw generation

you didn't protest the iraq war in highschool? for fuck's sake people need to stop mentioning how "anti-sjw" they are whenever possible

Are you fucking serious

Sure, why not? I especially liked the episode where Sofia was turned into a cute kitten. Or the one where she summoned an evil doppelganger of herself that caused a big mess around. And the one where Sofia travels inside a bunch of enchanted paintings. Now that was really awesome.
Also, I love princess Amber's personality.
All in all, I really like the cast of that show.

Simpsons is to FXX as Scooby Doo used ro be to Cartoon Network