I'm scared Sup Forums. I'm a writer...

I'm scared Sup Forums. I'm a writer, but I'm afraid I will make bad decisions just like Tartavosky and I think my dialogue and personality will never improve with my writing.

Gendy had one good episode in S5, episode 2. and then everything went to hell.
It's like his writing got dumber once he let Ashi become a protagonist.

How do I keep my kino skills intact?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=evaR8L8e1-U
youtube.com/watch?v=SF9bUjffpZ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Bad decisions like Tartavosky
>How do I keep my kino
>Kino
You can't keep what you never had.

By not caring about what others think and going forward with what you've got without "trying" for consistency. If you know your story and your tone, consistency will come naturally.

Get off of Sup Forums for a while. This place has a tendency to stifle the honesty of creation with its opinions, giving us a poor picture of how people can recieve a work. This goes the same for tumblr and reddit.

>It's like his writing got dumber once he let Ashi become a protagonist.
No wonder your writing is shit, you can't even tell the difference between a protagonist and a deuteragonist.
Also you're the most fucking Sup Forumsntrarian I've seen so far. Seriously? You disliked even Scaramouche and Sudoku Jack?

It's quite simple.
Genndy didn't do the continuation of Samurai Jack as a work of love, but one of money.
He wanted to use the hype of SJ to get as much money as he could for more important projects. Get something you're passionate about, user.

>I'm a writer

Oh cool post some of your work.

Why didn't Gendy just hire a writer to do all the dialogue and romance? His character "chemistry" is terrible and was terrible even in Sym-bionic Titan.

The only thing I'd hire Gendy for is choreography, but otherwise none of his jokes, dialogue and especially not his art style.

The character chemistry was the ONLY GOOD thing about Sym-Bionic Titan.

Well, you can't spell (Tartakovsky) and you're using Sup Forums's cute little made-up word for "super awesome but don't tell the normies tee hee"... so I'm not sure there's much to salvage here.

Especially for your personality.

Episode 3 was also masterclass.
And episode 4 was nothing to sneeze at.

>And episode 4 was nothing to sneeze at.
Yeah, it was just so boring it made me fall asleep.

Except 'boring' is a subjective criteria and if you compare E1-3 and E4, E4 has the exast same mood, the exact same atmosphere, the exact same pacing, the exact same everything except they gave that stinky excuse for a human being they call 'women' one scene focusing on her character and suddenly it's terrible in your eyes.

Collaborate with other writers. Let them proofread your stuff and brainstorm with them. They can come up with new concepts that you may not have thought on your own, or point out flaws that might have eluded you, or figure out ideas on how to improve the parts that you're struggling with.

...and my thoughts on writing advice seem to be the exact opposite from this user's Which one of us is right or wrong? I dunno. My personal opinion is that hearing out other people's opinions (even if it's harsh criticism) can help a creator to improve their work. But I suppose it's possible that trying to appeal to everyone and taking all opinions into consideration may end up creating a story that's safe, bland, mass-marketable, but not too memorable or impressive.
I feel that if you happened to be a truly visionary artist, allowing other people to affect your story may hurt the work. But most people aren't exceptional individuals like that, and that's why listening to critique is important for them. You can't improve if you don't know what you're doing wrong.

Also, the other anons are kinda right. Resorting to a fashionable Sup Forums buzzword like "kino" and referring to Ashi as "a protagonist" are a sign that you already need to improve your writing.

You're an idiot. My problem with that episode has nothing to do with Ashi at all. It's that NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENED.

What happened in E1?

first off nice jack bait thread

second just take miss frizzles advice you dipshit and start writing!

I say a combination of both is best since too much of either can damage your growth. At the very least he should break the mindset this place is giving him enough to embrace others for the sake of his characters.

Scaramouche
doggirls
THE INTRODUCTION OF THE FUCKING CULT
Are you retarded, user, or simply pretending to be?

Moshi moshi baitou desu

Characterization happened. The fact they threw most of it out right after isn't that episode's fault.

He did it as a work of love but not love for samurai jack

I can't wait for your generation of sjw lying idiots to kill themselves already and get replaced by the intelligent successful people of 2020.
It can't come soon enough. It should have came way back in 2007 when you faggots started with your garbage.
You're right and don't you worry about ever letting shit people or other people with boring premises to ever hurt a stubborn visionaire's work.

>genndy for choreography
And animation timing.
He might be the best in the industry when it comes to the actual mechanics of animating

Episode 4 has character interaction, beautiful backgrounds, more depth into Ashi's raising and Jack's morality.

You can't keep intact what have obviously never existed. If you want to improve as a writer, you read books, watch movies, etc. If you want to improve at shitposting on Sup Forums, you stay the course.

And none of that is ACTUAL SHIT HAPPENING, in fact the first two shouldn't even count at all, it's part of the show not the episode.

Dude, how many years have you spent writing? Once you answered that i can tell you...

You call yourself a writer, are asking for advise on writing, worry about dialogue and personality, and then claim that the only good episode was the one that was nothing more than a 20 minutes fighting sequence.

The episode was great for its tension, its music, its art and its animation, not because the writing was good.
And like others have said, unless you have a portfolio with examples of your writing and your "kino skills", then I suggest you refrain from calling yourself a writer or comparing yourself to a guy whose weight in the industry comes from his high quality animation and not his memorable writing.

Keep in mind that there's like a 12 year gap between Genndy working on Season 4 and Season 5, as well as the fact that Season 5 was made to actually conclude the series rather than follow the same formula as before. In fact most of Season 5 critiques are about it being too much of a departure from the norm.

Listen to feedback and criticism. That's all you can do.

and remember, there are people who will criticize regardless, even that some were unnecessary.

youtube.com/watch?v=evaR8L8e1-U

And there are people who will be overly excited on a lot of things.

So, it is up to you how you determine which feedbacks are legit and which are shitposts, and there are hiveminds who do not know what they are doing. It is all up to your decisions.

>I'm afraid
>being scared this early in the game

you ain't going to make it. Sup Forums of all places is full of people with """""great"""" ideas who don't stop to think about execution or how it affects the theme. Most of the criticism of Jack is based on what people wanted vs. what happened. In fact I'd say the majority of fanboy sites complaints operate this way. They don't stop to think about what the person was trying to accomplish and only think of what they wanted.

>Kronk, get the bait
>the bait?

Jack and Ashi getting to know each other for the first time?

episode 4 is noticeably lighter in tone than the first 3 episodes, but that's okay.

>so little dislikes
>so much people agreeing with him in the commments
>people seriously complain about Aku not killing Jack instantly
>people assdevastated that Jack went back to the past
holy shit

I don't really get people's beef with it. Romance was awkward but everything else seemed on par

>I'm a writer

He didn't make a mistake, the fanbase just had 13 years to build hype

user, without that hype, it would never have existed.

How do we stop Barry Allen?

OP it's been like a day now still waiting for

Be original, but don't assume that being original automatically makes something good. Genndy basically just stole a bunch of stuff from Star Wars and stuck in in SJ while trying to pass it off as his own.

Pissing off Sup Forums doesn't hurt, either.

How long have you been doing this? I've been writing since about 2009 or so, and I'm still not amazing at it. I'm getting better, but that's about it.

Things like these, they take time. Even if it seems like you're not moving, or going backward, it's all part of the process.

As a writer he should be able to name at least 10 characters in all of his "works", describe in synthesis the settings of said "works", and to an extent, give us a rundown of what their plots are.
If he did that, I would argue that the possibility of him being a writer is there without the need to read whatever he claims to have written.
Then again, only a writer could provide that information quickly and eloquently, even going as far as to answer any questions regarding the stories to add to his credibility.
Instead we have some faggot criticizing Genndy in another shitty thread with no arguments whatsoever.
Bravo, OP.

>How do I keep my kino skills intact?
Get an editor or someone critical, but fair, to read your stuff. Someone to tell you straight when you've written self-serving or general shit.

and there is type of video that praises the show too much and can get a little too emotional

youtube.com/watch?v=SF9bUjffpZ0

it is like people just can have balance in between for Christ's sake. Some of the fans in those comment sections obviously do not expose to series that has THE unsalvageable ending and content.

Know when to let characters go. You could tell that Ashi was a "pet" character for Genndy.

Expert troll, 10/10

And if truly not, then fuck me, don't become a writer whatever you do. Or grow up a little.

Don't write with your dick. Genndy couldnt help but write with his dick.

Be careful that you are not just writing your waifu, or your husbandu, or your self-insert. You are not objective enough to make them interesting or compelling to others.

See, the problem is that we're talking about opinions on Sup Forums, which aren't really opinions, they're just shitposts made to garner the most (you)s.

>already assuming you're good
just do what you want, find your strengths through criticism and work on those

Perfectionism is the enemy of creativity. Sup Forums perceives every minor flaw as totally damning and superseding of any positives. Sup Forums has the worst possible outlook for anyone who actually wants to create anything

>perceives every minor flaw as totally damning and superseding of any positives
Those are the things people will make to the finales of all the shows. Obviously the finales can't cover every person's opinion and expectation, so the arguments and flame wars are deemed to happen. However, if the author delivers what he or she intended, that is all what I want to see I have seen many shows that fail miserably due to constantly pandering the fanbases.