Gabby Rivera, writer of America

Gabby just gave an interview on PBS newshour. Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=AJOV_Ni04Nk&feature=youtu.be

I try not to think about her ever.

I'm gonna be completely honest here, terrible fashion sense aside, I think she's kinda cute.

Well, I suppose if she attracts gay men it's something.

Wasn't America already cancelled?

only underfunded state propaganda outlets like pbs or npr would give feminist trash like her the time of day.

Someone confirm this please, the board needs good news.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was

uh?

EXCUSE MEEEEEEE?

BROWN BABE?

BROWN? BABE?

THAT IS MY RACE, MY COLOR, NOT YOURS YOU BITCH! MY PEOPLE FOUGHT AND DIED FOR THEIR FREEDOM FROM SLAVERY, YOU BITCH!

HOW DARE YOU!

HOW!
DARE!
YOU!

*snap snap snap*

OH NO SHE DEEEDNT!

That's a Man.

>Them dislikes

>not wanting to fuck the shit out of a plump, butch Nuyorican as she screams dirty talk in a mangled, contextually inappropriate approximation of Spanish

not enough

Only in the eyes of the rest of the world.

"oooOOHHHHH MI GENTE.....si, SI like that....thrust harder into my brave Latinx pussy OOOOoooh....DOWN with the whites....mAMA MIA...."

You find Bobby Hill attractive? What the fuck?

>Cool. Gonna buy it. As a heterosexual man, I don't really like batman or superman much... nor football heroes and such. I don't understand why men always must admire other men. I like to look at women, in sports, music, movies... America Chavez is cool.

How can one person be so pathetic?

Years of indoctrination.

She's white, right?

She's as much of a "person of color" as Shaun King is.

I like how they introduce her as the "writer of Marvel's first queer latina superhero" like she had something important to do with a character made by two white guys.

Tell Sup Forums about it and they'll rise it up like a storm

I described this book to my friend, and he went "What does she look like?
Me: "Exactly what you'd expect"
The next day "Yep, that's what I expected.

She's about as brown as boiled chicken.

>Brujah

WORST CLAN

No but the new lead actor is floundering and the ratings are terrible so its on it's way out

>comments open

How long will this last?

>How long will this last?
Until she manages to translate the insults in spanish, so it will take a while.

You guys care so much about shitty books.

>mAMA MIA...."

Well, that's basically Marvel's entire output right now so yeah.

Good books don't allow for a storm of shitposting.

Being angry provides a high and an outlet for day to day tension.

I might have said because I think they can do better, but at this point I've lost hope for Marvel and just enjoy my monthly bitching about this comic and others like Squirrel Girl.

It just feels good.

Wouldn't paying attention to good comics and not pretending to be made online be better?

You assume they're not reading comics they enjoy and venting about comics they don't as a form of stress relief.

Wow, I they really only did this interview to push an agenda didn't they?

Who the fuck cares about America Chavez's ongoing? It's tanking harder then that weird crew wakanda book. Why not talk to fucking Christopher Priest, he's black, and popular.

Also, holy shit she's so white lol.

What's a bruja?

A witch.

>I didn't know anything about comics or superheroes

Holy fuck Rivera you are not supposed to admit this... You are basically one of those tumblr SJWs that like superheroes but don't buy the comics. Now you are writing an IN-continuety comic. You don't admit you know nothing about the universe you are writing in. Holy shit, why is she so fucking dumb.

I care about the mindset that allows a person like Rivera to get hired.

>reading comics too piss yourself off so you can relieve the stress that you inflicted on yourself
That doesn't sound healthy
Spanish for witch.

I hope the incotenant feminist bitch gets raped to death for killing marvel

Bruja means witch. Wicked witch. Is that supposed to be good?

It's not like she is even trying to pretend she knows her continuity in her shitty comics.

>fat
>"genderqueer"
>doesn't speak spanish well but is still TOTALLY PORTO RICAN GUISE
>writes a comic that is nonsensical in plot
>talks about "brownness" when she's beige at most

Why are you expecting anything from this person? If anything it would have been a surprise if she wasn't a retard.

She is a minority. It actually pisses me off knowing there are good writers but marvel doesn't want to hire them cause their not brown

>That doesn't sound healthy
It's actually pretty healthy, nothing I say about a shitty comic book online holds any weight so it legit improves my mood in real life a lot better.

Everybody that read America knows that she doesn't know a thing about continuity but that still doesn't mean you can just admit that to the public.

I'm expecting more from Marvel, letting her go un critiqued will just allow them to push more idiots down our throat.

Getting angry about comics prevents me from getting angry about anything else, it's cathartic.

I mean the intentionally making yourself mad part. It seems like something a retard would do.

Why do the most disgusting human filth come out of the Bronx?

Pretty much, never understood the collectivism and segregation of races/identities. The "only gays can write gays" kind of garbage. As a personal Bisexual man and a degenerate, the best gay characters I've read in fiction are all written by straight males. This idea that we need to identity segregate is fucking retarded.

Whats wrong with what he said?

It's like making myself cry by watching sad movies it just feels like taking weight of your shoulder to decide what to get angry about, comics books are irrelevant and I only express my anger online so it's kind of therapeutic.

he's implying admiration and idolization is always sexual in nature, just makes him look like a starved desperate foreveralone

I get that. Shitting on shitty comics is pretty rewarding but also sort of depressing when you see the rate of released shitty comics increasing.

No.

im looking in from the outside and i read this in the comments

>America Chavez was ruined by this creature. America was fine in Young Avengers but this androngenous blob of living shit decided to make her nothing but her sexuality and color. Even her fucking origin doesn't even make sense. She comes from a different dimension and decides to adopt Puerto Rican culture because they're brown like her. Literally every issue is offensive. She doesn't even speak Spanish, she fucking peppers in Spanish terms in hopes of making her shit sound culturally viable to A Spanish speaking audience. I can't wait till this insulting comic is finally cancelled.

Is this true? What the fuck? How is "she's brown so she's just like them" not racist as fuck?

Honestly, I don't think that fat fuck even knows spanish.

She doesn't.

A bunch of actual Spanish-speakers mocked and insulted her and her shitty writing in Spanish on twitter and she thought she was being praised by them until alerted.

Her Spanish in the first two issues was gratituous and incorrect and completely dropped in issue three.

Too be fair I think she was ruined when it was revealed that instead of just be a lesbian she's a lesbian from the lesbian dimension where everyone is a lesbian.

I'm gonna defend the chick here. She got handed the fucking dumb ass backstory that Gillen made.

America just started out as a plain latina chick, Gillen made her from a lesbian world created by a gay dude so why the fuck would she be latina?

She tried to explain that. It wasn't great. But neither was the foundation for it.

Gabby pls...

Yeah. I've been basically the only person bumping a thread about a comic I like. Doing one thing doesn't keep you from doing the other.

>she's a lesbian from the lesbian dimension where everyone is a lesbian.

you fucking what

So she has written a young adult novel as well about another gay female Puerto Rican character, how much of a narcissist do you have to be to keep writing fiction where the protagonist is basically an idealized version of yourself?

I didn't say it was good. Just that she's not wholly responsible for it.

Gillen did some retarded shit to this character.

Young Avengers, man.

>a lesbian world created by a gay dude

Why?

Oh youtube

So there's a dimension of lesbians and she's from there.

My theory is that he separated the men that would naturally be there to create his own paradise dimension, and Lesbian World is a side effect.

>Gillen made her from a lesbian world created by a gay dude
Excuse me.
what

We'll know with the September solicits.
The TPB collects up to August.

My guess is they'll drag America (and Iceman) out to 11-12 issues so Marvel will have something for the GLAAD Media Awards.

No I agree. While I think Gillen is a good writer America's origin make her hard to reconcile as an actual representative of that culture. One book Icon talked actually talked about it because the main character was an alien who looked like a black man and how while he was part of the culture because he's been on earth hundreds of years, he still had issues because he was an alien and could not be an exact beacon of the culture. By making her from the lesbian dimension he created something that actually make her more hard to relate to than Wonder Woman. With Wonder Woman at least you have grounding in Greek myth. Also Utopia parallel really?

I tried to skim to find the explanation but I really can't relive this whole thing. Here's page proving it.

>the people complaining haven't read the comic
>they haven't even read the one good comic she was in
I'm not even surprised

Young Avengers isn't a good comic. Maybe try Ultimates.

Reminder that Christohper Priest got ZERO eisner nominations for his Black Panther run.

Young Avengers was good, it was trash but it didn't try to pretend it wasn't. The first volume was even called Style > Substance.

I read it and thought it didn't work than. Look Gillen tried his best but the fact is he probably should have made a original character instead of, putting on traits that are hard to reconcile together. Even Gabby had to work in an explanation on why she actually was Puerto Rican. He started with Latina Superheroine named America and than that led to Lesbian dimension.

I'm not saying it wasn't stupid, just that it's not surprising people in a thread that is just about complaining are surprised by a very basic fact about the character.

underrated post

Look calling that a basic fact is very hard when not a lot of comic mention it. While it is in Young Avengers every other comic featuring her does not mention the detail other than she is from another dimension. Her basic facts in most other appearances are Latina, Lesbian, and a jerk. It's not like Spider-man or Captain America, not a lot of comics show her origin and when you explain it, it sounds like the stupidest thing a white person has come up with to try and get tumblr brownie points.

Being self-aware that you're trash is neither good writing nor makes you any less trash.

There is 100% difference between being trash and being trash but pretending you are better. It and this new America series is a perfect example. Young Avengers set out to be trash with teenagers doing dumb teenage things and having dumb teenage problems. It succeeded
Ultimates was terrible by the way, it's only saving grace was Rocafort and even he wasn't on his a-game

as a latino i take great offense in this bullshit
i dont need a character to eat tacos and have a quincieaniera to relate to it, just make good comics, fuck you.

>Ultimates was terrible by the way
user, is there legitimately any reason why you're trying to bring down your credibility like this? I know for a fact this isn't bait so I'm trying my best to wonder why would you think it would somehow make your argument more solid, to praise the comics that did nothing interesting with any of it's characters, while shit talking another that actually tried to explore a ton of cool concepts and handled all of it's characters pretty well.

>the protagonist is basically an idealized version of yourself
And on top of that, she added a self-insert that has appeared in every issue so far. If America Chavez was Sonichu, her self-insert would be the Chris-Chan.

Fun fact: his username sounds like "el sumiso", "the submissive" in spanish.

it means cunt
maldita bruja = fucking cunt

She's still trying to make "nerdburger" a thing.

It just wasn't grabbing me, I read three issues and it was completely uninteresting.

If witches have always been this obnoxious, I think I understand why we used to burn them at the stake.

how do they make more lesbians?

Very carefully.

What dumb teenage problems? Turning Prodigy bi just to make him a home wrecker? Having Hawkeye and Cockroach Guy fuck? The Afore mentioned Gay messiah to a lesbian planet?

Yeah, relationship problems count as dumb teenage problems.

>Spanish-speakers mocked and insulted her and her shitty writing in Spanish on twitter and she thought she was being praised by them until alerted.
Are there any pics of this?

Dude, really? I like my fair share of frumpy and androgynous chicks but that bitch looks like Rosie O'Donnell with an even worse fashion sense.

>claims to hate men and masculinity
>dresses like a man

Why are lesbians like this

At least femmy gays dress like that because certain other gay guys find it hot, whereas seemingly little to no lesbians find the butch shit hot