Has any work out there ever successfully combined prose with comics...

Has any work out there ever successfully combined prose with comics? And I'm talking novel or novella length prose and actual comics not just illustrations. Would it even be possible without being jarring and annoying?

no, nobody has ever done that

I'm glad you asked us so we could tell you

Dial back the sass user. I thought it be an interesting topic.

>Dial back the sass user
Hang on, I'll need to find my sass dial.I can never remember where I left it.

I feel this thread is veering into a direction I had not intended.

Captain Underpants.

Alan Moore pretty frequently includes long sections of prose in his works, usually at the start and end of chapters. Often it shows us a character's perspective when we wouldn't normally get it, or an outside perspective on something the character might not know about.

I've never read Captain underpants but isn't it still more in 'accompanying illustration' territory like other kid's books?

Yeah, I thought of him too. You think that's the only way to go about it though? The meat of the stories are being in the comics with the prose being supplementary. I was wondering if it might be possible to have them working in tandem or if there are too many problems to completely blend both mediums into a story.

>I was wondering if it might be possible to have them working in tandem or if there are too many problems to completely blend both mediums into a story.
You need to brush up on your McCloud.

Alan Moore has some poetry comics in Negative Burn. Very great stuff. There is also a really cool ongoing in Heavy Metal that is a poem about insects and very beautifully illustrated.

I really wish I could find more of this kind of stuff, I really like the combination of poetry and art.

What he say about it?

Everything you mong.
You shouldn't even be posting on Sup Forums unless you've read Understanding Comics.

Also Enki Bilal does some work with prose, Julia & Roem is very prose heavy, sorry I couldn't get an english version to post

I didn't realize there was a goddamn entrance exam to Sup Forums. I'll probably read it later but since I'm here now you could not be a dick about it.

>you could not be a dick about it
What website do you think you're on?

Sup Forums

Reddit 0.9.2

Frankenstien Alive, Alive! was published with essays and Mary Shelly's prose.

Lots of Lovecraft has been successfully adapted, and I can practically guarantee you the "Pride and Prejudice & Zombies" bullshit has some form of graphic novel companion somewhere.

>ctrl+f
>"Diary of Teenage Girl"
>0 results
I knew this board was casual as fuck but WEW

We've been waiting for you to post it, what took you so long?

Watchmen did

Try John Hanciewicz's comics, they're like poetry.

Yeah no-one on here's heard of Phoebe Gloeckner, obviously.
I actually own this, she's one of the best autobio cartoonists ever--the film adaptation was really good too. In fact the edition which was released to coincide with the film's release has an even nicer cover than the original edition.

yes, it made me want to fuck young Stalin

Subnormality by Winston Rountree maybe? Some of his comics are half illustration, half walls of dialog/narration.

Subnormality is fucking garbage though. It's more that it has no idea how to use the graphic medium than it is actually attempting to combine it with prose.

I was busy fucking your mom

Adaptation is not combination you fucking moron

so you just want words words words?early Love & Rockets, I guess?

>prose is just wordswordswords
No.

no u

L&R is never that wordy. Unless you're just used to reading post-Ultimates superhero decompression.

I don't understand what you mean. Literally every comic that isn't written in verse is prose.
I'm even more confused that I'm apparently the only person that's confused about this.

Is that.. Stalin?

there are no walls of text, but the first few issues of Jaime's work are literally letters sent from Maggie to Hopey

I think he means DEEEEEP stuff.

For someone who doesn't know what prose is? I guess even Civil War 2 would qualify.

>. I was wondering if it might be possible to have them working in tandem or if there are too many problems to completely blend both mediums into a story.

how would that even work, like a chapter of text then a chapter done as a comic, or some sort of mix where, for example, the action scenes are done as a comic where as the calmer, slower paced ones are prose?

Story writing is commonly referred to as "prose" in a general since and not always used in its broad dictionary definition. OP was pretty clearly talking about merging two mediums, those being comics and novels. No one else in this thread is confused by this because they aren't autistic pedants or total dumbasses.

Obviously they are dumbasses if they use words like "story writing".

There you go being autistic again. But sorry if I tripped up my words a little explaining a concept everyone else understood implicitly.

prose are poetic like writing and description. Narration can prose.

Yeah that's exactly the sort of thing I'm wondering about. It seems like the biggest advantage to using prose is exposition and interiority. Maybe anything with extensive dialogue and action or a new setting would be comics.
From what I understand seems to do something like it. I'll have to check it out.

Dave Sim's Cerebus the Aardvark.

Some prose segments were great, some were less than great, but by golly it happened.

Too bad this story was dogshit

A compilation of cliches and predictability without an ounce of interesting statements on the subject matter it presents, this was easily one of the most disappointing GNs to ever grace its way into my life

No, fuck off writing a script and then having the dialogue in sequential art is not prose.

poetry and prose are mutually exclusive.
in many ways prose just means "It's written word, but not actually poetry"