Comic Character popularity tier rankings

Batman villains:

S-list: literally everyone and their grandma knows who these are
>Joker
>Catwoman
>Riddler
>Two-Face
>Penguin

A-list: Anyone interested in the character knows who these are and they regularly appear in various media
>Poison Ivy
>Bane
>Ra's al Ghul
>Mr Freeze
>Clayface
>Scarecrow
>Killer Croc

B-List: If you read the comics, you know who these people are
>Mad Hatter
>Firefly
>Ventriloquist
>Zsasz
>Hush
>Hugo Strange

C-List: You probably have to have been reading the comics for a while
>Killer Moth
>Ratcatcher
>Maxie Zeus
>Calendar Man
>Humpty
>Great White Shark
>Copperhead

D-List: Most people don't know who these are but might have heard of them
>Prometheus
>Ten-Eyed Man
>Kite-Man (pre King meme)
>Crazy Quilt
>King Tut

>Z-List: Fuck off, Morrison
>Signalman
>Mirror-Man
>Sterling Silversmith
>Zebra-Man

Nice job

For conversation's sake, where would other characters go on this list?

No OP, but I suggest you make a suggestion.
For example, Professor Pyg is definitely in the last category.

Professor Pyg was recently in a major video game, and was created as part of Morrison's epic. I'd put him at at least C-list

Now do other rogue galleries

Like Lex and Magneto are S list

Plus Beware The Batman.

Honestly those are some of the only supporting characters that reach that level. Off the top of my head the only other S-List characters I could name are:
Superman
Lex
Robin
Wonder Woman
Flash
Spider-Man
X-Men (as a whole)
Fantastic Four (as a group)
Hulk
Avengers (only post-2012)

Even Magneto I might bump to A-tier; if I asked my 52 year old mom who that was, I don't think she'd know.

Given the success of suicide squad would harley be considered s list now?

Harley is S+
Mousedrones BTFO

I think it takes more than one big movie. S-List character have been around for decades and are just a part of pop-culture now. She's definitely A-List now

Where does Dr. Hurt rank

D-List or Z-List?

Nah, she was the most popular halloween costume last year. Every normie ever knows her. Definitely S List now.

I don't even read allthat much Superman. I'm sure he has tons of rogues but I'll just go off the ones I can remember. I'll pad out the list with some supporting characters

>S-Rank
Lex
Zod
Bizarro

>A-Rank
Darkseid
Brainiac
Doomsday
Lobo

>B-Rank
Mongul & Mongul II
Cyborg Superman
Metallo
Mxypltk or however you spell his name
Livewire
Misc. New Gods

>C-Rank
Imperiex
Eradicator
Parasite
Silver Banshee
Atomic Skull
Zod's minions (e.g. Faora, Non, that other guy)
Manchester Black & the Elite
Intergang
Blanque

I'm not sure whose villain Grundy is, or if he's like the Wrecking Crew where he's a villain for one guy but jobs to everyone else in the world because fuck the Wrecking Crew

anyways, pls no bully

>inb4 characterfags start coming in claiming shit like Namor is S-tier

Do Wolverine, Deadpool, Green Arrow, and Flash rouge's please

I feel like people may ask but Bizarro has to be that high because his existence coined the term "Bizarro World". Even though the word "bizzarre" means strange, unfamiliar, etc, Bizarro itself means that something is the opposite of what you expect.

Darkseid and the like might be more of a thread but the layperson is more likely to know that phrase than to know who Doomsday is

Does Green Arrow even have rogues outside of Merlyn and poverty? And all of Flash's rogue are basically on the same level. They even hang out together and eat pizza and play video games and trade baseball cards

>Do Deadpool

B-List
>Deadpool

C-List
>Cable

That's it.

I'd add Parasite and Toyman to B-Rank, but otherwise that seems about right.

Brick
Cheshire
Clock King
Constantine Drakon
Cupid
Deathstroke
Death Dealer
Doctor Light
Duke of Oil
Shado
Prometheus
Onomatopoeia
Solomon Grundy

Lobo is B-tier he's fallen off the radar a lot in recent years

Henshaw is probably C-list I say this only because I'm damned sure 90s toonfags remember Mongul, Mxyzptlk and Metallo quite well

>Deathstroke
>Solomon Grundy
>Doctor Light
>Green Arrow villains

>Everyone else
>even breaking B-List

Lobo got a big boost for being in Injustice and being on Batman's new Justice League

Cyborg Superman is high because he's moved onto being an asshole to other people, namely the Lantern Corps, so he has a bigger in universe prescence

I also realize that I skipped over Superboy-Prime, but I'm not sure if he;s a Superman villain or just a Universe villain

Villains can have more than one person to hate you know?

>B-List hero with Z-list villains
>Worth tiering

what did you hope to gain by posting this

Z list

>anyone of those
>z list
please go

>C-list
Time Trapper
Fatal Five
Universo

>D-list
Every other Legion villain

>S-List is just Ada West villains + Two-Face

it's been over 50 years and it still is the first thing a lot of people jump to when they think of Batman

Wait, no, Fatal Five and maybe Time Trapper to B-list

None of them break higher than D-List. C if you're feeling really generous. I mean fuck, not even his own show wants to use them and had to borrow other characters' baddies instead

Count Vertigo's a pure Green Arrow villain who's B-List, C-List at worst.

Are the original Legion of Super-Villains C-List or B-List?

>Constantine Drakon
>Duke of Oil
Who are these guys?

C-List at the most.

>Grundy
His first appearance was in a Golden Age Green Lantern comic but I think that for general audiences he's pretty much a Batman villain by now, because of Long Halloween and the Arkham games.

>deathstroke
>solomon grundy
>>not breaking higher than d-list.

>in the 60s it was Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler
>in TAS it was Joker, Penguin, Two-Face and Poison Ivy

Is there a current fearsome foursome in the rogues gallery ?

I wasn't counting them because they're not Green Arrow villains

Well there's no current big Batman TV show, so I'd probably default to the Nolan villains

Joker, Two-Face, Bane, Ra's

Spidey himself is S-tier, but do any of his villains qualify? He has a lot that are definitely A-tier

Venom

I'm hesitant to agree with you since the only major film he's been in was pretty much hated by everyone. Films are the ultimate popularity boost for casuals

>I'm not sure whose villain Grundy is, or if he's like the Wrecking Crew where he's a villain for one guy but jobs to everyone else in the world because fuck the Wrecking Crew

He was Alan Scott's Sinestro back in the 40's but somehow made it into a general DC villain.

Were they the main 4 villains before the movie or was it because of the movie?

Oddly enough I feel like he's mostly a Batman villain now, but has been majorly nerfed since he used to go up against Superman

Joker, Penguin, and Catwoman were the main Golden Age villains, but Riddler only had a handful of appearances before the movie and Catwoman hadn't appeared since the mid-50s.

When was the last time Catwoman was a villain ?

>Riddler and Penguin S-tier in terms of popularity
>still have barely any good comics

But why?

the time she was halle berry

I can give you a list of good Penguin comics if you want to.

I'd bump Darkseid up to S-Rank the DCAU really helped him. People were going nuts when he was announced for I2

He literally is though. First appearances doesn't matter.

They aren't as easy to write as Joker and plenty of people still think of them as a joke.
Although Riddler's been getting a push lately.

>Joker's Asylum: Penguin
>Maximum edgelord Penguin

When shit like that appears on a recommended reading list, you know it's slim picking

>S-list:
>Catwoman

Casuals still have no idea who he is. He's popular amongst comic readers but most other people don't know him; that's A-list. S-list if for characters that you could ask anyone on the street and they could tell you who they are.

Literally everyone knows who Catwoman is, regardless of whether you like her

X-Men Villains:

S-list:
>Magneto
>Mystique

A-list:
>Juggernaut
>Sabertooth
>Apocalypse
>Does Dark Pheonix count?
>Hellfire Club
>Sentinels
>The Brotherhood

B-list:
>Arcade
>Lady Deathstrike
>Mister Sinister
>Marauders
>Four Horsemen
>Acolytes
>Silver Samurai

C-list:
>Shadow King
>Wendigo
>Master Mind
>Mesmero
>Spiral
>The Brood
>Hellions
>Reavers
>Mojo

D-List:
>Sugar Man
>Erik the Red
>U-Men
>Freedom Force
>Alliance of Evil
>Nasty Boys
>Gene Nation
>The Savage Land Mutates
>Living Monolith
>Agent Zero
>Legion
>Proteus
>Krakoa

Not positive about a lot of these, but that's how I'd sort these ones.

I would move Poison Ivy up, she's probably tied with Catwoman in terms of popularity. Actually, it might be a good idea to split S into S and S+, just because Joker and Riddler are way more iconic than the other S tiers. Calendar Man can also probably get a promotion thanks to the BamHam games.

>>King tut
>D-list
I don't care for this I know he's better than copperhead and humpty

Gorshin basically made Riddler big

>why doesn't Penguin have good comics
>here's a list of good Penguin comics
>well this one is edgy because I said so now the whole list is just slim pickings

Suit yourself.

Whenever these thread pop up, people are always way too eager to give out "S-list" to popular characters. It's supposed to be reserved for characters that everyone, even those who have never read a comic or seen a capeshit movie in their lives, would be able to instantly recognize.Every comic reader in the world knows who Mystique is, but does Cleetus out in Kansas?

I'd move a decent number of your rankings down one.

S+List: OP is a fag

Lord Death Man

I'd say it's as likely as Cleetus knowing who Catwoman is.
Perhaps even more so, since Mystique has had a large role in most of the X-Men movies, while Catwoman wasn't very relevant to the most iconic Batman movieverse until the end.

do they rank?

I don't care what anyone says this guy is great

How dare you all forget Condiment King.

Sub Two-Face for Harley

Riddler is really hard to write for.

He's only as smart as the writer.

Very good overall if with a couple major shuffles:

Darkseid to S-Rank
Lobo, Parasite, Toyman, and Manchester Black to B-rank.

Lobo's fallen off a good amount (although I love him as a Superman villain and hope he solidly becomes associated with Supes), Toyman and Parasite are classic and quintessential Supes villains, and Manchester Black got both the great story and animated movie of his debut line as well as making a comeback in Super-Sons.

Superman's weird, a lot of his villain CONCEPTS area great but they share way too many powersets.

Is Condiment King the new Kite Man in terms of lameness? I want to see these two battle or team up.

Sorry OP but most member these dudes from the cartoons hugo is A tier

The vast majority of people don't know who Hugo Strange is. Aside from Arkham City he's pretty obscure

The thing I don't understand about Hugo Strange is that, fine, he lost the position of Batman's Moriarty to Joker, understandable.
And he gets frequently criticized for not being original and being an outdated archetype from the pulps that Batman was inspired by. Okay, I can understand that too.

What I don't understand is, if Strange is not liked due to being unoriginal and lazy and archaic, why is Ra's al Ghul so popular then ?
Ra's is just as much of an unoriginal leftover from pulp archetypes as Strange is, but he gets frequent praise and popularity.

Probably a cross of really basic elements unconsciously helping him: a cooler look than Strange, immortality being a cool plot point when used in an otherwise "mundane" franchise (since Batman's grounded in NO-SUPUHPOWAHS stuff even if we all know better), and hot chick ninjas via his League.