Ultimate Marvel Universe

I'm new to comics and I'm starting off with the Ultimate universe. I'm aware that there are two separate universes, so when is it okay to branch off into 616? I'm transitioning from manga to comics, so any help would be appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/search/filename/UltimateRO1/
desuarchive.org/co/search/filename/UltimateRO2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The old ultimate universe is gone. New one coming.

Main marvel earth is prime

They're two radically different universes. Right now 616 has so much shit going on that it's almost unrecognizable.

If you really must I'd say just get the general origins for characters out the way in Ultimate since they're updated versions of their 616 counterparts and jump into 616.

It's better to consider the current MCU movies as backstory to 616 if you're new to it.

If you're cool with endgame of all the Ultimate characters being unceremoniously murdered by Bendis, then go ahead, start Ultimate Spider-Man

The most recent jumping on point for 616 is All New All Different Marvel so Wikipedia that page and start reading a series from that list.

Ultimate Marvel is Ultimately shit for chunks of it. BUT, & I emphasize but, it has it's good chunk of moments as well.

OP here. Holy fuck, I'm overwhelmed.

Which comic/graphic novel should I branch off to once I've gotten the origin stories down?

We made a pretty good Ultimate Reading Order/Recommended Comic list, but I don't have it saved. Anyone have it? It's two images with every ultimate comic color-coded based off of how good/essential it is and a reading order for it.

I don't think there are any Graphic Novels for the ultimate universe. Just stick to Ultimate Spider-man for an ongoing. Ultimate Fantastic Four is good too. Also, read Ultimates 1 & 2.

Trying to read an entire universe is dumb. Just pick a character you like/seem interesting and ask for recs on what is worth reading for them. If you do this for a few characters you'll get a decent grasp on the universe without being inundated with shit to catch up on.

Damn. I was able to find it in the desuarchive, but because their servers are shit, there's no way to actually view it.

Link?

>Miles front and center
>didn't exist until the last few years of Ultimate

See:
>desuarchive.org/co/search/filename/UltimateRO1/
>desuarchive.org/co/search/filename/UltimateRO2/

OP, trust me, trust me,only read ultimate fantastic 4 and ultimate spiderman until peter's death, you'll have a blast, i get giddy just remembering myself reading those for the first time

Ultimate X-Men was alright

I would love a physical collection of Ultimate Spidey up till The funeral preferably in some sort of omnibus or collection but whatever

It has aged like absolute garbage. It was very much a product of its time.

I didn't really care for that arc where they were essentially black op slaves for the US government and thats pretty much the only one I remember

FUCKING THIS

OP this is gonna be your best course of action

>New Ultimate Universe
What?

Just whatever you want. You like Iron Man? Read his book. You like Spidey? Read that.

Tried not to get too overwhelmed by continuity. Yes there past events will be brought up but just Wikipedia the knowledge of you really are interested in it.

Also DO NOT attempt to read everything. If you don't like a book, just drop it and move on. Whatever is going on in that book will not be relevant a year from now.

Avoid Ultimate Avengers

Ultimate Reed survived Secret Wars and has been doing what 616 Reed has been up to. Remaking worlds.

Why?

>so when is it okay to branch off into 616?
Hmm hard to say, maybe after Ultimatum. That's usually the point most people say the Ultimate Universe became unsalvageable and Marvel purposely murdered it to cancel the line. Then again the Hickman Ultimates starts off pretty damn well but has a far less than satisfying conclusion when someone else writes the last issues of the Evil Reed arc.

Didn't some ultimate versions of things feel forced? Like they tried to make it different from their 616 versions on purpose too much? I don't know how to say this right, sorry.

The about Ultimate universe is that it's in no way a good introduction to the characters and won't "prepare" you for real deal.

It was created to be a separate thing for those who don't want to constantly be confused by shit they didn't read in like Marvel Premiere.. It was also designed to appeal to teenagers from the get go, so it was a bit more brutal.

What went right: almost everything with Ultimate Spider-man being it's golden goose. You didn't need to know Marvel comics and you had a variety of series to choose from. You can check out Ultimate Spider-man, Ultimate X-men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. It also has several mini-series that are ok additions, like Ultimates and Ultimate Elektra series. Actually, it's my main gripe with Ultimate universe, if its whole point was to be edgier PG-13 version of original, why they never made Daredevil series? He's a perfect fit and Bendis could've been released from continuity for good. Like how Bob Gale made a run where a dude revealed himself as Daredevil right before Bemdis decided to Out Daredevil. But, oh well.

What went wrong: LITERALLY EVERYTHING. It's dead. Thank Jeph Loeb for it, he was going through personal crisis at the time when his son died and he wanted to like get to the readers brutality of death, how it's out of nowhere, how it's merciless. That he did, he killed an entire fucking universe with six issues. At least Ultimates 3 didn't do irreperable damage (aside from THAT out of character Pyro scene). He genuinly believed that by killing ALL THOSE BELOVED CHARACTERS THAT PEOPLE CARE ABOUT AND THE REASON PEOPLE GO BACK TO COMICS AND LEAVE ALL LOOSE PLOTS UNRESOLVED FOREVER would bring good, like, writers would be forced to come up with something newer and Ultimate universe would differentiate itself from original. That didn't go well, it was clear that Ultimate universe is like a flapping fish in a desert. Ironically, Bendis himself hit the final nail in the coffin with Death of Spider-man.

Just read dude. Read whatever you want and if you really feel lost go back and read some earlier stories. Comics are not hard to get into, the """entry barrier""" is all mental and is also an excuse for people who like to claim they're into comics without reading.

Best advice.

You don't have to read whole Onslaught shindig to get into Thunderbolts, just read Thunderbolts if you want Thunderbolts.

If you ask me user just read it all except anything written by Jeph Loeb. Have fun. I really liked the Ultimate universe.

This is terrible advice. Ultimate Avengers 1-3 + Ultimate Comics: Ultimate Death of Spider-man: Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates were a fucking masterpiece and very much Millar's magum opus when it comes to cape works. They're to Millar's Marvel work what Multiversity is to Morrison's DC work.

There has never been, nor will there ever be, a comic that so perfectly captures the tone and concept of BLACK OPS than the Ultimate Avengers. It's Millar doing for the Ultimates what his Ultimates did for the Avengers.

>except anything written by Jeph Loeb
Ultimate X was alright.

But why is there Ms. America in that pic?

I honestly can't tell if this is bait

Cause she, Carol, Black Panther, and some others are on the 616 Ultimates team, here they're teaming up with the Ultimate Ultimates.

Millar's Superman Adventures >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all of his edgy Ultimate stuff

so is Ultimate Peter alive again?

no he died again during the incursions

Just read Ultimate Spider-man. It is fucking awesome. That is the book you want to read where everyone isn't a gigantic asshole.

Ultimate Avengers is basically Millar doing a self-aware parody of himself. It's alot of fun for how fucking insane it is, it's basically Millar's Nextwave.

ultimate may and JMS may are the best mays

and

People always remember Ultimatum for being a bloody shitshow that fatally wounded the Ultimate universe, but I'll always remember it for turning U JJJ into a huge bro.

Didn't they get rid of the 616 denomination after Secret Wars or something?

Ultimate Fantastic Four is criminally underrated, even if goes to shit near the end.

I agree. It's a must read FF comic book, even if it's AU.

protip:

dont

ultimates is fucking shit and it only gets worse.

Is Ultimates the most overrated comic of all time? Sitting here, the most memorable part of it was the Pyms' domestic abuse and Cap beating Hank's ass.

I read all of Ultimate X-men, including the stuff that came after the relaunches.

I regret nothing, I enjoyed the ride

I regret investing in the Sinister/Apocalypse thing that went fucking nowhere.
I regret liking Pyro because Loeb is a retard.

I honestly don't understand how the Ultimate universe managed to limp on so long after Loeb anally raped it.

It's weird, m8.
I like Hickman's books for instance, but everything has that unpleasant aftertaste of Loeb's shitstorm that makes it harder to enjoy them fully even if they are good. I don't why I feel that way and if I'm the only one.

I think most people felt that way. Loeb really shat it up. I mean, I know they were going for a universe that had consequences, but killing of that many big dollarmaking characters at the same time? And in that fashion? Fuck that was stupid.

I started reading 616 current Marvel just recently. And holy fuck it's a mess. It's definately possible, but since all the titles have had two events at least it gets really confusing early on. Just watch video explanations on youtube, the events are not worth it. If you still want to read everything that's out now like me just start trying to keep up with Captain America Steve Rogers, then look up all the current series and start from #1 of each title. Since the current longest titles are only like twenty-something issues long it's still doable. Also, keep up with the weekly issues from now on, so you don't fall behind on the recent new titles. Just don't worry if you don't understand something about Civil War 2 or Secret Empire.

If you really want to do it hardcore, look up the comics that do their origin stories. You should understand that origin stories are COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. You don't need to know where a character started to understand his current situation, and origin stories keep getting retold and retconned multiple times. Just watch a video or something.

Stick to Ultimate Spiderman. The rest of the Ultimates line wasn't worth reading.

AND STAY AWAY FROM THE X-MEN HOLY FUCK THOSE ARE UNREADABLE.

Fuck off with that. Ultimate X-Men was pretty damn solid for the most part.

Do you even read? I'm talking about current X-Men.

Just pick up a comic and start reading. That's really all there is to it. If you don't understand a plot point, wiki it. Problem solved.

>You chose to save the world OVER ME, REED

Actually maybe it's a good place to ask , i've only read the lee kirby run , the morrison mini and UFF, what are some other reccomended FF runs? I love walter simonson and arthur adams and i think they worked on the title , are their issues good?

They tried to, but people kept using it anyways. The only editor that's a stickler for not using 616 is Brevoort. I remember one panel where 616 was referred to as "The Universe formerly known as 616" which should tell you all you need to know.

Byrne's run and Hickman's run are the second and third best runs respectively. Read them.

>Hickman
Overrated schlock.
>Byrne
Absolute garbage.
Read Simonson's FF instead.