So, now that the dust has finally settled, what's the verdict?

So, now that the dust has finally settled, what's the verdict?

Not of the fifth season specifically but the whole show in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YNkQVoE1rC8
youtube.com/watch?v=evaR8L8e1-U
youtube.com/watch?v=WxLQOV-z2dM
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Samurai-Jack
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I never liked the fight sequences in Samurai Jack but Jack vs the Daughters of Aku was really good

other than that it was kind of lame, not sure why they didn't make the final episode a full hour special

Probably one of the best Cartoon Cartoons. Capable of pulling off serious character-driven episodes, experimental episodes, comedy, action, near-silent episodes. Well-supplied with excellent and enthusiastic voice actors, fun character designs, superb background work, and a great variety of music.

A unique cartoon, appealing to adults or kids, boys or girls, which has stood the test of time and will probably continue to do so. A case for the fact that doing risky or weird cartoons can pay off bigtime.

As a whole it's a fantastic show, but the finale seriously hurts the rewatch value of all other episodes

Best episodes, in no particular order:
>The Beginning
>Birth of Evil
>Jack and the Three Blind Archers
>Jack and the Scotsman
>Jack and the Lava Monster
>Jack and the Zombies
>Jack and the Haunted House
>Season 5 Episodes 1, 2, and 3

oh sweet a samurai jack thread!
anybody got the updated version of this JackIsBack thingy?

I have the final one.

As a whole its a very enjoyable and great cartoon which set out to be a good action cartoon while also experementing with tone/mood/characters/etc.

I feel its rather overrated tho since alot of people call it TRUE ART which sounds cringy as hell. It has cool moments but really now?/spoiler]

>pic related best episode.

thank you user ily

GOAT Series. Has 62 episodes and you can count the legitimately not-good episodes on one hand. Many of them are some of the best and most stylized televised western animated action out there, and the comedic aspects of the series are underrated.

As a whole, it's one of my favorite animated anything ever made. What people forget is that even the original seasons weren't all 10/10 episodes, but even so the whole series had a very consistent quality, even towards it's end. Genndy went in a direction than I would've gone with but that's a-ok. For the rest of Sup Forums it'll trigger their autism to no end but for me I'm very thankful for it.

one of my all time favorite and a good show to follow. I admit the pacing issue in season 5 was some obvious flaws, but those issues didn't bother me much.

i've never watched the show but i've seen snippets of the original and of season 5 online. and i've got to ask to anons who grew up with the series or those who have seen it all, isn't season 5 jarring in comparison?

from what i've seen, the first 4 seasons are lighthearted fun with many jokes. and season 5 looks like it just added a ton of blood and edgy content for the sake of making it "adult". so i'm curious, does season 5 still feel like samurai jack?

Honestly, the violence is not at all jarring, the connected narrative and Jack being so chatty is new, though. Not in a bad way (save the rushed conclusion, which disappoints). Even the old series had episodes that were grim and deadly, and while E1-3 may give the impression this is an ow-the-edge continuation, the following episodes dial it back quite a lot. 4, 6, and 8 in particular are all pretty light-hearted for the most part.

After the first 3 episodes the tone is much closer to the old season's, and that's ironically why a lot of people where pissed off. Probably the ones that hadn't watched the original in years or never to begin with

the first three (or four) episodes are significantly different from the first four seasons because the additions of bloods and more explicit violence are shown. But after that, the remaining episodes are more similar to first 4 seasons but with some twists and different focuses because the season 5 supposed to be the disclosure of the series rather than episodic.
pretty much this. The episode 8 (the one Jack and Ashi fight against Lazarus the slug aliens) is pretty much the only season 5 episode that is most similar to the original series.

Summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Considering that Season 5 basically makes all four seasons moot, it is pretty shitty overall.
As much as I liked the first three episodes of Season 5, I have to pretend that the entire season does not exists so that I can enjoy Season 1-4.

>Watching finale
>Before wedding starts start wondering if there will be a wedding and maybe Ashi will go the way of Nia
>It actually fucking happens
gg

>Jack and the Lava Monster

My nigger

Great art direction, average to great characters, pacing in the original can get tiring due to episodic format, feels unresolved, the final season is mediocre due to rushed pacing and unresolved plot events. And I wasn't assblasted about the ending.

I'd say it's a 7/10 series, an enjoyable one at that.

I was in a shithole without internet from about halfway through the season and only just got back. If I go and watch it, will I be pissed? Or will I enjoy it. I have no problem with Ashi for the record.

Really enjoyed all of it.

But you're kidding to think the dust will ever settle. Bitter fruits will continue to spring forth. We haven't even gotten over Korra's ending here yet.

Yeah, the first three felt a lot like the episode where Jack was being tracked by some galaxy-renown hunters. So it's all part of the theme.

Just watch it and choose for yourself

>Don't mind Ashi

Then you'll enjoy it. She doesn't really take over anything like people who dislike her screech about.

7/10

Depends how much you like awkward romances

8/10 show overall, wasnt the best thing ever, but was pretty good. Bad ending tho.

I thought AT's recent miniseries' were better executed

youtube.com/watch?v=YNkQVoE1rC8

Jack should've defeated the daughters like this

The finale is significantly worse than the rest of the show because there is so much that's wrong with it.

>If I go and watch it, will I be pissed?

depends what your expectations are

there are some pretty great scenes and sequences that are worth watching it for (beginning of episode 10 was one I particularly enjoyed), but the pacing jars a little at times and you... will probably not feel satisfied by the ending

Well thanks anons. Just marathoned through 8, gonna go back and continue tomorrow. It had it's ups and downs so far. 8 was kinda shit though in my opinion. I don't mind romance but that was kind of poorly done, and the kiss was incredibly sudden and forced in my opinion.

That's kinda why it was funny as fuck

I think 8 had some potential for Jack and Ashi, but it fell flat. That fight scene at the start didn't even end right, no visual gags with swear words or anything.

I was specifically referencing that the plot choices/implications of the finale(everyone wiped away) kinda ruins the episodes with the memorable characters that no longer existed

I think it's great, but I just picked up the DVDs and, I'm starting to feel like it's only good if you watch a little bit at a time. No good for binge watching because it starts to feel really samey.

>Probably one of the best Cartoon Cartoons.
Jack isn't a Cartoon Cartoon you dumbfuck.

>no Jack and the Scarab
>no Jack and the Traveling Creatures
>no season 4 episodes at all
shit list tbqfh

Overall it's a great action cartoon. The action is great, the story compelling, the characters memorable, and the comedy typically on point.

I will admit that I hated the finale though. And unfortunately, knowing it ends the way it does makes it hard for me to wanna go back and rewatch the series. Nothing kills a good story like a shit ending.

Why did you hate it?

not that user, but it seems the finale really divided the fanbase into pieces

there are people who hates it a lot

and people who love it very much.

then, there are people who are impartial enough to be some fair critiques

youtube.com/watch?v=WxLQOV-z2dM

In the end, it is all up to you to make the decision, but I hope you still enjoy the series nonetheless.

Well, I guess one more rant about it wouldn't hurt lol.

Aside from it being a rushed mess (as had been stated many times by many people) I have many issues with it. I'd say most if not all of season 5 (barring the finale) seems to be pushing for Jack to let go of the past and to stay to and save the future. The first, what, 6 episodes (I think) are all about Jack coming to terms with having failed to return to the past, how much pain his blind obsession with returning had caused him, and finding new meaning in his new present. He even finds some solace in the future, through his love with Ashi.

Speaking of Ashi, love or hate her, season 5 is as much her story as Jack's. Season 5 treats her as a central character that we're supposed to be invested in and root for. Just as the audience is supposed to be happy for Jack in his finding new purpose and happiness so to are we supposed to be happy for Ashi for finding those same things.

Other than that, season 5 goes out of its way to show the good that Jack has done in the future and the hope he's given to its inhabitants. In episode 6 (I think? The one where he was gonna sudoku himself.) we see communities with flourshing plant life and hopeful populations. It also goes out of its way to let the audience know there are now time portals left.

Everything about the narrative seems to set up for an ending in the future... and never delivers. Instead, the finale uses its last 5 min to suddenly change direction out of no where, shit all over the whole build up of season 5, and unceremoniously wipe everything the audience has formed any attachement to (barring Jack) from existence.

And before it's said, this isn't about "the ethics of wiping out a timeline." It's about the ending being unsatisfying. It's about being narratively blue balled DAMNIT!

Alright, there's my hopefully coherent rant about the ending.

Dear Sup Forums,
it's over, move on. Ashi never existed.
Who am I kidding, I love this ship.

in case you are wondering, there is comic book series before the season 5. Feel free to check it out.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Samurai-Jack

Source? I need to ask them how they matched the artstyle so perfectly.

Honestly what was Genndy thinking when he ended her story like that after focusing so much on her.

Genndy didn't want a completely happy, Disney ending. With Jack's suffering being one of the main things in this cartoon, it's not surprising it would've had a bittersweet ending.

Sorry, samefagging. I think the build-up of Ashi's character hit hard--- as evident by the backlash this ending received. It made it all the more devastating to see her just go like that after we spent this entire last season with her.

Because there was NO OTHER OPTION. She CANNOT exist without future Aku. PERIOD!
What is with you Ashifags?

Does anyone know what the FUCK they were thinking with Jack and the Farting Dragon?

or Jack being naked episode. Those two episodes are pretty bizarre.

Not him, but there's an alternate ending storyboard where the gods help bring Ashi back to existence.

At least that episode was quite enjoyable with it's action scenes as well as seeing jack dressing up in different outfits. JatFD had fucking nothing.

>Establish multiple timelines
>use the same divine intervention you've liberally used this season to bring her back
>don't go back to the past
>make an aside comment about how time travel fuckery lets her stay for no reason
and because I'm feeling really generous to you
>kill her off IMMEDIATELY after past aku dies, rather than acknowledging how different she feels and waiting at least a year for her to vanish.

And even if you HAVE to keep the ending as is(which clearly is not required), at least have her say something meaningful as her last words, or even show her reciprocating Jacks love. essential characterization does NOT work off screen.

or the episode with that totoro creature. Honestly, I am not even sure if I watched it or not. My memory is kind of blurry even after I rewatched it few weeks ago.

I just finished watching that recently as well. It's just Jack getting mad as hell at this thing after it fucks him over, getting his ass handed to him by the some robot greasers after he abandons the thing and then the thing saves him whereupon they walk into the sunset. Not necessary but ok filler.

agree. But my favorite fillers are Jack remember the past and the tale of x9. I only remember the segments when I was younger, but those episodes hit me really hard.

>the tale of x9
Whatever happened to Lulu? (sweet thing)

maybe she dies long before season 5. Though, I hope she reborn in a better timeline where she can be with x9 peacefully.

>A robot built using Aku's scientific advancement
>built as an assassin for the sole purpose of taking down aku's enemies
>Met lulu during the execution of one of these jobs
How is any of this supposed to happen without Aku?

Sup Forums already voted it the best cartoon of all time, remember? There's no taking it back now.

CELTIC MAGIC!

The fact that what you said is actually plausible is a testament to how unfitting a dramatic major character death is for this show.
yes I'm still fucking mad about it

Federal law requires at least one (1) farting central episode of any children's show.

Aren't we all, friend.

I just wanted her to be happy :/ I wouldn't have cared about any other circumstances as long as the show ended with Jashi alive and well and aku dead.

This is exactly why we can't have nice things... like an actual good season. Because of whiners like you who just don't understand proper writing.

the show up until season 5 was a timeless classic

season 5 was disaster, it was so obviously taylor made for reddit, what a disgrace.

Except season 2, that one was mostly shit.

(Also, the word is "tailor".)

the writing for CI was alot of things, proper is not one of them.

You'd be right if you were talking about certain other aspects of the episode. But not that one.

Regardless if you think the concept for the ending was the right move, the execution of the plot points(AKA writing) was abysmal.

That, we can agree on.

It's a big reason why Jashifags like me are so butthurt. It's not even just the fact that it wasn't a happy ending, but that it was a poorly paced/written attempt at a bittersweet ending.

it desperately needed more of an over arching plot and recurring characters

it aired so long ago before the deepest lore trend started with AT, I am sure CN demanded a standalone episode format. shows with over arching plots do horrible on reruns because people won't tune into a show they are not caught up in and will be confused as to whats going on. reruns make the majority of the airtime so TV is suited for it, that why CN airs nothing but TTG because its one of their only modern cartoons with no over arching plots.
with the rise of internet streaming binge watching became a thing so now shows could dabble in having deepest lore and over arching plots.

samurai jack tried to cram years worth of plot into 1 season and it shows. the only recurring character they could use was scotsman.

that being said the standalone episode did have its strengths. we got to see alot of different settings with each episode dedicated to a different location.

I hated how little actual interaction there was between Aku and Jack, that was one of the best parts of the original

Isn't it? Right time period, and I thought it was produced at CN Studios. I don't recall ever seeing it aired elsewhere, either.

Then again in 2001 I was in junior high, so.

>Season 5 Episodes 1, 2, and 3
>edgiest episodes of the season are the best
this thread confirms that Sup Forums is full of edgelords.

Looks like Jack is having one nasty fart.