Rick and Morty

>It's the nihilism is such a cool, and comforting ideology which I will express through my overly-wordy soapbox self insert character who I will also use nihilism as a jumping off point for a hackney "emotional" monologue which will play into the overdone arc about the careless asshole being depressed and self-loathing episode
>It's the here's a kind of cool sci-fi concept, now watch how we never expand on it and still get praised for our creativity episode
>Also, the Purge
>And really bad improv
>Something something existentially something something game theory
>Again
>And again and again and again
Why did this show get so shit so fast?

Other urls found in this thread:

avclub.com/article/dan-harmon-says-jerry-rick-and-mortys-luckiest-cha-256266
gizmodo.com/rick-and-morty-creator-wants-to-entertain-with-tact-no-1563127976
youtube.com/watch?v=Vly054Mbcmo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shows still good. It's you that's gone to shit

shows how much you know, nihilism isn't an ideology it's a philosophy

Yeah, sorry I'm such an awful person that I don't like this animated sitcom.
I really couldn't give a shit about your pseudo-intellectual semantics.

I went out of my way not to mention Reddit in my OP but then these were the first response, lel.

My friend tried to show his dad this while we were all on vacation but I just sat in the room shouting this is reddit this is memes until they stopped

i think you're probably an idiot

Fighting the good fight.
I think you're probably a faggot.

You sound like a sperg.

>Taking an obvious joke seriously.
>Calling someone else a sperg.
Really makes you think...

>thinking the show is honestly presenting nihilism as it's ideology
>thinking it's actually a science fiction show

How the fuck, OP?

Nine out of ten Rick and Morty threads are just an indiscussable string of shitposts anyway, there's no real one way to approach it.

"Welp, I don't like this popular show, time to begin the crusade to get people to agree with me instead of staying in my lane"

avclub.com/article/dan-harmon-says-jerry-rick-and-mortys-luckiest-cha-256266
>“Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV,” Harmon notes, “Knowing the truth, which is that nothing matters, can actually save you in those moments. Once you get through that terrifying threshold of accepting that, then every place is the center of the universe, and every moment is the most important moment, and everything is the meaning of life.”
Also, lol at that pretentiousness.

Also, erase "science fiction" and just have the concepts for worlds and stories be mildly interesting and then be praised well beyond their actual usage in the story.
>Discussing cartoons on a board about cartoons is a bad thing.
OK.

>People should stay quiet about things they dislike

Probably because the Redditards come out of the woodwork to flip their shit about differing opinions.

Sup Forums is on Adult Swim?

>show gets popular
>some autistic reddit tier people like it
>even more autistic contrarian faggots online decide suddenly the show is shit because the other autists happen to like it
>post on an anonymous Laotian lancing forum about how he has suuuuch good taste because he disagrees with the redditors
>"lol am i cool yet guys? look how not reddit i am"

Every single time.

>Implying people dislike it only because Reddit likes it
>Implying these people don't dislike it and have had their hatred amplified by seeing faggots jerk it off all the time

Nah, I legitimately think the show is shit. Thank you for telling me that my opinions aren't authentic though.
>their hatred amplified by seeing faggots jerk it off all the time
This.

Yeah.
It'd be different if it was a show you enjoyed but it took a nose dive. Then it'd be your duty as a fan to bitch about it.

Otherwise the show just wasn't for you to begin with and you should just move on.

>look mom, im being edgy on the Sup Forums!

You can dislike it, but it doesnt mean its a shit show. I could never get into star trek but that doesnt mean i cant appreciate that it accomplished what it set out to do. If you dont like the r&m style thats one thing, but it sticks to it well enough that calling it shit is just b8

>Why did this show get so shit so fast?
Also, my filename.
>Being edgy
>Not liking a TV show
Uh... OK?

>le objective opinions
Fuck off. This is the most pathetic way of going "stop disliking what i like"

actually my gripe with show came with the start of season 3 where they just busted Rick out ezpz and went "hey, remember that conflict about two imperfect people trying to repair their broken marriage? OUT THE FUCKIN EINDO IT GOES! HAVE A DIVORCE CAUSE WE GOTTA MAKE MORE TIME FOR RICK AND HIS CRAAZZY SHENANIGANS!" I always just tolerated Rick's nihilistic rants, they always came off as pretentious soapbox bullshit.

>You are wrong, people don't hate it because reddit likes it!
>They hate it because people praise it!

And that's..better?

Honestly, by the end of season 1 of all things I was starting to dislike it already. Rick Potion 9 was such a funny episode and it's probably my favorite in the series but the ending of that one was a huge red flag. Turns out that melodramatic shit wasn't done as a one-off joke and the show went down the "feels" route. R.I.P

>lists vague descriptions and episodes without any real criticism
>just says its shit and expects people to agree
Yeah no, you're just being angsty and contrarian.

>self insert
Oh my god will you people stop pretending anything interesting or fun is a cry for help from an artist screaming to break out of his mortal coil?

>any real criticism
By what definition?
>expect people to agree
No, I just don't expect you to be a complete faggot about it and say that the show is somehow objectively good and I'm just being-
>angsty and contrarian
Wow, there are those words again.

>Implying a character going on a monologue about how the author's blatantly apparent position is obviously correct shouldn't be called a self-insert.

>"hey, remember that conflict about two imperfect people trying to repair their broken marriage?"

Yeah, I remember that. It happened. For two whole seasons. With no payoff in sight. And none of the scenes of them arguing were ever funny or amusing. And nothing really would be gained out of their arguments, they would just have some basic lesson, like "treat people with decency" or something, and then they would make out or something. I dunno man, if I am being real with you, it felt like watching a abusive relationship at a distance, and being in pain that you could do nothing about it. The whole thing felt artificial, like they were given marriage problems by the creator to have conflict happening in every episode. Just for that purpose.

Did you enjoy their arguments?
After two seasons of it, did you keep expecting it to go somewhere?

>I always just tolerated Rick's nihillstic rants, they always came off as pretentious soapbox bullshit.

What do you mean by "pretentious"?

I mean it was a retarded kid who said that.

The show is objectively consistent. If you feel curve balls you're either retarded or autistic. Dont like it for all i care, but your edgy contrarian (fuck you ill use it as much as i want) attitude is the biggest cancer to all entertainment mediums. I'm tired of seeing people think they're part of some secret club and that their tastes are good because they dislike popular shows.

Rick regularly contradicts himself. People seem to miss that.

I would agree with you but it comes and goes. They humilify Rick here and there, when he prays to god near death and tries to kill himself when he loses love in his life.

There are too many shitty relationships on TV that get a happy ending. There should be more shows where the husband isn't forgiven for the hundredth time.

That being said, I'll give you that Beth choosing Rick over Jerry after all the shit Rick put the family through is kind of shitty.

In what ways?

This. Rick's a self-deceiving trainwreck. The show's not perfect or anything but the character is at least given that extra layer.

>There are too many shitty relationships on TV that get a happy ending. There should be more shows where the husband isn't forgiven for the hundredth time.
That would imply that Jerry's is the one purely in the wrong. Their relationship being shit was just as much the fault of Beth's cuntyness as it was Jerry's spinelessness.

Prays to God when he believes he's going to die, returns to wounded pride when he knows he's safe. Treating Morty and Summer like shit throughout the first season then ending on a finale where he says he loves his grandkids so much. Telling Morty love isn't anything to get worked up over after breaking up with Unity, then immediately attempting suicide.

>Edgy contrarian
Fuck off. I just don't like a Goddamn show, dude.

And no, don't tell me "opinion is fact". Anyone with any sort of fucking integrity would disagree with you.
But this is the kind of thing always done to this character because he's his self-loathing comes from self-awareness. Rick can shittalk himself and can give a near objective view of things despite his other faults because of his depression- this is a pretty consistent kind of character archetype.

*because his

>Fuck off. I just don't like a Goddamn show, dude.
Because its become really popular. Im sorry you're too obtuse to realize it. Dont worry, we all think you're this incredibly cultured guy with god tier tastes in shows.

I unironically feel bad for Jerry. He reminds me of my dad if he wasn't a terrible person.

>Because its become really popular.
Stop telling me what I think with zero evidence.
>you're too obtuse to realize it. Dont worry, we all think you're this incredibly cultured guy with god tier tastes in shows.
Why are you such a dick.

I'm not him, but there are other reasons not to like the show. I'll tell you right now that enough Rick and Morty fans have lashed out so angrily against basic distaste for the show that it's starting to look like you guys need a helping hand.

Cool, all of that is true.
The god thing really shows that deep down, all humans fear death. So that's a contradiction most of humanity has that isn't religious. Now, sure, someone might say "but I'm not religious, and I would NEVER pray to god before I die", and to them, they deserve all the praise and manliest guy alive rewards ever made, but even as someone not that religious myself, I do believe that deep down everyone wants death to be a door to a better place or life in some way. I do not think a atheist is a hypocrite if they say that want death to lead to something good or hopeful. I'd be more depressed in a atheist that were to actually believe that death leads to nothing, that's just a depressing idea to believe in, even if its the truth to them.

I remember him treating Morty pretty badly yeah, but Summer? I don't recall him being that mean to her. In fact, I barely remember most of their interactions. The finale was suppose to be character development. Him realizing that he loves his grandkids.

Well, I think what he had with Unity and what he believed Morty was getting into were different. When he says love, he means all the bad things that come with love, but for Rick, its really just someone he can hang with that can amuse him. I don't really call that love, feels more like a obsession.

I think one of the biggest problems with Rick and Morty is that it's fans feel the need to constantly fellate and defend the show even though it repeatedly makes humor out of mocking the fans and taking everyone for a ride. The joke is that the show is retarded, who would stick around and get angry saying the show is great?

There is literally nothing wrong or edgy about nihilism

>posts low quality topic with no proper criticism and expects people to agree that a popular show is shit just because you dont like it
>get called out on simply being a contrarian
>"why r u so mean :( "

Sure there are, its just that the show has been more or less the same formula since the beginning. If you didnt like it then and still dont like it, fine. If you're a giant douche bag that wants to get on the "i liked it BEFORE it was mainstream" wagon like OP, piss off.

>no proper criticism and expects people to agree that a popular show is shit just because you dont like it
Just repeating yourself.
>muh contrarian
Yeah, you're a cunt.
>"i liked it BEFORE it was mainstream"
Why are you still putting words in my mouth.

Man, if you want to ask why I think what I think, you can do it. I have enough content in my OP and my other posts for you to formulate at least an opening question.

That's not nihilism if he believes there is right and wrong.

>I'll tell you right now that enough Rick and Morty fans have lashed out so angrily against basic distaste for the show that it's starting to look like you guys need a helping hand

Really? I haven't been noticing this at all. Is it reaching "MLP obsession before the board" tier? Where people that came into MLP threads and disagreed would get swamped in replies?

Rick isn't a hero to be admired, his nihilistic attitude is why he's so unhappy.

Going on about it sure is pretentious as fuck though since it's such a simple idea that's treated as "i am so FUCKING enlightened
"

Where "just do your own thing man lol" turns into
>“Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV,” Harmon notes, “Knowing the truth, which is that nothing matters, can actually save you in those moments. Once you get through that terrifying threshold of accepting that, then every place is the center of the universe, and every moment is the most important moment, and everything is the meaning of life.”

>I have enough content in my OP and my other posts for you to formulate at least an opening question.
No you dont, you just said its shit, listed some episodes/scenes without really describing the issue with them, and thought that was enough. Again, the show's been following the same formula, if you liked it then and dont like it now, you're just being a pretentious hipster. Im sorry the truth hurts buddy, maybe you should take a step back and reevaluate yourself.

Rick is still self-aware enough to point out his flaws and provide a more worldly view due to his self-loathing and depression though.

Sure but all of these are natural human reactions that Rick persistenty denies. The character likes to pretend he's above humanity and is the perfect soulless scientist but he basically revolves his every action around an avoidant contrarian reaction to what he naturally feels. Rick isn't cool or impressive, you'll notice that all he does is waste time until he dies, and occasionally experiences a moment of clarity where he admits anything at all matters to him. If anyone says the show's cool because Rick is a cool or impressive winner, then I don't know what to tell them.

People really think that the show ries to make nihilism looks cool? Rick is an unhappy asshole.
Also, What's wrong with a show being pro-nihilism anyway? You can disagree with it, The show is 90% comedy and you shouldn't dislike everything else because the creators have a different point of view than you.

>even though it repeatedly makes humor out of mocking the fans and taking everyone for a ride.

So just like South Park:
>Episode makes fun of the left
>"Ha! Take that! I knew South Park supported my ideology!"
>The very next episode makes fun of the right
>"S-south Park isn't funny anymore guys! It's just not good anymore, and why its still around I haven't a clue!"

Dunno about you, but I get the most enjoyment out of shows that make fun of all types of people. Shows that take no sides.

>Going on about it
All I did was reply to OP. How was I "going on about it"?

>If anyone says the show's cool because Rick is a cool or impressive winner, then I don't know what to tell them.

I dunno, reminds me of stuff like Code Geass's Lelouch, or Deathnote's Light Yagami, or even House's Dr. House. Asshole characters that contradict themselves a lot, but are just appealing in how smart they seem to be.

So I guess it boils down to the question, do you find smart or clever characters to be interesting all on their own? For me, I do, but I can understand why people that like the story would hate them, they are basically gary stu's then, characters written so everything always goes their way anyways. Well said user.

>Again, the show's been following the same formula, if you liked it then and dont like it now, you're just being a pretentious hipster
user, please.

I basically just liked it up into the sixth episode and really, the sixth episode was the one I liked more than mediocre. I didn't love the show but I do think there was a decline in quality.

I don't think you can tell me that the show didn't start to take itself more seriously or that really anything in season 2 was as tightly plotted or as much of an interesting (in a funny way) story and wasn't just "uh multiple universes inside of each other thats it" and again, "the purge". Really, I thought Rick and Morty would get a lot of leeway with its sci-fi jokes but it just seems to meddle a lot and have funny words. Generally, I didn't find Rick a very entertaining or interesting character and liked more of the stuff with Morty as the protag which seemed to decrease as well.

I didn't like the supporting cast which also added to my growing disinterest and the moments like Morty getting molested not being a joke and more of a "haha this reality lol" thing was weird and fucking dumb to me. And again, that kind of thing seemed to grow as the story started to become more centralized and serious alongside its growing focus on Rick.

Is that enough of an argument to make you think I'm a real human bean?

I meant media that goes on about nihilism, not you, user.

Absolutely, I'm just saying that unlike South Park, Rick and Morty has a certain number of anonymous fans who treat the show as sacred when the show itself holds nothing at all sacred, especially its self.

>Light
>Crazy guy with god complex
>Dies like a fucking bitch, crying and yelling
>Gary stu
I'm not sure if House is one too.

It ain't bad. But there is some underlying cancer somewhere in the show which I can't exactly grasp. Also saw some autists sperg out le Schezwan sauce XD. I don't even get what is so funny? Was it the dialog? Or is it a mental virus like fidget spinners? I dun ged I'd XD

I definitely don't hold Rick in as high regard as those other characters, but I won't fuck with anyone who insists. I don't find Rick particularly smart because all his inventions are funny plot devices and he doesn't do anything but hurt everyone.

>I don't think you can tell me that the show didn't start to take itself more seriously
>The first ep of S3 is literally 23 minutes of making fun of fans expecting sad backstories, complex plots and deep meaning.

>I dun ged I'd XD
Don't die, user.

That's a single episode, user. I generally saw a shift in tone, especially with the season endings and beginnings. I just do not give a shit about Rick at all.

>"the purge"
What's wrong with that EP?

>I don't think you can tell me that the show didn't start to take itself more seriously or that really anything in season 2 was as tightly plotted or as much of an interesting (in a funny way)
Dont be dense. The entire show's "drama" is rick being nihilistic, then showing he actually gives a shit, and just when you think he's gonna make a breakthrough, he hides it by playing it off in some elaborate way (morty just being there as a brain wave shield, for example). It was never meant to be some deep emotional show, it just acts like it for a while then robs you of it, because that's the gag. All while Morty becomes disillusioned with life, comically, at the same time.

The side cast is also consistent in their roles and how they interact with the general plot that revolves around r&m.

It's the newest and biggest episode, and let's not act like it's not significant that the show is on TOTAL UNADDRESSED LONGFORM HIATUS leaving us with only this single new episode.

Yeah, I can understand that, and that's true. As for hurting everyone, I prefer when he is hurting someone that deserves it. I really enjoyed the devil episode, cause it was funny to see a typical character that would usually completely dominate anything he appears in, to be ruined and fucked with by Rick, just cause he could. But yeah, I can understand why people would hate him, and that's fine.

I just think it's kind of dumb. And really, it's something I bring up because of the "smart, witty comedy with all of these great concepts!" image some people have of Rick and Morty. It literally had an episode that was just the Purge.
I think that's less the show being self-aware and more the show being really bad at developing its conflicts and character development. It does get really sappy, even as a joke, that's something I can't really tolerate.

Yeah, I just really don't like Summer, Jerry, or Beth.
Alright, user, I still don't think that aspect of the show is completely in jest though.

It tried to be edgy and fell flat for me.

Yes, it was the dialog. The appeal is that apparently most of Rick's dialogue is done by improv, so to some the speed can be impressive. Imagine taking the micro machines guy, and putting him in a show, and all of his dialog he has to make up for the situation on the fly, while still talking as fast as he did in the commercials. Would be funny, amusing, surprising, all at the same time.

And also, well, I honestly didn't know about that schezwan sauce, and it made me hungry and wish to try some with some chicken, but you know, its not made anymore so oh well.

It's teriyaki sauce, user. You can buy teriyaki sauce in any grocery store. Check the "multicultural" sections.

I think the entire character is in jest, except for some basic denial of love for his family. At this point, with them not having a prepared idea for a new episode, I don't believe they have a plan for the character besides humor.

Oh hell, then nevermind my mistake, thanks user.

>I think that's less the show being self-aware
You can think that, but you'd be wrong. Shows set these things up all the time, R&M's gag is setting you up for a cliche satisfactory emotional breakthrough and then shitting on it, because its a comedy on fucking adult swim. If you dont like that premise, thats ok, but dont say its quality went down hill when it was really following its premise.

You might as well go to Sup Forums and complain about Saitama from OPM resolving fights too easily. You'd get called a retard for missing the point.

>It literally had an episode that was just the Purge.
So, Every ep is a parody of somethin, Dan harmon can't make an EP of something without naming a movie, Have you seen Community?
When people says "great concepts" they're talking about the plot of chapter of the week, But the magic-science stuff that rick does and a lot of them are really original.
Also, that ep had legit better writting and used the concept better than the actual movie. Not very hard tho.

>show is good but too overhyped
>fanbase is too shit
>"only redditfags like this show" meme becomes.... I mean was always annoying
>show is still good (but not as good as everybody say it is)

There's not. It's the people that get a 10 minute gloss over it and fall in love with themselves and how enlightened they are because they're starting to be challenged a bit for the first time in their lives that end up being the problem.

Well, that'd be better if you're right. I still don't think it was executed very well. Maybe if they clean that kind of stuff up, I might check it out again but meh, there's still stuff I don't like.
I don't know why you're so deadset on this, user. I haven't seen anyone else say this.

And devil's advocate here but the "entire point" of something can be really dumb on its own. I respectfully disagree.

People who think this show is meant to be 'followed' are fucking marks and both the writers and the rest of the audience are laughing at them.

Well, again, like I said, I think a lot of concepts are wasted when that's something the show is praised for. Not much to elaborate on desu.

How the fuck are there so many people who think that you're meant to agree with Rick? It gives me a fucking aneurysm every time I see someone link a video of a Rick monologue as if it's supposed to help prove their point.

>I don't know why you're so deadset on this, user. I haven't seen anyone else say this.
Half this thread is talking about rick's hypocrisy. Its a comedy. Crazy uncle rick does some wild shit, contradicts himself, goes on the verge of emotional progress, then resets like nothing happened. You're not supposed to be vested deeply in character development, just enjoy (or dont) the different episodes and adventures.

People think that if "x cartoon main character" says something you're always supposed to agree with him.

You're being made a fool of. I don't know what the difference between you and me is, but if you got emotionally invested in this show you got played on purpose for a gag. I don't know what to tell you.

simply this

>Half this thread is talking about rick's hypocrisy.
Which you don't think can be a serious element?
>emotionally invested in this show
I didn't, lol. I just didn't give a shit about Rick. I just thought it was getting too serious. gizmodo.com/rick-and-morty-creator-wants-to-entertain-with-tact-no-1563127976 Stuff like this doesn't help my perception of how the writers treat the show.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vly054Mbcmo How do you explain this then?

Its one of those things normie social idiots are amazed by, when anyone with half a brain already knows about it. Other examples like this:

>You: "Did you know that, even if people may look down on you for something, its just a opinion that can only hurt you if you let it?"
>Normie: "WOAH HOLY SHIT DUDE YOU BLEW MY MIND NO WAY!"
>You: "Or that you should treat people like you would want them to treat you?"
>Normie: "STOP DUDE MY HEAD HURTS! I CANNOT BELIEVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT MYSELF!"

There's a reason why pure flix films gain tens of millions of dollars a release. Because a majority of people are stupid.

>Which you don't think can be a serious element?
no, because its part of the gag. I dont know how else to explain it to you. Its a simple formula, if you dont get it, you're just not into TV or film because these setups are easily recognizable.

>gizmodo.com/rick-and-morty-creator-wants-to-entertain-with-tact-no-1563127976
Obviously the rape scene was the most mature thing they did in the show and was handled respectfully for what it was, at the same time scenes like this next to comedy, coupled with the apparent inability to release new episodes demonstrate that the show is incredibly sporadic and wounded by its inability to create new content.

It's your fault for expecting "expantion" for some gag magical-scientifict machine from a comedy show.
It gets praise because is a funny original concept like Mr meeseks you don't have to make a book about it and try to make it look complex.

Yeah, I really don't watch much TV and film but that does seem like something that could be a "tragic" sort of thing.

Whatever, user, we disagree on a ton of stuff.

Reminds me of my dumbass old roommate who would bring up Stalin's purges to sound educated like nobody's ever heard of them.