How come the Venture Bros never blew up like Rick and Morty? It's a really well written show

How come the Venture Bros never blew up like Rick and Morty? It's a really well written show.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Qg54Sfptd8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How come the Venture Bros never blew up like Rick and Morty?

Because it's seasons only air every two years. The only people who stick with it are the most dedicated of fans. It really makes it hard to casual viewership.

that's the long and short of it, thread over

because it does not pander to pop culture and "omg i'm so nerd" jokes.

Do you think they'll stay together in season 7?

Yes it does, it's just well written.

Wouldn't mind if they do. Who says Hank doesn't deserve a cute, mutant, mob-princess?

youtube.com/watch?v=8Qg54Sfptd8

Venture Bros. has a bunch of pop culture references and jokes, but everything generally flows naturally.

It kind of did but there was less internet back then.

Also, the fact that it takes so long between seasons causes it to lose steam.

Despite being very well written it's too reference heavy. Ive shown it to people who I thought would love it and they didn't get many of the references, losing lots of the jokes. It's hard to appreciate a satire if you aren't familiar with what it's satirizing in the first place.

Also, I've never watched an episode of Rock & Morty.

Venture Bros almost does nothing BUT those types of jokes, though. Every episode is nearly packed with esoterica and references to some nerd or pop culture thing.

Fuck off. The show is LITERALLY a Jonny Quest parody.

It's one massive pop culture joke.

Because the first season happened 13 years ago, back when everyone didn't use the internet as frequently as they do now. If it first aired in this day and age, then word of it would've spread around just like what happened with R&M.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh, it's like a really narrow niche of pop culture. The references are usually obscure name drops. They're more likely to riff on The Time Machine than Back to the Future.

>I've never watched an episode of Rock & Morty
It's not as bad as they say it is, you should give it a chance.

i like rick and morty but i started to watch venture bros and holy shit that thing is amazing
just finished season 4, got a hardon with brock running back to the venture compund
now im afraid that nothing can top season 4 and it goes downhill from there

Well that and from a little bit during a GameSocietyPimps play. Rick and Morty comes from the same humor they've played with for years. No idea for a story.

It doesn't do meme humor and doesn't have a pseudo-intellectual pseudo-intellectuals can project onto.

>1 season every 2 years
>obscure references galore
>insanely tight continuity

Venture Bros is really hard to market. But as long as they keep making seasons, I'm a happy camper.

>nothing can top season 4 and it goes downhill from there
It's still bretty good, though.

Venture Bros' writing is entirely too dialogue and character focused.

If you showed a Rick and Morty fan Venture Bros they would say that nothing is happening

I think Season 6 is great in it's own right

Maybe this year I'll catch the T-Shirt Club.

More like Cult Classic references, like the rest of Adult Swim. Johnny Quest wasn't quite popular when VB came out, it's target audience just knew about it. And the success of Boomerang helped introduce it to the younger crowds at the time.

But then is right about the frequency of the seasons, and is right about the jokes, especially counting jokes in the later seasons of VB becoming a little too controversial to discuss in public.

>VB becoming a little too controversial to discuss in public
The fuck you talking about nigga?

Just curious, do they ship to Britbongoland?

This, plus the guys are in their 40s, the things they thought were cool are fading into obscurity way faster

Too many gay, fetish, and hentai jokes

Normies talk about all that shit all the time.

>long gaps between seasons that make it hard for casuals to stick with
>more than a decade old
>later seasons have had very few episodes
>relatively few memes compared to R&M
>writing and comedy are dialogue and character focused which most normies consider boring
>mostly niche and esoteric pop culture references as opposed to the SZECHUAN SAUCE INCEPTION BACK TO THE FUTURE LMAO that most people are comfortable with
>considerably smaller and less obnoxious fanbase
>AS doesn't shill it nearly as much

That's the gist of it.
It's not like Venture Bros is unpopular, it's just that not many people talk about it because of the yearly long gaps and because, since the majority of us agree it's good, we don't talk about it because it's easier to talk about stuff that has a more divisive reception (like Rick and Morty). You can't have much discussion if everyone agrees with each other.

It's less memey and doesn't look as similar to Family Guy the way R&M does so most people are less comfortable watching it. Also less promotion and advertising compared to R&M.

Pretty sure season 1 Venture Bros was far less popular than season 1 Rick and Morty.

>>AS doesn't shill it nearly as much

Because they don't get much money for it, apparently.

It does but the references are usually older.

>Fuck off. The show is LITERALLY a thing mostly only boomers know about parody.

yes

No it's because it doesn't pander to the NOW. Rick and Morty has a ton of nods to old stuff, but you don't actually have to know things to get those jokes. Venture Bros requires that you actually have some kind of knowledge about the subject matter outside of the current.

Hank fucking proved he did not luck into a girlfriend.
He's prime husbando.

Most of the references go over my head, but I still love it for the character dynamic alone.

Venture Bros is kind of mediocre. I find most jokes too obvious and on the flip side of that, the characters and setting are impossible to take seriously. Episodes and storylines are at least varied and keep on developing endlessly, but despite watching a ton of it, I ultimately never managed to get invested.

>You can't have much discussion if everyone agrees with each other
They're the only kind of discussions worth having, though.

Quality > Quantity

Because it's not as deep and funny as Rick and Morty
Fuck off oldfags

I find it funny how this was the episode that sparked a large hate brigade against Rick and Morty. It's almost like someone has an agenda and was triggered.

Because Venture Brothers needs you to relate to the characters for the humor, where as Rick and Morty started with "I want you to shove these WAAAAAY Up your butt!"

Was it you?
It sounds like it was you.

A while back, wasn't there someone constantly shilling that there's going to be a new Venture Bros special sometime this year? I can't find anything about it.

Doesn't this shit have 2 year hiatuses?

It's less accessible
All of the pop culture references are way more obscure. You need to be a genuine hipster to get a lot of the Venture Bros stuff, and a genuine nerd to keep up with all the obscure comic book and cartoon references.
Completely different senses of humor, Venture Bros is much more subtle, Rick & Morty is far more silly.
Rick and Morty uses a lot of "pop-science" Neil Degrasse Tyson kind of stuff, Venture Bros uses a lot of "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit"
Rick and Morty brings situations they encounter to a conclusion, Venture Bros likes to leave things hanging in the air with no resolution just to Fuck with its viewers.
The Venture Bros is a show all about failure while R&M is a show about a super capable genius who never fails yet is a broken person.
Venture Bros was created and written by a genuine artist, R&M was created and written by a mainstream sitcom writer.
Despite the differences they're both great shows and with Futurama make up the trinity of best animated series since the Simpsons.

R&M has a huge hatebase that generally runs on contrarianism which just so happens to be based on a site that would see Nazi's and Westboros getting rekt as a horrible thing.

While obviously slapping people around IRL should be condemned in any case, the show and context are far too ridiculous to take so seriously.

Thank fuck.

It's actually clever instead of just appearing to be.

this basically.
i grew up watching and reading all of the stuff this show takes everything from.
anybody else i know who has watched it can't really into it.

Because it's less episodic, mostly. You can watch basically any episode of Rick and Morty and most jokes are still gona work, even if you haven't seen any others.

Venture Bros. on the other hand is big on continuity and character arcs so if you're gonna start somewhere in the middle a lot of jokes and plotlines aren't gonna make a whole lot of sense to you.

It was the dog guy that upset me. I could pretend all those other people had done something actually bad at some point, but that guy and his dog? What the fuck did he do to deserve a beating?

What happened?

I always found that interesting. How are the creators of this show still keeping it running considering how long it takes for seasons to come out, compared to over shows that constantly have to put stuff out or their show basically gets cancelled?

It's too slow and hateful (towards itself).

He yanked the dog's leash so hard it was physically pulled forward
that man did not treat his dog well

He was the type of person who justified the dog's plan to snip off our testicles Summer

>they're both great shows and with Futurama make up the trinity of best animated series since the Simpsons

Animal abusers are worse than Nazis.

Even Hitler liked dogs

Nazis are animal abusers

In Venture Bros. Hitler was a dog!

This.
Try again, sweetie.

>Try again, sweetie.

They've abused at LEAST 6 million animals

Well Doc and Jackson have careers outside of the show, and they voice most of the characters, so it's not like they need it to make a living nor do they need many actors in the first place.
And considering Venture Bros is, by this point, the oldest ongoing AS show, that's probably one of the things that prevents it from being outright canceled.

A new Venture Bros season is like when a musical band from your childhood comes back for a collab, before promptly splitting and going on their usual ways. They don't need to make that collab to make money, they are just doing it for the fans. It's an event to be celebrated and treasured without overexposure.

Dogs are more important than jews.

I'm a fan of both. AMA

Why do you think you're unique? I'm sure the vast majority of people here like both.

Well I guess you can't have a R&M thread without someone complaining about contrarians (even though it's not even supposed to be a R&M thread)

I wasn't complaining about it, I was mentioning it

Because, unlike Rick and Morty, it is a well written show.

Also like 3rd years between seasons.

It started off as one before growing into its own thing

it does, its just that the references are a bit more obscure

>few memes

This is not a downside.

I didn't say it was

It's better this way, OP

Because every aspect of the Venture Brothers blends together to make it into the ultimate pleb filter.

>One season takes like three years to produce, normalfags don't have the attention span to follow it.
>Character/dialog driven humor, not enough action to satiate the average mouthbreathers.
>Obscure pop culture references and longform running jokes that posers won't understand.
>Doesn't pander, and doesn't date itself by following trends or satirizing current events.

>doesn't date itself by following trends or satirizing current events

Because Rick and Morty was designed to be consumed, Venture Bros was not.

Aside from pop culture references and writing style, Rick and Morty can appeal as a kind of power fantasy. It seems weird given some of the context of the show, but the character flaws generally act as a segue to the direct resolution of a conflict. Whether it's overcoming flaws or solving the problem due to them (intentionally or not). Either way the cast is much smaller and the relationships are almost inconsequential so every victory feels much more rewarding because everything is easier to grasp. Thus it becomes easier to vicariously experience each victory. Dan Harmon is very much in touch with this aspect of the show, and kinda conduits his own power fantasy through Rick. As in a drunk asshole who demands respect because of his ability and wins by being a bigger, drunker asshole than everyone else. The other characters fall into place from this kind of commitment in the same way.

Venture Bros can be very human, in the way it lays out the flaws of the characters. There are victories and growth, but feel much less rewarding to a casual viewer because the cast is much larger and they all suffer in a network of consequences of their actions, even on the long term. The show has a way of really creating the presence of baggage that causes a lot of viewers to turn away from it even if they aren't exactly sure what turned them off.

Both can be considered well written shows, but Rick and Morty has pandering down to a craft.

>Both can be considered well written shows
I like Rick and Morty, but I sure as hell wouldn't call it well written.

The whole Hasselhoff burger incident happened 9 years before that episode was released, its not really a current event

A general theory, other than Doc and Jackson's longevity with the company (and they fact they do a LOT of the legwork themselves), is that they have a standing contract if they get cancelled that Comedy Central will pick them up or something, I believe.

That could just be bullshit though.

It was a current event when it was storyboarded.

What do you mean by pandering, exactly?

Adult Swim doesn't even produce Venture Bros anymore lol
VB is produced by its own creators with merchandise money for like 5 or 6 years now, that's why it takes so fucking long for a new season

Also Rick and Morty almost killed Venture Bros

Technically, a dog was Hitler.

And a girl was A Hitler.

I'd call it serviceably written at least, but also I love Reddit and Memey, so I don't really mind when it goes off the rails.

Venture Bros is probably the most sophisticated adult cartoon that has ever been made. At it's goofiest it's pulpy and loaded with incredibly esoteric references and at it's most serious it's a slow humanizing drama about broken people making it work.

One thing I love about Venture Bros is that I went into it as a kid not really getting any of the references and I aspired to be the kind of adult that did. Now every year I come back to it and get a few more weird jokes here and there. Venture Bros is like a super cool older brother that you never get to see but he always comes back into town with some cool record you've never heard of or a board game they only made for six months in Carmel-By-The-Sea.

It's a pretty bad influence if you're a stand-up comic though, hoo-boy. My comedy career has had a lot of turbulence because I thought that interesting music references and playing on philosophy and art history would be something people are into.

You should never pick sides like this one way or the other with any kind of political stuff like this. It's just not a good idea.

Who doesn't love the Blue Morpho?

I think season 7 is in development

This.

Too long

Also it started out fairly weak

>a entire opening of a episode was nothing but David Bowie lyrics

Nah. Venture Brothers is nothing but pop culture references.

>it's a really well written show.
That's why. It's not about being well written, it's about having memes.

You'll be an old fag soon enough you little shit.

>It's a pretty bad influence if you're a stand-up comic though, hoo-boy. My comedy career has had a lot of turbulence because I thought that interesting music references and playing on philosophy and art history would be something people are into.

You might get a niche Fandom, but spice it up. Add some common relatable average Joe stuff in between the references.

I'm positive I haven't gotten at least 70% of the references in Venture Bros. What are some of the best ones?