Do you like Tom King's Batman?

I've been reading King's Batman since day 1 of Rebirth, and I gotta say I'm disappointed. I dropped the series last week. It just feels like an exercise in mediocrity. Try to keep RECENT DEVELOPMENTS out of your opinions as well.

I like it more than Snyder's Batman btw

bump

How could you not like the last issue?

I liked it, but it was probably just because it had Swamp Thing, not that it was particularly good. I thought I Am Gotham was OK but felt pointless, and I Am Suicide and I Am Bane were just crap in my opinion

I don't know the whole thing about Bruce's parents looked like King's gonna go somewhere trascendent with all that.

Are we in store for, dare I say it, character development?

I Am Gotham was ok, I Am Suicide was disappointing art-wise but the plot was ok and I liked how it was structured. I enjoyed I Am Bane the most, and the most recent issue was definitely the best and renewed my hope that King can do good things with Batman even if his initial mega-arc was less than I was expecting based on his previous works.

This is just like what happened with Morrison all over again. Normies don't understand what King is doing, so they hate it. Just go read another one of Snyder's many Joker stories or contrived villain "reimaginings." Or better yet, go read Detective Comics and get your 90s fanboy fix.

It'll go nowhere, even though I wish it wouldn't, and Batman as a character has become real fucking tired when he's everywhere in DC media but he's always the same

First off, i didn't like Snyder's Joker at all.
Second, can you explain what you're saying instead of "You're too stupid for it"

Got good during rooftop arc, before it was varying levels of mediocre and shit.

Yes, very good w/ moments of greatness. Way better than Snyder.

I think the problem with King, for me at least, is that I don't connect to Bruce very well in his hands. I connected to Dick, to all of the Omega Men, to all of the Visions, etc, in his previous work, but Bruce is very hard for me to feel the kind of tragedy and sadness. I think he has done a lot more to capture that feeling recently, though - especially in the parallels with Bane during I Am Bane and Rooftops.

There's actually a very subversive nature to Snyder's Joker, it has more intrinsic value than Sup Forums has the ability to realize in coherence with all the reeeing. Second off, you can't really play that card because as controversial as Morrison's writing was before Batman and Robin, it was still saying something new and it was neither stupid on conceptual level nor executional level. King's isn't saying something new and even though I'm enjoying the introspective storytelling, it's regressive for the character of Bruce all things considered.

Every issue drawn by Gerads was legitimately great.

I Am Gotham and I Am Bane had a lot of bluster but they both felt kinda "meh" to me by the end. I don't think Finch and King mesh very well as creators. I actually quite enjoyed I Am Suicide, it felt experimental, sincere, and ambitious, though definitely a bit contrived.

Meh, it was good. The paneling, use of Irish rose song and the twist in the end is what single issues should be, rather than the safe shit Tomasi and Abnett have been writing.

Thoughts on All Star?

I think it's great and I thank the gods at least once a week Snyder was finally taken off the main Batbook. King is doing a great job of retconning or ignoring Snyder's entire run and King's Duke is actually a good character.

It really does feel like that's what we're getting.

I wish Lapham got to write Batman again

One of the best comics ever. Frank Miller definitely did not have a stroke on 9/11.

I really like some things and I really hate others, mostly related to catwoman.

I often think about how you would adapt runs, and this one seems difficult. The tone between arcs feels weirdly different and plus there's a bunch of one shot issues.

It's a real palate cleanser after Snyder's Batman. Like being trapped in a Hot Topic for over half a decade and then finally getting to leave the fucking mall entirely.

Honestly it's painful to read All-Star Batman. i don't know how to explain it but it just feels like it has absolutely no point and its just over the top and extreme just for the sake of it.

I just want Snyder to stop writing Batman...