There are people that to this day didn't understand this show

>there are people that to this day didn't understand this show
The entire series is not what's really happening, it's what happening in Daria's mind, the characters that are portrayed as morons are just strawmans in Darias head while in reality most of them are smarter than Daria.
The show was never intended to be a self insert for pretentious NEETs, the show was always about how stupid Daria looks and how embarassing to the audience her vision of herself is.
This is a brilliant caricature of youthful maximalists

>The entire series is not what's really happening, it's what happening in Daria's mind
I've heard people use this headcanon to describe all kinds of shows, from pokemon to futurama
Next you'll tell me she was in a coma the whole time

Why would I watch this clearly SJW garbage anyway. She's probably atheist, feminist, black lives matter (if it existed back then) and coal burner and thinks islam is so progressive.

they can't even come up with original theories, they have to copy pastas.

>93026697
>"Guys, Daria is SUPPOSED to be shit"

You don't have a good read on this show

She's tumblr incarnate.

With hindsight it's obvious Daria is a precursor of the feminist SJW womyn.

Other than looks, how so?

>93026798
Yep. Not a good read.

Daria isn't a joiner.

Don't forget she awakes with no legs, oh and that she was in limbo all this time too.

She usually make fun of those kind of people as well.
Even if nowadays yougogirls will use her as a figure, even though she's supposed to be a deeply flawed character.

>precursor

you kids are precious

you sure shitpost a lot tho, maybe you'd have less to bitch about if you went outside more

But this time it's true. In Pokemon and Futarama it's just a meme and makes no sense because the world isn't build around the main heroes ego, in Daria it is, all the characters act in a way to fuel her power fantasy.
Besides this isn't neccessarily a "hurr it's a dream" theory, it might as well be real stories that happened to fictional her, but what we see is her interpretation of everything.
If she was actually smart there would've been no reason to make everyone else, bar a few characters an ape.
>black lives matter
Her second best girl-friend is Black, BLM, the second smartest girl in school and her parents are as smart, she does nothing but talk about muh opression.
And her best friend is an artist from tumblr

She has like 4 friends total and all of them are hedonist SJW pseud types

>*literally anything at all*
>"Heh, reminds me of SJW liberals lol, raaage umad? U triggered? Fuck this world! Fuck, modern life sucks!

Jesus Christ, get a life.

It's a different thing
What he's saying is that Daria isn't supposed to be a likeable hero. She is supposed to be a dumb self-centered slut. The entire perception of the show changes when you acknowledge this. I disliked the show when I was really young because I thought I should laugh at how Daria trolls everyone, it's later when I understood that the show is actually mocking Daria and I'm supposed to laugh AT her.

Pic somehwat related, I'd unironically watch this show to laugh at the main characters.

The thing is that all modern tv shows produced by large companies are indeed SJW garbage.
It's not us seeing stuff where there isn't one, it's just the objective reality that all the shows are filled with it, there is no escape.
Even shows that try their hardest to not be PC like South Park are SJW garbage and pushing liberal opinions.

To laugh at her and the SJW garbage?
That's exactly what OP is suggesting.

I never understood how she managed to get a boyfriend
A normal one
And somehow despite this got no character progression at all, she's still the same, except with a guy following her
Like what the fuck

This was the late 90s guys. There wasn't anything ironic about the show- The writers intended to make Daria out to be totally superior to all the other characters with the exception of her best friend and the two black people that go to her school. Back then this concept of quirkiness and uniqueness blew most young women's minds and they weren't self aware enough to realize how prententious this shit is.

>looks
what? She's not nearly fat enough, and her hair isn't dyed at all.

Tom was rebelling against his parents but he was still fairly intelligent and daria despite being a pretentious bitch was still fairly knowledgeable. It made sense even if it was a bitch thing to do to jane.

I think the writers actually intended to appeal to both audiences
Nobody's denying that pseuds actually found Daria (the character) likeable

It's kinda like Totally Spies for example, guys thought the show was girly, girls thought the show was guyish. But the writers tried to appeal to both audiences and made the girls jerkable.

>never watched the show

dude it regularly shat on daria for being a pretentious cunt. There was no over-glorification of her mentality outside of what is actually worthwhile, because Darias personality traits are inherently superior to those of say Quinn or Kevin, and even then, they had their moments where they were far beyond Darias selfprojected insecurity driven strawman constructs of them.

Daria made me understand how autists see this world
Like I always wondered, how autists manage to not acknowledge the obvious? Daria kinda explains that

>it's what happening in Daria's mind

There's no "hidden message" about it. The show's first two seasons celebrate her edgy spirit and the show suddenly transforms into a journey about her growing out of her pessimistic world view starting with the third season. If anyone misses the message it's because they didn't watch enough episodes.

Clearly bait, but she's more of a staunch "everyone-is-against-me" high school nu-libertarian who started reading Thoreau more than anything. If Daria had episodes of the same caliber made today, she'd probably make fun of alt right and SJW movements in the same episode and call them a bunch of sheep or something.

I'd like to remind you that Daria from the 90s has like three friends and one of them is a black "muh racism, muh sexism, muh opression" girl
Stating that Daria today would somehow be less SJW is purely absurd.
They'll make SJW's nonexistent in the universe and she with her close circle of friends would be the only feminists in the whole series to make her both SJW and antisocial.

Black chick was sometimes right sometimes completely wrong. Daria pretty much called her on her bullshit a lot of the times.

Daria would be forced to be different if it was released today and rewritten by new guys, but I made my comment assuming the creators kept Daria's worldview from the 90's.

And Daria's black friend was as smart as Daria, but also an over-achieving socialite that she looked down upon. Daria would have liberal social perspective, but what stops her from being a SJW is that she wouldn't shove that shit down anyone's throats because she saw no point in sharing her worldview for attention, only in one-on-one situations or when pressed by large groups / close friends. The black girl, on the other hand, is totally the kind of girl who would grab the megaphone and preach about oppression, but Daria would call her an idiot for virtue signaling.

Have you forgotten the episode where an edgy celebrity appeared and she spent the whole episode telling Daria about how edgy she is, with Daria being all "Hurr, I'm not edgy, she doesn't understand shit"
This was the best way to tell the audience that Daria is edgy as fuck and just doesn't want to acknowledge it, the whole episode was obviously written for that purpose.
If anything, She NEVER called her out on the muh opression bullshit, Daria is a two dimensional character, if she didn't like her views she would ridicule them, she fucking didn't.
>he didn't read till the end

>Thoreau
She is actually written of Stirner

No one's denying Daria is an edgy, pretentious teen.

Everyone is saying the message (and the character) are written on the cover and you don't need some "It was all in her mind," new age bullshit to justify the fact that the show portrays her as flawed and likes to knock her down a peg. Watch the finale for god's sake.

Also, keep in mind that while some episodes were devoted to knocking down Daria's ego, some others were devoted to using Daria's cynical perspective to attack MTV's other brainless bullshit. That celebrity thing in particular falls in the latter category. You'll find Daria development episodes past season 2, and "we hate MTV and pop culture" episodes moreso in the first two seasons.

Yeah she did. She called her out on it when they were doing their project. Both of them were wrong for different reasons. The black chick was also considered a huge hypocrite for being wealthy.

>If anything, She NEVER called her out on the muh opression bullshit, Daria is a two dimensional character, if she didn't like her views she would ridicule them, she fucking didn't.

you did not watch the show

>he didn't read till the end

why would I? That theory is old tired and dumb as fuck and can be applied to anything. Do they retract that "all in her head" idea before the end? Either way, it was said and I stand by that even mentioning it is cringey and retarded.

Ok, not NEVER but mostly, there are multiple examples of her not calling that out
>why would I
Because this is a different theory, to understand the show you need to understand that Daria is not actually smart and is just an autistic jerk

>Next you'll tell me she was in a coma the whole time

No dumbass, she actually died in the first episode and Lawndale is just a purgatory for teens that died young.

You can tell by each and every person she meets in highschool are from different eras.

Daria is a show about teen culture in the nineties. Its really not that hard of a concept to grasp.

>Stop pointing out obvious comparisons, it makes me feel bad

Sup Forumsmblr is a disease to this board

Kek.

didn't she realize in one the last episodes or a movie that she was actually kind of a bitch to a lot of people who didn't deserve it?? like how Kevin and Brittany are a jock/cheerleader but regularly talk to her despite her being the 'frumpy unpopular one'

>1997
>sjw garbage
go be 15 on Sup Forums

>jerkable

Daria's not SJW.

Hell, the show itself has an anti-gay episode (the first movie) where they introduce a lesbian who tries to get Jane drunk so she can fuck her without consent THEN starts fucking a moderately famous artist simply to advance her career and shits on Jane when she calls her out on trying to rape her/fucking a guy simply because she wants to be famous

You completely miss the entire point of Jodie's character.

She's shallow and self-absorbed and has a lot of Daria's personality traits. But she's basically stuck playing the super achieving token black girl who everyone loves so much that everyone, even the head cheerleader, keep electing her homecoming queen/prom queen/Student Body President to show how enlighten they are with putting a black girl front and center.

She fucking hates it and actually came a hair's breathe away from having a full on nigger moment during the homecoming float, shitting all over the town until she saw her younger sister in the crowd and pussied out.

Furthermore her mom and dad are basically Helen and Jake minus the parts that make them somewhat redeemable human beings: both are greedy yuppie scum but their marriage is basically one huge fucking sham by the time the series started because Jodie's mom (who only wanted ONE kid) got knocked up and she had to give up EVERYTHING to become a stay at home mom. And with her dad, basically micromanage Jodie's entire life for the sake of turning her into a greedy money loving yuppie/professional corporate type.

The movie finale ultimately has Jodie's entire plot be that she's about ready to flip the fuck out and counting down the days to college where she's been accepted to an respected mid-tier all black college so she can finally be herself and not be a stepfordized black person. But her parents find out that she applied to the all black college and demand she turn them down and instead go to an Ivy league school where she had been made to apply to and tells her to STFU when she makes her case that she wants to be among her own kind and not have to worry about being a Stepford black person. IIRC the show even chickens out on her eventually convincing her to go to the all black school

Not really; the show always made a point that Brittany and Kevin hung out with Daria despite being popular and her not being popular, mainly because they were too dumb to care/secretly super resentful towards the school's super vague rules for popularity (case in point, Brittany and Kevin only dated because they had no choice due to unspoken rules that said the head cheerleader could only date the quarterback; hence why they both cheated on the other like crazy).

Also, the show constantly made a point that Brittany was deep down a good person and saw Daria as a friend, in so far as she trusted Daria far more than Daria trusted her/considered her a friend. Kevin had his moments of humanity but but lacked Brittany's regular flashes of self-awareness.

Daria is my cartoon waifu!

This.

It's next to impossible to take Daria seriously in a modern context; it's a show that is irrevocably tied to the zeitgeist of the late 90s/pre-911 America.

>he thinks Americans in the mid-90s gave a fuck about Islam

>bisexual chick hits on character
>"I'm just not into you"
>ok then I'm going to bang our teacher because I have character flaws specific to me
>OMG THIS SHOW IS REDPILLED BECAUSE IT HATES GAYS JUST LIKE ME

I will never understand these people.

The only notably shows pre-911 that dealt with Islam were Bold and the Beautiful (one of the characters ends up stuck in the Middle East, presumed dead and held prisoner by a sultan) and Oz (which portrayed it's main Muslim character as a holier than now-hypocrite who caused a riot that got innocent people killed, PLUS only became a Muslim to punish his family, because they were 100% racist against white people and threatened to disown the character because he dared date white women).

And in the case of the later, when 911 happened, they basically pretended the terror attack never happened because they didn't want to make the racist white people on the show look even WORSE than they did (partly because the head white racist was gay as fuck) and the main Muslim character's actor was already halfway out the door, in order to do movie work and they didn't want to taint him with a controversial storyline where his character has to defend his religion after 911