Is this where Marvel quipping crossed the line...

Is this where Marvel quipping crossed the line? I haven't had a problem with it in any other movie but for fuck's sake it almost ruined Doctor Strange for me. Calling Wong Adele and Beyonce isn't clever or funny writing. The character completely lacked any kind of gravitas because he never once took anything seriously despite the awesome power with which he was faced. He even came face to face with Dormammu and quipped him down.

The special effects were amazing and make Wonder Woman look like amateur hour but I end up liking Wonder Woman more because it's allowed to just be a superhero movie instead of constantly ripping me out and winking at me. I love classic Strange comics so it's just such a bummer when they get the visuals so spot on but I'm left with such a disgusting taste in my mouth.

>quips are bad
i think they could double and triple the number of quips and i wouldn't have a problem

>ITT: "I'm autistic and it hurts to laugh at movie"

Is it summer already?

It has nothing to do with quips inherently being bad or being unable to laugh at a movie. I did really like Guardians when I first saw it. But the problem is that that becomes Strange's entire character. He never once takes anything seriously or has to earn anything. People tell him no and then he quips and does it anyway...and ends up being right. Because he "seems born to do this." When the main character doesn't care about anything and is never wrong or threatened what reason do I have to get invested? And frankly it just makes him come across unlikable. There was no character arc whatsoever. He's still cocky and ignoring the warnings of others to do whatever he wants by the end of the movie. It was just baffling the way they hired an all-star cast for the movie and not a single one plays an actual character.

You can really tell the DCEU/Snyder trolls are getting desperate with these bait threads now.

Thread after thread following Wonder Woman's release they've gotten absolutely no validation what-so-ever as they're repeatedly shut down over and over by the overwhelming influx of rational sane people (regardless their comic book preference) eager to talk about the new good movie and what that means for the failure's of the DCEU's previous efforts. As such they're spamming threads like these in mass hoping to bait and infuriate, kicking the puppy, if you will, as a means of cathartic validation for their own frustration. They're starting to realize that under no circumstances what-so-ever will they ever be able to create a narrative where MoS and BvS are universally accepted or liked so the only option left for them is to try and shit on the MCU with each thread focusing on a singular movie or meme.

By all means, attack this post with "but nobody brought up company wars before you faggot", but the amount of replies this thread has gotten is all too telling of the obviousness of the bait and ulterior agenda at play here.

Polite sage.

To me it makes fun instead of grim dark.

I still haven't watched on Netflix yet, waiting for a friend, but I really am dreading it. Like Man of Steel or BvS, the more clips I see the less I want to watch.

Summer isn't an excuse anymore, this is just how it is now. There was once a time that "summer" was true but now, it's only a means to cope with the depressing truth.

It's over.

But grim dark is mature and edgy like me

>le quips
Really? Because I sat and counted the jokes in that movie (yes I know) and there are less than a dozen, most of them are sight gags and the only one that felt out of place was the cape acting like an excitable puppy between murdering people

I was disappointed at how jokey Dr. Strange since the jokes didn't feel like they blended well with the film. Definitely needed more of the horror elements I was hoping for. I'm fairly sure the studio made Derrickson add them in

>But the problem is that that becomes Strange's entire character.
No, it didn't. Please watch the movie.

Huh?
wasn't this the least quippy marvel movie?

No, IM3 was.

>He even came face to face with Dormammu and quipped him down.
At this point, Sup Forums would consider "Hello, my name is Inego Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" a quip.

I agree with you in general, OP. Except for me the end of the line was Age of Ultron. Everyone in the movie had the exact same personality - they were all the quirky, quippy smartass character. Even Ultron. It was a whole team of quipsters versus a quip-bot. The lack of contrast and the fact that it made the villain entirely non-threatening just ruined it for me.

I like the MCU but Doctor Strange is a mediocre movie and I expect better from them. Especially after seeing Wonder Woman.

People keep ssaying the effects look good but they put no polish into them. The movie is going to look as blurry and fake as the Star Wars prequels a couple years from now.

The quips were indeed bad and was clearly forced in by the committee.

>I don't like to have fun.

Retard.

>Calling Wong Adele and Beyonce isn't clever or funny writing.
Strange at this point was basically a novice at trying to connect with people. Sure the scene was intended to be comedic, but not solely. It also shows that he's moving forward from his dark place and is trying to actually engage with someone, through humor, which he thought was a strength of his. Wong pointed out that it wasn't.

>The character completely lacked any kind of gravitas because he never once took anything seriously
He took losing the use of his hands seriously. He took learning magic seriously. He took fighting the zealots and defending the sanctum seriously (he only did quips before and after, not during). He took killing that guy seriously. He took the Ancient One drawing power from the Dark Dimension seriously, and he also took her death seriously. I also don't really recall him quipping Dormammu down. Are you just using that word loosely?

Pretty much the only valid criticism I see of youts is Strange still holding feelings of superiority and disregarding the rules, like stealing from the library and using Time magic. Although you could argue this was intentional, as it laid down the basis for a sequel.

>There was no character arc whatsoever.

Yeah, I was right about you. It's autism.

OP is confusing quips with memes.

No, I actually had no problem with the quips in DS since there were so few. Only the Adele/Beyonce thing was jarring, I expected it to be much worse after seeing Sup Forums throw autism fits over it.

It was AoU and GotG vol 2 that crossed the line for me. The only times I felt the movie was ruined by excessive joking and left a bad taste in my mouth. I find the quipping argument to be extremely overused in regards to Doctor Strange and especially Civil War. Both had 1 or 2 shitty quips, but in general they were ok with comedy, never really took me out of the movies. Whedon and Gunn are the only ones in the MCU that need to be reigned in when it comes to comedy, it really is too excessive sometimes.

I think people have been mistaking quips with what used to be called "snark".

Quips are one-liners you use when fighting.

Snark is just an overall sarcastic, witty style of dialogue.

Both are annoying when overdone but I think the snark is the real problem with MCU writing. Every character talks like Buffy or Daria, and it's treated like a joke when characters DON'T talk like that such as Loki.

Ironically Whedon's name used to be synonymous with snarky dialogue so the fact that the term suddenly disappeared when he took over Avengers and was replaced with "quips" is funny.

Strange is the only MCU movie I liked enough to buy it.

Though if the Cap trilogy boxed set was released in the US i'd probably buy that too. I don't know why they refuse to do so.

Yes user, post 1990 capeshit movie is garbage.
More news at 11.
Also, if you liked any of those movies, off yourself.

loki has his fair share
and i really prefer a very snarky universe, people just cant resist getting a joke on others, and it seems natural that super heroes would make super snark to others
i dont think i ever complained about too much quips or snark, and the darker the situation the more we would make them, in-universe to keep up morale and meta-wise to remind the audience that life-threatening situations are just another day at the office

I recently watched it and it didn't bother me as much as it did when I saw it in theaters. The movie is a fair bit darker than most other Marvel movies (it opens with a decapitation), so the quipping is probably a way to alleviate that. Still, aside from the "Beyonce" scene I can't think of many scenes of quipping. The "wi-fi" joke is a little cringey but it makes sense for a modern adaption, it pokes a bit of fun.

And people who think "Dormammu, I've come to bargain" is a quip are autistic. No part of that scene was meant to be funny, at least in my opinion.

You think the quips in this were bad? Did you not see Avengers 2?