Rick's depression

If he's such a genius then why doesn't he invent something to make himself happy?

io9.gizmodo.com/5818371/the-chemicals-that-make-you-happy--no--not-those

bump

Because while Rick can barely live the lie of being around his current family, he can't live with the thought of living the lie of making himself be happy through whatever other means. He fully accepts the emotions that come to him.

because Rick knows that ignorance is bliss and he would rather be miserable and smart then stupid and happy

He doesn't want to be happy

I have the feeling Justin roland comes everyday to Sup Forums asks a question about his show and tries to make an episode out of the answers

This, basically.

As you said they're just chemicals.

because then the character arc would be completely resolved, and that doesn't make for entertaining tv.

Then why does he chose to be sad? Anger is clearly the superior emotion

Would you invent something to change your personality if you could?

Yes

It already exists, it's called a lobotomy.

I think this is the best answer. Intelligence is the one thing he values most in life, and happiness will take that away from him. In the dream sequence of him in his garage with his wife. It shows him disregarding science for his family.

>Because while Rick can barely live the lie of being around his current family, he can't live with the thought of living the lie of making himself be happy through whatever other means. He fully accepts the emotions that come to him.

Except for when he chooses to imbibe of brain-chemistry altering intoxicants.

Why does everyone take Rick's "raaah love is just chemical reactions wub a lub a dub dub hahaha the only thing that matters is science being happy is for dumb people" bullshit at face value? It's obvious that he says one thing and feels something entirely different. He's a sad, broken man who's ill-equipped to deal with his feelings and so he evades them by using his intellect and inventions to go on wacky adventures which serve as a constant distraction from how truly, deeply alone he feels and the weight of the myriad mistakes he's made in his wretched life.

You become even more miserable you idiot. I compensated the loneliness and lack of time while in medical school with benzodiazepines and the occasional cocaine bump. It was all good for like 4 years until it all lost its glitter. I tried alternatives but nothing works
>Weed causes intense ruminations
>Benzo's started to erase 8 hours of memories after taking them
>Cocaine is jolty and the come down is now not worth it
>Alcohol just makes me miserable
>A lot of other shit is too addictive

When your life is shit beyond repair and a psychiatrist just won't cut it you have only two options suicide or indifference, DEAL WITH IT.

>happiness will take that away from him
No it wouldn't.

But drugs and alcohol are already invented?

>He's a sad, broken man who's ill-equipped to deal with his feelings and so he evades them by using his intellect and inventions to go on wacky adventures which serve as a constant distraction from how truly, deeply alone he feels and the weight of the myriad mistakes he's made in his wretched life.

Don't forget the alcohol and drugs to dull the pain.

I think so many people take him at face value because a large chunk of the audience is still in the teens and early twenties. They've had their naive and idealized view of the world stripped away.

Rick's cynical outlook represents their feelings and his nihilistic and no-fucks-given attitude is a naturally attractive alternative. Lots of kids go through that phase. I know I did.

But then you get more life experience, realize you're not so alone, learn that life is more nuanced, have time to get to discover what it is that you truly value, and learn to take the good with the bad.

That's not how intelligence works.

>But then you get more life experience, realize you're not so alone, learn that life is more nuanced, have time to get to discover what it is that you truly value, and learn to take the good with the bad.

Spoken like a true middle class suburbanite.

cause he would feel like he lost his identity if he did

Just say "first worler" and yes that is the standard. Sorry if you didn't quite make it to civilization yet.

>Sorry if you didn't quite make it to civilization yet.

Well, I do live in the US.

>he can't live with the thought of living the lie of making himself be happy through whatever other means.
Wouldn't you argue him using alcohol and space drugs is essentially him using depressants and intoxicants to alter his brain and emotions?

Why would he need to invent drugs that make you happy when they already exist? He abuses them on a regular basis.

Poor people that aren't predisposed to crime actually have less mental anguish or emotional baggage than normal people.

The federation already has those, user. They pay everyone with pills.

Does this mean I'm going to commit a crime at some point?

If you can't or won't succeed the regular way, maybe.

What is abnormal about being poor? If anything poverty is the majority for the human race, not that that's a good thing.

Eh, I'm a coward so getting in the drug business isn't a workable solution.

It is pretty normal for depressed people to want to make themselves feel bad

Because they don't have the leisure time to stop and think about the fact that none of what they're doing means anything.

That's an opinion you retard

Not since Nietzsche.

That's entry level philosophy. It's a starting point, not the end.

What if Doofus Rick was actually just like the other Ricks but created a machine to get rid of his depression but also took most of his intelligence?

Well tell me where to go from here because I'm in nihilistic hell.

Pretty much this. Rick's receptors are probably fucked beyond repair.

Go with something simple like Dao de Jing

With intelligence on the level of Rick you know everything is pointless, no invention can erase that fact.

And why is that supposed to matter?

Rick may be a genius, but whoever writes him isn't.

Atheists such as crotchety old Mr. Sanchez think they've got it all figured out...
... but then why are they always so sad?

Dude