New article on the DuckTales reboot cast

New article on the DuckTales reboot cast

ew.com/tv/2017/06/08/ducktales-exclusive-characters-cast/

>Life is like a hurricane here in… modern-day America. But in Duckburg, it’s a veritable storm of fun, adventure, and d-d-d-danger for fans awaiting Disney XD’s summer revival of DuckTales, the beloved ‘80s cartoon about Donald Duck’s nephews and their wild excursions with great-uncle Scrooge McDuck (voiced by Doctor Who’s David Tennant).

>Premiering in August, the series has been carefully crafted as a familiar reboot albeit with contemporary comedy updates to the Disney Afternoon original. “One of the things we always loved about the old show was that it was this family of adventurers, but the emphasis in every episode had always been on the adventure and plotline,” says co-producer Francisco Angones. “The basic conceit of growing our show was that this is a big blended family of adventurers, so it should feel like a combination of Indiana Jones and a blended Arrested Development-style family sitcom where every character has a different relationship to one another.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nsNJjGGR4P8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The revival sticks to its adventure-of-the-week DNA, but with a hint of season-long serialization — one big mystery of the first season involves a decade-old family secret about why Scrooge and Donald stopped spelunking together — as well as sharpened characterization for nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie (Danny Pudi, Ben Schwartz, and Bobby Moynihan). “Since everyone always says ‘Huey, Dewey, and Louie’ in that exact order, we decided to make that the birth order, and by defining that, we were able to assign traits that fit,” says executive producer Matt Youngberg. “So, Huey’s the oldest, a little more responsible, a little bit brainy. Dewey wants to stand out, and wants to break out of being labeled as just one of a set of three. And Louie is happy being the youngest child — he can slip under the radar.”

>Joining the pack (though decidedly not the Quack Pack), expect significantly more screen time for little Webby (Kate Micucci), Scrooge’s niece-by-affection, whom Youngberg says has “a stronger and more unique voice than she ever had before.” Angones adds, “We almost never say ‘the nephews’ or ‘the boys’ — she’s a crucial part of the adventuring team, and they really are this big, weird family. If Huey has Scrooge’s brains, Dewey has Scrooge’s guts, and Louie has Scrooge’s love of treasure, Webby has Scrooge’s heart.”

>Donald Duck (Tony Anselmo)

>Expect to see a lot more of this world-class walking temper tantrum in the new reboot, which bumps Donald Duck up to main cast status. “He’s been a single parent obsessively taking care of the boys, and he’s a little bit overprotective and doesn’t want to take a lot of risks, whereas so much of Scrooge’s success is based on the fact that he’s willing to take risks,” says Angones. “In our world, about 10 years ago, Scrooge and Donald used to go on these big, crazy, rip-roaring adventures, and then they stopped talking to each other, to the point where when we start our show, Huey, Dewey, and Louie don’t even know that the richest duck in the world and this legendary explorer is their great uncle.” By the end of the first episode, Donald reluctantly moves his whole family in with Scrooge, but maintains some degree of his own independence — by keeping his houseboat in the pool.

>Gladstone Gander (Paul F. Tompkins)

>Few things can unite Scrooge and Donald like a shared nemesis, and we find that in Gladstone Gander, a dandy old character who always irked Donald and now gets under Scrooge’s feathers, too. Angones says, “The great thing about Gladstone is that since Donald is fundamentally unlucky, Gladstone is supernaturally lucky, and so Scrooge and Donald can both agree that they hate Gladstone because he does nothing and gets everything.” (Also worth hating: Gladstone’s father’s name is Goosetave. GOOSETAVE.)

Still no date to put in my cucklog.

>Gyro Gearloose (Jim Rash)

>You’ll notice Scrooge’s in-house mad scientist has gotten a fairly hipster makeover, but neither his wild inventions nor vocal exclamations (by Community’s Jim Rash) are any less manic. While his intern Fenton (Lin-Manuel Miranda) moonlights as local superhero Gizmoduck, presumable fan-favorite Gyro Gearloose keeps the spirit of DuckTales’ crazy super-science alive.

>birth order

They would have hatched from three eggs. What difference does it make?

>Goldie O’Gilt (Allison Janney)

>Returning as Scrooge’s longtime paramour is Goldie O’Gilt, a fellow adventurer who has a curious relationship with old McDuck. “In our adaptation, Scrooge is more of an adventure junkie than a gold addict, so we kept saying, ‘Well, if Scrooge is like Batman, then Goldie should be like Catwoman,’” says Angones. “She’s equally adventurous, every bit Scrooge’s equal, and he hates and loves that. They have this amazingly contentious relationship that’s been going on ages and ages, spanning back to the Gold Rush days.” Plus, the producers say it was David Tennant who geeked out the most about Janney joining the cast: “He heard us play a line she had recorded and he said, ‘That’s C.J. Cregg!'”

Is it bothering anybody else that they keep using the theme song lyrics as promotion?

>The revival sticks to its adventure-of-the-week DNA, but with a hint of season-long serialization
Called it.

I mean, after GF and Star vs and essentially having no reason not to use more of the comics, they would have to be insane not to do this

>Ma Beagle (Margo Martindale) and the Beagle Boys (Eric Bauza)

>The perennially annoying villains are back in full force to block Scrooge’s adventures, with beloved character actress Margo Martindale on hand to voice the maniacal matriarch of the family of genuinely idiotic criminals. Big fans will note that they actually look like dogs this time. Relatively.

>Flintheart Glomgold (Keith Ferguson)

>One of Scrooge’s wealthy equals in Duckburg is Scottish showman Flintheart Glomgold, whom Youngberg describes as “this kind of go-go ‘80s billionaire who made all his money from branding and getting his face on every storefront.” Angones says, “Glomgold is bigger, faster, and cheaper. An in-joke we had for him was that originally in the comics, he was South African, and then they made him Scottish in [the original] DuckTales, so we really leaned into that and decided that when Glomgold saw that Scrooge was a Scottish billionaire, he decided to be the cheap knock-off. More Scottish and even richer.”

>‘Well, if Scrooge is like Batman, then Goldie should be like Catwoman
Well I already know where this is going

>when Glomgold saw that Scrooge was a Scottish billionaire, he decided to be the cheap knock-off.

That's kind of hilarious.

>Mark Beaks (Josh Brener)

>The Silicon Valley actor adds fresh blood to the echelon of wealthy ducks that dominate the city. “We had a bunch of old money billionaires — Scrooge is the oldest money, this billionaire of the industrial revolution, and we have Glomgold — so we included somebody who’s representative of today’s billionaires, which is the tech industry billionaire,” says Youngberg. “Mark Beaks doesn’t care as much about money as he cares about status and being buzzworthy and how many followers he has.” Angones adds, “Josh Brener was so incredibly on all the time, selling and pitching. He’s a character who’s so broad and over the top, you love to be annoyed by him.”

Show starts in August, but no specific date's given.

>An in-joke we had for him was that originally in the comics, he was South African, and then they made him Scottish in [the original] DuckTales, so we really leaned into that and decided that when Glomgold saw that Scrooge was a Scottish billionaire, he decided to be the cheap knock-off. More Scottish and even richer
Kek. Would they bring this up in universe too?

>even richer

REEEEEEE

>Duck version of Steve Jobs

Twitter and Buzzfeed are already bird-themed

>Angones adds, “Josh Brener was so incredibly on all the time, selling and pitching. He’s a character who’s so broad and over the top, you love to be annoyed by him.”

Is he going to be Liquidator: DuckTales Edition? I hope so.

He wants to be

It says August at the end of the article.

It's unlikely but I want them to use the Euro ducks.

Webby is going to either be the best or the worst part of the show. No inbetween. Though you can't get much lower than how she already was portrayed in the series.

Who here is hyped? I want my damn adventure cartoons.

The Donald character art they had since I decided to put the profile with the houseboat screencap.

Couldn't they have just made him Rockerduck?

>Known Ducktales crew members
>Producer (Showrunner?)
Matt Youngberg (Teen Titans, The Batman, Transformers Animated, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien)

>Art Director
Sean Jimeniz (writer/boarder on season 1 of adventure time, background designer on gravity falls and the mickey mouse shorts)

>Head Writer
Francisco Angones (Wander over Yonder)

>Other known writers
Christian Magalhaes & Robert Snow (involved in the story for the Star vs episode Mathmagic)

>Directors
John Aoshima (Futurama, American Dad, Gravity Falls, Star vs)
Dana Terrace (storyboard artist on gravity falls)
Tanner Johnson (storyboard artist on Ben 10 Omniverse)

>Storyboard Artists
Jason Reicher (Uncle Grandpa)
Ryan Jouas (Uncle Grandpa)
Sam King (Clarence)

there's probably a ton of other boarders I'm missing

I'm cautiously hype, it seems cool so I hope Disney can do reboots better than CN

Didn't they say Rockerduck's already in this?

I hope they don't make him redundant then.

Fuck, German Disney channel is going to run this show into the ground so hard it makes TTG look like a one time special

I am. It may not live up to the comics, maybe not the original, but it will still be the best current cartoon.

>Not Rob Paulsen

El disappointo.

I was hype from the first look at the show

The order in which they hatched, I guess.

>some people just want to watch the world burn

Honestly I fear the show's gonna get popular enough that people are gonna craw out of the woodwork to complain about it mainly because it's popular (combined with some hype backlash)

>one big mystery of the first season involves a decade-old family secret about why Scrooge and Donald stopped spelunking together
I knew this was significant!

>“In our world, about 10 years ago, Scrooge and Donald used to go on these big, crazy, rip-roaring adventures, and then they stopped talking to each other,

Oh wow. I wonder why.

I WANT TO FUCK THAT DUCK!

Huey: Are you okay, Uncle Donald?

Dewey: Yeah. Gearloose says you might be insane now and-

Donald: (chuckles) Are you kidding? ...okay, I'm just turning 16 and having a birthday pool party. My uncle invites every girl he knows, and I'm not talking about girls my age. No, not Scrooge. He invites Playboy Bunnies and models and, I think, actual whores - you know, real prostitutes. So there I am in my giant bathing suit with nervous puberty oozing out of my molting feathers. Just, just awful. So, the band suddenly stops playing and I hear "And now the fowl of the hour, Donald Duck!" All eyes on me, right? Then suddenly, almost predictably, Ludwig Von Drake shoots my groin with a shrink ray right as that fucking jackass Emily Quackfaster pulls my shorts down.

Louie: Wow. That's...that's like a nightmare.

Donald: Oh, no! No! What I went through today was "like a nightmare." What happened when I was 16, that...is my life!

I hope they keep their relationship like this because Scrooge and Donald sperging out at each other are the best thing about Barks/Rosa stories.

So....he's a Virtue Signaling Social Justice Wanker faggot? If his purpose is to be annoying to viewers. Then good job, if not? Then oh no.

>Gladstone's father's named Goosetave

And immediately the German dub will have to change one more name apart from the traditionals, because Gladstone himself is called Gustav Gans over hier.

Nope.

Well it took about forty posts before the mentally ill showed up.

>>Life is like a hurricane here in… modern-day America
Why are people so obsessed?

>single parent
But he's their uncle.

duck tits!

Who thanks to the hospitalization of his brother-in-law has been acting in the role of a parent for years.

Single parental figure anyways

Read the fucking comics- Rockerduck is a lazyass who instead of working, simply inherited his fortune from his father and stays relevant by tricking, lying and bribing his way to the top, plus he loves spending his money just to show he can.
Scrooge and Flintheart are absurdly frugal misers who both share the same love for piling up money while the new OC is a workhacolic who does it for the attention and status.

He's basically Rockerduck's foil, just like Flinthheart is Scrooge's foil too. It will work.

Paul F Tompkins makes everything amazing.

How exactly does any of what you said change the fact that is a pretty accurate description of Rockerduck?

LEGENDARY CHARACTER ACTRESS MARGO MARTINDALE?!

Glittering GILF. Also will they bring in her granddaughter at some point and drop the summation that Goldie and Scrooge shared a moment way back when in the Klondike. Though we may never see the offspring.

SPANIDUCKITA

why everything has to be awful?
WHY? WHY?!

The biggest legacy from this show was Disney nostalgia and the theme song and they're already using the nostalgia

I don't think anybody actually remembers the plots the episodes had or anything or else everybody would agree the show went to shit after season 2 once they stopped having wacky adventures and more often than not just weird shit happening in the city

> Liking DonRosa's glorified fanfic

This is the canon Donald/Scrooge relationship from Bark's run, user.
Equally badass, equally stubborn and equally stupid instead of DonRosa's Scrooge masturbation.

But that's exactly the sort of thing I was referring to. What are you on about?

>reading comprehension
What a tard

>beloved character actress Margo Martindale

Phew, glad she survived the explosion.

Read what I fucking wrote- both characters like to showoff but the new guy is a workhacolic who at least earns his status while Rockerduck is a lazy ass who got his fortune for free and wants to be popular minus the work part.

Rockerduck's comics always keep the same structure: cheating, lying, sabotaging Scrooge's business and eventually being defeated by his own trickery backfiring on him.

OK, I must apologize. I was answering to the guy who posted that Don Rosa pic and instead clicked on your comment.
I would do like Rockerduck and eat my hat, if I had a hat to eat that's it.

Also, more Barks duck dickery, which wasn't present at all on DonRosa's comics.

Well that's amazing
It's probably just a coincidence but still amazing

Hell yes. Even if I'm worried about Webby and Beakley this thread boosted my hype.

I didn't get it at all until I looked it up, holy shit that's hilarious

Good thing she managed to get out from underwater

No other new images of Mrs. Beakley?

>Even if I'm worried about Webby and Beakley

Why's that?

Probably some kind of "girls in modern cartoons" thing

>"girls in modern cartoons" thing

What about them?

Darkwing Duck when?

THICC

So wait, he's South African who pretends to be Scottish in the new show?

If so, that is hilarious.

He's more Mark Zuckerberg or any Silicon Valley millionaire you see these days.

He's probably worried about her being another Mabel, a character who started off fine but got worse and worse as the show went on due to a lack of development.

>Rockerduck is a lazyass who instead of working, simply inherited his fortune from his father and stays relevant by tricking, lying and bribing his way to the top,
In what stories?

Rockerduck is mainly an Italian character, and while he might have inherited part of his fortune he made it to 2nd richest by actually being a competent businessman.
Sure, he does cheat, steal and lies, but in Italian stories Scrooge does, too.
The main difference is Scrooge being stingy while Rockerduck enjoys his money sometimes too much.
There are many comics showing his spending freely is his undoing in "who's richer" fights with Scrooge, as well as many depicting him as the only one able to stand up to Scrooge as a businessman.
Hell, half the comics with him are about him discovering a new market segment and Scrooge copying him, getting the upper hand usually because he has Gyro who works almost for free.

Also, Italy, too, made a (seldom) returning New Tech Young Billionaire: it worked as a foil to Scrooge being Old Money stereotype and Rockerduck being New Rich stereotype

>Rockerduck's comics always keep the same structure: cheating, lying, sabotaging Scrooge's business and eventually being defeated by his own trickery backfiring on him.
Don't forget eating his own hat.

>season long serialization
right, or what we normal speaking people call a story arc.

youtube.com/watch?v=nsNJjGGR4P8
They just leaked a new theme song.

>beloved character actress margo martindale survived the explosion and left hollywoo for duckburg

Emmy Cicerega is a boarder for sure

That user was referring to tokenism.
Which was a problem in 90's cartoons because token girl characters often took the form of the "little sister" trope, which were useless and irritating. Not that it was better when in reverse as the "little brother".
Like Webby in the first cartoon was. Seems they are specifically avoiding it this time though.

Not sure why they are worried about Beakley.

thats still better than old webby who not only didnt develop but started out crap

What about Daisy?

>so young
That's not the body of an 80+ year old duck. Donald should steal her away.

>>the obvious Drumpf parody
why do drumpf fags get so triggered when an obviously evil rich businessman is in anything

Because they a bunch of a ding-dongs.

Beside, evil business men is nothing new in fiction.

Jesus you people are self-parodying.

You could at least pretend to know what you're talking about

he's a trump fag of course he doesnt

They feel the need to defend Trump on everything, and apparently defending him from all the criticisms he gets isn't enough, they have to actively look for other slights against their God Emperor to bitch about.
OBVIOUSLY any evil rich businessperon that shows up in any form of media has to be a Trump reference.

>don't actually disprove anything, just try to attack and discredit the source
Yep, Hirsch and Dana's liberal gang is all here.

Who knows. I'm more curious about Magica De Spell.

>don't actually disprove anything,

You mean like you're doing now?

>don't actually disprove anything
You don't have anything worth disproving

Fuck, basing evil rich businessmen on Trump isn't even new, since Back To The Future 2 back in '89.

Meaning him being a cartoonish villain basis is older than many of those who defend him.

They're political hipsters.

I don't want to prove or disprove anything, I just want to make fun of you.