Green Lanterns

Why does Earth have so many space cops?

We've got like, eight of them, give or take.

Are we the ghetto of the universe or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/12/police-response-times
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Are we the ghetto of the universe or something?

Yes, everybody got spaceships, and we do not.

Also darkseid hate this place too.

The better question is why do other planets NOT have as many lanterns?

Its nonsense that singular lanterns are meant to try and enforce their nebulous concept of Lantern Law over entire sectors of space on their own.
Even to only safeguard a single galaxy they would need a billion-jillion ringbearers and support staff.

>Alan Scott
>Hal Jordan
>Guy Gardner
>John Stewart
>Kyle Rayner
>Simon Baz
>Jessica Cruz
>Dex Starr
>Carol Ferris
>Dela Pharon
>Deborah Camille Darnell
>Jillian Pearlman

What's with all of the Earth Lanterns?

even worse when you consider that a Lantern's sector is several galaxies, and the green lanterns are supposed to police the entire universe.

Earth is the center of the Multiverse.

Comicbook writers are hacks.

You might as well ask why in Marvel comics New York seems to have the majority of the world's superheroes.

>didn't even include Charlie Vicker

Fucking CASUAL

It's a nice place, but Earth is really a high crime neighborhood.
When most of the GLs assigned to 2184 start, they're the only one assigned to it, then their predecessors come out of retirement or whatever.

This is just the dumbest shit.

And what about all the other planets in Sector 2814?

Think of how much shit happens on Earth. That's why there's so many.

Ghetto nothing. We're fucking Columbia.

It makes sense. Imagine how races like the guardians would view Humanity.

Nah, we're worse. We're like the really poor parts of a war torn african country at best.

>Spaceships can't even travel to the nearest planet with humans on them and back
>Uses liquified fossils as it's main fuel, and fights wars over it, despite the rise of safe alternatives
>So addicted to doing this, that we cause this planet to be unihabitable to us
>In complete denial over this, with responses ranging from 'nah, we couldn't do that' to 'IT IS GOD'S WILL'
>We regularly try to sort people like a kid with aspergers at a ball pool
>We blame all our other problems on the fact that it's unsorted, and not the fact the staff are pissing into the pool at regular intervals
>We take great pride, not in our own achievements, but in what specific slice of shit we were born in
>War between slices of shit is seen as inevitable, and trying to even lessen said turmoils is seen as bleeding hearted at best
>Reporting rape and other war crimes is seen as letting the team down
>Members of society literally die from eating too much, while others die from eating too little
>The Darwin Awards not only exist, but feature far too many candidates for an award with no personal lump sum
>Every country where seperation of church and state is built into the countries very foundations eventually becomes zealot filled as fuck, where it's more likely that someone from a cult will lead your country than a closeted atheist
>War occurs not only over which god to worship, but how best to worship it

Honestly, if the alien community actually exists and knows about us, they're probably debating whether to a) leave/quaratine us alone forever or b) put us under martial law for our own protection.

But what about the billion and one supergeniuses on Earth? The super comicbook tech that is literally everywhere in the DC world?

The propaganda of savages desu. Our actual geniuses, the really succesful ones? They spent their time in philanthropic efforts, injecting themselves with the blood of young people, and everything in between.

In actual comic universes, Batman and Iron Man should reasonably stand no chance. People forget that in Avengers, the only reason they won was because their control method limitless supply of troops got hit by a nuke. And that's only because luck conspired with jackass plans to given an impromptu solution.

And despite all these geniuses, with their overpowered reality warping machines, not one of them has creating a way of travelling interstellar distances at a reasonable pace. Imagine an alien race figuring out how to make a fully functional nuclear armament before creating the wheel. That's a comic Earth, and to a lesser extent, us.

It'd be like how there was always one chosen defender of the homeland whenever a country was invaded. Joan of Arc was mostly succesful, and so was William Wallace, so you know about them. No-one cares about the dozens of Native American saviours that probably showed up, because they're all dead, as the colonists gave zero fucks.

Also I think the White Lantern's entity was born on Earth, making it the origin of sentient thought in the universe. I think thats what Blackest Night was trying to tell me anyway, my brain kind of switched off by that point.

Earth is literally the center of their universe in DC.

The Oans liked to pretend it was Oa, but they were wrong.

Pretty sure Oa was at the geographical center of the Universe, but Earth is the center of the Multiverse after COIE.

>The better question is why do other planets NOT have as many lanterns?

That fish-like race have like two greens and one yellow

Sadly, the sci-fi aspect of Green Lantern has been largely overlooked in favor of minority boxchecking.

We could make the next Green Lantern from Sector 2814 an alien from one of the non-Earth planets, but the opportunity cost of doing that is not having the first Asian Green Lantern or the first Native American Green Lantern or whatever. And considering how much modern comic book writers love to pat themselves on the back for "representation", I expect this problem to get a lot worse before it ever gets better.

Because they are cute
I hope Alan will come back soon too

Whatever happened to that British nerd that became a Red Lantern?

>boxchecking
>not B'ox-checking

Answer: Yes

Apokolips has got nothing on us

I'm pretty sure he wasn't killed, he just kinda disappeared between the end of Red Lanterns and the next time Atrocitus showed up.

>Forgetting Nero and Rankorr

Casual

D-don't bully.

We're literally space somalia

In the Silver/Bronze Age, most of the Corps consider Hal being a GL as a mistake. He wasn't really chosen according to protocol and they're mainly just respecting the wishes of Abin Sur.

Guy was another potential candidate but was in a coma so the ring skipped. During COIE he came back as a suicide bomber. Then he got de-GLed and became a Sinestro knock-off before becoming Warrior.

I never read John's origin so I don't know the circumstances.

Alan Scott really doesn't even enter into the equation until after COIE.

Kyle became the last Green Lantern, Hal went crazy, Guy went Warrior, and John did stuff.

Simon and Jess got their rings because diversity I guess.

>In the Silver/Bronze Age, most of the Corps consider Hal being a GL as a mistake
They were right

Green Lantern vol.2 #149 is fun for a racist Salaak

Simon got his because Hal was technically dead, Kyle was off becoming the White Lantern, Guy was Red at this point I think, and John was an Honor Corp member, and so was Guy if he wasn't red.
So the position was technically vacant.

I'm not sure why Jess was chosen, being that Hal was alive and had his ring, and Simon was bumbling around Dearborn I guess.
But she's cute and fun, so I'm not going to argue about it.

This is the classic page they do before everything turns to shit

Y'see, Sup Forums, the fact of the matter is...

...this is how we rank the earth GLs:

Guy > Hal > John > Jessica > Alan > Simon > Kyle

>Every country where seperation of church and state is built into the countries very foundations eventually becomes zealot filled as fuck, where it's more likely that someone from a cult will lead your country than a closeted atheist
What? Plenty of European countries have separation of church and state.

I'm cool with multiple lanterns from other corps being from Earth, like Dex Starr and such. But if I recall, the old rule was that each planet could only have one rep in the Green Lantern corps. Alan was not considered a member so Hal was the rep.

Then Guy Gardner was apparently so full of willpower that Earth got two reps. Ok, weird but fine.

Then fuck it, everyone gets a green ring.

Didn't it have something to do with her being power ring's host?

How are they meant to defend the universe if they only let in one person per inhabited planet?

yeah the niggas are here

*MAXIUM OVERTIP*

You mean the tech mostly developped and sold by Lex Luthor, known super-villain psychopath, and Wayne Enterprises, """run""" by a guy that'd rather stay up all night in a leather bat costume to punch a gay clown?

Johns is a hack.

That's the only answer you need

>Earth is such a shithole Darkseid wants to come because we make a better Apokolips than Apokolips

there aren't a bunch of cops in the ghetto.

That's why it's the ghetto.

economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/12/police-response-times

He's dead NuBo killed him.
Granted this was just before he killed the entire Red Lantern Corps and Atrocitus brought them back with blood magic.

>Kyle last
But that's wrong, Kyle is the best Lantern.
Best Earth Lantern, the best Lantern is Saint Walker.

God I'm glad they got rid of NuBo. That page in Hal-n-Pals where they leave him to Larfleeze was nice

>Pssh, nothin' personal kid

Please tell me the writer got fired

>one person per inhabited planet
Not even, it's two per sector, out of 3600 sectors shaped like a piece of pie, so that everyone is still in their sector while they're on Oa. Plus a dozen or so Honor Guard Lanterns like John and Guy and I guess Salaak.

The writer was Cullen Bunn who at the same time as writing this was writing the fantastic Sinestro ongoing.

No dingus, it's

Guy > Hal > Alan > Jessica > Simon > John > Kyle

Commissioner Gordon would make such a good Lantern tho

Because a bunch of evil space assholes have grudges against this planet specifically

He would rape Sinestro.

You must rape Sinestro in order to save the universe Hal!

Jim, it can't be rape if it's consensual.

Sort of yea.

>Earth has a few hundred to thousand superpowered beings, at least 80% of them are evil.
>They have managed to produce at least a handfull of insanely powerful multiveral threats, even more reality warping fucking dangerous individuals, and formed the Speed Force.
>All the magic of the Empire of Tears is there, a lord of order and a lord of chaos live there, there are whole communities of superpowered beings living there, the last existing old god of the third world lives there,
>exist right next door to the Martians, burning martians and is still around,
>Each and every hugely powerful alien warlord or conquering armada has been stopped dead at Earth, including Imperiex and Darkseid.
>Only planet to have stopped Brainiac, and Doomsday.....5 times

They can manufacture Captain Atoms, Brother Eyes, and Amazos all day if they really want to spend the resources

Earth should be considered the single most fucking dangerous location in the universe in DC. Stationing 5 corps lanterns, 2 unofficial ones, a red lantern, and a sinestro corps lantern are still not enough to begin putting a dent into the omnicidal threat that is Earth.

Pretty much this

There is ALWAYS at lest a dozen or so superpowered people fucking shit up, robbing someone or conquering a city. Along with 1-2 alien conquerors in orbit, or a giant monster attacking something,

Earth is the space equivalent of a really extra shitty central African hellhole with nonstop warlords, tribal wars, killer diseases, and foreign weapons being traded around like candy.

And the being a seriously backward barbaric technology free civilization helps push that view among most of the universe.

What's the strongest lantern color?

But Blackest Night shows that you cannot impale a red lantern and kill them. Their heart is already not working so that won't work..

Green is most reliable, Blue is best but they have to be near a green to be able to do anything at all.

Green boosted by Blue, unless you want to throw White into the equation.
Kyle should have been OP as the White Lantern, but it was always Hal's story, so he had to job.

so.. Invasion II, electric Boogaloo?

White. After that its Orange because the whole corps/guardian/battery/animal is concentrated in a single being.

>Kyle should have been OP as the White Lantern, but it was always Hal's story, so he had to job.
he had his own ongoing, it's not Hal's fault that nobody could actually think up anything interesting to do with WL Kyle

I imagine earth is an anomaly in that it has so many unique super powered individuals that are similar in power to Lanterns, so it's sort of out of necessity that the corps keeps a high number of officers in this sector. In that same vein, for every high tech sci fi race sector, there's probably dozens of sectors with no intelligent life at all that wouldn't require it's GLs to pay too much active attention to it, hence that one gl that's a sentient bacteria

Gonna need to see the page for this

Was that thing between Kyle and Bueno consensual too?

1/2

2/2

Leezle solo series when

>Hal
>Doing the raping
>implying you can rape your true love

Orange out of the "normal" ones

Literally every major cosmic DC villain has at one point or another made a B line at Earth
It's also the home of several near extinct species (Kryptonians, Green Martians, Kryptonian dogs, probably a bunch of shit not dorectly mentioned)
Earth needs protection

I thought Jessica just came brack from an alternate universe or something? idk

there's more than that. Like the Corpse

>The ghetto of the universe?

Yes, we are.

We

>Refuse to better ourselves
>Refuse to quit fighting over petty shit and make the world better for the next generation
>Blame someone else

Jessica got hers from Earth 3 after evil Hal died from the Forever Evil event. She manages to get over her mind problems and tame it.