Liefeld

I was watching this interview with Liefeld and I just thought, man, this fan flatters the shit out of him and he's still extremely defensive over his reputation and legacy. Is Liefeld the most insecure comic personality out there?

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=admpkSxGGpE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=54_ZPy8feyA
youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I would be too if I was Liefeld. Being surrounded with people that have no talent yet somehow posessing more talent than him must suck.

You too would be insecure as fuck if you were the laughingstock of the industry. I actually feel bad for the guy, even if he can be kind of a dick sometimes.

Liefeld art thread?

Liefeld art thread.

The dude has been the internet's laziest punchline for over a decade, of course he's defensive.

>I'm a potato

Liefeld signed so many fucking comics for me when I was 9, it's ridiculous
literately gave me a dozen or so comics too to walk away with
I love that man

The joke's over Phil

You know what? This guy's art is trash, and his writing style is so far over the top that it hurts to read, but in old interviews he's so fucking psyched about comics that I can't help but feel bad for the guy. He's like a giant kid who loved what he was doing but had no clue how to do it.

He's got napoleon syndrome. I can't tell how tall he is in the video, because I don't know how tall the other guy is, but he looks like a scrappy little guy, less than 6" I'm guessing. Manlet.

he's almost as short as an asian

But they don't draw dimes while he does

The only insecure sounding one here is you.

so if rob didn't exist, who would've been the industry joke?

same criticisms as rob but because rob exists he gets a pass.

I've never seen him search out untagged tweets to pick fights with complainers. So he's not even top 20.

Silvestri is a pretty good looking dude

Hard to say, I mean Lee and Silvestri are the closest to house style of the bunch, Todd was more about drawing cool things than telling stories, and Larsen was stylized in the direction of Kirby.

So I guess Todd since his comics were kind of a mess even if they are pretty to look at? But people love Spider-Man and Spawn is an icon of the era

I know a guy who was a genuine enthusiastic fan of Liefeld's even as it was fashionable to shit on him, and then somehow he ended up on Rob's bad side and got verbally attacked and shunned by him. It was pretty ridiculous. I don't know if insecurity caused that or contributed to it, but he sure looked insecure.

Some user mentioned how almost everybody who worked with Liefeld seems to hate him.

I unironically liked Bad Blood. It read like a love letter to the 90's and Liefeld made fun of himself and his tropes a lot

This is tough because what happened with Rob Liefeld was that to the people who wanted to complain about Image's actions or the Image style, he was seen as the poster boy for all the problems--He was really young (youngest of the Image founders in fact), his art had the most errors compared to the other founders' (and the founders' art wasn't perfect either); his books were late, he pumped out a lot of books, he got into arguments with some other creators, and stuff like that.

The closest might be Todd, because back at Marvel he along with Liefeld were seen as the troublemakers while Jim Lee was seen as the Golden Boy. But Todd generally managed to put Spawn out on time at least for the first year or two, and mainly focused on just Spawn (the miniseries like Violator and the like came out about two years later as opposed to during the first year). And he eventually built up a successful toy company that ended up changing the game for other action figure producers. Jim Lee and Marc Silvestri also pumped out a lot of books from their studios the first year or second but they usually try to avoid getting in public feuds with other creators. Erik Larsen got into some feuds but he also focused his time primarily into Savage Dragon (with a few spinoffs during year two of Image) and has better coherent storytelling skills than the other guys. Jim Valentino pushed a lot of gimmicks in the first two or three Shadowhawk miniseries but I'd think he's the second best coherent storyteller of the Image founders, after Larsen.

honestly its macfarlane toys that makes me not inclined to shit on todd because 1) theres no denying his designs are sick and 2) he established such a major and successful business that produces nothing but quality products with a few flops that its hard to argue for him being an industry joke

Definitely Jim Lee. Spatula feet and egregious hatching are ripe for ridicule.

that would suck. believing in a guy then getting your image of him shattered.
man his feet was the style to copy back then in grade school.

Was it written by him tho? Cause I see that one comics alliance guy's name on the cover who worked on X-Men 92

I think he scripted/plotted it while Sims helped with dialogue

'm totally an enthusiastic fan of Rob Liefeld. He's not the best writer or artist but he's genuinely passionate about what he does and I really appreciate that. He writes comic book action movies and I'm about OTT sex and violence. I don't know how old y'all are but when he came on to New Mutants and the other guys took over their books I dunno man, he changed the game playa. Like I know it's a meme now butI don't think he gets enough credit for changing the tone of comics in the 90's.

Superhero comics most important artists ever
Kirby -> Adams -> Liefeld -> Hitch

what a world we live in
I genuinely love them all

>This guy's art is trash, and his writing style is so far over the top that it hurts to read, but in old interviews he's so fucking psyched about comics that I can't help but feel bad for the guy. He's like a giant kid who loved what he was doing but had no clue how to do it.
This.
Only not quite.
See, the thing is, for all his faults, Rob Liefeld's biggest strength was he knew exactly what to put on a page that would be the hypest shit a 12 year old boy ever seen. He had so much fucking YAY for his craft that it was genuinely contagious.
You were fucking excited for every single issue of New Mutants he was putting out. He had the kind of hype behind his comics that was nearly unmatched.
(Lee and Silvestri were up there, but neither of them could sell you a pair of Levi's button down jeans like Liefeld.)
youtube.com/watch?v=54_ZPy8feyA

Rob was like, 16 years old working for one of Marvel's biggest titles. He was living the dream and an entire generation of comic fans wanted to be him.

Then they all learned how to draw feet and realized Rob's art actually sucks. Didn't help that Rob allegedly coke'd up his milllions being Image Comic's head honcho and fucked off on all his titles after like, 3 issues at best...

And then the comics crash happened... and the comics industry really hasn't been quite as hype since. (No matter how hard Wizard tried to sell us on Gen 13 and Lady Death.)

Liefeld new how to make exciting comics that a teenager can enjoy. He wasn't a bitter burned out radical with an extreme political agenda to push via edgy stories and he wasn't putting out fap fodder for violent sociopaths like other edgy 90's and 00's creators after him. He's definitely not one of the 40 year old tools at Marvel putting out "Hey Kids, Shocking Skateboard Spider GoGurt Slinger Teen is super cool and your new favorite superhero!"

As for Rob's insecurities, blame Stan.
youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Fuck, that's super interesting.

Yeah no shit, people are fucking harsh on the dude and nowadays he probably gets so many assholes coming up to him at cons for ironic reasons and asking him stupid questions about things like that one Captain America drawing while thinking they're funny that he has no other option than to be defensive. Even normies have learned about his art.

Why do some people feel the constant need to point this shit out? Is the lanklet meme true? Who hurt you, user?

Also I think he's a cute

Yeah I bought the X-Force omni because, fuck it I like Rob's enthusiasm.
And we were excited as fuck for that shot back in the day.
The image guys were the last ones to successfully sell comics to kids.
For all their acclaim even the brits have never done that.

I'd be pissed off if I created Deadpool and all I got for it was a pat on the head .

You folks get it.

Liefeld is a genuinely enthusiastic and creative artist. For that alone, I can look beyond his artistic flaws. He genuinely loved the medium and tried to show it in everything he worked on.
I can't hate the guy who managed to go pro in comics fresh out of high school, and created enduring characters that to this day still sell gangbusters.