/pfg/ Proud Family General

Because I just watched it all and it wasn't that bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6os3OT655E8
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

proud family is just one of the rare occasions that a black animator gets to do what he wants, it's a fucking good show

i just came home from work and was about to make the same thread

The Proud Family movie was fucking weird.

It did a pretty decent job, at balancing them, honestly. The wacky stuff was never really considered game changing of a fixture in their lives, if that makes sense. It was a normal family that some weird things happened to every now and then.

Yeah the whole George Washington Carver thing came waaay from left field.

Yeah the show would get really weird and supernatural sometimes and you just kind of dealt with it. Like that episode where Michael became a monster. Also you ever notice they lived in a town called Wizardville?

>papi had green hair pale skin and wore purple
Holy shit they were referencing the joker weren't they?

The Al Roker eps were always a trip.

Sometimes the writers wanted to have some fun, hence the episodes with Al Roker, Sista Spice and the holiday episodes.

Overall, it was better than a lot of shows at the time and there are way worse shows. That said, LaCienaga and Suga Mama were some of the shittier characters on a bad day. It showed every branch of the black community from the normal blacks to the ghetto blacks (Dijonay's family) and even the bourgie blacks and thug types (Gross Sisters). It'd never make it past the first season today, even with a black creator and writers at the helm.

>are you trying to create a show about a girl living a relatable life, or are you trying to make a show about a girl living in wacky surreal shenanigans?
haha, what's wrong with both? the show just works like this one where Penny goes to work with her mom and can hear a Tiger's thoughts or the Kwanzaa one where they meet a homeless family who just magically disappears into the sky at the end of the episode

also Bobby Proud, that motherfucker doesn't do shit and Suga Mama shows him more affection than Oscar. This nigga could eat his entire house and Suga Mama won't even get mad at him, she'll get mad at Oscar for not having more houses to feed Bobby

oh you didn't have to delete your post friend, we weren't mad at you or anything

you're actually driving the discussion, the thread will likely just careen into us talking about how bad we wanna fug Penny

Aww man you guys are bringing back my buried memories. Remember that time a pterodactyl carried off Oscar and Felix . Also why the fuck was Al Rocker making a club specifically for teens? I smell Chris Hanson.

>why the fuck was Al Roker making a club specifically for teens?
so he could make them feel miserable, Roker loved showing up and giving people horrendous monkey paw wishes

To be fair, teen can mean 17-19. They even had an episode where some teens in that range were trying to get in the girls' panties, the same episode where they wore those black dresses.

Al Roker was just an asshole; the Powers That Be gave him his powers specifically to make people happy and he did the monkey's paw trickery of his own accord to make people appreciate their normal lives more. That's why he had to fix Bebe and Cece after Penny was so unhappy.

oh my god i wish a drawfag would come and draw Penny

Penny is cute that's all i'm gonna contribute good luck with your thread OP

>Loved this as a kid
>Found it boring as fuck as an adult

Don't know why

Was there ever a theory that Oscar was Papa Proud's adultery baby?

>tfw lost my virginity to a Dijonay

Felt good man.

This character always made me feel weird as a kid, something about her design and voice. Especially her lips, there's something off about them and I don't know what.

D I C K
S U C K I N G
L I P S

>Adultery baby
How? Suga Mama gave birth to him.

That Australian studio they sent some of the episodes to honestly deserved to animate the entire show. Korean couldn't keep up half of the time in their episodes, they lost all of the personality in their drawings but I know this isn't some new concept. Just look at this intro, it's gorgeous.

youtube.com/watch?v=6os3OT655E8

There's a movie???

That sounds like the opposite of a victory.

Weird vertical ponytail, maybe?

At first I thought the rich girl was Mexican. I still do.

>you're actually driving the discussion, the thread will likely just careen into us talking about how bad we wanna fug Penny

Penny would be my age now if she'd been growing naturally since the movie. Just the thought of older Penny hnng-ing as she sweatily... whew...

>older penny
>those piercings
>that eyeliner
>oscar lookin like a sweet potato
FREAK ALERT

>No Suga Mama
P-please user.

SHE'S THE ONE TAKING THE PICTURE!

>So worried I actually went to the source to have it confirmed by the artist.

with that laugh yeah

It's a matter of tonal and narrative consistency - you can have a wacky, off-the-wall, comedy where crazy, nonsensical stuff happens all the time and it works... or you can have a funny, but down-to-earth sitcom where even the occasionally more outlandish stuff fits with the rest of the tone and it works...

... but when you try to do both it's usually a mess, like Family Guy where we're expected to take the death of a main character as a serious, heart-wrenching moment 5 minutes after a wacky action scene where they escape a horde of alternate timeline indians. It's the Loss Effect.

Proud Family suffered from the same problem - some episodes are completely crazy, others are serious and dramatic, and others bounce from one to the other over the course of 20 minutes. It's hard to take an episode about violence and discrimination against Muslims in post-9/11 America seriously when it's the follow-up to a Dr Doolittle parody where Penny learns she can talk to tigers, and it's hard to enjoy a weird episode with an Al Roker genie when you're still feeling super uncomfortable after the A Very Special Episode About Kwanza with the depressing Little Match Girl homeless family.

OH SHIT! HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THAT!?

WHAT ELSE HAVE I BEEN MISSING!?

Reminder that Suga Mama is absolute shit

you overthink things

do you have an existential crisis whenever you come across a gumball machine? just put a quarter in, you'll get something of questionable quality but at least you'll have a story to share. just think, that could be your proud family episode

Here's the thing: You can only do so many discrimination/racial/etc. episodes before it gets tiring. As I said, the writers had fun when it was appropriate and Penny IS still a kid to an extent.

pretty good thread actually

It's in the same universe as Lilo and Stitch, Kim Possible, and American Dragon.

Peanut People are the least weird thing about this Disney Universe.