Which one ultimately has the better body of work?

Which one ultimately has the better body of work?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Disney.

CN, tho TLA is Nickelodeons...

CN overall. While Nick has a number of standouts (ATLA, Zim, HA!, Spongebob, etc.) it has far more mediocre to bad cartoons in its history bringing it down. While you can argue that the current state of CN isn't great, it has way more good to great cartoons to stand on overall.

CN for the mere fact that they take way more risks (Good and bad) while Nickelodeon seems to always be chasing them until they hit on something and then they plant themselves on it way longer than they should.

Nickelodeon = Quality
CN = Quantity

CN

Nick lucks into good shows and then treats them poorly, CN finds good shows and generally treats them well

>Nickelodeon = Quality

Youre... Youre objectively wrong

>Spongebob
Considered one of the most iconic cartoons of all time.
>Rugrats, Fairly Oddparents
Also long lasting, iconic cartoons. FOP's first several animated movies in particular, and the first Rugrats movie were exceptional.
>Avatar: The Last Airbender
Another primetime Emmy winning cartoon.
>Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold
Above average cartoons that are better than anything CN has ever fielded.

CN has always been the quantity channel. First it was tons of dusty old neigh-unwatchable Hanna-Barbara clones, then when they got their own animation rolling it was hit-miss-miss until they nearly fucked themselves with CN Real, and now all they have is 24/7 Screamball and TTG reruns.

You're just forgetting how many shit shows Nickelodeon's pumped out over the years compared to CN. Yes Nick has a number of standouts but they pale in comparison compared to the ocean of failures. CN's had some misses here and there too but overall its quality far exceeds Nickelodeon's. Also, if you wanna bring live action into this with CN real, do I really have to remind you of how hard Nick shot itself in the foot with that in the late 2000's-early 2010's?

Nickelodeon has the greater body of work, airs quite a bit of it too.

>CN finds good shows and generally treats them well
What parallel universe do you live in? CN hasn't treated it's old properties well for quite some time now, they barely even air their old cartoons even on Boomerang.

CN has treated the shows that made them great like trash. Nick isn't that great either but CN has become terrible.

>You're just forgetting how many shit shows Nickelodeon's pumped out over the years compared to CN
Not nearly as much as CN. Even shows that are "mediocre" by Nickelodeon standards (Catdog, Rocket Power, MLAATR, Korra, or anything Hartman put out after Danny Phantom) are better than most rank-and-file CN cartoons.

You're still leaving out the bottom of the barrel stuff that Nick aired, like The Brothers Flub and Butt Ugly Martians. CN never hit anywhere near that low until very recently. Also Catdog and Rocket Power were pretty fucking shitty man.

>Catdog
>Shitty

Get out.

CN gives there shows good runs and then let's them die Nick either cancels a show way too early or attempts to turn them into the new Simpsons

You are making the mistake of equating iconic with quality. FOP has always been a mediocre cartoon.

Fucking this. It has its moments, most famously Channel Chasers, but even at its peak it was very hit and miss.

the first 3 seasons of Spongebob are the best cartoon to ever exist in our realm, but CN is better overall

I will say that Nick and CN's best are about equal, but Nick's WORST and mediocre are the worse of the two. fucking Fanboy and ChumChum, The Brother's Flub, fucking what they did to Making Fiends and other stuff. Say what you will about Making Fiends if you love it or hate itm but what they did was just wrong.

It's hard to say since they peaked during different decades.

CN. Nickelodeon you'll occasionally get absolutely amazing things that surpass everyone else by a long shot, but usually you just get crap.

Oh, it's that loser who always tries to downplay FOP's impact. Shouldn't you be in those EGS threads trying and failing to get a personal army to raid Hartman's twitter or something?

fuck off, fopfag. everyone knows you're already the board's next shooter

>icon cartoons that were only good for its first 2-3 seasons. Spongebob is only iconic because they sold out and squeezed out as much money as they could with it.
>Ed Edd'n Eddy not being the greatest cartoon with a consistent format and unique animation.

Nice fandom war meme.

The school seasons will never be good

Why do these always forget Invader Zim for Nick?

EEnE was just a run of the mill "everyone treats the main characters like shit" cartoon with just about every generic archetype you're bound to find in other cartoons from that era. It was above average, sure, especially compared to the pure mediocrity that is most of CN's lineup, but if you think its the greatest cartoon ever then you are the definition of a 90s babby millennial.

did anyone actually like Puffy AmiYumi?

Because it's forgettable. Still better than 2/3rd's of CN's lineup though.

>downplay FOP's impact
my post didn't do any of that. don't know how can people equate POF with PPG and Dexters Lab. The writing and animation just aren't on the same level.

then what would your opinion be on the greatest cartoon ever smart ass?

Neither of those cartoons had great animation either, and the writing for all those shows is hit or miss. Dexter's Lab is mostly remembered for its Justice Friends segments, and those pale in comparison to Crimson Chin's universe.

The Simpsons

Man if you think that CN's lineup at the time that EEnE was airing was mediocre your taste is incredibly shit. Courage, Samurai Jack, KND, and Billy and Mandy were all running side by side with it.

>mostly remembered for my ass.

>The Simpsons
>Didn't get good til about 4-5 seasons in
>Just got worse as time went on

kys.

Only two out of those four are good. I'll let you decide for yourself which ones they are.

>Ed Edd'n Eddy not being the greatest cartoon with a consistent format and unique animation.
Too bad CN never airs it. Seriously, they never air any of their old classics anymore, unless their Hanna-Barbera cartoons or Powerpuff Girls or Dexter's laboratory. At least Nick still shows their old classics regularly.

It's bullshit. Boomerang will air Nu-PPG and Teen Titans but you'll hardly ever see Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy or KND and they haven't aired Ed, Edd & Eddy in years.

Meanwhile Nick will have a night, every night to be exact, where they show their old shows and commercials/bumpers.

You were obviously still in diapers when Simpsons was in its prime. Just... stop talking.

It'd better be Courage and Samurai Jack, and if you don't think that KND and Billy and Mandy were at least good you still have shit taste.

This thread is about the overall body of work, not the current way channels are handling their schedules.

>y-your opinion isn't true! s-shut up!!

Just end it, you know you have knives and rope somewhere in your house.

Nick doesnt do that, wtf are you on?

This thread does a lovely job spelling out the difference between Nickelodeon fans, who are typically older, and CN fans, who tend to be born too late to really remember the 90s or even early 00s. Nickelodeon fans are putting forth well structured opinionated posts, while CN fans just make short greentext posts, insults, or aged past prime Sup Forums memes.

If you actually brand yourself as a fan of a certain network rather than just enjoying what shows they put out for their own merits, you're retarded.

>I know my cartoons better then you because I'm more mature.

I'm a fan of both, but in such a thread, there is naturally only two sides to be on. Nobody likes a disgusting neutral.

Oh yeah sure... everyone who supprots Nick in here are well structured.

I'mand I think both have super highs, but Nick's lows are lower overall.

I'm a fan of both too, I just liked what CN had more of then Nick but both were great channels in their prime.

If you actually care about whether or not people on an anonymous imageboard made by a weeb 14 years ago to discuss anime and video games with his friends like you, you're extra retarded.

Funny, because that sentence reads like someone with brain damage wrote it.

None of the shows we are talking about had "great" animation. They were all tv shows, not movies. With that said, you are outing yourself as being ignorant of animation if you can't see how McCracken and Tartakovsky worked within their limitations to constantly produce dynamic shots and sparingly use their animation budgets to great effect. Meanwhile POF has had the same dull plastic stiff look throughout its entire run. And no, PPG and Dexters were not hit and miss their hitting was above average. You are gonna have a harder time finding an episode that was bad than a good one. Prove me wrong though.

The PPG movie was however well animated and the Dexter ego trip movie had a more interesting plot than any POF movie.
>Dexter's Lab is mostly remembered for its Justice Friends segments,

This statement is completely bogus. You can ask /m/, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, /sp, any random board and they will give you different memories of the show. This I can prove with the archives. From omelet du fromage, FEED ME, dexter family go, "I failed you" etc. This memories go beyond Sup Forums btw.

Good look trying to get equally similar reactions from POF. Feel free to try
desuarchive.org/

>This thread is about the overall body of work, not the current way channels are handling their schedules.
I think that how each network is treating their respective works is really important too.

Right now CN had some great classics, some definitely better than Nickelodeon's, but instead of showing them on Boomerang, the guys scheduling the nostalgia channel decide to air recent cartoons and blocks of Tom and Jerry as well as some Scooby Doo. It's really sad that they'll bury most of it for something new.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, it is important. It's bullshit how CN's been handling its stuff recently, like why the fuck are they spamming TTGo on Boomerang too? It's just that this thread is focusing on the quality of the shows themselves and not how poorly the networks are treating them.

What is POF? I don't get this unfunny meme you're trying to force.

>if you can't see how McCracken and Tartakovsky worked within their limitations
Genndy used the same anime references and sound effects like a hundred thousand different times in his cartoons. Honestly, I can't say I remember much about PPG, it just wasn't as enjoyable as Dexter or FOP to me, so I'm not going to try and argue about it.

>Good look trying to get equally similar reactions from POF.
Dinkleberg, Doug Dimmadome, Tell me I'm pretty, the parent's battering ram, Crocker... FOP is probably the most quotable Nicktoon short of Spongebob. I don't really get what you are trying to go by referencing a bunch of random boards.

cartoon network, it's no contest

If you want to argue over current treatment, both are shit
You're either drowned in a wave of TTG on CN or drowned in a wave of spongebob and shitty reality shows on nick

>Above average cartoons that are better than anything CN has ever fielded.
lol no

Nicktoons always got higher ratings so them.

Arguing about this will never get anywhere and will never produce clear answers.

I speak the truth.

Despite the state CN is in now, it undeniably is the better channel. You wouldn't see something like the effort it took to make things like Toonami, [as] and even basic stuff like going all in for the immersion for Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and CN City on Nick. And even if they did, it was always accompanied with live-action shit.

CN is on a downward trend but it's always gone through ups and downs. Nick is just straight up down. People call AT a zombie show, but it's nowhere near as bad as Spongebob and FOP

Nicktoons got the better ratings because, for most of the US, Nickelodeon was basic cable package and CN was part of a more expensive cable package. This meant that more poorfags could watch nicktoons than Cntoons

>What is POF?
Sorry, FOP is so forgettable I seem to forget its name.

So I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't watch Dexter in years because there was more to that show than anime references and sound effects. Genndy used different types of techniques ranging from still painting to portray dread, to still backgrounds holding a shot and having rotating characters. Its usage of shadows to show fear and wide angle world views. Overall the entire show was far better directed, it had better frame compositions. Oh and the show had squash and stretches with smears from time to time. Don't think I have ever seen a singe one of this from POF. I am sure they exists but hell if I ever saw them.

All of the above applies to PPG too.

>I don't really get what you are trying to go by referencing a bunch of random boards.
I am bringing them up to refute your absurd notion that dexters is mostly remembered due to Justice Friends. That claim is dumb, holds no water and only makes you look questionable when you make claims like POF being so darn gosh quotable.

Cartoon Network has the better shows, Nick was only carried by Spongebob.

Nick innovated with their early stuff, but CN had longer lasting quality than Nick's shows did, which fluctuated wildly.

Sure you had some great stuff like Avatar, Hey Arnold, Danny Phantom, and early Spongebob on Nick's side, but you also had garbage like Sanjay and Craig, Mr. Meat, all the rugrats spinoffs, and nu-spongebob.

But CN had Ed Edd n Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Fosters, Billy and Mandy, Dexter's Lab, Flapjack, Chowder, and of course, Samurai Jack. (Which was one of their most risky endeavors.) That isn't to say CN is without sin (CNReal is still fresh in the minds of many, as is Teen Titans Go) but they have had a longer track record of quality than Nick.

Sounds like you're just throwing out a bunch of blanket animation terms to sound like you know about the issue, while flatly denying the other side used any of those techniques, which just isn't true. The Crimson Chin universe for instance used a different comic-book like style than the rest of the show. The switching of animation and style in Channel Chasers was far better than anything attempted in either of those shows. Also, it's important to note that there is more to cartoons than just the way they are animated. Voicing, sounds, music, plot structure, comedic timing. These things differ on an episode to episode basis and its impossible to compare them on a show to show average.

The argument you're making seems to be going nowhere. You're insisting upon that FOP is forgettable, when it remained one of the most watched cartoons throughout the 00s, and spawned a slew of art style clones on CN that never even came close to its level. You're living in some sort of weird bubble where you try to deny a show's success simply because you didn't like it and thought less popular cartoons from the same era were better.

Johnny Bravo for instance completely eclipsed Dexter's Lab. Genndy wasn't always an overrated hack, and MacFarlane/Hartman weren't always overhated hacks.

>and spawned a slew of art style clones on CN that never even came close to its level.
You fucking wot. What show on CN was at any point attempting to emulate the style of FOP?

That show with the blue and pink bunnies, can't remember its name. Billy and Mandy bit its style pretty hard too.

Was that even a CN show? I cant recall it's name let alone where it aired

>Billy and Mandy
Nah not even close

Yin Yang Yo didn't air on CN and the creator was a former storyboard artist on FOP/DP so that's expected, while Billy and Mandy has a passing resemblance at best. Even then that's hardly a "slew".

Now that I think of it, Yin Yang Yo was a Disney cartoon or a CN? I can't remember it. That one should get a pass since it was from Bob Boyle.

Billy and Mandy bit it hard. Bold lines, stupid main kid, supernatural plot devicer, nerdy black friend, evil female tormentor voiced by Grey.

It depends on whether we're purely talking about cartoon originals, or any and all programming that's shown on the channel.

Originals on vanilla CN vs Nick originals are relatively equal, Nick might even be a little better. If CN gets to take credit for [as] and early anime licensing though, Nick just gets completely blown out of the water.

Nick wins, mostly because of Avatar and classic Spongebob. I would say that CN has a better average though.

Cartoon Network.

Nickelodeon has stuff like Danny Phantom, Hey Arnold, Fairly Odd Parents and Teenage Robot, but there's way too many classic shows on CN, and new shows that are also really good.

>Sounds like you're just throwing out a bunch of blanket animation terms to sound like you know about the issue,

Every single thing I said specially related to one of the pictures none were blanket statements. And actually pretty sure I am using the wrong terms to describe some of the animation techniques they used but the idea is the same. I am not denying FOP has its moment, like I said "I am sure they exists but hell if I ever saw them." The vast majority of FOP episodes have this wooden stiff look. Pic related, compare the pilot art to the average episode. POF has the same problem that sponge bob and another user brought up. CN kills their shows after a while, Nick churns them out like a machine. Old Simpsons vs new Simpsons animation for another example.

>Also, it's important to note that there is more to cartoons than just the way they are animated. Voicing, sounds, music, plot structure, comedic timing. These things differ on an episode to episode basis and its impossible to compare them on a show to show average.

We sure as fuck can or else this entire thread an some user brinign up emmys as an example are meaningless. On an episode to episode basis PPG and Dexter both have been better written, had better comedic timing and animated than POF.

>You're insisting upon that FOP is forgettable
That has never been my claim, my claim has been that PPG and Dexter are better shows in every regard and that POF is a mediocre animated and written show. Which I have been proving with actual examples.

>Johnny Bravo for instance completely eclipsed Dexter's Lab.
Nope, a false statement like the one about the Justice Friends. You are making the claim I sure hope you can back it up.

Comparing Grim Adventures to FOP is just wrong they are such different shows

The spirit of their comedy is totally different, the similarities you point out are extremely superficial and broad

>has always been the quantity channel

>Disregard the fact that The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy won an Annie and 2 Emmy awards
>Disregard the fact that Regular Show has been nominated for 2 Annie and 4 Emmy awards, winning 1 Emmy
>Disregard the fact that Courage the Cowardly Dog won an Annie award and a Golden Reel award
>Disregard the fact that Johnny Bravo was nominated for 4 Annie awards
>Disregard the fact that Cow and Chicken was nominated for 2 Emmy awards
>Disregard the fact that Dexters Lab was a critical juggernaut

Yea, you have no idea what you're talking about.

>Dexter's Lab
>not stiff
You ought to take off some of those nostalgia goggles. If we're going to bring up "Old vs New", compare the seasons of Dexter's Lab before and after the movie.

And you just posted a bunch of pictures from the same running gag in the same episode. There are episodes with standout animation in FOP too, like Action Packed.

>We sure as fuck can or else this entire thread an some user brinign up emmys as an example are meaningless. On an episode to episode basis PPG and Dexter both have been better written, had better comedic timing and animated than POF.
The thread will just be 500 posts of a back and forth insisting that one opinion of a show is right and one is wrong, especially since you keep changing the subject from your original claim that FOP was mediocre, when it obviously wasn't or it would've fizzled out like the rest of the late 90s/early 00's works from both channels.

>That has never been my claim
>Sorry, FOP is so forgettable I seem to forget its name.

>Nope, a false statement like the one about the Justice Friends. You are making the claim I sure hope you can back it up.
I always got the impression this board liked Johnny Bravo more than Dexter's Lab, and growing up watching those shows at that time, what people felt of them in real life too. Good luck finding "proof" of it, the closest thing might be ratings information from that era, and I'm not going to dig through fossils for that. Honestly, you're demanding proof of this sort of shit while insisting on a show that at times broke 10 million viewers isn't iconic, so quite frankly my dear, I don't feel like I need to prove shit to you.

Nickelodeon has early Spongebob. Early ren and stimpy and invaders zim are also good but to a much lesser extent. The rest of Nick's programming sucked.
Cartoon Network has nothing of value.

Second best, King of the Hill, at least before the last few seasons, was the best cartoon ever.

Autism

You forgot your phone format filename reaction image

I have never seen a show more boring and unwatchable than courage the cowardly dog. Ed edd and eddy was almost as bad.

Ren and Stimpy is one of those shows that I want to like because there's effort put forth in the animation, but it's just not that entertaining.

Name one show on CN that was as good as early Spongebob.

Early Spongebob is grossly overrated. Not saying CN is better either, but putting it in the same conversation as something like Simpsons is something a millennial would do. It was a slight upgrade from Rocko's Modern Life at best.

I'd have actually taken this bait if you simply said those were the most disappointing or overrated shows you've ever seen instead worst, but ya goofed

What's even on Nick currently? The only show I hear about is The Loud House.

>The Loud House
Which is currently funnier and better stylized than anything airing on CN right now.

Spongebob's gotten better again but it's not quite up to golden age snuff. Outside of that they have TMNT and Bunsen is a Beast, but Loud House and Spongebob are clearly their juggernauts.

Seasons 2 was the best season of the simpsons you underage faggot.

>TLH
>funny
Pick one

well good to know your standards of quality are so impossibly high that you fucking suck as a person.

Good Nick:
Kablam (especially Action League Now)
Angry Beavers
Spongebob (though it suffers due to post movie, but that HAS been getting better)
Hey Arnold
Danny Phantom
Jimmy Neutron (fucking Hugh)
Invader Zim
Rugrats was the powerhouse before Spongebob
MLAATR
Avatar was and still is a fantastic cartoon
Ren and Stimpy
early FOP
Rocko's Modern Life
Loud House
Harvey Beaks

CN:
Dexter's Lab
PPG
Johnny Bravo
Samurai Jack
EEnE
Courage
KND
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Fosters
Steven Universe
Flapjack
Chowder

everything here was at least good imo.

theres probably more on both but I cant remember right now.

Gumball is already a better show than The Loud House. Try again.

EEnE

Confirmed for having never watched it.
>screaming, dumb dad/competent mom archetypes, video game and anime references
>funny anymore

omg I cant believe I forgot Gumball and Clarence

>implying that's the point of these threads

And where's Regular Show?