Yale Stewart is a bitch

>WAAAAH Someone is using my art outside of its original intended purpose. Pay attention to me!

>Picture of mourning Batman
>"Don't use it for mourning Batman!!"

Ehh, stealing art is a legit complaint. However, unless they're making money off it there's no real harm done. They SHOULD still direct people to the original artist, but an edit is not that big of a deal.

Conclusion: He should chill out but he's not being a big enough of an asshole to make a thread about it unless he has a history of making a big deal about this stuff.

Wow, it's actually real.

He has attributed a very specific and strong emotion into a piece of his art, so I get where he's coming from, because when he sees it he feels what he attributed on the original usage. But he can't possibly expect people to have the same feelings and perceptions.

He doesn't even own the character.

>Every fucking time there’s some big tragedy, this dude makes a wallpaper to benefit (insert charity) and it just looks like a shameless ploy at self promotion.

>Instead of making a cutesy little wallpaper of DC heroes you don’t own, supporting media entities that already ignore brown people, that have news companies that spin a narrative that blames the victims of police brutality and not the aggressors, why don’t you just shutup and privately donate as much as you want to ACLU, whenever you want, and not just when #ferguson is all over twitter.

>Putting two images of SPACE COPS as your “SUPPORT FERGUSON” wallpaper, and offering it for a DOLLAR, is fucking gross. And I hate that we can’t distinguish between support and capitalism.

>You know the only reason the dollar is going to the ACLU, is because the product he’s selling isn’t a wallpaper, it’s himself.

I suppose the fact that he's using someone else's characters for his art in the first place has completely flown over his head.

I once gave him 20 bucks to sketch Wonder Loli so eh.

Guy makes his entire career on plagiarism.

steals characters for his own use. Complains when his stolen art is stolen by others.

ok.

>Waaah don't use these characters I didn't create!

I think he just has a history of sending dick pics.

I'm not reading all this

Okay, I guess I can see that, kind of. At least this gives me an idea of how he feels and why.

But, posting about it? Did he learn nothing from the DICK PICS incident?

OK, Ulises.

kek, exactly what came to mind.

Honestly, most people don't care about artists at all, and just want to use their work for whatever agenda they can think of. In this case, I don't see it as THAT big a deal, though I do see the difference between a mass murder and the death of Adam West, who got to live a long, full, natural life. Even OP doesn't give a fuck about artist's intent though, because people see artists as tools to used.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. He raises money and gives it to the ACLU, yes or no? How the fuck is an artist supposed to gather money to donate, besides ART, the thing they professionally work on.

>Makes money out of characters that aren't his
>Complains that people are stealing it
This doesn't make any sense, that can't be how it happened

>steals DC characters
>cries when someone steals his shitty art
What a fucking hack

Does Sup Forums worship copyright holders? If he's putting out stuff for personal profit, I see the problem, but if he's just making tribute pictures for different things, these characters are part of our culture. I guess you're trying to say he should make his own characters, but everyone knows that wouldn't have nearly the emotional impact. It would be closer to Sonichu crying over a mass murder.

Shit, next you guys will tell me you think companies should own the copyright on a character forever, with no limits.

>Steals DC characters

He literally works for DC.

>source: my ass

> no real harm done

misrepresenting an artists work seems pretty harmful to that artist's reputation.

The jews are showing their noses.

>WAAAAAAAHHH!! Somebody is criticizing me for stealing somebody else's hard work to use for my own purposes!!! Pay attention to me instead!!!!!

Sup Forums throws a hissy fit whenever an artist has an opinion about anything. They become "hacks" in the blink of an eye.

Case in point.

>How the fuck is an artist supposed to gather money to donate, besides ART, the thing they professionally work on.

I think what they're saying is that the artist would never care about the cause in the first place if they hadn't found a way to capitalize on it. Which supposedly they're doing by latching on to the story for free advertising, getting their name out to new people through it. Which in some cases is possible to be the true motive behind the actions, but it's usually really hard to tell the artist's true intent- whether they genuinely have their heart in the right place and are doing it from a real attachment to the cause or if they have other incentives.

Man, you guys are going to be real upset when you learn Finger has been dead for years and literally hundreds of people were paid to steal his characters.

But why? Why does OP even care? OP is basically saying he supports an artist's work being edited for ANY agenda. I get that Adam West was great, but he did live a full life, so it is a very different intent.

So a lot of people just assume his intent as the worst possible motive they can think of?

I feel like now isnt the right time to voice that complaint given West literally just died, but I can see why they'd be upset though, given its intended purpose. My response is that the art probably never should have been put online, and instead have been left as a piece at the site where the mass murder happened, like a candle or flower would, if he didn't want people online to share and do with it what they will.

But that artist used a character that doesn't belongs to him to supports his own agenda.
He doesn't have the right to cry about it.

>OP is basically saying he supports an artist's work being edited for ANY agenda
The agenda is irrelevant; it's a picture of a Sad Batman of course it's going to be used whenever something sad and Batman related happens.

>if he's just making tribute pictures for different things

They're from his fanfic webcomic. I don't think he makes a lot of money from it, but its popularity and success has gotten him noticed by publishers and let him pick up some gigs. He's technically not profiting, but he has benefited from it in the past. Whether you think that's right or wrong is up to you, though. I don't see much harm in it, principally. But I also think he's hypocritical for bitching like this and deserves some calling out.

>next you guys will tell me you think companies should own the copyright on a character forever, with no limits.

I see you've never been to a "Disney vs copyright law" thread on here before. That absolutely does seem to be some anons' opinions around here.

>90% of the posters in the thread have 0 reading comprehension

He's not mad that they stole his art. He's mad that the stolen art was grieving a national tragedy and appropriated for a celebrity death.

>I see you've never been to a "Disney vs copyright law" thread on here before. That absolutely does seem to be some anons' opinions around here.
Well, those anons can just go straight to Hell.

Yeah, Batman's not his character, but the original creator is long dead. It IS his artwork. We all know there is nothing he can actually do to stop people from using his work for whatever they want, but he doesn't have the right to be bothered by it at all? Or does he not have the right to voice his opinion? It all seems really hypocritical, when I'm pretty sure all of us have bitched and moaned about how these characters are handled in various books by various writers. These aren't OUR characters, but we are allowed to voice our opinion about their use, correct?

Wasn't that piece one of the ones he was selling to people?

this, can you people not read?

Boo

Fucking

Hoo

The edit makes more sense than what he initially put out there. Being a shameless piece of shit is also a big no no in the industry.

>Or does he not have the right to voice his opinion?
Voicing an opinion is fine, it's the moral grandstanding I object to.

You're saying that like people are using the picture to mourn adolf hitler, which they're not

How could this in any way negatively affect his reputation

Yeah, then some dumb whore could have snapped a picture of it on location and he would have gotten even more virtue signaling points.

But I guess that would require some actual effort.

>So a lot of people just assume his intent as the worst possible motive they can think of?

I can see why people mistrust him. If it had just been an aurora tribute, that would be one thing. He has a seemingly personal connection to DC characters, so it makes sense. But there was a time when he made a thing for every national tragedy that came up, and he just didn't seem to have the same personal connections to them. It could just be his way of dealing with tragedy, or he could just genuinely care about these various big news stories. But it did seem less genuine after the third time.

Having reasons for your hypocrisy doesn't make it any less hypocritical.

>We all know there is nothing he can actually do to stop people from using his work for whatever they want, but he doesn't have the right to be bothered by it at all? Or does he not have the right to voice his opinion?
He does, but we also have a right to tell him he's being a little faggot. In the art industry pirating wokrs or retooling them to fit your own is a great way to get yourself black balled. However someone modifying your image slightly to pay homage to something that makes more sense than the thing you initially drew it for is completely different.

It's not even like it's super offensive as an edit where such a thing might be merited, he's crying because he's a little dickless faggot.

are you two stupid?
he mad his IP/art is being used inappropriately, by his opinion. Which is exactly why its hilarious. His art/IP is stolen IP being used inappropriately. you think any of the DC creators are ok with THEIR characters being used by him for whatever HIS message is?

If he can steal others creations and use them to promote HIS narratives. Others can steal HIS and use it for whatever message THEY want.

This. There's no fucking reason what so ever to have any objection to the way his art is being used. There are artists who have their shit appropriated by nazis and SJWs every day for their abhorrent agendas and most of them just suck it up and move on.

I could totally understand if it was some expensive masterpiece but thats a fuckin sketch of chibi batman shut your hole.

He did. He wrote and drew a bunch of Superman books for kindergarten kids that was published. The guy also did an issue of Nova for Marvel and a few other stuffs. DC is completely aware of who he is and really doesn't care about what he does with his comic or his posters. It's actually surprising they didn't publicly endorse him, yet. The worst trouble he had with copyrights was a few years ago when he had to change the name from Little League to JL8 after a complaint by the Little League Baseball.

>he had to change the name from Little League to JL8 after a complaint by the Little League Baseball.
Oh god, that makes this so much funnier.

OP could be accused of the exact same grandstanding. And don't pretend being user makes him immune to that, we all know how pathetic people can be.

Let's actually look at what OP is saying:
>Anyone has the right to use any artist's work to push any agenda they want
Okay, considering where we are, that makes sense...
>And artist has no right to state their opinion about edits or unintended use of their work
That's... retarded. It just feels like OP is being a baby and offended that an artist has a problem with people changing the intent of his work.

I can't say because I honestly don't know much about the guy. But until he does something to make me think it's all for personal glory, I like to think people who do tribute images are sincere. When a musician sings a song in tribute for people who died, no one thinks it's odd at all. So why should an artist using their skill to do the same thing be looked at differently? It's an odd double standard.

Also, I see a lot of "not his characters" but, regardless, it IS his art. So what about artists who draw sketches at cons? Should they not be allowed to draw Wolverine or Superman?

He was selling it and giving the entirety of money he made towards charity. Yale did that a few times with a bunch of tragedies.

I understand any cynics when they suspect things like the artist keeping the money for himself or whatever. But I've been following him enough to sincerely believes the guy is legitimate in his endeavours.

Adam West dying isn't the same as a bunch of innocent people getting killed but mourning Batman is at least as relevant, and people being upset about West's death is perfectly understandable.

Think about the target audience of his post. He's basically complaining loudly about nothing to people who are mourning. It's ridiculous.

are you mentally impaired, serious question

He probably sees a wall of greentext as a waste of time, like most people.

Fuck this guy.

I say people use mourning batman for everything now. Because fuck him.

>OP could be accused of the exact same grandstanding.
How?
>Anyone has the right to use any artist's work to push any agenda they want
OP isn't saying that at all.
>And artist has no right to state their opinion about edits or unintended use of their work
OP isn't saying that either. You're reading a whole lot into a single passive aggressive comment about a guy who's complaining of art theft.

>four sentences
>all this
You have to be 18 years old to post here.

Yeah, I remember his original facebook post when he had to explain the name change. It wasn't a big deal and mentioned as well that DC has never bothered him with his work and they let him do his thing.

No, user, haven't you read the thread? Using DC's intellectual properties in any way is WRONG!

>four sentences long
>a wall

I do believe the part where the proceeds went to charity. But, this was still a product that he sold, regardless of where the money went. It wasn't a tribute he posted just for his own peace of mind and for the victims, he promoted it and distributed it. And now somebody that may or may not have bought it cropped it and reposted it, and he's whining and saying that that's wrong.

>Doing remembrance/tragedy artwork.

Why is this a thing? I can understand doing a painting or something, but drawing pictures of comic/cartoon characters crying over shit is always awful.

Somebody give me that Doom page. You know the one.

I need edits of mourning Batman inserted into everything.

>it's an "op doesn't like a situation for a reason that they can't find any real reason or explanation for so he just puts 'muh' or 'wah' in front of an over simplified restating of the situation" episode
>on the next episode: three suspiciously similar ips reply to my comment accusing me of being Yale even though all I'm doing is pointing out that this thread is as dumb as pointing out what year it is or just straight up telling someone to "deal with" your opinions as fact

Who gives a shit about this pedantic nonsense.

Putting shit on the internet is practically asking for somebody to take it.

Nah, using DC's intellectual property is ok.
That "artist" is just being a whiny faggot for no reason.

>Does Sup Forums worship copyright holders
it's funny because this is a very conservative thing to do and yet Sup Forums is supposed to be one of the most liberal boards

>artist rages impotently at misuse of his work

Yale plz

>I do believe the part where the proceeds went to charity. But, this was still a product that he sold, regardless of where the money went.
What? How is raising money for CHARITY not different than for personal profit? Shit, this faggot goes on and on about how he shouldn't draw anything and just "privately donate as much as you want", but that's idiotic. He's AN ARTIST. He makes his own money, and raises awareness, WITH ART. If it gets any money into the charity, he's basically doing charity work. I know it's not the most detailed batman pic ever, but art is WORK. I don't see how people who talk about comics (most of whom, I know for a fact have never MADE a comic) forget that simple fact. He did that specific work for a specific tragedy, so most people get why he's bothered by an edit. I think the real think is that most people (whether they admit it or not) care as much, if not more, about the death of Adam West (who lived a long, happy, natural life) than they do the murders of people they don't know. So they want to make excuses for it, I get that.

I just don't get why people can't draw their own mourning Batman? Art's EASY right? Only a faggot can't draw their own mourning Batman.

Template when?

But Sup Forums loves that because that's an OFFICIAL MARVEL PRODUCT, and not some horrible artist who doesn't respect the company's legal claim to the intellectual property that is Dr. Doom.

what n asshole, if people mourning something use your art, you shut up and dont say a thing. You dont have to make a declaration as if that would prevent fans from mourning using your art. Why is he trying to police what people use his "batman sad" cartoon for? let those people mourn in peace you shitbag

what does Batman have to do with Colorado

>"artist"
Draw Batman right now, and take a timestamp photograph of it. You'll be graded.

are you literally twelve? that has been brought up thousands of times as one of the most ridiculous examples of bad use of characters mourning.
It has become a running joke, its widely REVILED as being a shitty thing to do and this page is saved as an example on doing it wrongly.

Whats wrong with you that you can claim people like it?Did your parents analfuck you too hard or something?

There's usually a bitch fit before moving on after they see the futility of complaining.

It wouldn't if they attributed it properly. "Original art by Stewart, edited by wheover the fuck"

>What? How is raising money for CHARITY not different than for personal profit?
Because he's still building a customer base. He's piggybacking onto a tragedy and using it to pull in customers. People like yourself who think he's a good and genuine guy trying to help out will stick around and continue to support him. Making a tribute picture is cool, selling it, even if the proceeds are for charity, is not.

I think it was the shooting happened at the premiere of a Batman movie?

12 people murdered, 50 injured, when a shooter shot up a showing of Dark Knight Rises. I guess it's a good thing someone drew a cartoon about it, or you'd have never known it even happened, user. Despite it being covered by every news outlet in the nation, and talked about quite a bit online. It happened in 2012 though... so how old are you?

Lets see, it should be posted on top of
>9/11
>the hindenburg
>the titanic
>princess diana's death
>hiroshima
>a dropped ice cream cone
>old yeller's death
>JFK's assassination

Any other ideas?

Why didn't you show up when DC made that book about the mass shooting in that gay bar?

Are you literally too autistic to pick up on sarcasm that obvious?

>tfw I will never be as autistic as that guy

>trying to force a meme
>too lazy to do the photoshopping himself
This is why we can't have nice things.

Are you underage?

>stop having fun!

See

I'm worried mods will delete the thread before I post images. Also I think it's a funny idea but I only have ms paint and I'm especially shit at making images.

Andrew Blaze

If all he cares about is the free advertising, why is he bothered by what event mourning batman is used for? Why wouldn't he LOVE seeing it used for Adam West's death as well?

You're trying to emphasis a point that just rings as untrue to me. You might believe it, but just repeating it at me doesn't change anything.

Celebrity deaths. All of them.

>"I condemn this turn of events in every sense of the word"
Is he a complete retard or does he just not know what it means?
My money is on both.

Well, if you think it's funny and even you don't think it's worth doing, why should anyone else do the work for you? I think only a handful of people in the thread would even consider saving the images, it's not like everyone actually cares about moppy Batman.

Acting like it's Ben Garrison-tier edits. This place is way too infected by tumblr. Fact is, some kid wanted to use a sad pic of Batman to mourn someone related to Batman. People do this kind of stuff all the time, so the original artist needs to grow up and accept that his art will be used for different reasons. He should be glad that it's used positively, instead of Buckley edits.

Guy, if you don't like the idea, you don't have to participate. We're just having a little giggle.

Yeah, personally this just screams of egotism to me.