ECONOMICS

>ECONOMICS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PpoDa8m2WlE
youtube.com/watch?v=A1fUsx0XRsY
youtube.com/watch?v=PoeBAHk8Qm4
youtube.com/watch?v=pJ1ADWvK9TI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tell them about how you killed our baby.

HEY KIDS WANNA LEARN ABOUT ECONOMICS

Why is American Dad so much better than Family Guy? They're both by Seth McFarlane, right?

Will never not be funny.

Dad isn't afraid to make an elaborate reference to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe. Also a lot of its writer used to work on Futurama during its golden years.

This is now a quotes thread

>Why is there a leopard on the Cheetos bag?
>Tell ya boy Jeff he's got two more of these
>I've trapped the mexicans!
>I have a lifetime subscription to Ebony magazine. Checked the wrong box. Not giving it up

This

>I can't just tear up the ticket.
>Yes you can! Paper is weak and you are strong!

>is she not...
>hot enough...
>for you dad?

Recent episodes (I would say from the past 3 or 4 years) are far more hit or miss than episodes from the late 2000s/early 2010s

However I think it works better because even if it is outlandish and unrealistic it is still more "believable" than family guy since when Peter suddenly becomes president of a tuna factory or whatever the fuck it's just wacky nonsense while Stan's hijinks are always grounded in his CIA job. It's less random. Also there has pretty much never been a point when any character has become insufferably right, and the main character who might be considered a "Meg" which is Klaus often is a nazi-commie asshole anyway so he deserves when people shit on him, and when he doesn't deserve it it's part of the gag and he gets his comeuppance anyway.

I always heard that after Family Guy was cancelled all the original writers went to that show and when FG came back it had new writers.

>I am Professor Max Hammer.
>And it's my job to SAVE THE WORLD.

The delivery gets me every time. I've seen it so many times but it always surprises me

Fuck off ceiling commie

My only issue is that in later seasons, Roger would go without getting his comeuppance a lot. Like the show would acknowledge he was a bastard and he would just get away with it.

The two most egregious examples I can think of are him blowing up Stan's restaurant and killing Millionaire Matt Davis.

Does this show have the greatest stable of original songs?

>Krampus
>Daddy's Gone
>Bad Boy
>the one about everyone having a kink
>motherfucking Boyz 12

>Vroom, Vroom.

>We're Red and We're Gay
>Saudi Arabia
>Guns Make Holes In Your Body
>Everything in the Hot Tub episode.

Hot Tub was a great episode

Fuck I forgot all about Hot Tub... fucking Cee Lo Green and shit

>D-d-d-d-d-dip a toe

>Why is American Dad so much better than Family Guy?
Seth has talked about this several times, it's his lack of involvement that lets the staff create their own unique magic

very different from Family Guy, but at the same time sort of hybrid

That's it, Stan's dead. Good night

The thought that that would've been the series finale if they didn't get renewed is a hell of a thing.

But when he blew up Stan's restaurant Stan was going to kick his ass but Roger anticipated it and brought a gun

Bump

Agreed, I'll admit I wouldn't mind it at this point if they killed him off

I'd say that's South Park.

Clever writing and quick wit. AD never holds on a joke too long(this is what original FG was like).
Also much more likeable and funny characters and the lack of cutaway gags means every joke has to involve the characters so the writers are forced to make them funny.

>Sir, I can't have you lying on the floor and making phone calls.

I can't remember any south park songs

If there's one thing MacFarlane can do right, it's musical numbers. Although he's really good, he's only second best when compared to Daniel Ingram.
When's the last time Matt and Trey even wrote an original song? It was definitely present in the early seasons and the movie, but if they've wrote anything recently, it clearly wasn't all that great because I don't remember shit about any of it.

I enjoyed safe space and boogers and cum from 2 seasons ago

American Dad, Family Guy and German Spongebob are the epitome of cartoon music.

Character comedy vs gag comedy.
In AD characters' views and behaviour are very well defined.
In FG they change to fit the joke.

>this whole scene
youtube.com/watch?v=PpoDa8m2WlE

Less reliance on cutaway gags leaves more room for character jokes and seeing as how Roger can basically be any character the plot needs him to be it's allowed them to be oddly flexible with plots while still retaining a small group of reoccurring characters. Roger can't be understated enough really, it's no coincidence the show really started to shine when his personas were introduced.

In a way I take back that American Dad doesn't have cutaway gags too, they just don't actually cut away from the plot so much as weave in non sequiturs and surreal stuff so it feels like the episode isn't coming to a complete halt like Family Guy does. Allows the show to still give those short "what the hell was that" moments without necessarily giving away that they're completely ancilatory to the plot.

the later seasons of american dad have definitely been weaker, I feel like this was most obvious in the best man episode
>fairly standard episode
>random 30 second gag after stan becoming best man of the 'crest man'
>never comes up in the ep again
>episodes have become increasingly lolsorandum

Meant to say "Roger can't be overstated enough".

That was the episode I realized American Dad was past its prime. That exact moment when Crest Man came out was something straight out of Family Guy and it just didn't fit at all. American Dad can still bring the laughs but at this point I can safely recommend anybody watching the show stop at that point. Stans character especially is beginning to wobble dangerously towards total incompetence for the sake of easy laughs. Steve and Roger are pretty much the only thing still holding that show together.

Seth hasn't been showrunner or head writer for any of the shows in over a decade. American Dad was always more Mike Barker's show and he ended up leaving a few seasons ago over creative differences as the TBS move was underway which is why there's such a clear divide between earlier and later seasons.

Cleveland Show was a favor to Mike Henry who immediately realized there's not a lot you can do with a character who remained that undeveloped for so long.

Alex Borstein was really close to getting her own show in the MacFarlane stable but it seems like that fell apart.

Family Guy is a long way from Bryke and/or Swampy and Dan calling most of the shots too. They're a huge part of why those early FG seasons are so well-liked/fondly remembered.

If you want to see what Seth's actual comedy writing is like these days look at the Ted films or A Million Ways to Die in The West. It's similar but very distinct from Family Guy. Way closer to "We still tolerate this and performance and timing carry the best parts" mid-stage Family Guy than "kitchen sink + endless shock humor" late/current stage Family Guy.

I haven't watched an episode since Mike Barker left, and at this point, I'm too afraid with all the negativity thrown around about Season 13+, and Terry being one of my favourite characters

youtube.com/watch?v=A1fUsx0XRsY
some eps are being streamed apparently

>everything past season four taken off Netflix

FOR WHAT PURPOSE

god dammit

I like the reveal that there's at least one of Roger's personas that each family member can't see through.
I wonder who Francine's and Haley's are

The new episodes aren't as good but this bit killed me

This is correct. Based Mike Barker was the heart and soul AD. American Dad was never the same after he left

youtube.com/watch?v=PoeBAHk8Qm4

>Forgetting the best flash back story
youtube.com/watch?v=pJ1ADWvK9TI

I feel genuinely bad for klaus, and enjoyed the episode where he messed with Steve and Roger's minds.