Why does Evan Dorkin hate comic fans so much...

Why does Evan Dorkin hate comic fans so much? I know about the whole "friend of his got death threats from a few fans over a comic" thing, but the way Dorkin seems to think is that any adult who enjoys comics is a pathetic piece of shit who needs to grow up (consider how he portrays fucking every fan in the comic as a loser except for Jerry, who in the end becomes the most normalfag out of all the characters we see).

Seriously, I understand being annoyed but Dorkin takes it to fucking Phil Fish levels with how much he despises the fans of his medium.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/8s56spwog4z9r9f/Night_Screams_for_Mercy.cbr
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You know this hack Dan Vado? Who wrote the JL during the 90s and is responsible for one of the worst JL runs ever? Well, Dorkin is a friend of him; he got so butthurt at fans bashing on Vado that he started this book.

Yep, the fanboy hater is acting like a fanboy.

>Dorkin seems to think is that any adult who enjoys comics is a pathetic piece of shit who needs to grow up
And what's so wrong about it?

>And what's so wrong about being a pathetic piece of shit who needs to grow up?
That those PoS's are too entitled.

Thing is, it can be both really. Yes the artist/writer is butthurt when they made this, but there's some truth in the comic. I guess in the end, the best way to make these type of comics is to mock your target of hate AND yourself.

isn't obvious? because you are a White male

There's a difference between "people who read comics for enjoyment" and "comics fans." The "comic fans" that he portrays are the types whose entire lives revolve around comics. The characters in his comic are just exaggerated versions of these types of people, but he's not wrong in throwing scorn that way.

The former will read a comic, enjoy or not enjoy it, then put it down and move on to something else. Maybe coming back to reread it if they really liked it. The latter will read a comic then go online or to their LCS to rant about minor inconsistencies with a previously published comic and claim that those inconsistencies mean that the comic's creator is a garbage-tier hack that should kill themselves.

>topic absolutely nothing to do with politics of any kind
>"HA BLOO HA BLOO A HOO, DA SJWS DA SJWS! WAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAH!"
If this is falseflagging, it's working. Fuck white dudes and their entitled whining.

Seriously. Shut the fuck up.

kinda ironic, seeing how Dorkin does not really mane kid friendly comics

He hates them because he is one, large parts of Eltingvilke are autobiographical, he shoplifted all the time when he was going and spent his formative years with comic book people, he knows them intimately and he knows that a handful of them are completely garbage people

Describe Sup Forums to a T

He's trying to feel better about his own flaws by convincing himself that he's somehow better than people who are thr same as him.

That's like 50% of posts on Sup Forums, you should recognize it by now.

I've read it's partially autobiographical, but also largely exaggerated, like a caricature. I guess all the things he wrote about it was some observations he made (don't lie, you know people who act like this both IRL and on the internet) mixed with a bleak sense of humor

I am gay, never masturbated to any drawing, sculpture, cartoon or videogame, and I like skimpy sexualized female comic book characters in a campy unrealistic purely aesthetic way.

This place made me develop a low opinion on comic book fans.

If you want better representation, you should try being better first in real life.

Dorkin hates everything and everyone

Someone have download links of this?

Ever read the Northwest Comix Collective? It's a bizarro-Eltingville Club drawn by Dorkin where he expresses his disgust with independent comic artists.

Dorkin only seems to like mainstream capeshit artists, which makes sense because he desperately wants to be one.

>Why does Evan Dorkin hate comic fans so much?

Because he's been around the block, dude. He's been in the comics business and going to conventions for decades.

And when did you pick up your first comic? 2015? You haven't experienced enough shit to form hatred like he has.

You spend more time on Sup Forums then try and tell me he's wrong.

McCloud doesn't hate fans. Spiegelman doesn't hate fans (he hates people equally, but not because of fandom). Crumb doesn't hate fans.

Dorkin's hate of fans is not the norm among comic creators.

>The /tg/ guy is the only one who becomes mildly successful in life.
What did he mean by this ?

Well, considering Sup Forums I'm inclined to believe him.

Dorkin's comics aren't about "fans" they're about the scumbags in the comic book world. If you'd actually read the comics, you'd see how these four creeps antagonize everyone else in their community who they see as beneath them. The "casuals"

He doesn't hate you for reading comics even though he's never met you. He hates the type of guys represented in Eltingville, who are a very real thing.

How stupid are you to not get that? Like, this is a serious question. Just how stupid are you? Please answer.

Hating comics fans is the norm among all sensible people.

i think he implies that since RPGs are a hobby that requires social interaction you come out as sorta well-adjusted from it.

>Complain about every minor issue getting linked back to SJW bitching
>"Fuck white dudes"

Not him, but you're as much of a problem as he is. The best way to deal with inane bitching of any kind is to simply ignore it. The second you reply, you're complicit in the problem.

The fact that you took the time to be racist/misandrist towards white males is just icing on the hypocrisy cake and proves his point.

Thats not even a comics fan, thats kust an autistic retard, most of my free time is taken up by comics but i dont read what i dont like or try to bad mouth someone

>who enjoys comics is a pathetic piece of shit who needs to grow up

The Eltingville kids are a bunch of angry losers who have NOTHING in their lives except their obsessions. If at any point you look at them and think you're being made fun of you have a problem.

Im a straight dude thats never masterbated to comics/cartoons/toys etc and i also like skimpy cheesecake in an aesthetically pleasing kinda way, just seems right sometimes

I'm a straight male, and I like skimpy sexualized male comic book characters in a campy unrealistic purely aesthetic way

I'm not even joking

Okay? Lots of those autistic retards like comics books and consider them fans. You can't deny this.

It's not weird, I know girls who love the whole pinup aesthetic. One of them got to have lunch with Adam Hughes at his home

I dont like this comic.it's too one-note.There's a limited number of jokes you can make with "obsessed nerds sure are obsessed" premise.The Adult Swim have a solid 5 minutes of filler where the characters are doing a trivia quizz

If you feel insulted by this book, that says more about you than Dorkin.

have you met comic fans??

Dorkin's comics were never about attacking comic fandom as a whole, but about the specific autistic scumbags that inhabit it. If you pay attention, you'll notice the four basically shit on everyone they ever meet, meanwhile those casuals get on just fine without them. There's a difference between the comic fan who enjoys comics and the spergs who dedicate every living minute of their lives to getting angry about them or looking down on anyone who doesn't waste their lives obsessing over them.

Ironically, the first time I read them, I was put off by how negative they were. But after spending a few more years on Sup Forums, I realized how accurate they were.

because it's a pretty honest vision of a significant part of the greater fandom community.
the "nerds are all wonderful misunderstood angels" meme is just jackoff fantasy used to avoid trying to self improve.

dude white men lmao

But why are they so shitty?

Because nerds are scum of the earth. You just have to deal with this OP.

A lot of the time the MCs aren't even wrong. The "casuals" are often accurately depicted as being obnoxious attention whores. The guys just handle every little thing in the most shitty vitriolic way possible. Sounds like a pretty accurate depiction of reality to me.

Is it bad that I actually liked Bill in a weird, warped way by the end? The shit he pulled at the end of Eltingville Club #1 and the Firefly stunt in #2 was awesome.

>guy writes comic making fun of the absolute worst fans
>get offended and start sperging out, proving you're the person he's making fun of

>Dorkin seems to think is that any adult who enjoys comics is a pathetic piece of shit who needs to grow up
Well he's more right than wrong if you ask me.

>The latter will read a comic then go online or to their LCS to rant about minor inconsistencies with a previously published comic and claim that those inconsistencies mean that the comic's creator is a garbage-tier hack that should kill themselves.
So basically the kind of people who post on Sup Forums

>Giallo Shots
heh

>insult fans because they dared to speak out against something you write
>throw an autistic hissyfit about how mean and evil fans are

>But after spending a few more years on Sup Forums, I realized how accurate they were.
This. I feel like the people offended by these portrayals are extremely new to the scene and probably to Sup Forums in general, because these barely even seem like exaggerations to me after spending nearly 10 years on Sup Forums.

>dare to speak out
Hilarious how spergs white wash their repulsive behavior like this. Speaking out against what? The hegemonic authoritarian rule of some artist who publishes art that you're not obligated to consume? What a fuckin hero you are, man.

It's not just comics it's any scene. Go to any board on Sup Forums and you'll find a bunch of caustic autists who think they were crowned king of their respective hobbies.

In a way I think that sort of passion is kind of endearing.

>death threats because you don't like something someone wrote

Totally reasonable.

I always thought this comic was written from a place of familiarity. Is the author not a huge fucking loser himself?

There was a time I tried to psychoanalyze such people but now I'm just satisfied as writing them off as mentally defective and not listening to anything they say. All they produce is bile yet they try to act like they're on the same level as people who create for a living.

I mean, I can think of one reason.

>Why does Evan Dorkin hate comic fans so much?

...Have you ever interacted with comics fans? IRL or online?

There's your fucking answer.

Personally, I find most comic book, anime and video game fans to be generally petty people. I think it's partially because their interests began originally as "kids stuff" so they are desperate to prove how serious they are. So they end up going over board and being elitist aggressive and defensive. You get guys like this in film and visual arts but those have been around long enough and gotten enough public respect that the fans tend to be less on edge and more comfortable with themselves and their interests.

Also comics, anime and video games are very industry focused. Indie work is even more obscure in these mediums than it is in others. So your average fan is consumer of mainly mainstream work which means they are used to shit that plays safe, builds on previous ideas instead of introducing new ones and caters to the established interests of it's audience. This leads to a relative stagnancy and a focus on really minor details and "lore" rather than a new territory. It's a consumer base that takes pride in their intricate knowledge of the product and hates to have that challenged by anything new.
Not to mention they very heavy focus on publishing company and brand loyalty in comics and games that isn't nearly as big a deal in film, visual arts or literature.

tl;dr:
>comic, anime and vidya fans tend to be coddled by the companies that make their shit. They are scared of being seen as immature so they obsess over the shit they are being fed so they can wave it in each other's faces latter.

Of course this doesn't apply to all comic fans but it does represent a very visible chunk that unfortunately ends up representing the the whole of the group.

There were also only like 7 installments of it ever spread out over the course of twenty years, it's not like he was putting one of these out every month.

The pilot is also a pretty faithful adaptation of the story it comes from, I agree it's a little fan-wanky but that was kind of the point, to demonstrate how obsessed Bill and Josh are and how their friends are unfazed by all of it.

I think he just dislikes the whole Big Two/Corporate Comic fanboy mentality. I certainly DO NOT think he "despises the fans of his medium", I think maybe he has a problem with people who have such a narrow view of the medium and are actively holding it back (see: the part where they all laugh at the girl who wants a copy of King City: "Alternative comics?! An alternative to what, making money?!").

are there comic adaptations of the classic giallos?

>Is the author not a huge fucking loser himself?
He said some of it was based on how he acted in his teens yes

There's a comic inspired on giallos called Night Screams for Mercy.

mediafire.com/file/8s56spwog4z9r9f/Night_Screams_for_Mercy.cbr

A guy called Stephen Romano is also putting out comic adaptations of Fulci flicks and the like, but I dunno if he's done any of the giallos yet.

I want a Sup Forums version.

Be real easy.

Sup Forums is already Eltingville Club incarnate in image board form. Literally 1 to 1. You could condense entire threads into four avatar characters and the dialogue would not change.

>PC mustard race pirate
>Nostalgia-fagging Nintenyearold
>Cawaodoody X-Bro
>Weebshit loving Sonypony

It's already all right there.

Romano's not doing the Giallo Fulci movies.

Around 1999-2002, he secured the comic rights to the first two Seven Gates of Hell films (City of the Living Dead, Beyond), Zombie, and the unfilmed script for the sequel to the Beyond (Beyond the Beyond).

Of the four planned adaptations, the first three have long been done. Romano published the Beyond around 1999/2000 as a graphic novel, and finished work on Zombie/City of the Living Dead (the later would have been released under the US name). Sadly, he ran out of money and Zombie only got a super duper small print run while only about a dozen copies of Gates of Hell were published.

As such, Beyond goes for about $100-$150 on the secondary market while Zombie went for about $300-500 and Gates of Hell, is so rare you can't find it for sale anywhere.

The current comic release of Zombie is the original Zombie graphic novel, cut up into a mini-series format BTW.

That said, Fulci fans have mixed opinions on them. Fulci fans consider House by the Cemetery the third and final film of the Seven Gates Of Hell trilogy, as did Fulci but Romano refuses to consider it and considers the trilogy instead to be Zombie/COTLD/Beyond.

Romano also gave the vicitms of the Beyond fucked up backstories (pedophilia, incest, child abuse) and seemed to be laying groundwork for a retcon that Katriona McCall's characters from Beyond, COTLD, and House By the Cemetery were long lost triplets that were part of a prophecy involving the seven gates of hell, as far as destined to stop them from being opened

Beyond the Beyond was a script for a sequel to the Beyond written by the star of the film, David Warbeck. His death from cancer killed any chances of it being made, but Fulci had liked the script enough to buy it from him before he became ill with cancer and filming became impossible. Fulci's widow threw it in as part of the rights deal with Romano, adding to the mystique of the script and what it contains.

Death threats are exactly that, threats, and threats alone shouldn't be take seriously, maybe in the 90's would be shockly but at 2017 it something that you should expect to happen, not matter how good or bad you work is

Came here to post this

In the actual collection of the Eltingville comics, he explains that they're all suppose to be caricatures of the worst "That Guys" of nerddom. He made them so people could laugh and go "Oh shit, I know someone like that" and get cathartic relief over seeing them not get away with thier shit.

But in the end, he realized that being as Vile of assholes as the Eltingville Club is par of thr course now, if that something to inspire to in fandoms nowadays, so the joke's no longer funny.

Are any of those comics even online anywhere? I get the feeling they're too obscure for even the scanners to get.

They're the lowest of low hanging fruit. Nobody will ever white knight them or get offended. You can kick them with impunity, tough guy.
I'm so impressed.

Isn't that pot calling the kettle black?

>"A couple months after the first 'Eltingville' book was published I got an extremely passive-aggressive letter from a fan demanding to know where I got off casting fans in such a negative light and exaggerating how fans responded to things they didn't like. The Eltingville boys were always intended to be satirical exaggerations of obsessive fans, but at some point I started to realise that a lot of the people reading my comic were a lot more like the caricatures I made up than I could have ever imagined. I actually got upset, because the people who act like Bill or Josh are not fans, they're freaks who give fans a bad name. I'm generally a nice guy to the people I meet but these assholes who think they have any right to tell comics creators how to write their stories really set me off. You're not an expert, kid, you're just some jack-off who has nothing better to do than to bitch about minute details in comic books. Grow the fuck up."

>Self identified "nicest guy" writes an entire book shitting on people.
>Is suprised by negative strention from these people.

He's a fucking tool with a loose grip.

You're not an expert, kid, you're just some jack-off who has nothing better to do than to bitch about how a comic creator makes fun of the lowest scumbags of comic "fans". Grow the fuck up.

Despite the fact that his main cast isn't on the up and up, I never got the impression that the main thrust of the comic is how comics fans are all losers or something. I think what he's really trying to say is that so many comics fans are tightly wound balls of hate who lack self awareness.

Also of note is that any characters who aren't comics fans also seem to be pathetic assholes, so I think it's just his thing to portray people as rotten.

I doubt that they were ever scanned.

The recent ones are by Eibon Press, and it looks like most of them can still be bought directly from them.

Good luck finding the earlier Xmachina ones, though, especially for anything less than a king's ransom.

That and there's only so many ways you can write them be terrible before it gets stale. Ended on a good note, not as good as the earlier stuff but good enough to be satisfying.

>something to inspire to

TRUTH.

>this hack Dan Vado
I have an indie comic book he wrote in the 80s before he broke into the bigs, I should scan and post it because it's edgelord garbage.

I'm just here to jack off and shitpost. I've been LARPing as a retard on both sides and actually got people to agree with me.

Yeah, I think he ended it in the best possible way. I know he said a few times he regretted ending it in reaction to some other dumb fan thing, but honestly the ending is generally perfect.

Well, it's satire. Satire is usually exaggerated to make its point and usually, for humoristic effect.
I doubt he thinks this is how fans really are, he took some negative traits and took them over the top because that's how satire works.

Nah, he really hates anyone who thinks differently than him

That's not what I get from reading that at all. What I get is that he hates assholes who actually do act as those characters that he meant as exaggerated caricatures.

read milk and cheese, dorkin is known for shitting on everything

If he made fun of the fans who slobbered over his dick maybe but he only makes fun of the ones who don't. Understandable but hypocritical.

>read milk and cheese
I tired, the pop culture jokes are badly dated. The few strips that aren't are pretty good though

> a building full of people who had their eyes gouged out is an Oedipus Complex

Sup Forums has two notable shitposters perfect for the roles.

Cody/Codycoyote64 a Nintendo fanboy with receding hair who accuses those who criticize the company as "Pretendos" and thinks everything a Sony/Anti Nintendo agenda.
Ruggarell a Sony fanboy who consistently tries to start console war shitposting threads. He's black but has a small penis
Alternatively there's pic related to fill in the Sony fanboy category.
People found him out after he posted an image of his ass instead of his usual shitposting image by mistake

This makes no sense at all. He's not even making fun of fans that hate him. He's just picking the worst aspects of fandom and making fun of them, which is how satire work.
He even said that he based some of this on himself when he was younger.

> Eltingville kids depicted as abject scum
> " Why does he hate nerds like me"

I don't know if these threads are bait or complete lack of self awareness, but I love them.

Comic fans aren't as bad these days since barely anyone online talks about western comics.
Name me one comic discussion site as big as Sup Forums

>Comic fans aren't as bad these days

Is this a joke?

Honestly as a Tunisian I can't even call myself a "nerd" or a "gamer". I think it is because I think it's a sub-culture revolving around big marketing and weak personalities.
I liked this comic, and as a guy who was also part of a "clique" of angsty teenagers once I can safely say that the moral of the story is this:
The Eltingville club was not bound by "friendship", but by the need to feel a sense of security and desire for status.
There is virtue in egoism when you seek to master a medium through hard work and passion but expecting recognition for "loving" something "more" than others is the mark of bottom feeders who can only feel exalted when putting down other losers.
Nerd culture is a con. SJWs are a con. The alt-right is a con. I have experienced inyoface racim many times in my life, police brutality too, and let me tell you; there is nothing suckier than being a "nerd" and a minority at the same time... Shit is the stuff of essays.

So yeah, it's all about perspective... And determinism. Sometimes people expect certain behaviors from you and you can do nothing but give in. I for instance learned that people like me more when I am an assertive, self-confident prick to them. I have friends who pull it off but for me, niceness is weakness.

I said "as bad".
They're still bad but no one gives a rat ass anymore.
Sure there are overblown controversies like Hydra Cap but for the most part those are MCU fans/people who don't really read comics/people who are just into controversy

No one reads comics anymore and normal people watch movies about comic book characters.

>I said "as bad".

I've seen more than my fair share of rants about "fake nerd girls" on Sup Forums very reminiscent of the one Bill gives in the comic.

Pete was a cool guy with balls to back up the shit he spewed. Must have been the wop genes.

>you'll never watch a Cinemassacre Monster Madness with guest star Pete Dinunzio

Pete was a terrible person. They all were except for Jerry because he actually grew up. Beedee beedee beedee