So why was Lars the one that was taken to Homeworld with Steven, and not Connie...?

So why was Lars the one that was taken to Homeworld with Steven, and not Connie...?
Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. They wasted like 3 episodes on some irrelevant background character.

Because Connie's character arc is over.

Because Lars was a scared little shit and went to hide instead of escaping.

Are you one of those faggots that watch something just so they can complain about it?

Jesus christ how about postulating something remotely close to a discussion for once instead of immediately getting triggered like a bunch of toddlers?

Lars isn't some irrelevant background character, he's practically Steven's brother.

And he's finally maturing from being a whiny shit.

how on earth do you twist those first two into being "triggered"?

man it's like no one is ever satisfied with anything when it comes to this show

Because Lars is no longer human, is trapped on HW for the forseeable future, and will probably become prisoner of the Diamonds again, where he will proceed to be treated like a stress ball.

If, you know, said stress ball's friend pissed you off and escaped a supposedly heavily guarded planet in less than a day.

Out of the 3 responses you got 2 legitimate ones. Not only has this been discussed to death for weeks, but by taking Connie to homeworld you'd literally be sidelining her until the end of the season, maybe series. That's why they used Lars.

Well, I think this requires us to see more episodes after. You're right, if Steven and Someone were going to be trapped on Homeworld fighting to get out and back to Earth, Connie would be perfect. But that's not what happened, someone who no one liked "died" on homeworld and that let's Steven get back home after a brief trial. Assuming Lars is being basically abandoned on Homeworld, he might have been the perfect, disposable character to be turned into nothing but a plot device to get Steven back and forth between Homeworld.

because then she'd have to turn pink and everyone would get triggered, you know that

>just thought Lars being the one character chosen to go with Steven was an odd choice, otherwise thought the episode was alright
>UGH you guys are NEVER happy with ANYTHING ever!
Please stop breathing.

basically, the first two seasons wrote a check that the rest of the show was never going to be able to cash

Maybe if the show was the least bit satisfying

or they could have just had steven and connie hijack a random spaceship and had the interest of the bomb come from the fact that they're on FUCKING HOMEWORLD instead of trying to further up the ante with some "so dark" gimmicky asspull

Because Stars is endgame.

I can never take this character seriously because his character design is disgusting. Also, fucking annoying voice.

Because Connie is irrelevant now while Lars' character arc starts now. It's what all those episodes before about him being whiny and self-conscious were about.

yeah whatever dude, personally i like the filler slice of life episodes.
it's a lot better than whatever the hell the main story is trying to be

But that's gay.

Might as well die how it lived.

Steven and Connie don't know how to fly a spaceship, much less know how find their way back to Earth since its Galaxy Warp is busted and any star maps Connie knows would be useless. Like I said, this shit has been discussed for weeks, it's your fault you missed out on it.

Great, now kys because idc what you like

I'm not saying the show did it well (or anything well), but just having the incompetent MC and his human sidekick somehow steal a spaceship from a galactic empire, would have also been retarded.

Should have just let him be stuck with Connie and survive for years as rebels forcing Steven to actually mature (or something like that).

This is a correct opinion

You answered your own question you fucking idiot. He is now not an irrelevant background character, he is intrinsically linked to Steven.

season 1 and 3 filler is generally okay, season 2 and 4 filler is kinda poopy, barely above SvtFoE filler in many cases which is fucking saying something

Because if Connie got trapped on homeworld that's the end of their arc. There's been so many Connie + Steven episodes where they just hold each others hands and miraculously make it out alive, this one forced Steven to finally grow a pair and become his mom

i rather not give you the satisfaction of killing myself, cause i'm not a faggot like you.

why are people suddenly wanting poo-in-loo mary sue to not be written out of the show? has the true Sup Forumsmblr arrived at last?

She's here to stay, deal w/ it

God knows I did long ago

I'd say he's even more irrelevant now considering he's trapped on home world as a plot device and we probably won't see him again until the end of the series :^)

>SvtFoE
>Filler
Well meme'd

Because Connie is too importnat to die like this.

it's understandable that your brain tried to block it out due to what excruciating black holes of entertainment they were, but episodes like pic related did happen

The way you kids talk about filler they'd probably call the entirety of Tom and Jerry or Popeye filler.

>Watches an episode of Courage the Cowardly dog, EEnE, Scooby Doo.
>"What the hell, where is the character development?"
Off yourself

>To finally have payoff to Lars' character arc which they've been building since the beginning of the show
>To explain Lion's coloring and abilities
>So that Connie can continue being on Earth with Steven and becoming Stevonnie

If Steven and Connie had been on Homeworld and escaped on a spaceship together then that would force the plot of the show to accelerate since Homeworld Gems would just follow them back to Earth immediately, but you have to pad out 25 episodes a season somehow

Using Lars as a portal to Homeworld means that Steven and the Crystal Gems can visit whenever they want, gather intelligence, steal technology, recruit more soldiers, etc

Brother seems a bit far.
However this does work as his character arc.
I mean that seems a bit hopeful. I doubt they'll actually make good use of the portal until MAYBE when they go back to Homeworld for a big definitive reason. But they'll probably just straight up forget all about it until that moment comes.

>comparing Star's "comedy" episodes to the classics of actual cartoon comedy

the bait just gets weaker and weaker

Guess the point went over your head.

Being a different style of humor doesn't disregard it being humor. I never stated it was as good or as funny.
But this idea of cartoons having filler because every episode isn't about whatever the shitty overarching plot is, is fucking retarded.

Those are all episodic comedies where everything essentially restarts at the beginning of every episode. Of course there is no character development you moron.

That was the point. People complain about stupid shit.

it takes on a different meaning with cartoons compared to anime, obviously - board driven shows cycle out different people to write the different episodes, and they give the 'filler', i.e. the episodes where it doesn't matter as much if they're good, to their shittier writers

>this one forced Steven to finally grow a pair and become a necromancer
fixed that for ya

Because having everything happen to the same characters is boring. Connie's already a DA Mary Sue from being a human learning gem combat and using Rose's sword.

Need an example of "filler" episodes being done by shittier writers because half the time the "filler" episodes people complain about are some of the funniest.

steven's newer powers are increasingly "the dark side of the force" kinda shit, huh? possession...necromancy...dream invasion..

weird

>Implying Steven doesn't love everybody
>Implying loving everybody doesn't involve his cock.

We are all in the universe. And the Universe will be in all of us he wishes.

Little brown girls have always been the best you retard.

It's hard to say until we get descriptions of new episodes but I just find it hard to believe they'll go back to regular townie filler after the last few were all Steven not noticing that his best friends were all being picked off one by one

Little dude's been through some traumatic shit, and his guilt over leaving Lars and the Off Colors on Homeworld like that makes me wonder if he can leave them alone for long.

From your post, you were trying to compare SU, a plot driven cartoon, with non-plot driven shows like courage and edd ed and eddy.

He got the powers the Gems would know about first because they told him what they "knew" his mom could do. Now he's getting the powers only a diamond could manage.

The key waste here is not having Lars asphyxiate to death as soon as they left the Diamond Court, so that he grows to be more brave over the course of the season, rather than over the course of a single episode.

That and the long hiatuses breed speculation and theoryposting to the point where fandom communities develop their own ideas of where the story should go.

is lars going to be able to make portals like lion? is he going to have to bark to make them?

What would be the point of that?

Things that make a character a mary-sue
>A character learning to do something
>Having to actually put effort into becoming someone worthwhile as well as learning about the dangers of the people and situations you're getting involved in and making the decision to stick it out because you want to be a better person than you were
>Being a more complex/relatable and less overpowered character than the rest of the cast

Things that apparently don't make someone a Mary-sue
>Steven who was born with magical powers and is the only one of his kind, and even when he messes up it turns out he was doing the right thing and has almost never been in the wrong in the entirety of the series
>Greg being some random guy who got picked by his Rock Waifu despite the fact that there is literally nothing special about him
>Greg having a magical murdercock that kills a space rebel that a galactic empire couldn't
>Garnet having future vision, super strength, literally no personality, and being the incarnation powered by the "love" of two faggots who have even less personality than she does.
>Pearl, whose only character trait is being obsessed with Rose
>Amethyst the fucked up quartz whose only character arc ended up being about "accepting herself" instead of becoming a competent and reliable member of the fucking cast

i'm starting to wonder if breathing is even an issue on this show

Did I upset you?

LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOO ALREADY!

JUST WALK THE FUCK AWAY AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE MAN, ITS A KNOWN FACT THAT THE SHOW IS SHIT, SAYING IS SHIT FOR THE 100th TIME WON'T MAKE IT BETTER!

>Half of the episodes have nothing to do with the plot
>"It's a plot driven show, why are there episodes that have nothing to do with the plot"

>so fixated on shitposting that you literally forget that you wrote "mary-sue" instead of just "uninteresting/bad character"

i fucking hate this website sometimes

IT MIGHT YOU FUCKO, IT'S CALLED THE POWER OF HOPE

when the plot episodes are 300% more interesting than the 'funny' episodes are funny, yeah, its accurate to say the plot is driving the show even the actual number of plot episodes is abysmally low

You're right in that Connie is not a Mary Sue at all, however she's still not a very good character, especially now that she barely hangs out with Steven other than for Gem topics.

It might be just me, but there's also something intrinsically annoying about her. Steven and Stevonnie are alright, but Connie is just trying too hard, I guess?

They are Mary Sues, at the very least Steven is, being a Mary sue means a character who is canonically flawless.

The problem is, with the exception of maybe Pearl, none of the bad parts of those characters have ever been shown to be legitimately detrimental to the team.

If you have no incentive to improve on something how can it be considered a flaw? Steven can literally do no wrong as far as this show is concerned.

Especially as far as Steven is concerned, because everything wrong with Steven has been a positive for him. His lack of emotional control literally brought a douchebag back to life and gave him a spontaneous desire to stop being a cunt.

The fact that you enjoy the plot more does not make that true.

The objective fact is a significant amount of the show is not based around the plot.

People care so much about this show. Like they legit invest time and money into it.

>The objective fact is a significant amount of the show is boring mundane shit that usually goes nowhere

FTFY

>Boring and Mundane
>Not an opinion

Who cares if it goes somewhere if it entertains people who actually like the show?

i mean, nothing is ever so much of a detriment to the team that someone is permanently killed or injured because its not that kind of show but

amethyst almost got fucking killed by trying to solo jasper when they could've easily gone and gotten garnet (and this was mentioned out loud as a plot point, not a 'please dont think about this' thing)

garnet is kind of a mary-sue on purpose because she's two people working together. kind of a shitty excuse and i do think they need to delve more into the flaws of the gestalt instead of just the pieces

steven's "flaw" is his tendency to think everything is his responsibility, and it did get him in a fuck of a lot of trouble that you seem to be ignoring, but it's kind of a classic mary-sue bullshit flaw so I'm kind of with you on this one

ok then how about this: it's filler in the sense that it's wasting precious moments of my life and giving back nothing in return

at the end of the day, you're trying to dictate how other people use words and that's always a losing battle so you should probably not bother

>Why did they feel it necessary to kill the worst character and replace him with best character?
Gee, I wonder why.

It really is summer.

They SPENT 3 episodes properly fleshing out a background character to make him less irrelevant.

Connie is only as compelling as she is because time was spent fleshing out her character.
You should give him a chance to undergo the same character exploration that made you like Connie in the first place.

>wasting precious moments of my life
So all cartoons?

>wasting precious moments of my life and giving back nothing in return
Anything you don't like is filler. Got it.

Eh, up till we saw Homeworld, breathing problems could have been explained in sufficient capacity.

The Moon base, being a staging area for the Earth colony, could have replicated the air on Earth, which hasn't changed that much in the past few millennia since.
The Human Zoo likely has a oxygen rich atmosphere so that humans that escape the captivity area don't choke to death while in there.
These last 2 episodes completely crashes any consistency.
Given that gems don't need to breathe, there is absolutely no reason why the hollowed out Homeworld would have a breathable atmosphere.

I'm no geologist, but from what I remember from middle school, don't some gems gain coloration from trace chemicals / gases during their formations? Perhaps Homeworld has a similar atmosphere to Earth in order to produce the right colors and types of gems?

Because hes an irrelevant background character that's supposed to be a secondary character and Rebecca Sugar realized she should add some character development for him before they get to the climax of the show and it's too late for him to be part of it.

IS it though?
I mean Steven was a lady.
and also I hear Lars might've been a lady too.

This is Sugar's attempt to justify the townie episodes.

"Hah, SEE?! Lars was important in the end after all! I did the townies for a reason!"

IT'S OVER
CONNIE IS DONE

It might have, at some point, but given the plans for the earth colony required hollowing out the surface at least several Thousand Kilometers downward on a planet with only 8 Kilometers of breathable air, and that the Gems have utilized their Homeworld to at least that much extent, any breathable atmosphere would have long since flowed downward to it's core.
Assuming that the gravity of Homeworld is similar to Earth's, and there is no reason to assume that it isn't, there's no way they could have fallen to anywhere near the core without them noticing that the fall was taking an exceptionally long time.

why would the moonrise even need air

It might not have needed air, but Lion might have warped in the needed air before teleporting to the base.

Semi-related but does anyone have that image where Sugar wrote a little blurb about animation being "magic"?

>everything essentially restarts at the beginning of every episode.

A lot of SU episodes have non endings where this is basically the case

My theory is that Connie was initially the one they planned on taking to homeworld, but then they realized tumblr would throw a shitfit if the brown girl was turned pink and backed out.

Then why have air tight airlocks and not just regular doors.

That's irrlevant because SU has overall continuity.
Connie doesn't go back to wearing glasses and Steven keeps his powers once he awakens to them.
Its like Tom and Jerry at all. Tom dies in several episodes but he's back like nothing ever happened at the start of a new one.

Because if the brown girl was magically turned pink Tumblr would complain about whitewashing.

Flora analyzation, perhaps?
learning how the plants affect soil and air composition for gem growth would be go intel, and it's quite useful to have an airtight base for that.

Lars is brown though. He's (at least half) Filipino.

you mean the moonbase? so that gems staffing the place could converse vocally and not in sign language.

Lars has white-passing privilege.

cant lion scream and make a worm hole thing.
so why dosnt laris do that?
also what would happen if lars went into lions main and went out through his own hair?

I would of loved it if connie came and died then steven made her all pink she would of been so much more useful and imagne when they fuse

Lion can barely warp to ghe moon and hes the vet. Lars aint warping to Earth.

he basically became steven's thrall. they couldnt let that happen to a girl.

>needed to set up Lion's backstory
>needed to show more improvement of Steven's power
>Need Connie in final battle to fuse into Stevonnie
>Could lead to only other battle capable townie(Sadie) getting her shit together to also take on homeworld

Lars is the best fit for what they are trying to do

If connie went to homeworld and became a portal to earth she'd have to much going on, she already most likely will fight in final battle against white diamond so lars was best choice as he is the most relevant townie who doesn't already have power/gift/fighting capabilities