Why did Marvel went from Ms Marvel to "Captain marvel"?

Why did Marvel went from Ms Marvel to "Captain marvel"?
Was it just to fuck around with DC?

because it only gets me fucking confused.

mugga marvel has owned the trademark for half a century, and its DC's fault for killing Fawcett in the first place

you dumb casual

Seeing Ms. Marvel Carol and comparing her to Captain Marvel Carol bugs me a lot because they gave her a completely different body.

Forget breast size, as Ms. Marvel Carol is just a BIG girl overall. She's tall and large-framed. When they made her Captain Marvel they fucking shrunk her. I wouldn't have minded her having smaller breasts if they'd just kept her overall size, both because I find it attractive and because it's somewhat distinctive.

Partially to keep a firm grip on the trademark, partially to elevate Carol as their greatest female hero.

If they don't publish a Captain Marvel series within a certain number of years, they lose the rights to publishing Captain Marvel titles and DC can swoop it up.

You jackass.

It made her seem much more military badass. Their way of making Captain Marvel cool and bad ass was that awful hair...

To shit over the name.

They literally made "Captain Marvel" the worst hero nowadays. Shitty stories, shitty characterization, shitty marketing, shitty fans, shitty sales, shitty everything.

It was two things:

One was they need to keep the Captain Marvel trademark in use otherwise DC takes it. The other was that Steve Wacker wanted Ms Marvel to be named Captain Marvel.

To be fair since Mar-Vell's now ded n' gon Carol is the best fit for the role.

She's still depicted as tall, and it was only Anka who gave her the boob reduction as he went for the musclegirl look. As of #5 of the current run Bandini is slowly increasing her bust size from panel to panel from the look of it. She's making Carol's short haired cut look cute too.

Is that why she constantly gets a new book despite their failure to sale?

Yeah, but Miss Marvel Carol's shoulders would be even broader, and her hips would be as wide as her shoulders. She was pretty uniformly depicted as big-bodied.

>Carol is the best fit for the role.
More like the only one who could fit the role.

Phyla is dead, Genis is dead, and Monica isn't even related to him. In paper it was a smart move, but the execution has been utterly botched.

Well that bit's all about sticking it to DC. :D

Mainstream audiences will be more associates to Marvel's Captain Marvel than DC's Shazam due to the upcoming movie

You're fucking delusional if you think only Chris Anka drew her smaller.

You're either a retard or a Marvel intern since I can't think of anyone here who would defend that shit.

She gets getting books because of two reasons:

1. MCU
2. They really, really, really want their own Wonder Womin.

She's at least more mythical than Miss Danvers.

They don't HAVE their own Wonder Woman. Marvel needs to look themselves in the mirror and realize that they have no character equivalent to Wonder Woman and they can't fudge their way into one. They need to have female leads and movie centerpieces THEIR way, not trying to ape what DC has.

I honestly think Carol was the perfect choice for Marvel's main female.

She gets ascended to Captain Marvel which doesn't feel forced at all since she's got a past with him, I even dare to say it was the natural move after Mar-Vell's son ended up dead, and also the powerset allows her to fight the biggest baddies. I mean she's basically Superman with boobs. But damn if Marvel didn't utterly fuck up every single chance they got to do that.

>the powerset allows her to fight the biggest baddies
She was among the Avengers that were always jobbing to "The Hood".

You say that as if the Hood wasn't being forced as the biggest of deals back then.

It works on paper, the trouble is that before she was "Captain Marvel, Earth's most popular hero!" she was Ms. Marvel, and Ms. Marvel's history as a character is a mess. Wonder Woman even at her dumbest and shittiest has never had anything like Carol's alcoholism or that fucking cosmic rape baby.

WW did have the whole bondage and submission thing going on which has been swept under the carpet and doesn't even get a mention today. Marvel's currently doing the same to Shooter and co.'s attempts to write Carol out back in the 80s - just ignoring that it ever happened.

I don't think her shitty continuity is that harmful. All comic book characters have that kind of awkward moments. Remember spider semen or the Crossing?

>"Captain Marvel, Earth's most popular hero!"
Funnily enough that's one of the instances where Marvel fucked up with her. Who the hell thought forcing her as the bestest hero ever because they say so was a good idea?

>WW did have the whole bondage and submission thing going on which has been swept under the carpet and doesn't even get a mention today.
"Wonder Woman: Earth One" was published last year.

That's because WW is popular in-name only. In reality she doesn't even make the top 5 in DC:

The "bondage and submission" hasn't really and truly been swept under the rug. You can argue that it still informs the ideal characterization of Wonder Woman. Even Azzarello's run directly references the idea of "loving submission." DC seems to realize that Maston and his ideas could be weird, but at the same time they help explain why Diana is the way she is, so they can't be gotten rid of.

Wonder Woman's bondage and submission themes don't even approach what Carol's gone through. At worst someone ignorant of Marston would think it a little low-key fetish insertion, and a fairly tame one at that.

>2. They really, really, really want their own Wonder Woman

FFS then push Rogue or Jea- or right they fucked that up too

If we're going for banned IPs then Sue Storm is their best bet.

>cousin is already in MCU
>basically WW
>not a mutant

MCU is great but this is an oversight on their part I can't forgive.

>That's because WW is popular in-name only. In reality she doesn't even make the top 5 in DC:
Which makes her at least 100 times more popular than Carol Danvers.

As if that was some sort of accomplishment.

I hope that a few years down the line after her movie and sixtieth "Captain" relaunch tanks we can have a story where it turns out Carol was abducted by aliens and replaced by an imperfect clone around AvX and the real one has been imprisoned in space since. Then we can kill carl manvers off for good

Mar-Vell's son should be Marvel. Carol should be Warbird, with her current outfit restylized to reflect those colors and symbols.

>which doesn't feel forced at all

Haha okay

>basically WW

Fucking how

Yes. They want her to be THE iconic female marvel hero. Partly to sell the movie.

I don't know why they just don't push for a she hulk movie.

I liked Carol as a B or C list hero before her current run. Several of her stories centered around her deep-rooted desire to be recognized as a great hero. That was in conflict with her awareness of not being a good person despite wanting to be, and her penchant for making a smoking mess out of situations.

I find it kind of pleasing that nuCarol is supposed to be all those problems washed away, granted in-universe recognition as a great hero, and yet the readers largely dislike her.

S'what Marvel gets for cutting corners on character development.

They do need to use the captain marvel name to keep it.

I wish they kept her color scheme at least. And hair.

Its not a bad move in theory. The less curvy body is a disappointment and Marvel hasnt had the talent to do anything right for awhile now. Which fucks it up.

Because anything Hulk related has to be signed off by Universal.

Supposedly She-Hulk's film rights are weird and Marvel doesn't quite have full access to her.

gosh, I miss the swimsuit uniform

im actually ok with her not being poisoned with MCU popularity

Yes. Marvel clings to the trademark exclusively to fuck DC. None of the characters they've had that used the name have had any success.

>its dc's fault fawcett plagerized panels from superman
Retard

Jean would be an awful choice. Rogue would be mediocre.

I don't understand why he listed two X-Men and neither of them was Storm.

I don't know... the only thing I know is that her comic will be relaunched again xD

Honestly the main thing other characters might have over Carol is that they aren't flying bricks. None of them have a definitive solo run and they would be treated mostly as a blank state like Carol will be.

>Who the hell thought forcing her as the bestest hero ever because they say so was a good idea?
they should have gone, if anything, with in-universe explanation of her PR Agent going overdrive convincing the "civilians" she WAS the Bestest Ever and Carol basically not having idea how to deal with that, while the superhero community generally either give her some degree of stinkeye as a sellout or making fun of her PR-made up stories and accomplishments.