Who was the bigger waste of potential?

Who was the bigger waste of potential?

Green shit was annoying from the start and only got worse.

At least Peridot got some development. Even if they ruined her later. So I guess Lapis.

Shit man, that's a hard one to answer. On one hand there's Peridot: after a fun redemption arc where we saw her display a wide variety of emotions ranging from silly, nerdy, arrogant, bigoted, intelligent, homesick, sneaky, and assholish, she's now just a cringy, shrieking autist who panders to lesbo-shipping tumblrfags. I'm also baffled that despite being touted as a new Crystal Gem who even got to bubble her own Gem monster, Peridot got shoved into the barn to rot in irrelevance with fuck-all done with her.

Then there's Lapis, who had great potential as an icy, aloof ally with a fun arc of slowly growing to like the Earth, make peace with the Crystal Gems, and move past her trauma. I wanted more cute moments of her acting like a big sister to Steven, seeing her defrost from her icy attitude, and if she HAD to make friends with Peridot, have it done in a slow and well-written way. But nah, all her complexity and potential, like Peridot, was tossed into the trash in favor of being Zuked. Even worse is that her imprisonment in the mirror seemed like it was hinting at a genuinely darker side to the Crystal Gems, only for that to go nowhere.

Fucking damn it man, looking back at the time I was excited to see what would happen to these two makes me sad: I can't stand them anymore.

I don't get the autism everyone has with these two.

They're literally Team B. Like Teen Titans East, they were never meant to be main characters and were meant to be used less overall. .

Obviously Lapis, Peridot's redemption arc was great all the way to the end, even if she became a weaker character after.
Lapis barely had an arc, and was only ever cool for being the first new gem the show revealed and having strong powers. The more she showed up the less cool she got, after she came back from Malachite she's been consistently boring.

Lapis might have been sidelined, but Peridot has been absolutely destroyed as a character.

yeah what bothers people isn't just that they are under used although thats pretty stupid

like they only live like a mile away and we know they aren't doing anything useful with their time

however peoples real issue is that they took two relatively serious and interesting characters and basically turned them into useless joke side characters

Lars has had more serious episodes and a more serious arc than Lapis has at this point. Peridot had a serious arc and then just seemed to forget everything in favor of wasting her life watching shitty sitcoms and playing with trash

Not to mention calling them in to help with emergencies almost never happens, like hearing that Steven was kidnapped none of the crystal gems thought calling some backup against known heavy hitters would be useful.

This whole fucking show

>Steven is abducted by Homeworld being sent to Homeworld
>fuck, if only we knew someone who knew how to fly ships and how Homeworld worked
>shit, if only.

yeah

someone like Centipeedle

Lapis's arc is over, she's a victim who learned to stop being one and be happy. she doesn't even need to be around but still is because fan service
Peridot has an entire drawn out redemption arc only to tell the gems more about the diamonds, the cluster, and to be the one to make the drill. she's a plot device given development only to be written off when they stopped needing her
so i'd go with Peridot

Testing

>Lapis had problems
>Lapis started ignoring her problems
you think that's an arc?

>ignore
how so?

>Jasper's back
>better watch some tv

HEY LAPIS!!!

ARE YOU OKAAAAAY~!?!?!?!?

Lapis has been shit and boring since forever and was only ever interesting during the Malachite arc, I don't even get what potential people see in her.

Peridot was only good when she had limb enhancers, as soon as she lost them and Steven started treating her like a baby, she became a shitty joke and she's only gotten worse since then... but her redemption arc was at least written well, even if it had to use the Cluster and Malachite as dumb plot devices (that have plenty of their own wasted potential) to push it along, so since she used to be okay I guess that would qualify her as being the biggest waste of potential out of the two.

I thank chtulhu every day that Jasper avoided Zuke's retarded fanfiction writing

Lapis
>DID YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT WHO I USED TO BE?!?
>Turns out to be just some gem visiting Earth.
>Get's uglier every episode.
RIP

kill yourself

Lapis is sadly a character who was cursed with an amazing entrance which she would never be able to measure up to for the rest of her appearances

I just caught up, and /sug/ seems to be in the /trash/.

Is there a date on the next episode, or are on hiatus again?

hiatus with no clue when its coming back

so you know the standard status quo in this fandom, and people wonder why the show is slowly bleeding fans

Is this a Cartoon Network problem or is it the shows? Because I'm not sure why either one is intentionally sabotaging the show like this.

CN in general

I also have no clue when AT is coming back at this point

I miss the days when there was almost no question that AT and RS had new episodes on Thursday almost year round

You mean who got their character assassinated worse by Zuke?

Peridot pretty much had a complete story arc while they really just didn't do anything with Lapis besides dump her off at the barn so she wouldn't be around for Aquamarine or anything else that she could have fixed relatively easy.

Stop watching children's shows.

Obligatory

Hands down Peridot. Lapis was always a useless piece of shit.

>Steven rescues her from the mirror and gives her a ticket home
>Steven is about to be taken to Homeworld for mock trial and execution, asks Lapis to help him escape back to his home
>she refuses

>Steven is about to be taken to Homeworld for mock trial and execution, asks Lapis to help him escape back to his home
>she refuses

Wait, when was this?

What. Did this really happen?

peridot's redemption arc was pretty good
lapis has been a waste since the end of ocean gem

This is actually a tough question, but I think I'm gonna say Peridot.
We know for a fact that Peridot had potential because the arc centered around her redemption was one of the best arcs in the series. Also she had enough character to sustain an entire arc around her development. We watched her develop and grow and really become a part of the team, only to be stuck in a barn and never be relevant again. Not only that, but not even a hint of her original personality has been shown all season. The "smart character who understands things, but not people" has been done before, but Peridot was at least an original take on it because she doesn't understand most things. The "genius with a big ego" has been done before, but Peridot could at least admit she's wrong and is willing to admit that she has flaws and weaknesses, despite her delusions of grandeur. She also had a different relationship with each Crystal Gem, being frenemies with Pearl, having Amethyst as that sort of cool upperclassman who hangs out with her because she's fun to be around, and Garnet being someone who Peridot aspires to be. She's not just a flat character who views the Crystal Gems as one big monolith. Had she gone to live in the temple, the status quo would've changed significantly, and Peridot's biggest waste of potential is that she could've changed a show that's afraid to change.
Lapis, on the other hand, was honestly never a character who could stand on her own merit. Lapis is only a good character in small doses and in important moments, because once the plot relaxes and we get to know the real her, we realize what a flat and boring character she is. Her backstory turned out to be bullshit, and her current story is entirely dependent on Jasper, who's dead.
Peridot has more wasted potential because it turns out that Lapis never had potential to begin with.

I feel like Sup Forums always uses the term wasted potential poorly. It's kind of a shitty term isn't it, because everything has the potential to be the greatest thing ever, but the vast majority of shit won't be that.

But to answer the question Lapis for sure. Hypest introduction, then barely does fuck all for the rest of the show. Peridot got to be important for a while at least.

>Who was the bigger waste of potential?

Lapis, of course.
Have she did anything intresting since "repair"? Trip with Steve and fat, some bullshit with Peri. Only a boring comedy element (in situation when she's not just a filler).

Not really. Some things inherently have better potential then others. Fresh locally grown apples probably have better potential to become a good apple pie than shitty cheap apple sauce from a jar, but the person making the pie could fuck up with either.

>in before "it's a food metaphor"

no, lapis didn't appear at all in that arc

My time.

But in fiction everything has the potential to be the greatest execution of what it is, be it an adventure cartoon, FPS game, what have you, but almost everything won't be that. It's like always expecting an apple to be the crispest, most delicious apple you've ever bitten into and then being disappointed when it's just a regular apple.
When stuff is legitimately done poorly and has mistakes it's fine to complain about it but whenever I see the term wasted potential it's always a bit silly to me because everything has all the potential in the world, until it doesn't. I think I'm explaining this shit poorly but I hope you get the gist of what I'm going for.

I'd say Lapis is the bigger waste.

Peridot's whole character arc wasn't an example of her displaying her potential, it was her meeting it. She got a lot of development and displayed a wide range of character. And even though she's devolved into screeching autist at that point, I still have an amount of hope that they could return to that prior good characterization she displayed, at any time- they just need to write her into a more serious situation. The problem is they're not doing that.

Lapis on the other hand never got much characterization at all. Most of her arc was left off screen, and when we did see her, for a long time she was presented more as just a blank slate. Just look at all the variety in the fanart we used to get of her that was completely off mark. She was hyped to fuck in her first appearance, back when she could have turned out to be anything. But she turned out to be pretty boring and blase when they finally were forced to give her her own personality. And now we're stuck with that, because there isn't even a better version to go back to, in her case.

Peridot has always been a comedy relief character and invader zim knockoff, she never had potential for anything more, so no potential was wasted

Lapis has only ever been a plot device for Jasper development and will only become interesting again when Jasper comes back, so again, no potential was wasted

Peridot was legit intimidating and mysterious when she was first introduced though.

I think he meant when JASPER was going to take him back to Homeworld for what would have been a mock trial and an execution, rather than when Aquamarine did, and while in Peridot's ship Lapis just wanted to sit in her cell and bitch.

I kind of get where your coming from, but I disagree. It'd be different if we were treating everything at the very base, but I say potential comes to a matter of resources. I think, for example, a very inexperienced team of cartoonists handed the already shit assignment "you have to make a cartoon out of the concept of emojis" and a limited budget, doesn't have the same potential for making a good work than a team of say, accomplished animators handed the assignment "do what you want, just so long as it's an adventure story" and a big budget and reasonable time constraints.

I think that when you've got Rebecca Sugar letting her boarders take the reigns and putting people like Lauren Zuke in charge, you're heading down a dangerous path leading up to current Peridot and Lapis.

I actually liked that, she was scared and battered so bad that she just wanted to give in. I find that defeated Lapis a lot more interesting than current bitch Lapis.

I respect your thoughts on it even though I don't entirely agree. Maybe it's moreso a problem I have, that's what I think of when I consider wasted potential and I think everyone else thinks of it the same way when they don't. Still, I do feel like people have some unreasonably high standards for things at times, but I guess it is natural because it's very easy to imagine the coolest, more interesting way for a fictional work to go and for a variety of reasons things never unfold that way. I don't know man, this was a good dialogue though, good on you.

Yes, season finale S1

Sorry speed watcher, Jasper thought Steven was Rose Quartz and calls him so right next to Lapis several times. Even if she thinks Steven is human, she knows he has the rose quartz gem and the unique ability that healed her.

There's no way she didn't understand the situation.

I get what you're saying, all ideas are bad in paper, sure, but this is diferent, there was already a finished product precented and it looked pretty good, it showed a lot of promise but as it went on they didn't really do much with it and shove it to the side for things that weren't interesting in the least, they setup something that could be cool and then did nothing with it, they're wasted potential.

this

honestly have no clue why so many waifufags like her. her voice is annoying as fuck and she's basically a yoda with a dorito for a head. reminds me of that kid in school who though they were really smart but then tripped in gym class and everyone laughed at them.

Peridot.

Lapis was a sad girl, then she found her big girl panties and chained herself to the bottom of the ocean and there was some edgy horror shit, and that's about it. There's not a lot else to her.

Peridot, though, was the best character early on because she was an "ally" by force with her own motives, but then she just does a complete 180 and becomes an arts student living in a barn. If she'd followed up her autistic screeching at Yellow Diamond by becoming a mad scientist, trying to merge gem tech and organic possibilities to prove to the Diamonds that Earth is a valuable resource, that would have kept her interesting and in the grey area of "generally an ally if you keep a close eye on her and aren't too squeamish."
Just imagine, an arc where Peridot uses human corpses and damaged gems to create Frankenstein-type abominations.
>Why are you so upset? They were broken, and I fixed them! It isn't like anyone was using those bodies anyway, they just bury them. I should be upset! We're supposed to be friends now and you're still breaking my things!

Amethyst for not having a role-reversal arc with Jasper

That's really edgy. But, hell, I'd watch it.

I honestly hope that Peridot and Lapis's interest in farming and agriculture will eventually lead them to revitalizing the old kindergartens and stumbling onto the concept of renewable gem colonies, thereby solving a lot of Homeworld's and Earth's problems.

the entire fucking show

>I'M A CRYSTAL GEM NOW!!

>proceeds to fuck off to a barn and never show up again except when they need comic relief that isn't Amethyst

Lapis, if we're counting from introduction. Homeworld-friendly, but NOT Homeworld-agent Gem who absolutely adores/worships Steven but has real legitimate grievances against the Crystal Gems? Oh, and has godlike water-bending powers? How could this NOT transform the series dynamic? (By just punting her onto a long bus to Homeworld, then into a rape-fusion prison, then into the meme barn.)

Peridot hurts more, though, because her redemption arc was so incredibly good (as in, it was actually pretty good, I can't believe it wasn't hilarious garbage).

Burn the meme barn to the ground. So the best gems can be free.

she's this generations' Invader Zim

Lapis. Her development has been dull and strained ever since she was demoted to being Peridot's waifu.

An angsty teenage donut shop employee has received more delicate development than an unstable, grudge-holding, and hyper-powerful alien. Why is this allowed?

>pre-redemption Peridot
My man.

You're here FOREVER

So how much of this show is sci-fi interplanetary gem empire stuff, and how much of it is interpersonal drama? I'm trying to decide if the tradeoff is worth it because the sci-fi elements really interest me.

Two characters absolutely murdered by Lauren Zuke.

Peridot.
The moment she lost her limb-enhancers, she was pretty much ruined as a character.

I know people tend to love her kitty-faced midget version and her 'redemption arc' because they have shit taste , but she never should have been redeemed in the first place.

She'd have worked much better as a snarky semi-serious part-time antagonist/part-time ally, kind of like Vegeta.

Why the fuck was Peridot shunned to a barn when she saved the world? I can understand Lapis not wanting to live at the temple with the gems that imprisoned her, but it makes zero sense for Peridot to live with her after the cluster.

Fuck Zuke.

If you feel the relationship stuff is something you have to grind through to get to the juicy sci-fi, then this show isn't for you. Cause thats a lot of grinding

It has spurts of scifi mostly around the season ends where it crams a whole bunch of the main plot in before they start all the filler episodes based on Steven doing shit townsfolk.

If you want high scifi stuff we're really just now getting into it. The closest thing we've come to stuff like this before is a few times we've been inside alien spacecrafts, which happens about two or three times now that I think of it.

Expect lots of interpersonal drama around every corner though, sometimes it lasts long enough, sometimes it lasts too long, but the characters at points really do feel like they evolve, especially Steven, who turns from an absolute fucking retard to a competent fighter, and along the way he goes through like three internal drama arcs and watches two other arcs unfold with his lesbian space rock moms.

The show does suffer from having just too many characters though, so if yo fall in love with a character expect there to be stretches where they don't do much of anything, or the entire show centers on them for a few episodes.
Unless you're unlucky enough to like certain characters, because there are a couple that drop all character development at certain points.

Anyway it's a good show with some really interesting scifi content that both goes on in the background constantly and occasionally occupies center stage. They never explain how any of it works though so sometimes the scifi tech seems more like straight up magic, but at that point it's all up to where your tastes are with how tech is handled.

>who turns from an absolute fucking retard to a competent fighter

I wouldn't go that far, is more like "He knows how to hold a shield up"

Yeah that works.
I guess Connie is competent at least.

>sci-fi

Is it really science fiction when there's nothing scientific about it?

The mistake was having both of them so cut off from Homeworld. In the end, it's what killed Peridot's character development after her arc ended and makes Lapis a pointless character. Conversely, it's why Jasper has so much potential to actually move the story and why a lot of people want her back. She has something to offer while Peridot and Lapis don't.

Hell, it'd even make a big difference if one of them still had some Homeworld loyalty and cared what happened to them. But they don't have that either. As characters, they're basically done. So far it seems like Lapis was finished before she even began. Her only role is to be put through angst to cause tension.

I don't watch this show but it seems like the green one is a different size everytime I see pictures of her. Why is that? Is that an ability she has or something?

Like there's some where she's as tall as the blue chick and others where she can't be more than a couple feet tall.

Why was Lapis even on the mission back to earth?

This is only because so far it seems like they never actually had an arc or backstory planned out for Lapis' character. It feels like they winged it and have been filling in gaps with the most boring possible answers.

Lapis

She deserves to smile...and maybe fucked

Or just fucked is good.

Lapis looks kinda cute. Is watching SU just for her worth it?

It may anger you.

The series has like 120+ episodes and she appears only a handful of them, and between each other there's 10 or 15 episodes in between that has nothing to do with her

This shit right here made me drop SU and move onto Star Vs fandom. Lapis and Peridot were a main interesting subplots, especially their relationship with Steven and Jasper. NOT with eachother. And especially not written as fucking Bugs Bunny and Duffy. Fuck their new artstyle, fuck their flanderising personality and fuck Sugar for making me waste my time for 3 seasons

Not him but i was more interested in Lapis relationship with the other CGs, i mean there's so many things left unsaid, it was their (somewhat) direct faut for all the shit she endured, but she really likes steven, that shit is instant, drama but they did nothing with it.

Peridot became pretty flanderized the moment she lost her limb enhancers though.

Lapis was literally never good.

I really miss the limb enhancers as well but you must be deranged if you actually think Peridot had any sort of character before her capture.

Sugar confirmed that when they get reformed they'll reformed in the temple.

>everything has the potential to be the greatest thing ever
Not really. Wasted potential is used to refer to things that started off good and whose trajectory implied that they would continue to be good (but didn't)

>has a terrible start and continues to be terrible
>has a terrible start and a good ending
>people expect it will be terrible before release, is good, but then gets terrible like people expected it would
None of these are "wasted potential" because their potential was so low that there's nothing to waste

What are they doing inside the barn? Smoke weed? Stick things in their alien vagoos? Fuck each other with their alien dicks?

What the fuck?

Watch Canadian soap operas.

Her character was that she was a low-level tech worker who just wanted to do her job and go home, but the remains of some war she didn't care about were constantly getting in her way. She'd understandably bounce between exasperation and stress outbursts.

After the cluster was destroyed, I think the only trace of her original personality we saw was when she sat around on social media griping when Steven and Amethyst kept pushing her into trying to use powers she didn't have. We didn't even get anything about her reaction to turning her back on her people other than a joke.

Why even stick them in a barn in the first place? I thought they wanted to learn more about the earth. How does staying in a barn in the middle of nowhere teach you to like humanity? If you have to write them off have them travel the world it would make more sense than the barn.

But, if we air other shows, how will we continue to air our quota of TTG episodes?

learn more about the earth =/= learn to like humanity

What happened to the writers?

The gems in general seem to be pretty retarded.

The CG have been on Earth for 600 years post Rose-Heresy but pre-Steven, and they barely know enough about humanity to keep Steven from being an absolute retard. (He's still pretty behind, as evidenced by his mental age being at least 4 years behind his chronological. And we know that gem-magic means he is only as old as he feels.)

The HW gems, with the exception of Aquamarine, appear to all be borderline retarded and almost completely incompetent, despite apparently being able to directly interface with their technology, meaning they're some kind of technology themselves.

Nope. Steven Universe is Science-Fantasy.

Peridot for sure. They spent so much time on her and then ruined it within 3 episodes

It's your guys fault for taking her first appearance and immediately building your headcanon off of that.