What makes certain Sup Forums related franchises and character(s) popular in the sense that they get a ton of fan art...

What makes certain Sup Forums related franchises and character(s) popular in the sense that they get a ton of fan art? There are plenty of 'popular' shows and franchises, but not all of them have the deluge of fan content that Homestuck or SU have. Is it just the product of such a large fan base or are there specific demographics that it needs to hit?

Bitches.

Everyone keeps coming up with retarded theories on how to catch lighting in a bottle, but the only thing these flavor of the year things have in common is they basically act like magnets to previously existing fanbases that are dying due to lack of content

The genealogy I can see is first it was Hetalia and invader zim fujoshis, then they latched onto homestuck, then when that went on hiatus hell they latched onto gravity falls, which went on hiatus hell too, and half of them went onto undertale while the other half latched onto steven universe, and now that undertale is basically over and steven universe got into its plot too little too late they're hopping onto villainous and voltron.

If you pay attention a lot of these obsessive fans are repeat offenders from previous fanbase of fujoshis and literally the only thing that has to be there is the vulture element. It's like following a herd migration.

Also forgot to mention that if you pay attention most of the memes and in jokes of any current fanbase are just mutations of old memes and I jokes from older fanbases.

This. Homestuck had great waifus.

>Invent OCs with common schemes/features
>Invent an entire race around said OCs with autistic details that could be filled out in a tabletop with sheets and cookie cutter information, specific sub-types and powers of said race and lot's of lore attached
>Show camaraderie dynamic between the OCs you created
>???
>Profit
It's that simple really.
Oh, and don't forget to set up the setting! Your Homeworld/Alternia/Equestria/Hogwarts should be expansive, interactive and attractive to explore for LORE and adventures as well.

Oh yeah!
Make your chars attractive primarily, and waifus especially so. Homestuck and Skullgirls did this pretty well.
But no one would be into Steven Universe if it was a crew of 5 fat male fucks like Steven.

This is how you make a particularly autistic fandom. You make it easy for people to make their OC's and imagine them doing things in canon. Rwby has this with its shitty cookie cutter donut steal teams. Homestuck has this with its trolls, and before that self-insert role-aspect combos.
Just basing your character's off of a standardized design with cookie cutter aspects will do it.

This isn't often mentioned, but it pays to be competent and talented in the aesthetics of your characters you design. If they all look like DA puke they won't get far, but they should also have an iconic/generic quality to them.

So it mostly depends on it coming at the right time?

>this picture
Go away ants.

My thoughts is that some of these franchises will get huge amounts of character art if it has some combination of these things:

- Huge amounts of different characters, think Homestuck/Hetalia/MLP. The larger the cast, the more to latch onto.
- Character driven, the characters and personalities and relationships are the most important, fandoms will have a field day with dissecting the different characters and "shipping" them
- If it has some kind of different race that's still cute/humanoid, like Gems or Trolls or whatever the fuck Sonic is, it'll get a ton of OC art
- Fappable

>whatever the fuck Sonic is

In my defense, Sonic characters look absolutely nothing like the animals they're supposed to represent. They're sort of their own thing.

99% of the cast of Homestuck was annoying stuckup maladjusted doucheback jackasses so the few who weren't stood out. And of course the least shitty troll of all (Feferi) got no attention at all.

Sup Indexer

Homestucks don't look anything like actual trolls

Everything nu-andrew touches dies.
(dad joke here)

The answer is always the magic combination of Tumblr, autism, and shipping.

Like pretty much everything else that's considered remotely successful, yes. Which is also another reason why the free market is a horrific failed experiment.

Katnep is trash. :::;)

Incorrect. Smithian free market is. A Keynesian market is very viable.

Makes sense.
Would only suggest to add "plot & mysteries" that can spawn fan theories or shipping.

More people are likely to jump on a bandwagon if skilled and/or popular artists jump on early. The actual quality of the source material is secondary.

This. Nobody actually liked Homestuck. It was only popular because it was popular.

I USED TO BE SUCH A BURNING EXAMPLE
I USED TO BE SO ORIGINAL
I USED TO CARE, I WAS BEING CAREFUL. MADE SURE I SHOWED IT TO THOSE THAT I LOVE
I USED TO SLEEP WITHOUT A SINGLE STIR
CUZ I WAS ABOUT MY FATHER'S WORK.

I liked Homestuck until Act 6.

I wish this thread didn't devolve into /hsg/ because there was some actual discussion going on before you people ruined this thread. Please go away

One of the following

1. Bait Fujos
2. Bait Yuri shippers (what are those called?)
3. Waifus
4. Husbandos

How about you continue the discussion and ignore the thread bumpers?

>true capitalism has never been tried!

Actually, true capitalism has been tried and tried again, only to revert to keynesianism every single time because the government has to step in to prevent total collapse.

Can you please stop posting this? It's disgusting.

Stop.

sweet digits

Man, Sock/Luzerna was the best, her Feferi was the most bootylicious.

>Make your chars attractive primarily
But none of the characters in Homestuck or SU are visually attractive.

They have the right colors to make themselves look appealing. The fanon blood coloring and alternate designs made them look even more appealing than they were supposed to be.

What actual trolls?

Kanaya is cute!
CUTE!!

Best taste ITT

Trolls that post on Sup Forums.

This to be honest. That's also the reason every big fanbase is shit, the worst parts of each migrate from dead ones to newer ones.

also lgbt themes will make any show a darling on Tumblr until the showrunners inevitably piss them off by daring to disagree with them on something

If you were to take a long, long step back to the year 2000, you will find the Homestucks and Undertales, the Steven Universes as they were. Children.

Every fandom has a progenitor, and once that fandom dies, they create a new line to throw and cast to the next similar thing.