twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

By being Asian. It's the only way.

Because he's the motherfucking Batman

Feathers

>character mastered "all the marchal arts"
>generic punch, kick, takedown routine

This.

practice m8

By not knowing how many martial arts there are, and not understanding what mastering means.

>implying all martial arts aren't variations of punching/kicking/grappling

>character stole fire from nigh-omnipotent beings.
>literally how
>character rides chariot all day dragging the sun along as he fights a snake monster.
>literally how
>character gets scar that forms a bond with his greatest enemy.
>literally how
>character gains chance at living a better life after not narcing on an escaped convict as a kid.
>literally how
>character gets resurrected as this heroic manifestation of courage as part of this trinity and always manages to find his sword, shield, and horse.
>literally how

It's called suspension of disbelief for the sake of storytelling.
They're essentially metaphors given personalities.
The whole point is to create beings that are larger than life. Otherwise we could just be reading non-fiction.
It's a chance to explore things that normally couldn't happen.

I don't get why people expect this to be different for comics.
They try to tie -in with real life, but at the end of the day, superheroes are still allusions to fighting injustices people otherwise wouldn't be able to. It's commercialized art, but it's still very much art. It's self-expression that's not meant to be taken literal.

I want me some pencak silat using motherfucker tearing through thugs like a shredder.

For one, by not practicing marital arts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_martial_arts

I did not know Batman could oil wrestle.

>character supposed mastered all of the martial arts
>Tugs and crazy people can still take them dowm hand to hand

Quality over quantity

>mastered all of the martial arts
>shoot heat seeking missile at him
??? Waste of time.

Do those same skills translate to mud wrestling though, that is the real question.

>character supposed mastered all four of the elements

literally how?

mystical nature shit, bruv

It's not the realism, it's the fact that this shows an obvious lack of care from the writers. It's basically saying "lol my character can't be beaten in a fist fight", except you know they'll struggle regularly because dramatic tension and lose occasionally in fist fights because invincible heroes are boring, and this forces retarded power creep where now EVERYONE's an expert in all martial arts even when it doesn't make sense, even when the characters mever even demonstrate the faintest understanding of a single actual martial art form and the original writer just wanted a guy who's unnaturally good at hand to hand combat.

Compare against, say, Avatar, where the bending types are all their own martial art forms with their own intricacies and strengths. Here, the idea of a character who masters all the martial arts is an actual meaningful statement, both in that we can see the differences and that they're rare enough that it doesn't crowd the space or make single form fighters or even normies worthless.

>he doesn't know about Missile Reversal Dou

enjoy dying a horrible death

The original writer can't really control what happens after with the character though. People play up the villains to undermine his abilities, and create conflict, but oftentimes it just takes away from the character. However, the original character can't be changed without a retcon so writers just have to go with it. If you want to judge a character for that, you have to remove everything else and go with his original conception. Otherwise you just gotta go with it. It's like that game where everyone makes a story wtiting one sentence. You're gonna have that one douche that kinda ruins things, and you jist have to continue on or end the story.

How can he remember all those fighting styles yet do generic kicks and punches?

>Character with sword can beat a character with gun

*blocks bullets by twirling blade*

I can buy someone like Vandal Savage doing that.

If he moves in a zig-zag motion, it is possible. Come on Charlie.

>Pro Wrestling

>character supposed mastered all of the martial arts
Gets his ass kick in hand to hand combat by some no named henchmen

>Peak human

>Trained soldiers with guns can't hit a moving target 20 feet away

are you implying what I think you are? Because I'm not happy about it.

>wing chun
No wonder he jobs so much.

this

By being a regular human just like me XDDD

A super smart billionaire who spends almost all of his free time, fighting regular thugs and clowns.

I'm so relatable, amirite

Remember when this happened?

Oh yeah

Friendly reminder that Amell's partner had his finisher named the Red Arrow just for this storyline while Stardust renamed his the Queen's Gambit

The things WWE won't do

>sombo
It's spelt Sambo actually

Why would a super wizard need to wrestle? Can't he just turn everyone into heads?

>Queen's Gambit
Way better name than Arrow Season 3

>character supposed flies and tows planets on chains
>character supposed travels at light speed without disturbing his immediate surroundings
>character supposed creates green constructs out of a willpower-based resource pool and it's just science

literally how?

It's probably because Murricans are retarded and the word "sambo" has racist connotations.

It's just a name.

He's actually Mr. Sinister.

Actually the Red Arrow is named for the RAF's aerobatics team.

>character supposed mastered waterbending in a few weeks with zero prior training

literally how?

Yea Fund It.

Joe please

>character trait is being a master of all fighting styles
>literally never amounts to anything other than "ooh he can punch really hard and do some ninja flips sometimes"
>writers rarely bother to actually look up a fighting style and incorporate it into the way a character moves or fights
>it's always the same shit

This shouldn't bother me as much as it does but I hate that writers treat a character mastering a fighting style like he was just picking up a new hobby.

Hey, never forget the fundamentals.

>characters took martial arts in college
>can defeat pretty much anyone because no one else in the universe knows how to fight

>literally one of the strongest magic users ever
>has no formal teaching
>no discipline

generic punches and kicks are the most useful moves

relying on fancy moves is a common mistake for beginners

>character is the world's greatest detective
>rarely does any actual detective work and has gadgets that solve all the crimes for him

>it takes 10 years to truly master a skill
>there are 100+ unique martial arts not including the 1000s of redundant samey styles

Most martial arts are just dancing and posing and can't be used in a real fight.

You basically only need boxing, muay thai, wrestling, and bjj. Everything else is just over stylization of the techniques from those forms.

>bjj
lmao.
Real jujutsu or combat sambo > Gracie's gay grappling.

>character is a supergenius
>acts like a regular guy who makes dumb decisions but created a lot of tech

>character is confirmed to know one martial art
>some of the shit he pulls in combat looks nothing like that martial art

>character is all-powerful mighty fuck
>just punches with no grappling whatsoever.

>One Meme punch?
All Might fits too though

Why have MMAy sex with someone, when you can just knock them out with said "all-powerful mighty fuck" power?

Because it ain't real innit? It's fucking make-believe.

Why not just break their arms or try to practice some painful holds and locks?
Not like they can overpower you.

>Capoeira
No the fuck he didn't

All Might used grappling and such in his fight m8 youtube.com/watch?v=TPp1GhuIP4o , Saitama is the one that kills in one punch

I like Batman way more when he is just a buff man who knows how to punch, fight dirty and handle himself in combat plus the usual parkour and detective shit than having him be the good of disharmed combat

>Not realizing that people like the more down to earth characters for being down to earth and the whacky characters for being whacky
>Not understanding that having the crazy fun adventure guy at all gritty and dark or having the down to Earth one go all silver age is shit writing

Shut the fuck up, you pinky. You run in a zig-zag pattern away from a person with a gun.

yeah growing up you think martial arts are special then you get older and realize they're bullshit and basically boxing and wrestling will take you farther than kung fu.

many current martial arts tend to be neutered in order to be practiced as a sport rather than a form to fuck people up

i don't see the point of learning something the wrong way, out of "sport"

i had this friend who was this local taekwondo something, idk he had a bunch of medals and trophies. pretty much always said he'd fare well in a fight. anyways we where out drinking and these assholes started shit and there was a large group of them, instead of just walking away he talked shit to them. so long story short he got his ass kicked and i didn't. he sucked balls at landing any hits and they didn't even hurt people when he did.

>systema is good
Kek

>Sombo
What the fuck, is that supposed to be Sambo?

Dude should've gone with MMA instead. Sure you'd get hurt but that's kind of the point. You're going to get hurt in a fight and you're going to hurt people in a fight.

How good is judo, /asp/?

I give Batman a pass like I give Wolverine a pass. Wolverine has bummed around long enough to learna bunch of fighting styles and be better at them than most people alive.

Batman is crazy enough to have stuck to martial arts training all around the globe and still probably trains with new styles all the time. I do not believ batman is the best hero ever or that he should beat everyone he fights though.

dude's sort of a pussy. i don't think he could handle mma. he's hyper competitive but not physically strong or coordinated imo. so i think he just likes getting trophies, but not actually fighting. where i actually enjoy fighting and do it to test myself. i agree getting the shit kicked out of you is part of learning. i've only trained in boxing.

>thinking writers do any research before writing rather than go on a Christopher Priest-esque rant about how they don't have the time to read comics

There's no way to tell, since you'd never use capoeira moves in a real fight. Except for the one where you take a razor blade out of your pocket and slit the guy's throat.

Is this what Green Arrow knows or the actor?

But that's objectively wrong.

That shit bugs me. The only time he ever trained in a martial art on-screen in the flashbacks, is Eskrima with Slade. Then, around the first half of season 3 he suddenly knows how to use different techniques. I'm not asking for training montages, but some mention that he had some off-screen training would've been nice.

I figure it's like being fluent in Latin and maybe you can BS your way through Spanish, Italian, and French. Or at least learn them a little better.

You learn boxing,like all of boxing, even the dirty stuff and boom you've got a pretty strong foundation for learning upper body striking, you learn wrestling and there's you grappling, and muy thai as foundation for strong kicks, But from there with those three learned to the best of your ability the rest is stances, forms, and slight variations.

There was this show fight quest. And it was kind of like Anthony Bourdain except with martial arts. These two guys would just travel around learning different martial arts for a week and then fighting at the end of episode. But a lot of what they learned they'd mention it's a lot like this thing they already learned at this other place they visited or when they were doing MMA. So if you started young enough with the intention of mastering all known martial arts, I imagine it's somewhat possible in a life time.

But then I also associate somethings in fiction with a Sherlock Holmes ability to memorize or learn shit. Especially Batman or characters like him. Like Sherlock homes deductive method works in theory but you have to be someone that's memorized the look smell and texture of all soil samples in the city and surrounding areas. There's a certain level of fictional genius that goes without question in these things.

It's great for getting out of fights. Like get your opponent to the ground maybe hurt and disorient them in the process and then running away.

Sounds like it'd be a good opener into a ground fight.

>Implying Greek Gods are even close to omnipotent.
Zeus himself is weaker than a lot of high tier capes.

Nothing makes me more mad than this bullshit. It's the cheapest way of giving your character superpowers while saying "they're normal people like you and me" It doesn't even have any real meaning anymore. I look at the DC wiki, everyone's "peak human".

>martial arts
You mean "grew up on the rough part off town", right?

They're both shit either way.

That whole post was a Dexter Morgan reference

I see. I was just posting an example of my own.

I personally like Batman Begins Batman because he's just a theatrical ninja

Terry Motherfucking McGinnis.

This kind of shit is why I prefer Daredevil in the comics and only like Batman outside of comics and far away from the Justice League

Saitama grapples. He only gets scrappy when necessary

My question is why.

Past a certain point, everything kind of can be summed up as, fists, shins and grappling.

>good guy and bad guy are fighting
>bad guy grabs good guy
>instead of going for a grapple, submission hold or pummel they throw the good guy, giving them a chance to reset the situation.