Both Man of Steel and Green Lantern were made to kickstart a DC cinematic universe

Both Man of Steel and Green Lantern were made to kickstart a DC cinematic universe.

They decided Green Lantern wasn't good enough to do so, but Man of Steel was.

Which do you think is better?

You know I never really thought MoS was a bad movie. When I first saw it I said it was alright with a weak story. I recently rewatched it and it's a decent blockbuster with some problems. It did its job and made Superman cool until BvS.

Wonder Woman proves people want and love Marvel movies so obviously Green Lantern is better

I can tell you straight up that whatever Man of Steel's faults, it was still better than the Green Lantern movie.

Though they're a bit more similar than they should be.

They're both bad in different ways, but Man of Steel was arguably the better attempt at kickstarting the universe. MoS could have been fixed with another edit and a few minor scenes tweaked, GL however felt completely half-assed. The crime here regarding both is WB being reluctant to use either considering their performance. They have it in their heads that audiences don't like them because of the reception, when in reality we just want them done well. Though I will say this, making a Superman movie is a hell of a lot easier than making a Green Lantern movie. Concept, special effects, budget, all of which would be a nightmare if given the task. Why do you think most of it was set on Earth?

>Wonder Woman is like a Marvel movie

Just stop this meme. WW struck a perfect balance between the grimdark seriousness of the Snyder movies and the wacky "lol isn't this dumb?" gimmick of the MCU movies.

No, it didn't. Also Snyder wasn't grim dark at all. Just because something isn't a Saturday morning cartoons it doesn't mean it's edgy. You Fucking faggots would call. Independence day grim dark.
Wonder woman was a generic action flick, nothing wrong with that.

>BvS
>Not grimdark

Are you memeing me right now?

It's not. It's a movie about hope and redemption, the opposite of Grimdark.

This, Man of Steel was never really more than a big dumb action movie, but it succeeded at being a big dumb action movie. If self-seriousness is something we're going to fault it for, that's fine, but so many other movies are too self-serious for their own good and get a pass. Too far in the other direction is also grating, although Marvel movies aren't nearly as bad for their "quips" as the Sup Forums memers would have you believe.

It's mediocre, whereas Green Lantern failed even at delivering a dumb action movie with no other expectations of it. It was unambiguously worse than MoS. That doesn't make MoS good, but it does mean that GL is awful.

MoS is self-serious but not very "grimdark," but BvS absolutely is.

The world is a better place at the end of the Movie, superman saved everyone, and even managed to turn batman into a hero again and yo be the reason why the JL is formed, there's nothing grim dark about it. Clark having to struggle with not being able to save everyone doesn't mean the movie is Grimdark, just like the original alien movie has everyone dying but is not "grim".

what is grimdark about BvS? Batman killing, which is portrayed as a bad thing and a commentary on how every other Batman movie before had Batman kill without really drawing attention to it like Snyder? So its grimdark to portray killing as a bad thing? Was it grimdark because Superman left to go meditate on whether his presence is causing more harm than good? It was grimdark because it actually brought weight and sorrow to deaths and didnt just glibly brush them off? Was it grimdark because it was all about a man restoring hope in another man/humanity? Please tell me.

The conclusion of the movie does not negate the fact the content and tone of the movie is grimdark.

By your logic, every horror film that ends with the protagonist killing the villain/escaping isn't grimdark.

>The conclusion of the movie does not negate the fact the content and tone of the movie is grimdark.

see

yeah so grimdark...

You clearly dont understand tone. Are you going to look at someone who has never seen the movie before and with a straight face tell them the tone of the movie is hopeful?

>"I dont understand tone"

The Dark Knight Returns has Batman saving Gotham. Are you going to tell me that comic wasn't grimdark?

You already posted this.

its a very hopeful movie, you still cant actually say HOW its grimdark. Just because parts of it are dark and there are dark characters its grimdark? So any story with a da rk character or dark moments is grimdark?

Uhhh there weren't any fart jokes so it has to be grim dark! Duh!

Green lantern for sure. MoS is the single most forgettable Capeshit I've seen in the last ten years, and I saw that Edward Norton hulk movie and both Thors if that tells you anything.

Man of Steel is a great movie and Green Lantern isn't.

The Dark Knight Returns is called grimdark because it has shit like Joker killing himself by twisting his own neck, terrorist esque gas attacks on innocents, and prostitutes user.

I, personally, dont even think its really THAT grimdark because all of that is portrayed as Gotham losing its way to an extent. I think something like Wanted, Preacher or The Boys is true grimdark/edgy, where the entire thesis, world and tone of the book revolves around gore and doing evil things, but they are treated as being relatively "normal."

Yes. When Lois died in Superman 1 it became a grim dark movie. Iron Man 1, The Dark Knight, Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy; ALL OF THEM are grim dark. The only one that isn't is Lego Batman. Wait no there were some sad scenes so it was grim dark too.

>they still cant actually show HOW its grimdark other than "b-but muh tone!!"

sad!

The best example of something that IS grim dark is The Black Freighter from Watchmen. It's needlessly edgy and has no purpose or moral, no good ending, nothing. It leaves you wondering "what was the point of that?" Fact is, there hasn't been a real grim dark cape movie. Not one that I can think of anyway.

I'm not going back and forth with an autist trying to claim BvS isn't grimdark. Everything from it's music choice, to dialogue, to cinematography is meant to evoke grimdark but you're too autistic to see it because you focus on specific actions and not the whole picture. Again this goes back to my horror movie example. You would immediately say something like Saw isn't grimdark because you can pick out every morally good action in the film. Snyderfags are so in denial about their movies they even try to argue against the very tone the director is going for.

MoS is bad, but... did you fucking see ANY of Green Lantern? It was the cheapest looking expensive movie ever. It was terrible in ways MoS couldn't be if it TRIED.

Again you have a basic misunderstanding of tone and instead choose to focus on the actual content.

>the director is going for.
Source?

I dont think its needlessly edgy, its meant to reflect Rorshach (and to an extent Ozy's) whole journey through Watchmen and is also a direct take on the Pirate Jenny story from A Three Penny Opera.

But it is meant to be completely and utterly repressive, that is the point. That ultimately our greatest enemy is paranoia and fear and we shouldnt give into it. Its what drives Ozy to do what he does, but it is also what ultimately leads Rorshach to get to the truth (and his own demise).

Both are weak, but Man of Steel at least felt like it's own movie. GL was literally Green Iron Man.

Go ahead and explain the difference then. I'll be waiting.

So you still cant actually explain why it is grimdark, other than "it just is because of everything!!"

You are reminding me of a certain quote: " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

Nemesis is the ultimate in grimdark, only because it becomes almost comedic

But there's nothing grim about someone dying in jail just like a cab driver getting a good tip isn't hopeful. The struggle isn't grim by definition if not only the main character overcomes it but also affects others in positive ways.

Men are good.

I would say Green Lantern because I didn't leave the theater feeling like a piece of my soul had died.

see

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Well in the context of Watchmen it has its purpose but I meant if it were a standalone comic then it would be meaningless.

Moviebob, is that you?

And the fact we have daily Mos threads and we don't have guardians of the galaxy 2 threads totally prove your point.

Oh for sure. It would just be a super depressing, nihilistic pirate story.

In the same way the Pirate Jenny story is a part of the larger whole of Three Penny Opera, the Black Freighter is part of Watchmen.

Because man of Steel was an infinitely better movie. But I will give GL credit, they did have the first proper movie telekinetic since Carrie. No hand gestures.

Come on, Zach. Not everyone who dislikes your film is Moviebob.

The music is fantastic, how. Can you call. It Grimdark? The parts they use from Mos are still there, feel with emotion, having some sad music doesn't mean it's Grimdark. Stop acting like a child. Marcenaries killing innocent people isn't Grimdark, superman not smiling when a building is burning or there's a flood destroying someone's house isn't Grimdark, is a realistic portrait of violence and a realistic reaction while helping someone that just lost everything.

Oh yes the amount of threads on Sup Forums clearly are a marker for something's relevance and quality and obviously has nothing to do with the constant Sup Forumswars threads we have here everyday.

Wait there's a second guy who dislikes his movies? I've never heard of him.

It's not especially heinous. But it's also pretty boring.

I'm not the guy claiming MoS is a forgettable movie. The fact is MoS is one of the least forgettable Cape movies ever.

>Oh yes the amount of threads on Sup Forums clearly are a marker for something's relevance

if something is talked about often, it is obviously more relevant than something that isn't

Given the diversity trend in Hollywood, I'm surprised they went with a white Green Lantern when his most popular version is a black guy.

MoS without a doubt. It was serviceable at least . GL was an uninspired mess.

I kinda hate Man of Steel.

But it is almost infinitely better than Green Lantern.

Reminder that first flight is the best capeshit escene of all times.

IMO it's surpassed by Superman going back in time in Superman 1, but that might get beaten by Superman's return if it's done in a spectacular way.

Be ready to say

KiNO

>This, Man of Steel was never really more than a big dumb action movie
Nothing about it was notably dumb. And it had much better world building and a sense of logic and realism then many sci-fi films. How the powers work contextually and visually & such.

Sup Forums talks more about shit they hate.

And?

The whole point was that one retarded user said mos was forgettable. And that is retarded.