Thor

Reminder that Thor is better than Jesus.

Other urls found in this thread:

howtolovecomics.com/2015/04/06/jonathan-hickman-avengers-reading-guide/
marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Avengers_Vol_5
marvel.wikia.com/wiki/New_Avengers_Vol_3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Seems like he only helps chinks and nuns, that's not very fair or Christlike

Christ wouldn't give up his hammer because a fedora tipper said he sucked

>I know him from work!

>Gorr was right.

LOL nah. Thor is a bitch.

Can someone tell me where this is from

Jason Aaron's God of Thunder run on Thor. That page specifically comes from the decompression issue (#12) after the first God-Bomb arc - it's basically Thor running around Earth being a total bro.

>you will never be a nordic god of peak fitness and male beauty and deflower an entire convent of nuns

Well I mean, in a setting like Earth 616 where gods are conjured out of belief and folklore, one must naturally assume that the christian god and Jesus exist - probably several different versions of them, in fact, thanks to different religious traditions and cultures - but unlike Thor and Hercules, for instance, they never show up to actually lend a hand and just be good people. At the very least it seems SNOBBISH of Jesus, doesn't it? Come on out and get your hands dirty, dude. Other gods can do it. Why is it beyond your abilities?

Yup, even those less-friendly Olympian types also came down to teach lessons.

>Actually wanting Yahweh to make an appearance

It's not a thing you'd want.

He's Bad News.

For the sake of thematic consistency, if nothing else. You'll sometimes see these meetings of the head gods of all of these different pantheons meeting for important matters, but the christian god never bothers to put in an appearance. Snobbish!

Hey guy, nobody asked for a storytime of a tangentially related comic.

This is the reason why. God is a bit of a cunt.

Your Mother never asked for a homely perma-dependent manchild, but them's the breaks.

Because readers would go apeshit, that's why.

Maybe if Abramic religion becomes extinct, some thousand or two years after that event you will get what you wish for here. But not before.

Thor is also a major BBQ freak.

>I'll derail a potentially good Thor thread and then insult anyone whe complains! That'll show them!

I miss Hickman on Avengers so much. Such a delightful era.

Jesus Christ Almighty, control your fucking damage. The only thing derailing the thread is your full spectrum outrage. I'm sure your meds are in the usual cabinet.

Don't cut yourself on that edge.

Out of touch with marvel. What book, and is it often this comfy?

It was Jonothan Hickman's run on Avengers. It's a little uneven here and there; it's a truly vast cast of characters, so nobody gets the amount of spotlight time that you might like them to, but it has a lot of great moments like this, and it all has a lot of heart. It's also the story which led directly to the big Secret Wars storyline which defined Marvel for half a year or so, which lends it a certain significance.

howtolovecomics.com/2015/04/06/jonathan-hickman-avengers-reading-guide/

Thor and Hyperion in particular are bright shining lights throughout this run.

This always pissed me off. The Jewish god clearly stated that he took the lives of the Egyptians firstborn Himself. He even says that he will do it and not a messenger or an angel.

Hickman's Avengers run from a few years back: Infinity and the Time Runs Out (the alt-Earth 'Incursions') which all led up to his Secret Wars II.

Plenty of whinging about it at the time, particularly here on Sup Forums, but it'll eventually go down as one of the best event runs in recent memory.

.>you will never have to try and outshoot Hawkeye to win a Ferrari off Sunspot

Some more information which is a little spoiler-y, so if you're interested in reading them I suggest a light touch in investigating:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Avengers_Vol_5

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/New_Avengers_Vol_3

The two books ran concurrently, telling their own separate stories but which nevertheless wove various threads together at various important moments, especially near the end of both.

I'll take a look, appreciated.

Total kek

They could even just say his name is "El" the Canaanite god.

>but it'll eventually go down as one of the best event runs in recent memory.
You're a faggot.

Shooting arrows off a skyscraper seems super fucking dangerous

Not the guy you're responding to, but I'll bite: Give me a top-five list of recent Avengers runs which don't include Hickman's body of work.

he said, ignoring Starbrand's humongous (sometimes world-wrecking) energy blast.

Energy blasts don't tend to be affected by gravity, dissipate after hitting their target and can be dialed back.

An arrow is going to fall the ground no matter what, just like when idiots fire their guns in the air to celebrate.

This thread made me like Thor a lot. Seems like a good man.

I remember the threads at the time this comic came out with all of us wondering what the average Marvel-cit thought of finding charred and skewered golf balls littering the ground around Avengers Tower.

All part of the price of living near spandexed real estate I suppose.

[pic]

Civis aren't sentinent. The city basically IS an anthive.

Nonsense. There is no real estate market in any city in any capevers.

Reading pages like this, I can't help but think how pathetic the Avengers really are in comparison to the Justice League.

Yeah in the Haggadah I always thought it weird how he specifically said it'd be Him, but I suppoae it's to make a point or something.

>top 5 recent avengerd runs that dont include hickman
Wew with those standards.
There hasn't been a good one since busiek.

The Avengers have never been presented as being near-omnipotent ubermensch like the Justice League. The JL appear to be so powerful yet crime and disaster still exist in their world - which gives rise to an Epicurus-like question - why the fuck do they let the bad things happen there?

Personally if I were to compose a list of my personal top 5 in the past decade and a half or so?

1 - Hickman's run, all told.
2 - Remender's Uncanny Avengers (including Rage of Ultron)
3 - Remender's Secret Avengers
4 - Duggan's Uncanny Avengers
5 - Bendis's Avengers/New Avengers, excluding anything post-Siege, where it was clear he'd just run out of ideas and should have quit when he was ahead.

I remember during the Avengers/JLA crossover written by Busiek, there was a moment where Superman was on Earth 616, looking over the charred remains of Genosha and just kind of simmering with rage at the heroes of this world allowing something like this to happen. The Atom tried to be a voice of reason, pointing out "The heroes of this world seem to have to deal with a lot more threats than we do and with a lot less firepower overall. For what they have to work with it seems like they do a pretty good job."

>that
>edgy
Sup Forums really is full of pussies, not even that user.

I didn't need to be reminded of that. Of course all the old polytheistic gods are better than Jesus and his ilk.

then he'd fit in fine with the rest of the skyfathers

It's not about "firepower". They have Thor and Hulk and Scarlet Witch, for christ's sake. It's more like they would rather spend time screwing around in their exclusive club rather than helping people that need help, like persecuted mutants. And that's when they're not dealing with all their seemingly endless amounts of interpersonal drama bullshit or fighting with each other like overpowered children.

Of course he is. Thor exists.

>but unlike Thor and Hercules, for instance, they never show up to actually lend a hand and just be good people. At the very least it seems SNOBBISH of Jesus, doesn't it? Come on out and get your hands dirty, dude. Other gods can do it. Why is it beyond your abilities?

You seem to miss the entire point of Jesus. Thor and Hercules were basically superheroes to begin with, they were male power fantasies, Jesus is not a warrior, a brute, or a stud, he's a symbol of self sacrifice and humbleness

What the hell is he going to do in a fight other than get his ass kicked to show how he's the better person

give niggas free lunches and shit. Though to be fair theres no proof he isnt.

>Why is it beyond your abilities?
Because the audience would lose its shit and no matter how they wrote him, Marvel would get torn a new one

Alright, since you're being all serious and polite with your answers, here's how I see it:
Rage of Ultron and the Apocalypse Twins/Avenge the Earth saga by Remender? Ok, those are good stories.

Duggan's Uncanny, haven't read enough to judge.

But Bendis and Hickman? Nah man. Hickman's isn't a story about the avengers, there's just pawns in his big Doom epic and do nothing important in their own book...
And Bendis, well, I just don't like his style.

What?
Isn't God the One Above All in Marvel?
And the Presence in DC?
They both could kick the ass of every other being in the multiverse

Yes but they never do anything. That's the point.

The One Above All does appear to help heroes though
He helped spiderman once
And I'm sure he helped other people too in other runs

The Presence is more promiment in His actions instead
Read Lucifer

Who's saying anything about fighting? I'm just saying he could do what we see Thor doing in these scenes. Come and hang out with people and do what's in his power to help out in meaningful, concrete ways. Don't be some aloof asshole, hanging out in heaven with this bloody melodramatic edgy teenager bullshit we see in Revelations where he's like "When I return it'll be oceans of blood and plagues and fire forever!" Like, get over yourself you melodramatic bitch, and do some practical good. Go join Habitat for Humanity and build some houses like a friggin' carpenter or something. Nobody needs your threats and weirdness.

What aobout when he flipped out in the temple and started whipping the shit out of motherfuckers for jewing up the place with their shekels?

Or how he's going to come back with a sword.

Stop. This is cringeworthy.
Weren't the ones in charge of the Marvel and DC universes during the creations of the Presence and The One Above All jews?
So of course in the marvel universe probably there is no Jesus
But the omnipotent beings have that kind of power and they don't act like thor because values the actions of mortals

>Aaron writes this
>later goes "Actually, Thor is unworthy"

It's a rather grandiose title, "the one above all," but I guess it's not any more dramatic than Odin calling himself "The All-Father." Big tough-guy gods like to give themselves names that make themselves sound more important than all the other gods, when in reality we know that Marvel gods are just embodiments of belief and faith and folklore. Though it could be argued that with the various stripes of christianity which currently exist on earth (and by extension Islam) believing in him, he's probably nudged up past those other sky-fathers in his current power levels.

But the point is, he tends to be kind of arrogantly aloof unlike Thor and Hercules, which considering the fact that they are demonstrably out there helping people day to day comes across as prickish.

In Marvel it's literally Kirby and Led

>helped spiderman
>the guy who literally sold his marriage to the wannabe-Devil

Comicbook writers are all hacks, no exceptions

Yeah, but the point is that Thor came to the conclusion that no god is worthy of worship. They ought to all just try to be good people, helping out and being decent rather than being held as superlative objects of reverence. It wasn't about not being a good person, it was about renouncing divinity.

When was that ever the criteria that makes one worthy or not?

We've never been given a hard-and-fast list of what constitutes worthiness by Mjolnir's standards, but I think that conviction is certainly at least a part of that, and when Thor lost his faith in his own place in the universe, I think that put him out of the running.

That isn't it, otherwise we would have the Unworthy Bill.

Thor thinks Gorr was right and that means he thinks gods including himself are irredeemably bad. That makes him unworthy.

That last page.

>i am what i am, abe. i am what i am.

I dunno if you need to have grown up in a fundamentalist batshit insane crazy Evangelical deathcult to get the humour in that panel, but I can't stop laughing. Almost makes wasting 20 years of my life on a retarded Jewish fairytale worth it.

thor is certainly better than family guy jesus (the one that's a dick to his bullied kid).