Darth Vader #002 Storytime Edition

>Upcoming Releases:
swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out this Week:
Darth Maul #4 (June 21)
Darth Vader #2 (June 21)
Poe Dameron Annual #1 (June 21)

>Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer
[YouTube] Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser (embed)

>Star Wars: Rebels - The Final Season
[YouTube] Star Wars Rebels Season 4 Trailer (Official) (embed)

>Battlefront 2 trailer
[YouTube] Star Wars Battlefront 2: Official Gameplay Trailer (embed)

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya (embed)

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

I'll be storytime, so hold off on images until its done please

Not muh Clones

Kinda wish Vader was less of an asshole. I liked it when he hated incompetence, rather than just dicked on his subordinates for no reason

Are you going to storytime Poe/Maul after too? That would be neat.

Loving this issue so far. I like that it's a smaller story where Vader is just kicking ass.

>Not muh Clones
???

I mean this is a pretty bad time for Vader right now, he's just coming off of news that he killed his pregnant wife.

Also, it's Darth freaking Vader

Oh hell fucking yes

I wasn't planning on it but I can if you want me too.

Only if you're up for it

Wait, is this a homage to something in Legends? I'm almost certain this is a recreation of something I have read before

and Finished. Shitpost away.

Love seeing more clones

Its alright, I'm downloading Maul now.

Strange it looked like Vader was struggling there

Thanks for the storytime, kind user!

Same, especially Post-RotS

I think its Kylo Ren freezing the bolt.

>Vader's ship is neat
>Mainline clones getting post-Sith material
>Vader gets an anime rival

This is looking really good.

Probably was. Containing an explosion is something I don't think we have ever seen in canon before.

No, I mean even the dialogue seems familiar.

As for freezing the bolt, technically we have seen characters "freezing" objects and even people the way Kylo did before TFA. Even Anakin does to Bariss at the end of their fight in TCW.

TFA, contrary to what its title suggests, didn't really introduce and new uses of the Force. Just gave more exposure to lesser-explored ones.

Yeah I am digging it.

Art is decent too, thankfully Larocca isn't shitting this one up

Immediately or closely-following order-66, and directly dealing with the aftermath, was my favourite time-period for legends material.
Nice to see nucanon getting in on the action.

storytime coming up

Yeah, if you're up for reading some books, Lords of the Sith and Tarkin are pretty good. They're not directly after ROTS, but they do show a lot of early-Empire stuff.

Hondo?!

Read Lords and loved it, and Tarkin is getting bumped up the list now.
There's so much meat to that period, where Republic is becoming Empire, and the systems and design aesthetics are crossing over. Imperial troops flying V-Wings might be my fetish.

>Imperial troops flying V-Wings might be my fetish
same here

Comic gets bonus points for twi'lek bondage.

>V-Wings confirmed in Battlefront 2
>They're not useless flying coffins with unusable "shotguns" like in the old game

I love Maul. I love his sassy dialogue, perfect for reading with Witwers voice

>Not Serafinowicz

This ain't TCW/Rebels Maul

Perfect

That nigga is creepy without eyes

In the old BF2 I only really found them useful for bombing the little CIS support cruisers.
Didn't stop me flying them every chance I got.

That issue was one of my favorite issues ever.

Easily become one of my favorite comics, can't wait for the next issue

I'm g2g pick up the kids from school so someone else can storytime poe or wait till I get back.

tfw we couldn't protect that smile...

No problem buddy, we can wait, thanks for the storytimes

thanks user!
you make Sup Forums a little less shitty

>it's a storytime thread

I really hate what TCW did with Maul. Robot legs and kinda going insane. So lame. I like Witwer but his maul voice just sounds like a guy trying as hard as possible to be edgy. The TPM maul was quiet and stoic and dangerous like a panther, the new maul is like an emo school shooter.

He never should have come back, bad decision by Lucas

Witwer has a lot of more subtle and restrained dialogue that sounds exactly like TPM Maul though.

It's just that unlike in TPM, Maul has since been put in positions where he actually has to emote against his enemies. He's no longer just an assassin, he is on a personal vendetta and revenge mission.

TCW actually took great care in recapturing Maul's subtleties in TPM. They even made sure to give him his snarls and little growls, keeping him a very threatening and animalistic character.

Maul always feels like a predator, and that's why he works so well.

TCW has the added bonus of actually showing the extent of Maul's intelligence. He clearly has been trained well, manipulating and uniting the criminal underworld, and he remains very calm and stoic there.

As for Mauls sanity, it was basically in flux. When we first find him in TCW, he is batshit insane, understandably. Mother Talzin restored his sanity, and for the remainder of TCW he is a very intelligent and nihilistic threat. Only against Obi-Wan does he ever truly lose his shit. Then Rebels is, again justifiably, where his sanity starts to waver, and you can see just how bad the life of a Sith has left him.

Also TCW gave us some of the best Maul encounters, like his execution of Pre Visla. 10/10 episode, that.

>He never should have come back, bad decision by Lucas
Also I completely disagree. He came back because he had a story worth telling, one that gave us a compelling and emotional arc for Obi-Wan, Satine, and Maul.

And it paid off beautifully. Some of the best animation and voice work ever displayed in TCW, and the closure in Rebels was absolutely beautiful.

The decision to bring Maul back absolutely did what Lucas intended, to tell a story that was unfortunately missing from the movies, and add to the characters of Obi-Wan and Maul in a way that permanently improved their legacies in the franchise.

However controversial the decision originally was, I think the execution and final result shows that it was completely justified, and a success.

Maul shouldn't be put in situations where he has to emote though, it's just doesn't suit him at all. Maul also doesn't need to be shown to be smart, you get a real sense of his physical intelligence from TPM and you don't really need much more than that.

Also the whole Maul plotline is also something is dislike about TCW, the EU and Star Wars as a whole: When there's ONE cool thing - like Maul or Boba, there HAS to be a WHOLE PLANET of those cool things. There has to be loads of other maul looking guys running around, and he needs a brother whos bigger and stronger than him and also has a lightsaber!!!11.

It bugs me, why can't maul just be a cool quiet, threatening villain who died after underestimating his young jedi opponent who had just lost their master? That's a good story by itself and it doesn't need expanding upon.

Vader looks so done in the third panel

>Vader comic right after ROTS
>No answer for Barriss

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Han Solo is such well known and beloved character it’s easy to see why Lucasfilm / Dinsey wanted to make a young solo movie about him. However, he’s almost too well known and beloved to do anything interesting with. If you push too far and do something that the public and fans doesn’t consider ‘Han-solo-y’ enough with his character you risk alienating and angering your audience, so it makes sense to play it safe - character-wise. On the flip side however, if you stick only to what we already know and love about Han, you also run the risk of ‘flanderising’ his character and making him incredibly one-dimensional. I think this is a major problem and the movie will suffer for it.

A young Lando movie would have made a lot more sense story and character-wise. He has a lot more freedom and a lot of hinted-at but un-shown backstory to explore - and he’s not soo incredibly popular that you can’t do risky and interesting things with the character. Have him meet with Lobot perhaps, who maybe only has one half of his cyborg implants so he’s a lot more human or something. Have Lando bang an alien queen and piss off the locals and have to make an escape. Have something surprising and interesting about the character revealed that adds more depth to his actions in ESB.

Interesting.

So some Jedi didn't participate in the Clone Wars.

>Maul shouldn't be put in situations where he has to emote though
I disagree, that's just incredibly limiting in regards to storytelling.

>there HAS to be a WHOLE PLANET of those cool things.
In regards to Boba (and believe me, I am no Bobafag), there was ALWAYS going to be a planet of Mandalorians. He was described, even in the earliest stages of production, as being a Bounty Hunter who wears Mandalorian Supercommando armor.

His armor was never supposed to be 1-of-a-kind. Lucas got around this by explaining that Boba isn't even a Mandalorian, so technically Boba is still unique, the Mandalorians were always supposed to be a separate faction unrelated to him. And yeah, I know, the Clones.

>There has to be loads of other maul looking guys running around, and he needs a brother whos bigger and stronger than him and also has a lightsaber!!!11.
This was all explained in the show though. It's not that they pulled it out of their ass.

The arc was cleverly constructed so that it could be used as a platform for Ventress to go off on her own. Then Dooku needs a replacement, and they used the introduction of a new villain character as the launchpad to work Maul into the story. Then making Maul come from a tribal family is a no-brainer, just look at the guy.

It was all very fluid and thought-out well. And Maul's relationship with his brother is frankly one of my favorite parts about the character now. It's incredibly subtle throughout the show, and yet it's undeniable that Maul actually did care about Savage. Especially when you see Maul in Rebels.

Also the fight against Sheev is one of the best high-stakes fights in the entire franchise. The visuals were top notch, as was Sheev's cackling, the TPM pottery, and we had no idea if Maul was going to survive the Sheevening.

My only regret is that Son of Dathomir never got animated. Maul confronting Greivous and Dooku personally would have been fucking amazing to see on screen.

Aw man. RIP honorable Trandoshan.

This guy really struggles with vader's helmet

Heed this user's words, for he speaks the truth.

Han Solo works well in a larger universe. For all his comic was enjoyable and well-executed, I find it's a struggle for him to hold the focus of a story on his own compared to, say Leia or Ahsoka.

I'd also unironically flip out with delight if they announced a Lando story.

>In regards to Boba (and believe me, I am no Bobafag), there was ALWAYS going to be a planet of Mandalorians. He was described, even in the earliest stages of production, as being a Bounty Hunter who wears Mandalorian Supercommando armor.

Not true.

The description was that he wore the armor of a group that the Jedi fought during the Clone Wars.

The rest of it was EU. Mandalorians for example first appeared in the Marvel Comics.

The reason the Han Solo movie is happening is because it was Lucas's idea.

Lucasfilm hold that man rightfully in a very high regard.

Lucas was sitting on a Han Solo backstory for years, and he finally wanted to have it made, and on the big screen no less. Before it was floating around as cut content from RotS, and a potential story in the live action tv show that never happened.

So yeah, it might currently feel like a safe-but-limiting idea for a movie, but Lucasfilm clearly has faith that Lucas's Han Solo story is one worth telling. I think that's worth giving the movie a chance.

clearly traced from a helmet.

I like this girl

I don't know what the hell you're on about mate, where do you think the phrase "Mandalorian Supercommando" even comes from?

It wasn't the EU.

Pity she dies next issue.

I think you have your opinion and I have mine, and that's fine. All the stuff you're saying is logical and 100% makes sense.

I think the problem is that while you are trying to justify individual plot points, I on the other hand fundamentally disagree with bringing maul back from the dead and fundamentally disagree with how maul developed as a character - which means we're probably never going to agree

It was a toy description right?

Maul becoming a chatterbox was understandable, but he just went over the top at times. He really should've died not long after RotS. I really didn't like the way he became THAT desperate, especially when trying to recruit someone like Ezra and still trying to get revenge after all that time.

Are you having a laugh m8

Yeah it's just unnecessary and out of character

Then what do we do from here? Proceed to fight a duel of the fates that has lasted millennia?

No, it was first revealed in the ESB Concept Art sketchbook in 1980, in which (from Wikipedia);
>In production for The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston designed armor intended to be worn by soldiers described as supercommandos from the Mandalore system, armed with weapons built into white suits and known for battling the Jedi.

The first Legends comic to introduce Mandalorians (as well as incorrectly include Boba as one of them) came out three years later in 1983