/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #379

Why do we keep doing this to ourselves Edition

You know how this is. Come here to share your webcomic work. Post your progress, be it sketches or finished pages. Give advice. Ignore advice. Praise the nice art and rage at the ideas-only guy. And most importantly, just have fun while following your dreams.

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
clipstudio.net/en/
doubleblade.cfw.me/
tapas.io/series/Double-Blade
twitter.com/spuhmoni
sapromind.deviantart.com/gallery/59894404/The-Frolic
my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-ex-5-compare.html
my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-5-compare.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Previous:

Yay new thread. Good job
have a WIP

Our reign of terror goes unabated.

Those robots look cute, not gonna lie.

Thanks user.

>want to start a simple story just for comfy fun
>at the end it just becomes a huge and complex plot and if you execute it as it is it would become way bigger than what you wanted to start

Has this happened to any of you? How do you deal with it?

I keep saving them up for later and for later I mean that I may never use the idea at all.

WOW'S YOUR WEBCOMIC?

Finish writing it, create a comprehensive and complete story.
Cut it up into chapters / issues / books.
Drop everything else in your life and finish the first chapter / issue / book.
Push it to publishers until it gets picked up.
Get an agent to sell the publishing rights abroad.
Repeat until the story is complete.

worked for me.

Page I'm working on for graphic novel

My comic.

yo this looks p fucking good. where can I find more?

I'm the user who posted about their story about Nova and Mimi in the last thread.

An user offered to RP with me which would be pretty cool. My throwaway email is pillowcaseghost at gmail, if you're here send me an email.

I'm out of town until july 4th but i'll reply to the email just can't rp until after then.

As for the advice on my story

The original idea was Nova was taken from her real parents to be princess, so she doesn't want to be princess because it was a life entirely chosen for her, she wasn't born into it just thrust into it. Mimi is a typical "Shy nobody who turns into strong somebody by the end"

Someone mentioned that just simplifying it so she's a queen's daughter would be better, but I kinda like the origin story i've built for her so far. What if i put this reveal closer to the climax where she doesn't trade places back with Mimi, do you think it could work that way?

The idea right now for what's preventing Mimi from going back is "out of potion ingredients lol" from Nova but that could either be a truth or a convenient lie from Nova since she's not an entirely honest or trustworthy person (So maybe her personal growth for the story could be to go from this kinda shitty person to a real princess type?).

Another idea floating in my head is Mimi becomes princess instead but that seems kinda unrealistic since she'd be abandoning her family to do so.

With these added notes, what are continuing thoughts?

tldr for those who missed last thread
>Nova is a witch, gonna be princess, doesn't wanna be
>Tries to escape through magic portal made with a potion, accidentally brings Mimi (a normal human) into her world instead
>With a spell they agree to switch places so Nova can just relax and be a normal witch for awhile
>Climax happens when Nova doesn't want to switch back and maybe goes through the portal herself to take Mimi's place

Thanks guys. I'm running on little sleep right now, sorry this was long.

Eesh sorry for all the line breaks. my paragraphs looked a lot bigger in the tiny reply window.

I think I asked in the orevious thread, can you give a synopsis of the story and the setting?

I know this has been done to death but screw it, a sci-fi RPG plot.
I'm not really good at writing so I just followed another user's advice to just stick so simple plots.
Here's the twin protagonists. Sorry for the Taglish, too lazy to rewrite it.
Translation:
>"Anyways, we're out of Resal so suck it up, buttercup." " You're an ass, you know that."

>"Ey Mr. Healer man, bring me ur heals." "What corner of hell did you end up in now."

>"Goddamnit, where's our aunt???" "Just take (the hits). I've got plenty of supplies".

Pretty cute.

Looks nice.

I find this usually happens when I unconsciously start getting influenced by other successful stories I like. It's like I want my story to be on par with theirs, but then get lost. That is when I have to dial it down and remember what my story is about (is it plot heavy, character heavy, both), and what genre it's in.

Clip Studio Paint (aka Manga Studio 5), now on sale for up to 60% off, for the next 4 days.

clipstudio.net/en/

Latest page of

doubleblade.cfw.me/
tapas.io/series/Double-Blade

To the guy who asked about how I would implement a game into my comic.

I was thinking 3 optional dungeon crawlers that would feature further information on the world that would be info dumping in a regular narrative. And instead of pokemon like, it's be puzzles and battles like in Golden Sun leading up to a boss battle. I want it to be skipable but fun

fucking awesome m8

Welcome to world building user. You now have many plot threads you can follow up on or simply ignore them and push the story in the direction you want.

>worked for me
What is your story user?

Thanks for sharing!

Making a story about racism/speciesism, only unlike it's popularly displayed in media, this isn't a "they dindu nuffin" story. I feel that shit is dishonest as fuck and ultimately doesn't do us a lot of good in how shallow and coddling it is. So this will be a story about overcoming racism/speciesism when in reality everyone probably should still retain their bias and hatred.

I don't know, I just feel a happy ending to a story in this setting would have a lot more weight and meaning than "you were just ignorant the whole time!" meme zootopia and the like preach.

Have fun, Icarus.

i keep making illustrations for this webcomic i've been trying to write down (for at least 1 year now) and i haven't written down virtually shit. literally got a few ideas for it and how i want the plot to build up and change, but i fucking can't start to write anything down, i've got little to no ideas for the writing at all.

>install wordpress
>it doesn't ask me for user and password
Now I have to use phpmyadmin to see what goddamn user name it used and change the password. Fuck you wordpress.

the end did it for me

it turns out complex plots are comfy

>people can learn to change a little of their views and get along without actually having an unrealistic magical metamorphosis and ignoring everything they've ever seen
so like, where do I give your dad money for raising you right?

Not quite on topic, but anyone hre do that Artsnacks monthly art supply box thing? Normally, I'm not into those blind box subscriptions, but for something like art supplies, it seems like it might be a good way to force yourself to experiment. Is it worth the 24 bucks? Or is it better to just walk into an art supply store with a blindfold and grab a couple things there?

What I usually do is to write the ideas I get as if they were summaries, kinda like what you find on wikis. That is mostly because I write dialogue on the march but it can work for many other methods. It's still a good way to start and later move to actual script writing.

how do i conquer the lazy?

This is what I feel we need more. Good luck on your efforts user

I wouldn't mind doing it if just to try out a blind box. However, I don't find myself needing anything more than what I already have, I think it'd be a waste of money.
The flyer in the box says what the cost of each item is, and it doesn't seem to match up with the price of the box. Makes sense 'cause yeah, company needs to make a profit somehow.

I'd rather just look for really nice art pieces and see if they use any interesting materials, then try using it for myself.

shockingly honest of them
you'd think they'd do things like this by getting overstock and/or bulk discounts, but then tell you the normal retail price of those items so you felt like you were getting a deal

That's sort of what I figured. I impulse bought a month because Artist and Craftsman gave me ten percent off so we'll see. Last year's inktober one looks fun. I think it'd be worth it if they always included a piece of original art, even if it was from some nobody. I'll probably end up canceling after a month or two, but I might grab Inktober standalone since I do love ink.

One day I'll get the hang of my brush pen and make some kind of zen, minimalist comic adaptation of I Am A Cat.

how much do they give you for 25 bucks? because art supplies are pretty damn expensive.. at least at most of the stores i went to

This was March. Looks like if you know what you're doing, you can definitely get better prices. But these are for people that don't know what they're doing. I'd never even think to buy one of those big pencils, so getting the random assortment seems pretty fun to me. I'm still pretty beginner though.

Could you elaborate on this? I can't tell if it's brilliant or retarded, it's pretty vague on what you mean. Are you saying that the stereotypes are true, are you saying that there's a reason for the stereotypes, what're you going for?

Forgot the picture

yeah I don't think that's worth it. i mean it's nice getting a warheads and all...

Sketchbox does that, includes a picture drawn from one of their subscribers. On their website, they detail what's in their premium box, as well as prices, which is worth more than the price of the box
>$40 retail vs $35 box

I have a question.
Would you read a fantasy-comedy that is published and presented as a webcomic but its format being closer to an illustrated serial-novel on a weekly to bi-weekly schedule?
don't worry, I'm not the one who's doing the illustrations

sure. i want more of those anyway

Not sure if this would be the right place but I would like some input on a plot I was working on if that's ok.

yeah we discuss our plots all the time.

>Could you elaborate on this? I can't tell if it's brilliant or retarded, it's pretty vague on what you mean. Are you saying that the stereotypes are true, are you saying that there's a reason for the stereotypes, what're you going for?

Sure, I won't spill particular specifics, but I can give a summery.

>On an alien planet two species co-exist together, but to the detriment of one another (one more to the other's, depending on your point of view)
>it's done to some degree of consent because the alternative is much worse and neither species wants that
>had they not existed in this "relationship", neither species would exist at all today
>neither species particularly likes one another, they just "tolerate" the other, and sometimes not even that

This isn't a matter of stereotypes either, it's a matter of fact: any individual of either species would have to be stupid to not show concern around the other, just due to the happenings of day to day life. I will also be sure to frame it in a way that any viewer to this would also feel the same, regardless of which position/side they put themselves in while reading.
After the initial introduction to what this place is and how it works, I was going to have several stories take place here, basically showing the hardships of life, and small instances where the two species are forced to interact. At the end I wanted to make something sweet with two that make friends. Not because they are unique individuals and/or don't fit their roles in this society, but rather despite all that. Basically show that if someone from each species sits down and actually attempts to connect/talk, they can actually have a conversation and even get along IF they try, even if that doesn't change anything about the world or life they live.

yeah i'm buying you a pizza

Haven't made much progress and I haven't posted in a while but I drew this.

He'd overly muscular but I do think he should be buffed up a bit more in the comics. dude should be built like a gymnast.

Thanks,
So the base setting is middle ages but more fantasy middle ages (medicine isnt as gruesome for example, and beastmen and other humanoid other than regular humans exist).

People are born with something special to them like a skill or an ability (reading a book by touching it, being able to see far away by using grass as a medium). This grows with the person as they get better at it or they gain different things.

People can learn different things by trying what works for them (trial by error) or learning from someone else (even if they are really good it's rather difficult since you have to "feel" it in the right way) or by learning from "imprinting stones" found in the "Grand Dungeon" (which are rather rare and usually dropped by the "boss" of a particular set of floors) in the main capital.

This is the main source of income for the capital either by adventurers wanting to find treasure in the endless dungeon of the capital or "imprinting stones" to sell on for dosh at the markets or with the guild they are with.

So pretty much MC and company travel the world and the dungeon and want to be the best adventurer that ever was.

Haven't gotten much beyond this but this is the main idea anyway

why do you think gymnasts have a buff build?

>middle ages but more fantasy middle ages (medicine isnt as gruesome for example
you could always go further back. medicine in the ancient middle east was leaps and bounds ahead of the cliche dark ages europe bloodletting cliche
That's a fun way to do 'everyone has magic' for sure. does the story ever explore why there's an endless dungeon full of infinite money? and how that would destabilize the economy?

>dark ages meme
opinion discarded

I'm not the guy you're replying to, so don't bully him

I'm acknowledging it's a meme, and 80% of what people repeat isn't accurate.. or wasn't for much of it, or for much of the area.
but the main mistaken in that meme is the idea that the further back you go the more primitive people are, when really it was.. just.. there, and then.
also the typical fedora thing, trying to somehow connect it with religion, when like.. the jews were stupendously advanced. and the romans were no slouches either..

The story does go into it but other than a "it just happened a long time ago" is about what the general populace knows as far as the dungeon is concerned.
It is the main source of income for the capital but trade is still a very lucrative business.
Just because the "Grand Dungeon" is open to everyone willing to pay the fee doesnt mean other nations dont have something like it that is open to everyone, they're just more quiet about it.
Other types of cultures are in it as well other than the standard middle ages stuff: Nomanid tribes, eastern civilisations and others.

it has been done again and again though

Finally done. Got off work early today.

I always come here to butt post

very cool. sounds like a winner

Actually really clever. Tbh I agree senpai. I'm gonna focus on the webcomic, but it'd still be fun.

Could even be an after the fact kind of game that explores the setting in a new story

I don't know many gymnasts to be fair, male or otherwise, but when you see those dudes during the olympics they're pretty big guys.

im out of shape so I'm not the best judge but dudes upper body seems pretty ripped.

this dude as well

though I still drew him terribly off-model.

hmm, he's pretty bulgey for a gymnast, but I think you'd agree he's below the level of a linebacker by far

I'm not trying to be snarky here, why would you think I don't? I said my drawing was overly muscular. But I think a simple google search proves that gymnasts are pretty buff.

I mean, I don't watch a lot of gymnasts, but all the ones I've ever seen (largely from the late 80s and early 90s) were significantly more lithe than this fucker. you can imagine why ropy muscle would be more useful for gymnastics

I have an idea for a story.

It's about a main character who learns to let go of cartoons as a coping mechanism, and instead uses cartoons as an inspiration to create original stories and comics. The main character learns to embrace the real world and to take control over their life, after being confronted by their childhood cartoon crush in a dream. My hope is that it will have the feeling of an intervention, while having the feeling of getting to know a personal hero, someone that was once over-idealized who slowly becomes more and more human as the story goes on.

It's an idea that's close to my heart, so the only thing stopping me from going farther than just sketching characters, has been the fear of poor execution. If done well, I hope the idea will resonate with some people. If done poorly, it might leave the impression of poor marysue tumblr nonsense.

Is this a story that people would want to read? Would this idea resonate with anyone?

I'm starting to draw the first official panels for the opening

I -think- these are okay enough

how would either of those concepts work? using cartoons as a coping mechanism? using them to embrace the real world and take control of your life? what even is that?
The only part of that I understood was using them as inspiration to make original stories and comics.. I'd like a comic about making comics! It sounds cliche but I can't actually think of one

I might revise the second half of the current kind of story board to make it more animated.

I want a way to have the protag chase an animal, while presenting him as being really good at hunting (if he just misses the shot then it would make him look kind of dumb.)

Ooooh that's cool. well in my experience, spiders hunt in a pretty staccato manner. rapid movement punctuated by total stillness. That.. would probably be hard to depict in a comic. Maybe a panel repeated a few times, showing him still, then another where he's just gone

decided to drop my narrative driven comic and create my own top notch life sux lmao comic.
shoutout to my friends, my dog, my cat, and my family except my weird uncle

Good point!
Maybe the creature could notice and bolt -just- before getting shot

srry took so long to respond lol
twitter.com/spuhmoni
That were i post some stuff, the patreon is where i put most of it but there are pages not up cause it's a graphic novel not a webcomic

story is a girl who knows what she wants to do in life, but feels stuck because the process is a drag and monotonous at times
Some of my personal experience with art school and the bullshit of it
Other part is being friends with people in a drug/alcohol lifestyle and the waking up partying and sleeping cycle that you need to distance from to grow (not so much her but the environment with her roommates)

It's is humor based though, and just touches on a few little relatable and sometimes serious things that happen in life (sex, substance, school)
Sort of a coming of age story when you in the age of cumming (mid-20's)

>age of cumming (mid-20's)
fuck, that's about the age i realized I couldn't shoot across a room anymore, and was lucky to make it a few inches.

>clipstudio.net/en/

Oh nice.
Best would be to go for the EX version I guess but sadly I don't have that much money right now, so I guess I will set for the Pro standard version. It still has more than enough of what I would need anyway.

I posted this a month ago on dA and:

Stats
Views 14
Favourites 0
Comments 0
Downloads 0

This site surely knows how to cheer people up (and I thought I came up with a pretty funny dialogue). If anyone gives a shit, here's what I have so far:
sapromind.deviantart.com/gallery/59894404/The-Frolic

DA is not really the best place for this kind of stuff. You may have better chances on tumblr or a webcomic hosting site.

Sorry, I realize now that it came out a bit jumbled.

I think everyone has to overcome their own personal struggles. While I think most people try to face the problem head on, some might ignore the problem by getting indulged in a hobby. If it goes unchecked however, a hobby could turn into an obsession.

I think there are a lot of people out there who like to watch cartoons or movies as a form of escapism. It can make people feel better. But I think that cartoons and movies should be treated, not as an escape from reality, but as a way to learn how to cope with reality. I don't think people should ignore their problems. I think they should take in the life lessons cartoons can teach us, and apply them to become stronger individuals.

I want to create a comic that teaches people to face their fears. I want to take a main character who is afraid to live their life (someone who escapes through cartoons), and change them into a character that will be proactive in achieving their personal goals. I want this character to let their love for storytelling and 3-dimensional characters be shown through creating comics of their own, as opposed to indulging in a story someone else created.

do you make lots of comment son other peoples' shit? that, plus a neat username and/or icon, is what gets me to go check out your shit.

Don't use dA. It is for retarded Sonic OC autists.

Oh, I see. I guess I just totally disagree with you, but that last bit sounds good.

I have just heard of tapas, is it any good? Or maybe some other webcomic sites that you could recommend?
It's sad cause I do. I do comment, give faves etc.
Unfortunately this is the impression I'm getting after browsing everyday.

Tapas is decent. The layout is not the best but that is any person's own preference I think.

Use a normal hosting site meant for hosting comics.
Anyway your comic looks a little dry and the style's... mild? Dunno what else to call it, but it's not going to draw a ton of people in the way familiar fanart does. That's just our nature. If you wanna get viewers, you're going to have to find a way to make it quickly clear what makes it special. If it's drama or something, maybe find a snippet of dialogue that sums up what it's about and .. uh.. put it.. somewhere

>I think there are a lot of people out there who like to watch cartoons or movies as a form of escapism.
>Oh, I see. I guess I just totally disagree with you

CSP Pro is fine if you don't mind working with one page at a time, or for very short animations.
If you're serious about wanting to work on multi-page comics, or long animations, then consider going for EX. Sales come round every few months anyway, so save up and keep an eye out for the next one.

Version comparison chart:
my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-ex-5-compare.html

So the bit about a main character making a comic?

Actually, this is a better feature comparison list:
my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-5-compare.html

Hey Lucy, do you have any more work to toss up on here?

I meant I disagree on your insinuation that that's a bad thing.

>I think there are a lot of people out there who like to watch cartoons or movies as a form of escapism.
>I guess I just totally disagree with you

Then why are you here user?

We do need more like that. Oh, there's meta comics, sure, but it's rare that making-the-comic is actually part of the plot, rather than something where you're perpetually let in behind the scenes because the comic is about itself.

did you just ignore the rest of the post, or..

Those lists were quite helpful, thanks user.

At first I thought it would be ok to just buy Pro and later on upgrade to EX if I felt like using the other features but upgrading costs the same as if I bought it on discount in the first place so I will wait and just try the trial version for now just to get used to it. I have been using Photoshop for now (Kyle's brushes are really nice) so until then I will still use it.