Is it true Sup Forums? Are manga viewed better than comics?

Is it true Sup Forums? Are manga viewed better than comics?
quora.com/Why-is-manga-viewed-as-better-than-comics/

While otakus are seen as the lowest of the lowest Manga and anime are seen as varied enough to give the benefit of the doubt at anyone who likes them and isnt an otaku, comics on the other hand are too "capeshit" in the hands of normal people so anyone who likes them is viewed as a manchild.

Is that simple, Both are shit.

A larger market, more genre diversity (and more sustainable genre diversity), more cultural acceptance, more creative freedom.

Not really no. Maybe on the internet but definitely not in person. I could tell everyone and their mothers that I read comics. I don't think I ever really want to tell anyone of the mangas I have read.

>opinions are facts

Manga has the advantage of not being locked into one genre for a good chunk of its history and a lot of stuff is still sold in general interest stores instead of hobby shops.

>more genre diversity
>more cultural acceptance
>more creative freedom
manga has half of the story already scripted before it's created with all the cliches and deres there exist

>manga has half of the story already scripted before it's created with all the cliches and deres there exist
How is that any different than capeshit?

because capeshit readers are teenagers or just normal people, but people who read cliched nipshit are basement dwelling losers with waifu pillows

Honestly, it's the other way around in the west.

>Are manga viewed better than comics?

No.

That's why comics get multibillion dollar movies and are used as a vetting ground for future blockbusters, and mangas just get some seriously BAD adaptions. Captain America is viewed better in media than Naruto is.

And that's why i named Otakus as a different thing. But then again, you read capeshit so you probably lack reading comprehension skills. Shonen and Capeshit are equally shitty, manga big selling point among normies is that isnt all shonen

I'd say that on average the quality of manga and comics are the same.

The difference comes from the fact that each manga being separate and generally the work of a single author means that it has a much greater variation from the mean. With manga you can read only high-quality ones that appeal to your interests while with comics even the good writers are eventually hamstrung by dumb event crossovers and editorial mandates.

Think about the enduring comic successes: Watchmen, All-Star Superman, Hellboy, The Dark Knight Returns... Almost all of them are single-author works coming from outside the main continuity.

Going by purely online notoriety and from the top of my head

1. Anime is extremely popular on the internet and a good chunk of it is adapted from a manga. Said adaptations tend to be more strict compared to comic adaptations.
2. People assume Western Comic=Cape Comic and when they don't assume that, they assume the rest of the medium is edge crap with bad art or stale newspaper strip stuff
3. People find it hard to get into cape and are unaware that you're not required to keep up with continuity and that you can simply stop when the writer you prefer has finished their run.
4. Comics are easier to cherrypick flaws from considering people post stuff out of context or from a notorious series and how that spreads into people assuming that's all there is to the medium (I've seen people saying they're glad that they never got into comics and never will because they literally assume the whole medium is Marvel's recent bullcrap which in itself is also cherrypicked, you don't see people talking about King's Vision or the recent Nova run instead you see people complaining about a three year old page from Whor)
5. Comics in America had a downfall during the 90's and the traditional floppy market is isolated to hobby shops while you can buy manga at a normal book store. One Piece alone sells more than Marvel and DC's recent published works combined.
6. Anime and manga communities are stronger and more vocal.

Yeah. It obviously happens all the time with imports. When you only get the cream of the crop it's going to create a skewed view of any foreign art form.

Same reason why European comics are seen as qualitatively better.

More creative freedom, more narrative space, a wider range of story tones allowed, less moralistic bullshit allowing for sensuality, or even eroticism.

different authors don't make different stories then you have 1000 fuckers writing their own cgdct everyone the same as the other one

t. Capeshitter. What's manga equivalent of Alternative Comics then?

>Poisoning the well
This argument was rigged from the start

Gekiga.

Why do people on this fucking board of all places equate comics with just capeshit? Like are you seriously that dumb, cartoonshitters or just crossboarders shitposting? American comics is varied. There's stuff for kids, then there's capeshit, then mainstream genre fiction, alternative comics, OGN that are self published. I assumed this of all places would actually be a little bit educated about the things they consume on daily basis.

Alternative manga you dumb fuck.

Or because Mangas can make millions in sales, unlike capeshit, where you are lucky to have 70.000 issues sold.

It is in a way but Gekiga authors don't even want to associate themselves with manga fiction. While Alternative Comics author can be a pretentious bunch and would rather themselves be referred to as cartoonists, they're not pretending they're not writing comics.

Because you liking it or not, capeshit from the big 2 is like 70% of the medium on USA, and anything from Europe is barely discussed here.

Whenever people online talk about comics online, it's always just panels and they work like a fad with no one actually reading the book.
Take Flintstones by Mark Russell as an example.
Knowyourmeme went nuts when a few distinct panels (especially the one about marriage) were posted and discussion about it spread how this "edgy" Flintstones comic where people resemble Jojo characters (they actually compared the art to it) was actually good.
However over time they forgot about it, stopped raving about it, and nobody even gave a shit when it ended.
That Spongebob panel about the industry made news across discussion sites but still nobody gave a shit about the book in the end of the day.
Despite any sort of internet publicity it got, it still flopped.
The other only thing people talk about western comics online about are usually headlines about some "controversy" or how Marvel does a new legacy character. I've seen people act genuinely angry when Green Arrow spouted leftist stuff when he's always been a leftist. The only place I know that celebrated DC Rebirth here is Sup Forums, the only place I know that talked about The Goon here is Sup Forums, the only place I know that talked about Cerebus is Sup Forums, etc.

>capeshit from the big 2 is like 70% of the medium on USA
A big portion of Manga's market is shonen.
This is retarded argument, capeshit isn't whole of comics same way shonen shit isn't whole of manga. Even an average faggot lurking here knows comics are more than cape or even Image, even if they only read capeshit.

It is definitely true. I don't think there's any where near a solid argument to the negative.

>he says posting ouiaboo shit
Ankama loves there jap shit. You clearly have little idea what you're talking about.

How is it true though? Because you've only read best of Manga? On the whole quality is very much about the same.

I think most Manga is much more linear and easier story to follow while western comics seem to have webbed out is different formes such as alt universes and different variations.

Simple example: There is only one Naruto, Luffy, Goku, etc among their worlds and never really diverge or cross while there are different versions of Superman, Captain America, Batman, etc spread into multiverses and/or telling their own stories that may or may not interlink along the way.

Not that neither are bad but I can see people feeling overwelmed getting all caught up and familar with all the different stuff comics. Especially if some hold some connections to another and might put somebody at a loss unless they read an earlier work. Might be more to that and be glad to have others add onto it but that's my basic gist from what I've seen so far.

Pretty much this.

Not to mention majority of series are written by one guy which results in more passionate and consistent work as opposed to "Hi I'm the 465th guy who worked on Spider-man. Also Spider-man is black now!"

Well consider it this way. I've read the best of manga (not really there's always something cool to read that's old and you didn't know about or new and up and coming) and I've read the best comic (closer to fact but not true) not only is there more 'best-of-the-best' in manga in terms of shear volume but the 'best's are all really different and interesting.
I don't know what you would consider the best comics but even including indi stuff like Atomic Robo, Orc stain, MMO or Skeleton Jelly there's really fuck all range.

Manga is far more experimental.
Usually being both written and drawn by one guy, they're easier to make so manga publishers aren't as afraid to take risks.

It's just like how arthousefags love foreign films, even the ones that were viewed as schlock in their home country. Those people always love shit from other countries regardless of content.

Most manga don't have villains like the Gentry and the like, so the point is moot

Like anime, manga is taken far more seriously than it's western counter part, therefore:

There are more creators
There are more things being published
There are more demographics it tries to reach out to (and it doesn't do this by shitting on old stuff, but by simply creating new stuff)

Neither do most comics, so it's really moot point

>manga has half of the story already scripted before it's created with all the cliches and deres there exist

That's why manga is easier to get into. Usually, a series is a stand alone story where the characters and their arcs end when the manga does. Whereas we've had characters' stories continue for decades in comics.

Can't help you if you only read Naruto or some shit, fags.

>I've read the best comic
That would be?
>not only is there more 'best-of-the-best' in manga in terms of shear volume but the 'best's are all really different and interesting.
No, if you're talking print only, the best (most popular) of the manga ever makes across. If you are talking about scanlation and reading online, from absolutely popular to absolutely dogshit is getting scanlated. The sheer ratio of good to shit is hilarious to look at.
>I don't know what you would consider the best comics but even including indi stuff like Atomic Robo, Orc stain, MMO or Skeleton Jelly there's really fuck all range.
Have you tried reading not just American mainstream genre shit?

He's not wrong.

>Whereas we've had characters' stories continue for decades in comics.
Only if you read capeshit.

Capeshit is 80% of the medium on USA.

Hell, at least with shonen you have multiple different things, like shows about cooking, shows about fighting and so.

Or pulp. Or euro-comix.

Doujinshi

Shonen is a demographic, it varies widly in genre.

>if Hollywood doesn't adapt my favorite thing, it's shit
nice to know you need a movie to validate your obsession with an action figure

>claims I've read the best quality manga
>I reassert then that I must have read the best quality comics
>w-w-which ones
Then suck my nuts and lets not pretend either of us have read 'the best' shit. Note how I put it all in quotes for sarcastic disinterest.

As for manga I read scanlated.
>the shear ration of good to shit is hilarious
It's better than comics. Marvel is dogshit right now and DC has decided to return to the classic states for a lot of stories which is good but just rehashing shit. There's not only more manga but the amount of manga releasing currently that is good is larger than the amount of comics releasing that are good. Ratios aside you cannot argue that book for book comics can compete.
>mmo is american genre shit
Yeah I've read some french and other euro comics but they're less common and, as the issue is with manga, requiring translation.

So what's your point? I cannot see how you could POSSIBLY defend comics with a open mind. They're just worse off and manga makes anime look like shit, which is another large avenue of animated media. Unless you're actually reading decent books and literature Manga is the peak, better than t.v, better than anime, better than cartoons, better than comics.

This is true. Liking comics is an American pasttime especially with the success of all these shitty movies. I don't think manga is seen as particularly bad either but I think it is considered a bit more nerdy.

They are basically equal in certain aspects. They both have strengths that are also their flaws.

Manga has a large audience in Japan, so it's a lot easier to get a large variety of material out. The problem is since there is so much manga you get a lot of people copying big trends in style or content over and over to the point of it becoming most appropriately described as inbred. Still, there is great stuff out there. Either totally cancelled or on hiatus....

Western comics on the other hand, in America specifically, have a lot less leniency. Where Japan suffers over-saturation, America suffers a small domination. Audience not nearly as large as manga. Comics also largely dominated by the superhero community, in terms of funding and production costs.

If we compare the cream of the crop from both, the quality is equal. But as a percentage America has more good quality comics than Japan. Mostly on the premise that Japan publishes a LOT of manga. I'd also say that in terms of percentage of how many are good out of the amount published, Europe wins! There is a lot of liberty in the Franco-Belgian comics market. A lot of good quality stuff is published often, not ALL of it mind you. And personally I prefer American comics over all. But Europe is consistent.