How does Shazam work?

Who does Billy turn into? At first I thought it was a older version of himself but Captain Marvel has different color eyes. Also Black Adam is a completely different person than the old man.

The Shazam kids all just seem to be older more fit versions of themselves though.

So does it make you a better version of yourself or turn you into a specific god?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/laEGjdgtZSQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Captain Marvel

But she's from Marvel.

Who is Captain Marvel? Was he a god that existed before or is he Billy's imagination?

>The Shazam kids all just seem to be older more fit versions of themselves though.
Isnt there a version of them where they all just change into the one combined shazam

Different versions.

Originally Captain Marvel was a separate entity who Billy summoned using the word. They used this to do secret Santa with each other once.

Then it was just Billy in an older body, but the magic turns him into pretty much a carbon copy of his dad's body. IIRC that's due to that being Billy's idea of a hero.

Yeah in flashpoint
Oh okay thank you, that is what I was looking for
>but the magic turns him into pretty much a carbon copy of his dad's body
I like this idea

Captain marvel you casual nigger

>they used this to do secret santa once

What a cool guy.

No, original was a different persona, post crisis was an adult version of himself with adult wisdom, and Johns terrible versions are just a boy with an adult body, he just happens to look like his dad

Was the Darkseid War Shazam tie in good?
That was the last time anyone saw Captain Marvel, right?

He literally is Billy a few years from now

>and Johns terrible versions are just a boy with an adult body, he just happens to look like his dad

Lumped that in with the second one because that explains why the Thunder Kids are all various ages when transformed. Darla still sees herself like a kid, so she is - Mary is more mature, so she's aged up and etc.

I know it's not canon but in Injustice Billy talks to captain Marvel to hear his perspective on the insurgency which I thought was pretty neat

>They used this to do secret Santa with each other once

Goddamn that is so cute. DC needs to start putting out Golden Age collections like they've been doing for The Trinity

He's literally Billy's dad.

When he first transforms in Fawcett City, people mistake him for Billy's father.

He is a state of being, the ultimate version of someone

Well since we have a nice Shazam thread going, why is it that Adam or Billy going "SHAZAM" only affects them sometimes? As in sometimes it tranforms them and other times it's just a big ass bolt of lightning. Is that something they can choose to do or is it just plot armor?

The lightning transforms them when it hits them. If it doesn't hit them, they can use it offensively.

Give some context cus if your talking about the shazam spam move where they grab someone and scream shazam, i think its a case of the lightning hitting a being capable of stopping its flow

The lightning bolt is the force that their magic manifests itself in to transform them

If something else is in the way of the lightning before the bolt strikes Billy or the others then its a force of destruction.

Johns changed it so that they can also do magic with it

>Context
I was meaning stuff like this:
youtu.be/laEGjdgtZSQ
At 2:15 or in the Injustice games where Adam can call down the SHAZAM bolt onto himself and not be affected, behind him, or in front of him in his Super or mid and end-round taunts. But I suppose it's like this user
said, being that they can just magic it up and use it how they please.

Yeah, they're really fun stories too. I go back to them pretty often.

There needs to be intent behind the word, saying SHAZAM is basically focusing the living lightning for what you want it to do

Alright thanks. That makes a lot more sense.
And that. That is fucking amazing and just gave me a whole new level of respect and love for this character.

Didn't Kingdom Come establish that older Billy looks exactly like Captain Marvel?

It's a somewhat new aspect for the character, we're not totally sure it's going to stick around. I certainly hope it does.

It's funny how Geoff's Cap is much better when he's not in the Curse of Shazam story. It's a decent comic, but it was clearly marketed towards movie execs. The ping pong table and his banter with Cyborg is great.

Whats wrong with Curse of Shazam?

What happens if Billy's' lightning bolt hits Black Adam? Or Adam's lightning bolt hits Billy? Are they transformed?

What happens if they summon the lightning while inside or in outer space?

Billy stopped transforming back to Billy in Kingdom Come.

It was a prologue that took too long to get off the ground, and it never got a follow up. It didn't use the format very well I think, so the pacing only works when you read it all at once as one big issue. As a story, it's fun! But Gary Frank's masterful illustrations aside, it's not great as a comic.
That said, if it had seriously just kept going in its own title, I think it would have been something really fantastic.

Billy Batson's lightning was incredibly inconsistent so you'd have to be more specific on when this question would be raised and in what context. Hell, there's a story where Zeus gets a sore arm and accidentally keeps turning the wrong people into Captain Marvel. It's never been a series about logical scientific rules, and magic in DC especially never abides by that.

Well thankfully you can now buy Curse of Shazam as a single volume instead of reading the ass end of Justice League. The biggest disappointment for me was no Mister Mind after that tease

No, he had stopped transforming into captain marvel

I am super sick of Mr. Mind, every time they do anything with Captain Marvel it's gotta be Mr. Mind behind everything. There's so many more villains than Black Adam, Sivana and Mr. Mind that could be updated and used.

No Billy has been brainwashed by Luthor to be afraid of becoming Shazam. He doesn't transform until right at the end

>The Shazam kids

Nevermind.

It's just badly written Cereal King fan fiction and should be ignored as the shitty canon that it is.

I kinda like the Shazam kids

The idea of each kid having more access to one of the six godly powers is pretty cool

It's literally a movie pitch.

This is not a meme literally use, but the truth. One of the reasons he won't get rebirthed and didn't got a sequel is Johns hopes that will be the base for the future movie so he can get royalties

They don't have gods you Dumb dumb.

>Was the Darkseid War Shazam tie in good?
It was fucking great and I'd kill to get a decent length arc with that set of gods.
I still can't decide if it or Tom King's Green Lantern was better.

And that is a retcon. Before that issue he didn't had gods, and there's no sign the diversity kids have it either.

Worst Sivana.

>Who does Billy turn into?

Kazam

It's just Johns going bald m8. Thankfully he got over that after the hairplugs.

All these questions could be answered if you read more comics