Could Batman catch Light before Light figured out he's Bruce Wayne and kills him?

Could Batman catch Light before Light figured out he's Bruce Wayne and kills him?

kira could simply write that the president issued an order to kill batman before committing suicide

Death Note won't kill an additional person whose true name isn't written down under any circumstances, even accidental. It's magic so those are just the rules.
If he wrote down what you said the Prez would just get a heart attack.

Is Light in his highschool student stage or working professional police team member phase?
Also are they both in Japan or Gotham or each in their respective countries?
I don't recall them ever even establishing Light can speak English as well.

This Mello even acknowledge he tested this and knew it wouldn't work when he bluffed and threaten to control the president and cause ww3.

Light could use Two-Face to break the Bat. Two-Face is a widely known public figure and criminal, so he fits the criteria in that Light could easily find out his true name and he has committed acts that Light would kill for.

From there he could write something like, "Harvey Dent orders his henchmen to livestream him unmasking Batman and is then killed in an accident" and as long as Light is watching the livestream he would see Bruce Wayne, who is also a well-known public figure so from then on it's good night to the dark knight.

Yes he could and would

That's not how the Death Note works and there's a whole segment of Light testing his powers on criminals in prison while explaining this.

But if this was the DC world Superman could just hear Light speerging out loud in his room and catch him, or ask John, Fate or Deadman to check on with ghosts who Kira is.

Also, is kand a funny to thing that Light still couldn't kill the Joker

His name is joe kerr

>I don't recall them ever even establishing Light can speak English as well.
Literally the first episode.

Depends on the writer really.

In the Harley Quinn pages drawn by Timm, she and the Joker commited a "perfect" robbery, but she dropped a brand new jacket on accident, Batman found them the very minute they arrived to their new lair.

Batman could find him, but Kira's elusiveness came from his father being chief of the police force, so this kira would be Gordon Jr. in that case, it would be an easy find for Batman; he'd be one of the prime suspects fast.

If, however, there were a Misa Amane, things could be a bit tougher, but Batman would most likely be hiding and not to be seen under daylight. I'd go for Batman definitively.

If Thomas Wayne Batman from Earth 3 went after Light and Light found out his name and face would the Death Note work or not due to Earth 0's Thomas Wayne already being dead?

Light is fucking retarded. Of course Batman could find him before he dies.

Light can read English (because that's the language Ryuk wrote the rules in). Presumably he can speak it as well.

The death note rules are written in English you mong

Let's have it like the Infinity Gauntlets and kryptonite: they only work within their respective universe; but magic has been shown to be transfuniversal so who knows, remember that not only you must know the name, but know the face of the person you want dead, as to not kill people with the same name.

Yes, because Light is a fucking moron.

You know, lately when some animemer asks me about Death Note, I usually respond "thinking about it, if Light was one of the smartest and most gifted young men in Japan, people must be fucking dumbasses".

>From there he could write something like, "Harvey Dent orders his henchmen to livestream him unmasking Batman and is then killed in an accident" and as long as Light is watching the livestream he would see Bruce Wayne, who is also a well-known public figure so from then on it's good night to the dark knight.
See, now that's where it gets tricky.
Either this situation is possible at the time and happens as you've described it or it isn't possible at the time and Dent just dies of a eart attack.
Say Bruce Wayne has fucked off to Japan to look into Light, then there's no way Two Face, in Gotham, could do it.
But, in that happening, Light would then reasonably suspect the high profile, rich, white guy who had just come to Japan to help fund the Japanese police search.
At the same time, Bruce would have Dick or someone else running around as Batman in Gotham leading Light to consider Bruce as someone who just helps Batman, etc.

Gotta take all the keikaku-ing into account.

Misa is irrelevant. The shindigs I eyes only work if the face is unobscured. And Batman is wearing a mask

OH right I forgot about that; damn then Light barely has any chance, the only thing he could do is grab random people from the street and turn them into multiple suicide bombers or something.

Bruce would probably start working with Batman of Japan, a Batman Inc connection, after the deaths started, who Light could probably begin his investigation by looking into.

>The shindigs I eyes only work if the face is unobscured
Only if certain parts of the face are uncovered.
You can get by with just most of the face, but Batman conveniently already has the correct covering to prevent the shinigami eyes from working on him.
However, if he was sufficiently fucked by the Joker/Bane/whomever to the point that a lot of his mask was damaged on live television, then they would work and his name could be found.

If you bare with me, I'm sure I have the image that shows this off.

I might be misremembering, but I think one of the rules is that the death of the person can't also cause the death of others. Same rationale why you couldn't use the death note to force the president to launch a bunch of nukes.

Joseph P. Kerr.

How many tennis games would it take L to figure out Bruce is Batman?

>Fucking around with death spirits and killing people with a magic book

He has all of 3 seconds before Dr. Fate teleports in and LORDS OF ORDER'S him AND Ryuk.

Even when he figures out he's Bruce Wayne and knows his face, he wouldn't be able to kill him. Bruce Wayne is the disguise. He is Batman and his mask his is real face. Light would be distraught when he learned how easy it would have been to kill him, but by then it would be too late and Batman would already have defeated him.

>Dr Fate
>giving a shit about some murders

That is what Misa was for. She has the eyes remember?

Batman is high profile enough that, if Kira regards Batman as an actual entity and not as an urban legend, he could make pretty reasonable assumptions to get the circumstances just right. Batman mainly operates at night. Batman almost always appears when the freaks do. Batman is extremely territorial, mainly operating inside of Gotham City and shunning the help of outside supers.

It's not that difficult to manipulate Batman into being in Gotham, and Batman's villains have put him in enough compromising situations that it isn't outside the realm of possibility that Two-Face can get Batman tied up in a shark tank or something.

Besides, thinking about it, even if the Two-Face ploy fails, it's not like Light couldn't use other villains like Penguin, Ivy, Catwoman...every Batman villain has a public identity besides Joker.

And, when you think about it, Bruce Wayne has much less safeguards against people finding out his identity than L did.

Only way I see Batman not dying to Kira is if Clark intervenes quickly enough or Batman gets the jump on Light

Batman is his real name, Bruce Wayne is just the cover identity.
I am willing to bet if Light wrote Batman in the Death Note, it would kill him.

Just thought of something...

What would Wonder Woman's "true name" be, in order to be written into the death note?

Diana? Diana Prince?

Also, what about superman?

Would it be "Clark Kent" or "Kal El"?

On side a note, which name would he have to use to kill Superman, Clark Kent or Kal-El?

Wouldn't Kira have already murdered pretty much every super villain by the time he got to Batman? Seems like the first people he would target, given he started out with high profile criminals.

That's a good one, actually. I'm willing to bet for Clark it would be Kal El since the rules seem to go off of birth name.

5 minutes too late. It would kill him, but Light wouldn't even try just writing Batman and imagining Bruce's "masked" face. Like I said above here it would piss him off to know how easy it would have been, after he worked so hard to figure out he needed to kill Bruce Wayne, who is merely Batman's mask.

He'd have to write down Superman

Superman would be incredibly easy to kill, provided shinigami magic works on Kryptonians, which it presumably would.

That's a possibility, yes, but in a world where both Batman and Kira exist it's likely that he might focus on eliminating Batman as a threat because of his detective skills. He's not exactly as obscure as L was.

Also technically even without the detective angle Batman is a vigilante. Kira might just consider him to be a criminal and target him anyways.

Eh, isn't Kira a vigilante too?

Would the death note work on people like Clayface?

You think you could fool the world's greatest detective?

Could the Deathnote work on Manhattan? Dude still has a soul right?

Wouldn't it be the name you most identify with? Like, what if you got amnesia and forgot your real name?

In theory. But he's have to make Clark do something like eat kryptonite. A regular heart attack won't work.

I doubt it would work on Wonder Woman (she's usually touching her lasso at her side), Martian Manhunter (his brain is too complex), or Captain Marvel (Wisdom of Solomon).

Does the death note even work on chimps?

Nah, he's God, remember?
But yes, just a magic one.

Not so, Clark has the advantage of super hearing as pointed out eariler in the thread so if Kira were operating there's a high chance that, if Clark suspected that something like the Death Note was in play, he would use super speed and just snatch the Death Note from Kira.

I think Light could reasonably put two and two together and realize that Clark Kent is Superman, if he sees photos of the two and this isn't under the rule where Superman vibrates his head ever so slightly to throw off any onlookers from realizing his secret identity. I'm not sure that Light could then find out that Clark Kent is truly Kal El without some digging, since that's not exactly common knowledge, is it?

It'd probably be Jason Todd logic where Kira thinks that Batman only makes Gotham worse by not killing such horrible people

clayface has a heart...right?
regardless, the death note can specify deaths, so he`s probably fucked.

>Implyng Misa woudn't have a way bigger list of options to lust after in a world full of insane edgelords and go full Harley on the Joker instead of Light

He's have to use Superman's true name. Which is tricky because as Action Comics showed its both Clark Kent AND Kal-El.

If it's the name you most identify with, then wouldn't Light have just had to write "L" in the Death Note to kill him, or write "Near" to kill Near?

Souls don't exist, dumbass.

>I don't recall them ever even establishing Light can speak English as well.
Wouldnt this come with the whole "genius" thing?

It definitely does in the DC universe

...Does he?

What exactly would you do to kill Clayface though?

But those were aliases. They didn't consider "themselves" L or Near.

Didn't stop him before, why would it now?

>But he's have to make Clark do something like eat kryptonite.
I really doubt that.
>A regular heart attack won't work.
It'd be a Kryptonian heart attack.
>(she's usually touching her lasso at her side)
What does that even mean?
>(his brain is too complex)
It's got nothing to do with his brain, it's magic death.
If other sapient races existed, I'm sure the Death Note would find a different default death for them, like how a heart attack is ours.
Simple and effective.
>(Wisdom of Solomon)
Still not sure what you're getting at.
These powers don't stop death from the power of a death god.

Light didn't target people who were legitimately trying to do good unless they were after him.

He also didn't target criminals who felt remorse and were trying to repent.
That's also one of those plot points L used to deduce that there was someone else killing people when Light erased his own memories of being Kira. The corporate suit with the Death Note was just indiscriminately going down a list of criminals to keep up appearances as he also off'd his corporate rivals.

Light would first have to do something to bring Batman's attention onto himself for this scenario to even begin, so unless Batman suddenly found most of Arkham dead, he wouldn't be involved in any of the Kira shit.

You might as well just give the Joker a Death Note and see in what ways he'd have people kill themselves.

I think it would be more interesting if the Question went after him. Like no one believes his theory about a teen using a notebook to kill people so he has to catch him on his own before Kria does irreversible damage to the DC universe

Would he have to write Kal-El in Kryptonian?

>Joker
>killing people the easy way

I don't know if he would, but then again Emperor Joker was a thing.

You would just make him jump into something acidic and let him fully dissolve.
And pray he doesn`t come out as another Joker/Creeper

nuh uh

Reminder of the death note rules

>The HUMAN whose name you write in this book shall die

Superman is an alien

Wonder Woman is a golem/Amazon

Martian manhunter is an alien

Kira is fucked

>What exactly would you do to kill Clayface though?
I think this brings up a good point.
DC has a lot of different races/meta human and all that who don't have a heart/can't have a heart attack/whatever, so the magic book would probably just give them some kind of default natural cause death.
I mean, it is magic.

I'm going to be fair here, i think this is more of a underground magic department, i picture John discovering Light and winning against him, since his super-power is pulling shit out of his ass to scape death

Well, we never did learn either of their names, did we? But you could make the argument that they'd identified as L or Near since childhood, since the names seem to have been assigned at the orphanage where they grew up. At what point does an alias become your true name?

Though I do wonder, now that I think about it I don't believe they dealt well with like....what about those who legally change their name long after their birth? Surely some of the criminals Kira murdered had to have had their names changed. What about married women? Does it work off maiden name or married name? If we knew that, then we could definitively determine whether a birth name is absolutely required or not.

>And pray he doesn`t come out as another Joker/Creeper
Well he couldn't.
If the suicide scenario written works, then the person is dead dead.
If said suicide wouldn't work, they'll just default to a heart attack.
If the name is written, they're dead and nothing can change that.

If you hate souls so much, why you made a world where they are real?

Just imagine the pages and pages of stuff he'd write detailing just one random person's death into such a way that he would find funny.

Or he could just burn the Death Note, or try to kill a death god since killing a god of death could be funny.

Or none of the above, the Joker is a wild card.

>Kryptonian heart attack

Which would instantly restart because its a kryptonian heart powered by solar cells.

>What does that even mean?

The lasso has been shown to break all sorts of mind control and compulsion in the past from magic to super-science.

It's even worked on Anti-Life.

>Brain is too complex

He has back up personalities inside himself that would kick in like that time he regenerated from a hand. He's also Plastic-Man level durable. Having him throw himself into a black hole might work though

>Still not sure what you're getting at

Wisdom of Solomon guarantees he always thinks clearly. And I doubt Ryuk's magic supersedes Shazam's. He also has to deal with the Power of Zeus and Courage of Achilles.

Also in some continuities Marvel is a separate entity from Billy. So if the book could effect them (I doubt it. He's literally made out of magic) he'd have to get both their names.

L pretty much knew it was Light right away but could never prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Assuming Batman's on the same level of detective prowess he'd have a hunch almost immediately and unlike L operates outside the law to an extent and would have an easier time of finding out it was Light by just straight up breaking into his house for evidence. Now Light's booby-trapped dresser drawer comes into play here; Bruce could easily burn Light's house down looking for evidence.

It would probably end with Light baffled at how he lost then John tossing Ryuku a fancy British golden apple or something for his help.

>Well, we never did learn either of their names, did we?

The death note wouldn't work on Superman any more than it would work on a dog, because he's not human

>I mean, its magic

But has the Death Note even done anything like disintegrate someone down to atoms?

I mean can it cause someone to spontaneously burst into flames?

As far as I know it can mind control and exert enough telekinetic force on a heart to invoke a heart attack. What else can it do?

The only correct answer.

Shit, really? I must confess I've only seen the anime fairly recently and hadn't gotten around to reading the manga since it didn't seem to be one of those series that dramatically alters the plot or cuts it short with a 'fake' ending.

I think it comes down to wording. It won't just make a guy catch fire spontaneously, but it could make a guy accidentally bump his hip into a wall or one of those subway queuing pylons, flicking the lighter in his pocket and causing the guy to catch fire that way, and the man can't seem to put out the damn fire no matter how hard he rolls on the ground.

That's...actually a really good point.

A lot of the JLA aren't actually humans.

Can compell a person to commit suicide

Yeah, but there's low level probability manipulation and then there's out and out reality control. I mean I doubt he could write that someone dies from the Earth suddenly exploding.

It's like a directed version of the Final Destination death. It manipulates circumstances but it can't do anything -too- outside the rules of reality.

Would the death note work on Doomsday? Does the book work on nameless things? (like animals)

>Which would instantly restart because its a kryptonian heart powered by solar cells.
Except it wouldn't because if you're being killed by the Death Note, there's no escaping it.
You can give CPR to someone all you want, but you can't bring them back.
>The lasso has been shown to break all sorts of mind control and compulsion in the past from magic to super-science.
Okay, that's fair enough, I don't read WW.
Does/has it ever work on stopping magic from literal Gods, though?
I know WW deals with those sometimes.
>He has back up personalities inside himself that would kick in like that time he regenerated from a hand.
Then they'd have to be entirely different other people, not just aspects of himself, the person who is dead.
>Wisdom of Solomon guarantees he always thinks clearly
Then he'd die of a heart attack, probably as Billy instead of a controlled death.
>He's literally made out of magic
So are the Shinigami and it can reverse-kill them
Either way, Billy is dead for sure

That does suck for Kira since two of the people he'd have to worry about the most, John and Clark, are in that list.

On that note, would Cyborg be considered human for the purposes of the Note?

How long would it actually take for anyone in Gotham to come to the conclusion that it's a notebook carried by some relatively unassuming young Japanese man causing the deaths? They could deduce that the deaths could possibly be magical in nature, but that's like concluding that a murder victim was shot with a gun without going into any further detail beyond that they were shot.

It's pretty much up to Light to fuck things up and leave a trail, but Gotham's definitely going to be uncharacteristically quiet by then.

He'd be dead.

Book says you're dead, you die.

What is a human anyway? I was under the assumption it was creatures that holds the characteristics of a human being.
I`m pretty sure being a human doesn`t necessarily mean you must be an earthling.

>Misa looks at Bruce Wayne
>His name is Batman

What about Firestorm? Would Kira have to write both names of the fusion down to kill him or just the name of the one controlling the body? Would the other personality assume control of the body if the first personality dies?

Yeah he's still human even if he has some metal shit strapped to him.

Well i don't know much about Deathnote, but doesn't the deathnote fail to work on the Shinigami ? I would imagine it wouldn't work on other gods ATLEAST.

>Misa forgets because she's a retard

Why are we discussing the less interesting Kira?

>this dude walks in

Now what?

Now THIS would be an interesting matchup

What would Ryuk do in the DC universe?

Hang out with Deadman?