Sonic 291

Any news whatsoever? Or are SEGA and Archie still "in talks?"

It's dead Jim.

I thought it was pretty official.

Still "in talks". How long has it been now, 7 months? Those are some pretty extensive talks.

Shit load of new guidelines for Archie. Nothing else yet.

Those guidelines have been there for a while.

I hope it happens. I miss it.

Bump

Even though I haven't read the comic for years, it still feels a little sad that something that's been there consistently since I was a kid is now finally gone.

Sadly they are gonna drag out these rumors of cancellation or negotiation and all that until eternity.

That's honestly the real problem here. SEGA's obviously trying to do a big Sonic celebration this year with Force, Mania, and SEGA Forever, so them giving an ACTUAL shit about the Archie Comic is on the backburner of a stove the next town over. The consequence of this is that people will just write the comic off as being cancelled and there might not being a decent number of people left to get sales back up if they wait to long to be done with "talks".

Nothing's really changed. Sonic continues to be missing from solicits each month. Archie's twitter was constantly tweeting that they were in talks with SEGA still (possibly due to a video claiming Archie Sonic is dead gaining a lot of attention), but they stopped tweeting that at some point.

Aaron Webber on a recent twitch stream said they don't have any comic news to share, but hope to have some soon.

Matt Herms said at a comic panel that Mega Drive #3 will be in the works if/when the comics return.

We also learned from a "prank" that #295's cover was actually leaked at some point earlier in the year. The pranker colored it and made a fake ad announcing the comic's return.

Just try not to think about it. It'll make it easier.

it still makes me mad that the comic has been terrible before the reboot. I mean, i loved it for a long time during my early years, but the comic itself was plagued with Original the Characters, family trees, and cycling terrible art. the Knuckles series in particular. Sonic's stories were all about being him being cool and funny for a while, but most knuckles' issues were about his serioud deep lore and ancestral ties i didnt really give a shit about. then things just stopped being fun to read, then StH#100 came out and i just stopped reading entirely

It got a lot better at 160 when they got a new writer and art team.

Everybody always throws the book into big lumps, but there were great issues in the early days.

It's dead. Standing orders on all future issues have been cancelled through the end of the year. You can confirm this yourself if you check with a LCS that regularly stocks Sonic.

I think they're doing it so they can run damage control for the current subscribers and avoid having them go apeshit over getting fucked by a sudden cancellation of a series they already paid money for. Once they've thoroughly covered their asses, we'll get an official announcement.

Not to mention if you check out the artists that worked on the book you can see how they're all not listing Archie as one of their current employers.

Shit's dead as fuck lads. I just hope we get an announcement soon so we can put this mess behind us.

What happened with that Scott Fulop lawsuit? Was it concluded at some point or is it still on-going?

If it concluded they would have re-solicited Mega Drive.

If Archie states the comic is officially cancelled, by their own terms and conditions they have to offer refunds to any subscribers that want them.

That's why Mega Man is in "hiatus" and why they'll never actually announce Sonic was cancelled.

Mega Man's "hiatus" was confirmed months ahead of time and subscribers received a letter with the final issue stating as much. This was not the case with Sonic. Sonic's hiatus came out of nowhere and subscribers have been left in the dark all this time.

They have to say something sooner or later or else they'll just garner a bad reputation as scammers for taking subscriptions and never fulfilling or refunding them.