Storytime Part 1 of 3: The Chimera Brigade

They were born on the battlefields of the Great War, amidst the mustard gas and x-ray weapons.

Beyond good and evil, they took over the great European capitals.

Pulp writers made them icons. Their powers fascinated scientists. But in the heart of the old continent, a menace is taking shape, one that may erase even the memory of their existence…

Anyone reading?

How to handle an embedded file?

Am I alone in this thread?

Am I posting at the wrong time?

bump

>The Chimera Brigade
oh god if I see another comic reference Neitzsche again I'm going to hurl. When was this published?

2009-2010

How is it seem like a reference to Nietzsche by the way?

Senpai, the page user replied to literally has a Nietzsche quote in it.

I am now so this is very cliche in a very old school comics deconstruction kind of way. Are the pulp character public domain in europe?

Nice

Time for me to take a break.

bump

It's more than a reference, the man and superman and Zarathustra are fairly important to the story.

It does get really good, trust. Aren't all these characters public domain pretty much everywhere?

It might be important to the story but even by 2010 this was a cliche as hell observation about superheroes. The story is slow as hell though and feels like I'm missing key moments. Like I'm reading a sequel to a book where I need to read that other book.

I don't really see what's cliche about it. I'll agree that it is a slow burner. French books do tend to put more time into the first and second acts and kinda rush the conclusion. I suppose that knowing European history and pop culture does help, since they're all established characters, besides the brigade, I think.

the cliche comes from when you read a lot of superhero deconstructions, it shows up in Watchmen, Miracleman several Image titles and even shows up in piss takes like Marshal Law. It's a very common one for this type of story to either mention it, make the comparison or go on a rant about it.

Regarding Nietzsche and the various interpretations of the 'superman', two questions to ask yourself while reading this:
Whatever Happened to the European Superhero?
Why couldn’t European superheroes save the day?

Yeah, I know it's a superhero deconstruction, but I think they each have a different take on it, I wouldn't say this book is a lot like Watchmen at all.

I'm reading!

>Someone actually acknowledges all the communist stuff that was going on in post-WWI europe
>Mabuse actually has believeble motivation behind his actions and plans

I think I will have to read this through. French are already surpassing almost all "WW2, but with superheroes" things americans have made.

>Mabuse actually has believeble motivation behind his actions and plans

You realise this is essentially Hitler's motivation, at least publicly.