ITT: Your favorite non-disney movies

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=haW0vKj99tk
youtube.com/watch?v=KgzyHMB_crk
youtube.com/watch?v=j0j0Bjy6hFc
youtube.com/watch?v=vm6KST-1ah8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The only recent animated movie actually worth of an oscar didnt got it.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar for having exceptional tastes. I love this file as well. Good show.

the book was better, but i can't deny that the movie was fantastic

/thread

Draags utterly BTFO

Check it out if you like cute animals and catchy music.

Pretty much anything by him is amazing.

I love all of Laika's stuff, but Coraline is still at the top for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=haW0vKj99tk

Something about the style and music just really makes the atmosphere resonate with me.

I like how the blue one has a dick but spontaneously grows titties upon being shot.

Fantastic Planet gave me the willies, but it stuck with me.

"BOYS! *snap* Bring on the Edison balls. I'm sure you're into reaching new levels of consciousness."
"Sure, itsall we ever do."
"Eeexcellent. Then I've got something you boys will really enjoy. ... (Shall we take a stroll in the garden, my dear?)"

I can still rattle off most of the movie by heart, and I haven't rewatched it in two years. Maybe I'll do that tonight before I got to sleep.

Loved Kells. My only critique was that the dynamic between Brendan and Aisling got overshadowed by everything else as things went on.

Technically it's a min-series, but the collection is right about movie length and the story is fucking AMAZING. Plus you can literally read along with the comic, word for word, about 98% of the time

>"HE'S GONNA PUT A HECK ON ME!"
>"Hex."
>"TWO OF 'EM! THAT'S WORSE!!"

This and Song of the Sea are up there.

They ever say what happened to Tiva? Being the only alien that wasn't just plain cruel to her human.

And for that one scene referencing all those famous french painters.

The Tragedy of Man.

Even after all this time it's still leaps and bounds ahead of any other cgi film. At least on a technical level.

Non-Disney/Pixar/Miyazaki favorites:
>Secret of Kells (favorite)
>Song of the Sea
>Waltz with Bashir
>Adventures of Prince Achmed
>Kubo and the Two Strings
>Boy and the World
>Persepolis
>Prince of Egypt
>All of Looney Tunes but that doesn't really count

Planning on watching:
>Fantastic Planet
>Gandahar
>Wizards
>Heavy Traffic
>My Life as a Zucchini
>Fantastic Planet
>Red Turtle
>Garden of Words
>When Marnie Was There
>Tragedy of Man
>Rango

Give me top three essentials from to-watch list and rate my expert level to make me shallowly feel good.

>When Marnie Was There

Prepare to be underwhelmed.

Watch A Letter to Momo or Summer Wars instead.

YOU'RE PLAYING WITH THE BIG GUYS NOW

>Aachi wa Ssipak

It's batshit and the character models are hideous, but at least it's unique and has some pretty great action scenes.

But watch the original version with subtitles. The dub was given to some Youtube celeb who makes fart videos or something.

>les lascars

Favourite movie

Favourite series

Tragedy of Man
Rango
Fantastic Planet
Wizards

Bump those to the top, in that order. I'll note that I also haven't seen Red Turtle, Garden of Words, Heavy Traffic, or My Life as a Zucchini yet though.

I need more of these rec lists.

It does Alice in Wonderland while also doing Nightmare on Elm Street. and it's protagonist is just cool looking in general.

Oh that's pretty.

I haven't seen enough anime movies, fuck it I think the only ones I've seen are Castle in the Sky and Five Centimeters per Second.

Yeah, I've really been meaning to see Tragedy of Man in particular. Shit looks like an animated Ingmar Bergman movie.

Help I'm a wish is quite an enigma, because it has some voice actors that ended up being very famous and the animation is pretty good stuff, yet practically no one even knows the film existed and it originally had atrocious CGI box art.

I watched the full movie on YouTube, would recommend if you want to see a decent film with bright visuals (but the songs range from catchy to mind numbing my sweet diabetes.)

God tier taste

I can't find any English sub.

When I was a kid this song scared me the fuck out. The plagues didn't though, which I've found odd looking back

Mok was great. Perfect example of an "ugly" character that's not painful to look at and also has a lot of appeal in their personality. Tumblrina artists need to start taking notes.

shit taste, all of you

I wish the people I watched this with understood how horrifying it is. Just a bunch o' dumb stoners in it for the colors.

Nice. So is The Tragedy of Man

>soyuzmultfilm /thread

>Makes you think it's gonna be a generic "war is bad, plants are good" moral
>mfw that final battle
This movie is fucking perfect.

>I'm glad you changed your name you son of a bitch!
Like, I honestly can't think of the last time I was that genuinely surprised while watching a movie.

Anyone who hasn't watched Wizards, avoid all spoilers and watch that shit ASAP, the ending is incredible and you need to go in totally clean to fully appreciate it.

I'm glad this got mentioned. Not my favorite film but underrated as all hell.

>that list
>No Corto Maltese
youtube.com/watch?v=KgzyHMB_crk
>no Flight of the dragons
youtube.com/watch?v=j0j0Bjy6hFc

The poignancy of Corto Maltese is something special.

Hvorfor lige den af alle de danske?

The language makes my dick hard also the movie is really good.

VIP, My Brother Superman (aka The Super VIPs).

Bruno Bozzetto doesn't get enough love.

youtube.com/watch?v=vm6KST-1ah8

I learned to love the pain.

Ah yes this one is great.

bump

Have you seen any non Miyazaki Ghibli?

Isn't it originally Danish?

I still need to watch Fantastic Planet. I recorded it earlier in the year when it aired on TCM, but never got around to watching.

I love the shit out of Flight of the Dragons but chose to admit it because The Last Unicorn and The Hobbit are both already on there, and although I personally have a lot of attachment for FotD, those are both far better I think as recommendations. Also I would hope that any smart user looking through the list that likes TLU and The Hobbit won't have a hard time finding FotD. I'm thinking about working on compiling a "runner up" list, since there are so many good movies I chose to omit from the recommendation image in an effort to keep it condensed.

I haven't seen Corto Maltese. Maybe I'll check it out.

made in Denmark I think, but it was recorded in English first because it was meant to be sold to English speaking audiences.

I dare you to find cuter and comfier movie.

Is there a comic book version?

Saoirse > Celestine

>Sing
>Oliver and Company

>worthwile

Several, I think. But unfortunately I'm not much of a comic person so I don't have any saved. You can make a whole thread of the various comic recommendation images, though.

there's so many good picks on here, that it leaves me confused with why sausage party and sing are on here

See, this is why I avoid posting that one as much. It has so much fucking quantity but mixed in are these odd shitty choices.

Also
>all those fucking Disney movies
>but the user straight out refused to put in Tangled

Sausage Party is still more original and interesting than more than half of the recommandations on that list

Okay. Such as?

Oh boy!

>Disney shit
>european CGI movies
>pretentious adut movies
>muh 90's nostalgia movies
>CARS??
>Disney sequels
>CGI shit by other companies

I hated Summer Wars so much, it was so underwhelming imo

My recommendation is Tekkonkinkreet, which is my favorite movie of all time

Is this some kind of troll list? There's like 5 garbage-tier movies in there.

I liked it, and I only watched it because I thought it was going to be something it wasn't.

Okay, I'm sure I would agree with you on some of the individual movies, but those categories don't just cover half, that's the entire fucking image. You've got like maybe 5 movies left if you cut out everything covered by those generalizations and you'd might as well give up on saying you have interest in animated film at that point and just go with those very few exceptions you seem to like.

Also, I'm having trouble spotting the Disney sequels on the image. Which ones were you talking about?

Wait, sorry, you're right. Just found Leroy and Stitch after another glanceover.

pls no bully

The unedited version is so much fucking worse because the original user that posted it decided to separate two halves of it into "best" and "less good" and his reasoning makes no fucking sense.

y bully?

Taste is good

I watched it a few weeks ago for the first time and i found it quite strange, it probably would have scared me as a kid especially with all the fish being eaten alive by that shark and the aunt acidentally stepping in what we are led to believe is fly's dead body.

I have the DVD for Grave of the Fireflies, but I've never seen it. It looks really dark by Ghibli standards.

I'm still impressed by the way that last part actually fooled me for a little bit. Most animated children's movies have such little tension because you know everything will come out okay in the end, but Help I'm a Fish succeeded in suspending my disbelief just long enough by building up the stakes properly.

I saw it for the first time a few weeks as well. The animation is good (well, maybe not the CG) but man was it suspenseful. And that villain death is going to stick with me for a while, it was surprisingly freaky and morbid, but also really cool.

Don't mean to double post, but you guys should check out Wrinkles. It's pretty slow at times, but I love it's portrayal of the tragedy of Alzheimers.

Is there good streams for Tragedy of Man now? I couldn't find anything when he finally made it.

>Sausage Party
Why? Because "lol that fucking hot dog fucking smoked some fucking weed" or because "no dude, it's so DEEP, don't you get it? Religion has like NO purpose outside of making retards feel better about death!"?

>Sausage Party
>Original
It's like an early-2000's flash cartoon with a larger budget and questionable business ethics. The entire joke is "lol the cartoon hotdog smoked weed and said fuck", it's no different from those thousands of "Mario eats a mushroom and gets high" cartoons you'd see on Newgrounds.

Reminder that the person who made this is a "Little Nemo is Sup Forums not Sup Forums" purist

I know exactly one person who doesn't think Yellow Submarine is a masterpiece and she has utterly shit taste in movies. Also spent half the movie on her phone.

Your taste is sound, user.

>questionable business ethics
There's no question about it, their business ethics were shit.

>The entire joke is "lol the cartoon hotdog smoked weed and said fuck"
excep it wasn't, try again

>High Tier
>Sausage Party

>"Decent" Tier
>Rango
>Secret of Kells
>Road to El Dorado
>American Tail
>Last Unicorn
>Coraline
>Hercules
>Bevis and Butt-head Do America
>Kubo and the Two Strings
>Make Mine Music
>Heavy Metal
>The Illusionist
>Rock and Rule
>Team America
>The Simpsons Movie
>Cinderella
>Sleeping Beauty

Whoever made this list is either twelve years old or a complete idiot. Either way, they're everything that's wrong with the moviegoing public.

Oh right, there was also a last-minute attempt at a "deeper meaning" by hamfisting in a Family Guy-tier moral about religion.

People who thought Sausage Party was smart are the same kind of people who think they're intellectuals because they watch Rick and Morty.