Japanese Transformers

Lets talk about the Transformers that were released in Japan some came over to the West most stayed.

Pretty sure the one people most fondly remember has to be Transformers Armada since that one was actually kind of good and had moderate success here. I tend to hear alot of negative things about Beast Wars 2/Neo and Headmasters.

Other urls found in this thread:

tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Kiss_Players_(franchise)
youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk
youtube.com/watch?v=MYOxHkHaZ4I
youtube.com/watch?v=MUw37lG36kc
youtube.com/watch?v=uayCAikpH88
boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/opening/
hollywoodreporter.com/news/japan-box-office-transformers-age-724560
youtu.be/9ODtsNMNJXk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Japanese
stop reading there

I enjoyed Victory and Masterforce... too bad they get bumfuck in the Western fandom.

>Transformers Armada since that one was actually kind of good
bruh it was shit and i liked armada.
toys were pure gimmick, terrible articulation
animation on the show was garbage
minicons were dope shit tho

I got just the hidden gem

tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Kiss_Players_(franchise)

Truly one of the best the Japanese transformer properties

don't be a fag

Sup Forums's kinda anal on it plus I doubt any NIPPON only Transformers fan exist

youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk

Please don't

>toys were pure gimmick, terrible articulation
This, I had the armada Prime, total garbage. The only really good thing from that line was the Starsaber since even some toys today can still hold it.

Cybetron's toys on the other hand were godly. No argument, Cybertron Prime was one of if the best Prime toy of all time. Not counting any of the collectible high end figures and all that.

Not even Japanese TF fans wants to acknowledge the existence of this.

Armada was only remembered favorably because Energon and Cybertron were so much worse.

No the ranking goes.

1. Cybertron
2. Armada

And I'm going to even bother with Energon because it was a horrible failure.

Probably a year or so after Armada aired Sup Forums had threads discussing questionable screen caps in the show. Fun times.

>tfw i actually liked kiss players because i always wanted to kiss those giant robots i still want to.

It would of been ok series if they didn't look like 10 year olds.

KP Marissa was hot.

There. I said it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to kiss robots but like said

Ever since I saw commercials for RID, I was of the opinion that the Japanese can't do Transformers right, so I don't bother watching their shit.

Shut up, boco.

That actually put me off when i turned 17 and actually looked for pictures wondering when they were supposed to look like women who could drive.

Master Force and Victory are the only good seasons of Transformers anime.

Armada was terrible in Japan and made worse here. Energon fared even worse. Cybertron was such a Charlie Foxtrot that even Hasbro threw their hands up and starting just doing the shows by themselves again.

The Unicorn trilogy only happened because Beast Machines failed so badly. The third Beast show was canceled and Hasbro had Fox Kids dub Car Robots into English and sold those here in 2001.

Optimus Prime was a fire truck when 9/11 happened and everyone adored fire fighters. They literally could not make that one toy fast enough to meet demand. That series was such a hit that Hasbro decided to just do more anime shows, jointly with Takara.

It caused a massive rift between them all three years.

> Japanese can't do Transformers right
It's because they don't want anything to compete against their giant mecha pilots. So they water it down a lot.

The only thing Japan has done for RiD was to animate it. The rest such as planning and scripting was done in America.

>It's because they don't want anything to compete against their giant mecha pilots. So they water it down a lot.
I very much doubt that's the reason.

Ever seen how they treated the dubbing of TFP in Japan? They edited and hacked away at it until it was all desu desu with a kawaii halftime. 13 episodes of Prime and the Predacons Rising have never been aired.

Ironically, Hasbro has worked pretty closely with Takara on the current Generations product line, which is why we are getting so many Japanese only Transformers in the US line finally.

Sky Shadow
Metalhawk
Godbomber later this year
Overlord is coming too

Their poll had Star Saber and Deathsaurus. They are getting toys in the next line.

They has five of the seven members of the Decepticon Breast Force in their shitty Combiner Wars Liokaiser.

The Grimlock we are getting next year is based on a toy design made for Battlestars - Return of Convoy. Takara later retooled it a bit and used it as Dino Geist, the main bad guy from Brave Exkaiser. (His minions were slightly altered versions of the other four Dinobots.) Hasbro will retool that mold as BW Megatron.

Hopefully we get the other Battlestars designs next year too.
Star Convoy seems likely. So does Super Megatron.

If we're REALLY lucky, we'll get the unreleased Fire Rodimus toy.

My point is that I don't think it's likely at all that they have such a motivation. It's more likely they just don't care much.

They did the same to Beast Wars and Animated. Their target demo for the new show's is ages 4-7. Hasbro wants ages 5-12. Takara just dumbstruck their dubs down a lot to be suitable for their audience.

That's why Hasbro won't make a joint show with them anymore.

> It's more likely they just don't care much.

At least China cares a bit. Maybe by some twist of fate China will take up the reigns to make a kick ass TF animated series.

I liked the voices in the original transformers show. Especially CONVOY COMMANDER!

I wish I could kiss Shockwave too

Nah the reason is in G1 they thought talking robots was more of a little kids thing than a teen thing then with the Unicron Trilogy hasbro, CN, Dreamwave and an number of other fuckup factors essentially crippled what would have been an ok series. From then on JP's had a whatever attitude.

>Tfw in TFA they named bulkhead to ironhide but didn't change the personality at all then when ironhide showed up they were like shit ok name him steelhide nobody'll know
>tfw TFP Shockwave is so fucking angry and only says his own name because...?
>tfw airachnid is a yandere xenofucker and the insecticons sound like wierd old men

>Cybertron
I don't see how especially after how much time they spent on Velocitron. God that shit went on forever.

was this show good?

If you look past the loli shit it's not the worst desu

also rosanna is a QT pink girl

Daily reminder that they're actually 20 because the writer said little girls can't drive cars desu

one of the misunderstood in the whole franchise.

>tfw TFP Shockwave is so fucking angry
Ah, Japanese Shockwave. Honorary member of Angry Marines since G1.
youtube.com/watch?v=MYOxHkHaZ4I
youtube.com/watch?v=MUw37lG36kc

Yeah, the Japanese dubs routinely give characters completely different personalities from their American counterparts.

My favorite is Airachnid because it's so fucking weird what they turned her into.

>America
Serial killer
>Japan
Female Pepe Le Pew

WTF Japan

So is Karyudo Fansubs gonna do Beast Wars Neo?

After Beast Wars II, I was really looking forward to watching the sequel series.

Japan is shit at children's mecha shows and should let murica' stick to it.

tell me a mecha kids show that has had both american and japanese versions that had a better japanese version mate. Transformers is just the prime example of this

>They has five of the seven members of the Decepticon Breast Force in their shitty Combiner Wars Liokaiser.

Not even that many. It was only 4. They replaced Leozack with Deathsaurus so they could get away with just redecoing Sky-Lynx as the main part of the body.
And I can kind of see why Deathcobra didn't get in, because he is pretty minor, having no previous toy and only getting in one episode of the cartoon (not even getting a chance to form Liokaiser)

Jallguar's omission is a mystery, though

Rattrap?

I think it's more that Transformers is pretty it for mecha shows in the US (well, we have Netflix Voltron now, but TYPICALLY they're the only game in town). So Transformers covers a wide demographic here.

But in Japan, their market is saturated with mecha shows and Gundamn will forever be the most popular, plus shit like Super Sentai which isn't a cartoon but has giant robots and will never go away.

So Transformers needed to find a niche in the Japanese market and stick to it. The niche they found was to be the mecha show for really, REALLY little kids.

As a result, domestically produced Transformers shows are mindless drivel and dubbed American Transformers shows are drastically simplified and given comedy parody translations. It sucks for them, but it's the only way to get the brand any recognition in the Japanese market.

Headmasters is such a weird show, it's like at first they wanted to just continue from where the show ended but add their Headmaster characters, then quick as fuck just go nope gotta kill/get rid of the old cast.

My favourite one is probably Ultra Magnus, dudes like one of the few main guys who is still in the show from the old series (barely) then after not seeing him in forever they kill him off.

It was like some producer realized he was still alive 'Shit! We missed one Tanaka-kun make an episode were he gets killed! ASAP!'

It's hard to beat this opening, though.

> youtube.com/watch?v=uayCAikpH88

Instant classic. Too bad the show sucked.

I don't get why fat neckbeards are so upset about transformers being more popular than gundamn then, why don't they just hump a model kit in nippon?

yup but with a gundam head for some reason (i know there's an actual custom rattrap-pikachu but can't find it at the moment).

I think it's just Japanese general attitude towards talking robots. One of Japan's most popular robots in comics is Doraemon. It's just more or less what Japan expects from intelligent an anime robot, cute, friendly, and non threatening. If you want badass robots, just look at mecha shows, like gundam. They're badass, sure but they're piloted machines. This might explain why Transformers was such a big hit with Japan. They really don't have anything like Transformers. It's a epic war between two factions of giant robots.

>Too bad the show sucked
Animated is literally the best TF show, m8

Eh. When it comes to "sentient talking robot" shows for little kids, Transformers is still a minnow compare to the shark that is SD Gundman.

So even that "niche" Transformers has carved for itself in the Japanese market is nothing more than a distant silver medal at best.

Transformers will always be more of an American phenomenon, where as in Japan it's just a face in the crowd.

I almost forgot about these

how does the live-action movies fare in japan? the whole "not piloted robots = kiddie crap" thing apparently gave them a shock when they watched the first movie (not sure about the sequels) due to it being darker by comparison.

people will object to this but go nuts about the fred perry comic of miko and bulkhead.

>how does the live-action movies fare in japan?

Dark of the Moon has the 82ed highest opening box office in Japan

>boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/opening/

I guess that means the movies are profitable over there, but probably not well-liked.

>how does the live-action movies fare in japan?

Age of Extinction flopped in Japan. It opened in third place over there

>hollywoodreporter.com/news/japan-box-office-transformers-age-724560

They really don't like the American Transformers movies, or at least the novelty has worn off.

Admittedly yes they spent to much time racing much to the detriment of Gigantron and Planet X but of the three series it is the best.

Energon was so god awful the universe had to be rebooted.

still can't figure out how they have the budget of g-saviour (the live action gundam movie) several times over but almost has the same amount of mech action.

>They really don't like the American Transformers movies, or at least the novelty has worn off.

I think that goes for everyone on the planet with the exception of China.

They're exclusively keeping that franchise on life support.

I had suppressed this. Fuck you.

>tfw I wanted Kiss Convoy because he came with a surfboard sword and didn't really care about the girl.

(You)

>Controversy

I wonder how much of that section is wiki author's wild virtue signaling imagination

No. Armada and Energon at least went somewhere. Cybertron was so bad people don't even want to count it.

>Brave Exkaiser
Heh. What a coincidence, I started to watch this series yesterday after watching GaoGaiGar (planning to watch the other Braves).

>I wonder how much of that section is wiki author's wild virtue signaling imagination

The TFWiki admins are all-in on the feminist stuff. They went through removed all references to the word "secretary" because it was offensive to women and likewise removed anything associating the color pink with femininity unless it was in a snarky, mocking context about how backward it is to associate pink with females.

It's no surprise Kiss Players sent them into a virtue signaling eruption.

>A 3rd Season was planned
>It would make Prime bigger and get a Minicon partner

Worst of all we still don't know what later happened with Blackarachnia and Wasp/Waspinator when they survived the explosion.

gundam pikachu transformer?

The original Beast Wars Japanese dub is almost an abridged series in all but name.

The Japanese dub of Animated, too.

They're all self-aware parodies of the franchise and not "straight" dubs. It seems to be the only way to interest Japanese viewers in Transformers; create gag dubs that make fun of how stupid Transformers is.

Those were already stupid gag shows anyway, the dubs didn't change anything.

Well this explains everything.

Don't talk to me or my bottom bitch again - Sentinel Prime

At least Japanese Animated had a pretty good opening
youtu.be/9ODtsNMNJXk

Somehow I'm left skeptical of your word.

Sundor is one of my favorite Transformers. I mean, fuck, it's Laserbeak except bright orange with metallic stickers.

>Japan Dub is basically an abridged dub
>Get mcfucking JAM PROJECT to do the intro
That's like getting JAM Project to do the intro for Boku no Pico

>doubting how much of a tremendous beta M Sipher and Walky are

First day in the fandom, huh?

>watching Brave series
>not watching Transformers Cybertron
The fuck user?

SOURCE?

idk what he's on about. the actual confirmed S4 cut content is Optimus and ratchet geting movie-style paintjobs, and an episode where minicons zerg downtown detroit

The third season is out

Sentinel reminds me of that old "shit was so cash" meme

Optimus Lips

Can you darw Shockwave wearing a cute maid uniform?
I'm definetly asking for a friend.

True story, I was the friend

Ah, the perfect Transformers for a /m/an like me. Giant robots, lolis, what's not to like?

This wiki entry is so badly written.

>Beast Wars, a stupid gag show in any way.

It had shitty jokes, but the plot writing was anything but gag driven.

Nicely done.
Thank you user.

Transformers Armada was alright. But, I think I liked Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2001) better. I didn't watch it as much as Armada, but from what little I watched of it looked cooler. Like Megatron having more transformations.

These are 4kid's levels up fucked up character personality.

I'd like to watch Car Robots one of these days to see the show's plot fully intact.
Dang terrorists causing dang 9/11 making Saban skip a key plot episode.

>Tfw in TFA they named bulkhead to ironhide but didn't change the personality at all then when ironhide showed up they were like shit ok name him steelhide nobody'll know
Ironhide was renamed Armorhide.

Also, they renamed Bulkhead Ironhide because the original idea was rewrite half of the show and turn it into a prequel to the Bay movies.

>>tfw airachnid is a yandere xenofucker and the insecticons sound like wierd old men

>not wanting super horny cougar Airachnid

But that was a legitimate improvement, user.

Actually the Kiss Players complaining is made in a more logic way than "REEE WE TRIGGERED SJW".

The reaction on that webcomic making jokes about BW Airazor and Nightscream being crossdressers, on the other side...

>The reaction on that webcomic making jokes about BW Airazor and Nightscream being crossdressers, on the other side...

Those edits were all by M Sipher, who takes the whole "transmisogyny" thing very seriously. Walky is the one who is militant about feminism shit.

Kids in Japan don't give a shit about robots

This can't be real

I honestly don't get why this thing and that dinobot combiner comic trigger so many people.

Those are just two kids, but mecha anime IS kind of dead.

I love The Mighty Shockwave.