Marvel Schedules Conference Call With ComicsPRO Comic Stores Over Marvel Legacy Concern

bleedingcool.com/2017/06/27/marvel-schedules-conference-call-with-comicspro-comic-stores-over-marvel-legacy-concern/

The response to last week’s Marvel Legacy announcements has not been an overly positive one. Bleeding Cool has argued that much of this was down to the marketing of the announcements, the idea of showing all the monthly October titles, including a few new titles, as reflecting comic books of the past was a good one. But marketing it as changing the entire comics industry felt like a wrong step. The only named creator on the books is Greg Pak on Weapon X and it is likely that creator names will have more of an impact. As will story content, the mini-series, that will run around the books and the renumbering of the line to reflect all the series that have come before. The covers are fun, and some of the new titles like Spirits Of Vengeance and Marvel Two-In-One intrigue. Maybe it would have been better to have led with them? And if indeed Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing Captain America, that would have been a pretty good thing to say as well. As it stands, I think Marvel’s greatest sin is around presentation.
Well, they get another chance on Thursday. I understand that members of the ComicsPro comic book retailer advocacy group have a group call scheduled with Marvel head honchos this Friday, partially in response to what has clearly been a tepid response to last Friday’s announcements.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ryanhigginsryan/status/879779498610184192
bleedingcool.com/2017/03/18/peter-parkermary-jane-watson-marriage-will-never-ever-return-infinity-says-dan-slott/
theouthousers.com/index.php/news/137750-dan-slott-on-the-spider-marriage-returning-it-aint-happening-ever.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm starting to wonder with Marvel was ever good

They do have a few gems here and there, but I don't know if the Marvel Universe as a whole has been good since the 80s.

The retailer quoted in the "article" and in the image above already debunked the info being pushed by RJ. Just another attempt by RJ to grab hits and try to feel relevant.

It used to be, but that is over now.

So what does Sup Forums honestly think Marvel's going to say to retailers this Friday?

twitter.com/ryanhigginsryan/status/879779498610184192

It was all right in the early 2000s.

ohshit

From another retailer in the comments section:

>Remember, a bunch of people at Marvel sat in a room and thought this was a good idea.

>They thought it would be good to not worry about which artists they kept around because "artists don't move the needle."

>They let a number of their top writers go off to be successful at Image, because they figured they could just plug anybody in there and sell books. (They have a handful of good writers, please don't misunderstand.)

>At my shop right now:

>Batman is selling MORE THAN DOUBLE the highest selling Marvel super hero book (including their huge event Secret Empire).

>I have been open for a bit over 4 years and:

>--Deadpool sales are at 3 year lows.
>--Amazing Spider-Man sales are at 3 year lows.
>--The Chip Zdarsky Spider-Man series flopped (and we have tons of Chip! fans).
>--The buzz around Ms. Marvel is fading.
>--A lot of new Marvel books are DOA. I'm ordering 5 copies of some new series and maybe selling 2. (Black Panther: Crew, for example.)

>It's pretty obvious what needs to happen because the House of Ideas is employing people with either no ideas or bad ideas.

>They need to chop heads at the top and bring in some new blood. Start with Axel Alonso and take a look at underperforming editors. Get them out of there.

Absolutely nothing. It's too late to course correct now. Marvel has to see this relaunch through to the bitter end.

>cancelled Sandman Mystery Theatre TPB

Now that's a problem.

>Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing Captain America

Oh great another Cap book about BLM instead it will be fucking BORING instead of Spencer's roller coaster of stupidity.

>Marvel has to see this relaunch through to the bitter end.
Unfortunately that looks like what they're going to do.

>They let a number of their top writers go off to be successful at Image,

I don't know why so many people bring this up. Any creator with a brain and decent fanbase will go to Image/creator owned. That's where the long term money is, it's the smart thing to do.

Anyone that reach high level success and sticks mainly with the company(Snyder,Bendis,etc) just really love the characters and are capefags.

They really changed the face of the industry didn't they.

>>--The buzz around Ms. Marvel is fading.

Good. Islam should not be whitewashed or it's horrible practices ignored like this book does.

Up until OG Secret Wars it was a remarkably solid line for a very lomg time. It has been in steady decline with the occasional gem since.
The rate of decline increases in the 1990's? The Image exodus gutted them talent wise temporarily and created long term competion and talent drain all in one move.

>They need to chop heads at the top and bring in some new blood. Start with Axel Alonso and take a look at underperforming editors. Get them out of there.
He's got a point, they really need to clean house.

>They really changed the face of the industry didn't they.

Marvel has (or had?) a line called Icon, remember? It was supposed to be a thing that they used to keep people at Marvel, which was why Fraction's Cassanova was published there while he was there.

>Any creator with a brain and decent fanbase will go to Image/creator owned. That's where the long term money is, it's the smart thing to do.

This sounds good but not everyone will instantly succeed at this, even with a fanbase. And even then there's necessity. One of the reasons Ellis went back to writing mainstream superhero titles despite making a show of how Planetary would be his last superhero comic back in 2001 or whenever was that when he worked on UFF, he found that sales on the trades of his creator-owned stuff got a boost.

It seems like the general pattern is that writers go to the Big 2 to make money and get their names out there, then jump off when they've had enough. Remender and Hickman are pretty good examples of this. They both had kind of cult success as indie writers but not much commercial success, both ended up as flagship writers for Marvel and both ended up leaving to go work on Image titles.

Yeah but really, if it starts with Axel then the same problems would still be there with Ike "cost-cutter" Perlmutter at the top.

Limiting turnover is part of management's job. You have to find a way to keep good people. It's life or death. No excuses.
Further a lot of these guys can fo several books at a time, why aren't they working for marvel AT ALL?
Also greedy Marvel effectively created Image in the first place, lol.

>It really doesn't matter what I say up here, you're all going to order our books anyways.

"Tweet a video of you punching a customer buying DC and we'll give you an exclusive variant cover"

Basically.

DC has had a very up and down history, while Marvel was just a very steady drop for like the past 30 years.

Tom Brevoort
Axel Alonso
Sana Amanat
Bendis
Slott
Spencer
Coates
That thing writing America

Am I forgetting anyone else who should be on the chopping block?

When is that penny pinching mother fucker going to die?

Slott's done nothing wrong

>we have tons of Chip! fans

Is this the comics version of Jeb! ?

Read his Spider-man and then tell me that he hasn't done anything wrong.

Being an autist on social media is enough.

>DC cancels a TPB
What a shock.

Bendis doesn't love the characters. Bendis loves HIS characters. Anyone else is fair game to kill off or character assassinate.

>take a look at underperforming editors
Marvel firing every single one of its editors certainly would be something.

Now hold on. it might just be about Lesbians

The smart thing to do is keep your good creators under your thumb, giving them away to your competitors is literally creating more competition that could have been making money for your company.

This is why DC made Vertigo a thing to compete against Image and not have their talents drift away into the potentially better deal for them.

Slott's Spider-Man is one of the few Marvel characters who have stayed true to themselves through this mess.

Vertigo's all but dead now though.
Well he did turn him into Iron Spider-Man, though it looks like Legacy is finally getting rid of it. At least the costume anyway.

His autistic crusade against Mary Jane is reason enough. Man is emotionally compromised

Crusade against Mary Jane? What the fuck are you talking about? I know it's not OMD because Slott had jack shit to do with that.

I meant his rants in interviews regarding the subject. Guys not all up there

sharon & natasha sitting in a tree
k i s s i n g

You got a link?

Same interview/forum rant from two different sources:
bleedingcool.com/2017/03/18/peter-parkermary-jane-watson-marriage-will-never-ever-return-infinity-says-dan-slott/

theouthousers.com/index.php/news/137750-dan-slott-on-the-spider-marriage-returning-it-aint-happening-ever.html

Whenever someone around here shits on BC or RJ I just assume it's Slott. Most people on Sup Forums seem pretty apathetic towards BC. The rest of the sites are 100 times more full of fag shit.

Firstly, that isn't an interview - those are replies to people on CBR asking about the marriage coming back.

I don't see how that is a rave about Slott's feelings towards Mary Jane. Why would you think Slott alone can make that call? The dude was probably being badgered non-stop at CBR about bringing back the marriage which he is powerless to do and which will never happen at Marvel for the foreseeable future.

I have been to CBR. Those guys are obsessed with the marriage coming back. I feel for people who want Slott off the book or a new direction, I do too sometimes, but you're creating a false premise here.

Rick is awful. Any 'journalist' that sites 'heard on a bus' as a source should quit their profession.

>Guys not all up there

Also stalking people, mainly women, to tell them how much their life sucks compared to his, only because they dared criticize him.

>mainly women
No, it's not a gendered thing at all.

Can someone explain why Sup Forums hates Sana Amanat?

Besides being one of the driving forces behind Marvel's terrible recent years?

>why Sup Forums

If by Sup Forums you mean one person then yes.

She's in charge of replacing all their white male characters with diversity.

POST THE IMAGE!!!

Fuck of sandnigger we all hate her.

By "we" you mean you

No it will be Captain Whiteguilt.

After being a Hydra Nazi Steve will apologize non stop for slavery and all of the wrongdoings that white people did to black people in America (it doesn't matter that his parents were discriminated Irish immigrants). He will apologize to a different black character every issue while he and Sharon take the BBC and if it's a black woman she will sit on his face.

Waid

She edits, like, two comics. She doesn't have any kind of power at all.

Also because she's a young nonwhite woman who helped come up with the idea for Ms. Marvel, Marvel puts her out there a lot in media appearances.

I don't get the impression that she has much power, but when a staff is mostly unattractive middle-aged white men they naturally like to use their telegenic millennials as mascots.

Her twitter bio says she's the director of content and character development.

No it fucking wasn't. Marvel hasn't been good since around ~86.

Marvel had a lot of great books during the Jemas era. Bad ones too, but that's always the case, no one ever gets it perfect.

>Ike
>ever dieing
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He's going to outlive us all.

Being in charge of developing new and "diverse" characters isn't that much of a prize job at a company where almost all the most famous characters are old white guys though.

It's like putting black writers on Black Panther: he's never the character they would pick if they had their first choice.

I think Marvel of the mid-2000s is underrated even though the events were mostly terrible. When Jemas left the new management allowed writers to use thought bubbles and continuity references again if they wanted and there seemed to be a broader range of books, from Bendis's non-traditional Avengers to Slott's nostalgic She-Hulk.

The big problem now is not that there are quirky books aimed at the Scholastic market it's that there's really not much in the way of good traditional superhero books to balance them out.

Al Ewing

For many people Jim Lee relaunching the X-Men killed Marvel. They will never admit to a good story being released after 91.

Nah, that's Marvel ignoring retailer concerns.

Marvel Legacy is more like if Marvel were to announce a shocking new drink that would change their coffee store for eternity, only for the next day's reveal to be the same as another drink they already sell, but with sprinkles and in a different cup.

I'm not that user, but on a different subject I find no possible reason other than the artwork to ever give consideration to reading Slott's "Silver Surfer".

Chip Zdarsky is also an editorial cartoonist, so I'm assuming that it's how he signs those.

OHHHHH

I finally get how this announcement was supposed to "Change the Industry." They're going to change the industry, by running it into the ground! Brilliant.

REMINDER:

Sex Criminals is the greatest. Kegel face is my hero

she's the company's "creative director"

she's the one responsible for the move to webcomic style art and sjw propaganda writing

>Some anonymous guy on the internet made posts without anything at all to validify them
Okay.

I'll believe it if the solicits for Marvel 2-in-1 has Moon Girl, Ms. Marvel, or America Chafez show up.

>Slott's nostalgic She-Hulk
well not being nostalgic about it and reading it as of now it sure is a shitty comic where the writter clearly can't make his waifu be wrong at all and asspull all the time

But don't you like how he made She-Hulk cartoonishly promiscuous just so he wouldn't be accused of slut-shaming Jen for being so mad about her sleeping with Juggernaut, only for PAD to completely wreck his retcon?

You're looking at it backwards.

The smart thing to do as a company is treat your creators well enough and give them opportunities for creator owned work within the Big 2 (this is why Vertigo was created, though it's a shell of its former self) so that they don't HAVE to move on to Image or wherever for the sake of their career. Having an environment in which employees would want to STAY is like, lesson number one of a good business.

I wonder what in the article is 100% wrong?

Axel Alonso needs to get the axe.

Wojack-posting outside of Sup Forums should get you banned

Why? it's a team up book. Those are heroes from currently running titles.

not exactly a home run prediction there

>artists don't move the needle

wtf I literally bought Paper Girls because I dig Cliff Chiang's art

Yeah, after checking out Sex Criminals I had some hope for Spectacular but it was just bland trash. It was more "haha look at Spidey and laugh oh boy he sure is our whipping boy."

look I read the Bryme run a few years back and that was it. I don't anything more about the character. I have so many problems with Slott's Jeniffer that I'm actually glad that he got btfo later in time. SIt is like rading a fanfiction of a shehulk waifufag. I can't tell who he is self-inserting tho. if it is Pug or Jr.John
it serious makes doubt what the fuck was up with reader to like slott's stuff to make him reach the position he is today

in Spider-Verse Doctor Octopus motivates Uncle Ben. Clone Conspiracy brings back Ben and fucks him up. Spider-Man repeatedly wastes millions of his companies dollars on "rehabilitating supervillains" except he gets no profit whatsoever from it.

wait whats wrong with Slott's She-Hulk?
it was one of my first full runs I ever read

Oh you didn't hear about that? That whole thing pissed off a lot of artists and probably soured their relationship with Marvel.

he got buttmad that she slept with juggs

Please, someone record and leak audio. We must have a retailer or 2 on Sup Forums

literal Shulk can do no wrong.
jenifer is acting like a stupid and sefish prick that put the carrer of the lawyer on her team? in a single page everything will good for her
she calls out a coleague for defending a villain and on why she would do that even though she was the first one to start with that shit..
she not understanding why a man hated being turned into a superpowered being and why it brought so many fights with his wife was the worst. she passes down as a spoiled turbo slut. she was even happy that hulk got blamed for destruction of a city and that it didn't had fall into her.
after reading some modern spiderman and this she hulk i started to question how dan slott got away with so much.
yeah. in the start of volume 2 Shulk says that her sleeping with Juggernaut was all fake news and rumors.
Slott have always been a waifufag hack. i don't even like MJ but I can see that he wants to ship parker with someone else