Do the Oscars hate anime?

How come Sup Forums movies always get ignored by the Academy (except Ghibli)?

The Oscars are a shitty scam and it's disgusting they hold any weight whatsoever.

They aren't weebs and aimes are often too focused on an japanese/weeb audience.

fuck off Sup Forums

dafuq is this?

keit-ai

Maybe you should ask Sup Forums

They don't even watch the animated movies they do nominate.

Fuck off shinkai drone

Koe no Katachi was better.

A body switching movie where the girl and the guy don't even take advantage of masturbating in the bodies they are in.

The Oscars are a joke.

People literally vote for the animation category by asking their kids what they liked.

People vote for things they haven't even watched.

animation awards at the Oscars goes to whatever Disney movie the Judges' grandkids saw that year.

Apparently the voters don't much care for animation, and they're even less likely to go see anime because of smaller releases and because they probably disregard anime, have an axe to grind against it (e.g. because of nationalism), or think it's doing animation wrong. Which is common in America, even among animation enthusiasts.

You don't have to be a weeb to watch anime, none of which is made with weebs in mind.

That was fucking pasta, now they are making it?

A scene like that you wouldn't need to explicitly show or even address. You can even subvert expectations by having it implied the girl in the boys body tried it first.

Because MOST anime is pure trash. Ghibli movies shouldn't even be called anime, they are like a different genre.

>You don't have to be a weeb to watch anime, none of which is made with weebs in mind.
yeah right

Most of the Oscar people do not actually watch any of the movies they have to have opinions on, so a somewhat niche market like anime only gets recognition on Ghibli level

It would not even make sense for them to be nominated, because only 5% of the Oscar voters actually watch the nominated movies before voting.

Some voters legit vote for the one that made the most money because they actually think that equals quality.

>read plot
>body switching
No wonder Oscars don’t acknowledge fetishes for the purpose of pandering.

>You don't have to be a weeb to watch anime, none of which is made with weebs in mind.

These movies alway flop here. And the that don't are trash like pokemon. The oscars are for hits. It's not some indie festival.

Oscars are a joke, everyone knows that

triggered summer kids already.

Because the academy is shit and the judges don't care about animation.

Assuming you actually want a serious answer and aren't just shitposting: Ghibli films are licensed to Disney for distribution in US, and Disney can promote like few others. Since the Oscars are the senior prom of movies, the judges or whoever really just go with whatever big name's attached to a piece.

>Because MOST anime is pure trash.
Meme. No basis in reality.

>Ghibli movies shouldn't even be called anime, they are like a different genre.
They are substantially the same.

Both of those statements are absolutely true.

Your Name has made over $350,000,000 worldwide. Not exactly an indie movie. And the anime industry is the world's biggest animation industry.

basically and the Oscars are essentially a massive circlejerk, and animation isn't a part of it.

>No basis in reality
kill yourself weeaboo

Yeah, they're made with otaku in mind. Which are even worse than weebs.

[Insert image of Japanese anime director lamenting that he can only make anime which panders to obsessive nerds because that's what sells.]

Then what was this doing there?

They don't even give a shit about western animation so it's going to be doubly so for eastern.

>Your Name has made over $350,000,000 worldwide

Basicly all of that is Japan& china. The movie wasn't big in europe. Again the western audience doesn't give a fuck.

I'm not a weeaboo. Nothing I said suggested in any possible way that I'm a weeaboo. This weeaboo mass hysteria has gotten completely out of control and if the staff wasn't asleep at the wheel they'd have word filtered it already, or flagged it as spam.

Otaku are a meme. They don't exist. That is, the version of "otaku" that Westerners keep talking about do not exist.

>[Insert image of Japanese anime director lamenting that he can only make anime which panders to obsessive nerds because that's what sells.]
That image is complete bullshit. He's the owner of an anime studio that doesn't produce any of its own works, and while he was busy doing subcontracting work there were plenty of other studios making all those muh deep and muh mature anime that Westerners are so into but never actually watch.

Because nobody from the academy watches them, so nobody votes for them, and I assume there's very little lobby for them during acolyte season unlike with Pixar/Disney shit.

That's why I said MOST. Most anime shows and movies have a very specific audience, namely japanese people and weebs. There are good anime shows like LoGH or Eva, but I don't want to cause a shitstorm by mentioning it and there are superb anime movies like Akira, GitS, EoE, just to name a few, that appeal to a wider audience and have really good animation quality and/or writing and/or something.

Ghibli on the other hand makes movies mainly for kids around the world with really high production value and a tone that makes you recognize their movies almost instantly.

What does that have to do with what I said? It still has made over $350,000,000. The world doesn't start and end with Western countries.

It's not weeb shit.
It won several european prices before.

It does for the oscar people obviously.

That was more or less a "keeping appearances" nomination. It was never going to win.

Not interested in Animeme, only one I watch is One Piece when it airs on TV,
Only thing I can tell you is that Animation Oscars are a huge ass Disney circlejerk, the guys in charge of picking the Oscar winner don't even watch the stuff, it is better to not take Oscars seriously in that category.

What anime would you give an oscar to? It could be a movie or show, any year. I'm curious.

>That's why I said MOST.
And I said it's a meme, which is what it is.

>Most anime shows and movies have a very specific audience, namely japanese people and weebs.
Weebs are not and never have been a target audience for the industry.

>There are good anime shows like LoGH or Eva, but I don't want to cause a shitstorm by mentioning it and there are superb anime movies like Akira, GitS, EoE, just to name a few
This is Babby's First Anime Starter Pack 101: Introductory Edition, and the fact that these are the anime you namedrop shows right away that you are utterly unfamiliar with anime.

The academy hates anime, yes. They also hate animation. In general, they suck and don't give a shit and just vote for the animation oscar to go to whatever movie made the most money or that their kids liked

Funimation lucked into getting Your Name before it became huge. They have no idea how to run an Oscar campaign because nothing they've ever released has been good enough to even be considered.

Oscars hate animation period, whether it's Eastern, Western, or anywhere else. Anime just tends to be even-further ignored for obvious cultural/weeaboo and marketing-inferiority reasons, Ghibli getting the least flak since it's often pretty benign (plus name-legend credit). It's all an obligatory afterthought to their pretentious unimaginative interests and pick whatever was big with their kids.

And after last-year's scandal with virtue-signaling running the show (yet nogs still call them racist for not picking actors based on race, hue), nobody with a functioning head should even be bothering with Oscars.

I'm namedropping these because even if they are starter pack-tier, they are still very very good and are recognized more in the west. But hey, show me something good and I'll change my mind about the subject.

And also don't tell me studios don't acknowledge the existence of weebs when they pay for merchandise for example.

You've already decided most anime is trash even though babby's starter pack is all you're familiar with. You're clearly already made up your mind.

>And also don't tell me studios don't acknowledge the existence of weebs when they pay for merchandise for example.
Very few people in Japan would even know what a weeb is. Very few people IN THE WEST know what a weeb is. And looking at sales statistics doesn't tell you anything about the people buying the stuff.

How come animated movies that aren't Disney always get ignored by the Academy?
FTFY
It's hard enough for Anerican animated movies to get noticed by the judges. You really think foreign animated movies are gonna have a chance?

His movies were never recognized by the Academy, but Brother Bear and Cars got noms. Fuck the Oscars.

Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow.

>Otaku are a meme. They don't exist
then trash like kememe friends obviously is some kind of japanese joke right?

>You've already decided most anime is trash even though babby's starter pack is all you're familiar with
but everything is moeshit, shonenshit, haremshit or fujoshit, the thing that don't fit are rare and still rarely are good

>it's a Sup Forums hates anime and acts superior about it while making it painfully obvious they have no idea what they're talking about episode

Kemono Friends has been a big mainstream hit in Japan, it's not an otaku thing. It's also a very good show. And like I just said the "otaku" you are talking about do not exist. Otaku exist, but your "otaku" do not. They are something you have imagined.

>but everything is moeshit, shonenshit, haremshit or fujoshit
These are all memes and also do not exist.

You just live in a little weeb fantasy world, don't you.

So I guess what you're saying is that the reason I, on several occasions, have used a random number generator to pick 5 animes at random and watched them they were pure shit is because atmospheric distortions were also in on the meme.

>Ghibli
Because it's distributed in America by Disney so it probably "doesn't count" as anime.

>You've already decided most anime is trash even though babby's starter pack is all you're familiar with.
I watched/started watching a bunch of series because I want to give anime a try. For example I really like City Hunter, Mobile Fighter Gundam, FLCL, Panty and Stocking, JoJo, but they are trash. I'm open about this stuff, but the only show that convinced me was LoGH, and that's like 130 episodes. So just throw me up some names already.

I am not a weeb and have at no point said, implied or otherwise suggested in any way that I am one. Nor do I live in a fantasy world.

>So I guess what you're saying is that the reason I, on several occasions, have used a random number generator to pick 5 animes at random and watched them they were pure shit is because atmospheric distortions were also in on the meme.
Most people are extremely biased in a multitude of ways and don't have the mental capabilities to understand anime.

Keit-ai finds a way, after all

Not Sup Forums

>Otaku exist, but your "otaku" do not.
That is the most pig-headedly ignorant thing I have seen typed on this website today. Well done, quite an accomplishment.

Actions speak louder than words. Or rather the content of your words speak louder than
your pathetic pleas of self-commentary. And what the content of your words says is that you are one insular fuck who wouldn't know a legitimate opinion if it stopped replying to you so don't even bother.

>So I guess what you're saying is that the reason I, on several occasions, have used a random number generator to pick 5 animes at random and watched them they were pure shit is because atmospheric distortions were also in on the meme.
Are you a fucking idiot? You could try that same stupid method with tv shows, movies, comics, games, music, etc and most of the time you'd still get shit. The ratio of good to bad for any medium usually leans more in favor of bad. Like how in the fuck could you ever think that was a reasonable way to get into anything?

There is nothing ignorant about it, and it's actually very simple.

If someone claims that Germans have five arms and two heads and communicate telepathically, the "Germans" he is talking about do not exist. They are a figment of his imagination. But that doesn't mean Germans aren't a real thing. This is not complicated.

There isn't anything to even respond to here, because you effectively said nothing.

I cried watching this, no lie. I'm a pussy. Then I found out this shit wasn't even technically complete. There was supposed to be more shit in the movie. I also cried during Wolf Children.

Awards voting is industry politics and then financial self interest. Sup Forums movies don't use gaffers, cinematographers, ect. And the people that they do use are almost never SAG members.

At best they would be in the ghetto with other non-hollywood films.

Disney has the advantage of putting out quite a bit of live action stuff through it's imprints, and Ghibli also has support from that halo.

Animation uses different personnel than other movies, so it's not surprising that it's at a disadvantage.

nah both movies are shit, Manga is miles better