I'm a writer

I'm a writer.

I'd like to find an artist willing to draw a comic for a script I'm writing, to create an online comic series.

How do I go about finding this person?

Also I don't want to pay them, I won't be making money either.

If at some point the site becomes profitable, either through a patron or ads. I'd be willing to share the profits with them.

Yeah, unless you are already friends with some artists, that's not going to happen. Nobody is going to work on someone else's project for free, especially not someone with absolutely nothing to his name and no connections.

Top fucking kek.

>Also I don't want to pay them
Protip: Wording it like that is a death sentence.

I'll pay them as much as I get paid from it.

Does that sound better?

No, because you're still not planning on making money initially. All you have to pay with are promises, and that won't pay the rent.

HAHAHAHAHA

>I'm a writer.
Are you? How many scripts do you have and of hat length? How much material have you written out in wordcount?

>Also I don't want to pay them
That's fine, writers and artists invest time into a project for a monetary return when their project is finished.

>I won't be making money either.
Then don't expect someone to invest time into the project.

sent ;)

>and that won't pay the rent

Neither does posting random art to deviantart every day. Applying yourself to a coherent project gives possibility of a return on your investment.

Follow these instructions:
at the local crepe/avocado toast/micro brew hipster diner theres a gender neutral bathroom. inside are several stalls. The stall in the corner against the outside wall has a circle shaped hole in it. Sit on the toilet seat there just in front of the hole. Over a course of time everyone agrees is reasonable for a quality talent search, multiple local art students and aspiring young lions of online artwork commissions, such as frequent deviantart, for example, will be sticking their erect penises into and through the hole you will be sitting in front of. each of these cocks will need to be sucked before you can reasonably judge which one explodes with the most creativity. After a dozen or so nuts have been busted in your mouth, the one that tastes like nigger cum is the artist you should work with.

Good luck, you Hoover.

But they can just do their own comic and not have to kowtow to some asshole like you.

Also "posting random art to deviantart" is still technically publishing work, work that is finished and that other people can see, and builds up a portfolio.

I'm sure this sounded funnier in your head.

>But they can just do their own comic and not have to kowtow to some asshole like you.
Why am I an asshole user? And if they could they would have.

>Also "posting random art to deviantart" is still technically publishing work, work that is finished and that other people can see, and builds up a portfolio.
And no-one's going to pay for deviantart art. People may pay for a self-published comic through many means of self-publishing available today.

If you have all the answers wtf are you doing here?

I was answering OP, and then answering another user who replied to OP.

What genre? I can't draw machines.

Someone is providing a service to you, a service that you yourself cannot perform, it stands to reason that the person that will be performing the service for you needs to be paid. You and me both know that art takes time and effort, and it's clearly something that is out of your skill range and something that you yourself are not adept at, if not you'd just draw the thing yourself; the art shouldn't matter to much if the writing is good enough to carry the comic.

>Someone is providing a service to you, a service that you yourself cannot perform
Just as the writer is providing a service that they cannot perform. It is a mutual exchange of service and a mutual investment of time for a later monetary return. Neither party is forced into it, both parties enter into a mutually consensual agreement to exchange these services and make this mutual investment.

> and it's clearly something that is out of your skill range
But I'm a skilled artist. Hence my perspective on this topic.

Sci fi cape

Mostly sci fi though

Sorry, can't help you. Write a medieval fantasy and we'll talk

boast some art nigga

Thanks anyway

>sci fi capes
Good lick, user, that's my line too. It's why I learned to draw, in fact.

Faggot.

Thanks for the laugh, user

Promise to pay them a regafe on it, claiming that they didn't do a good enough job.

Your're probably American so if your resident can do it you can too.

>Just as the writer is providing a service that they cannot perform. It is a mutual exchange of service and a mutual investment of time for a later monetary return. Neither party is forced into it, both parties enter into a mutually consensual agreement to exchange these services and make this mutual investment.
Artists can still make money without writers though

And writers can still make money without artists, it's called a book. We're talking about creating comic books.

If person A wants to create a comic book and can write and draw, this person will make their own comic book.
If person B wants to create a comic book and can write but can't draw, this person cannot make a comic book without an artist.
If person C wants to create a comic book and can draw but can't write, this person cannot make a comic book without a writer.

Person B and C can find one another, create a mutual agreement on an investment of time for a later monetary return, and be on their merry way making a comic book. The writer isn't being paid to write, the artist isn't being paid to draw, however both have an understanding that they are contributing to a project that they have confidence in that it will return their investment of time with a reward of revenue, which is why they're willing to invest the time. The writer is willing to invest the time into providing script and story for the artist because he as confidence in the artist's ability to create professional and profitable art, and the artist is investing time into creating visuals for the writer's script because he has confidence in the writer's ability to create professional and profitable narratives.

Comics are a lot of drawing, user. A lot. Pencils and inks take me on average 2 days, lettering and layouts a few hours. Nobody is doing that without cash upfront. You can logic and bullet point all you want, but you will still be sol.

The artist is doing you a favor in this situation whether you see it that way or not, you can't act like it's their privilege to illustrate your story for you. If it's going to be a freebie or a labor of love situation you better be good friends with someone who cares about your story as much as you do.

I've done illustration, I can also see why people are having a problem with your attitude, turn your ego down a notch and you might attract an artist, you come across as someone who'd be very difficult to work with and that won't fly when there's not even monetary value to the work.

This.

Ok you got me there.

Not OP but is there any way a writer can be in a similar situation and not have to shoulder the entirr burden when it comes to financial risk?

>You can logic and bullet point all you want
Yes and that's why I'm correct and you're not.

>The artist is doing you a favor
> turn your ego down

Ironic.

There's no ego here, I've thoroughly explained the objective mutual investment for a return. If you have some argument otherwise then be my guest and make it.

>you might attract an artist
lready am one, hence my perspective on the matter.

Oh, but I'm sure you'll be paying them in exposure, right?

Nah, there's a lot of ego involved in artistry where they expect others to be their meal ticket before their product has generated any revenue on the market. Hence the amount of starving artists. Expecting revenue stream before your work has even generated value is the sort of backwards business and financial reasoning you'll find in the arts.

Writers are dumb as shit, what else is new