Thoughts on Bongo?

Thoughts on Bongo?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eavo08IXduQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was it autism?

All bears have autism

great depiction of women; they will hurt you to show you love.

One of the earliest memories I have of a cartoon.

Boring as hell. Really brings down Fun and Fancy Free, which could have been a great package film if only the Bongo half were better. The one song is mildly fun. I think mostly only nostalgiafags have warm feelings for it, which I can respect.

I remember watching this all the time as a kid.

When my niece was born I was so overjoyed that I slapped her. She wasn't even a full year old. I genuinely thought I was showing her affection.

I was a retarded kid.

I always had a tense feeling watching this segment.

Like something "off", you know what I mean? Like some horrible shit was just waiting to pop off under the surface. The color palette didn't help much.

Come to think of it, Fun and Fancy Free is a movie that is somewhat unsettling. Between Bongo and Donald Duck trying to kill a cow, and Edgar Bergen in black and white trying to entertain two children in a place that seems isolated from society, there is just something uncomfortable about that movie.

Those puppets are pretty creepy in modern day. I'm sure the guy was an accomplished entertainer, but all of his scenes with the children just felt so weird. I think it was because I kept asking myself where their parents were. It didn't feel right to have a little girl's "birthday party" consisting of her alone in a house (was it even her house?) with a ventriloquist. And I think one other little boy, I can't really remember.

SPOOPY
But really I know what you mean

youtube.com/watch?v=eavo08IXduQ
This was on some VHS tape, and also always spooked me as a kid, for more obvious reasons

>a ghost pops out
>he's got a duck's feet, a duck's tail poking out, and the outline of a beak under his sheet

I'm very disappointed Donald didn't take off his ghost costume at some point.

Being a woman, you should know well.

Pretty, dull. They'd have been better off expanding Mickey and the Beanstalk and abandoning Bongo all together.

Sometimes I wonder why the don't turn some of these half-movies into a feature by just adding about twenty minutes of animation. Sleepy Hollow, Wind in the Willows, The Reluctant Dragon, even Brer Rabbit would work. But Bongo is unsalvagable. You can make a Brer Rabbit movie before Bongo the domestic violence bear movie.

The circus opening feels a little too much like Dumbo
That girl bear is cute (not hot though)
Ending fight scene really drags it down

WWII and an animator's strike were going on. There wasn't enough money or willing manpower (since, you know, they weren't getting paid enough) to make feature films, and it was cheaper to just throw short films together.

Mickey and the Beanstalk and certain other films that ended up in packages were going to be feature length, though. Notice how MatB is missing some very important scenes that are just quickly narrated instead of animated.

I also heard that a lot of important production material was just straight up lost when the army took over the studio.

They could have done a feature any time since, though. They could do it now. They've changed narrators, and they basically turned three Pooh shorts into a movie, no reason they can't do it now.

I fuck love Fun and Fancy Free.

It would be a waste. Normies wouldn't care or want it, and purefags would complain "not muh" no matter how it turned out. That leaves a very small niche of people who would be interested, and they probably wouldn't shell out much money for it. There just wouldn't be much gain for the effort.

I suppose. They did finally sort of make the Dali thing.

That's a really nice short, but I think making that short out of materials they had never fully released and expanding an already "completed" and released half a movie into a feature film are very different types of projects.