Home video versions of movies should be required to look exactly like their theatrical releases did...

Home video versions of movies should be required to look exactly like their theatrical releases did, with no changes in color balance, automated dirt cleanup or other meddling. "Improving", and "upgrading" visuals of old movies should be punishable by death.

Debate this.

>tfw have the laser disc rips on dvd

What's wrong with the bottom image? It's better than the top one

How so?

It's no longer original, and it's CGI doesn't even look particularly good to stand on it's own

Well for starters, the planet they took off from is in the background. It makes destroying the Death Star more urgent because of how close it is to the planet.

Diff user here but seriously, not every addition made for the SE is bad, some shots like the one in the OP or the Millenium Falcon arriving in Cloud City are pretty good and integrate quite well.

The spacecraft are clearer, the background makes more sense too.

>It's no longer original,
We're discussing a piece of art, what's more important the creator's intent or the limits of technology?

>We're discussing a piece of art, what's more important the creator's intent or the limits of technology?

Are you serious? In what world is tampering with an old art piece okay? Would you defend "improving" Michelangelo's David now, that we have better, more precise tools?

>Would you defend "improving" Michelangelo's David now, that we have better, more precise tools?

Absolutely not. Michelangelo is dead.

If while Michelangelo was still alive he wanted to go back to David and make a few adjustments with his new chisel then that's completely ok in my book.

That's the situation we have with Star Wars. The creator is making the changes.

Same. I have the DVD rips of the Gout.

I highly recommend EVERYONE to rewatch them, ANH gets so much more grittier and pulpy without the CGIs they added in the special editions. Its almost another movie. Same with Empire and cloud city scenes.

I believe we have a right to view these classic films in their original form. I'm fine with updating them but the original release should always be available.

Nothing in the OT looks particularly good though.

>If while Michelangelo was still alive he wanted to go back to David and make a few adjustments with his new chisel then that's completely ok in my book.

This is not a similar situation. Special effects technology advanced significantly from 1977 to 1997, and CGI was non-existent when Star Wars was first made. So Michelangelo would use laser and precise mechanical arms instead of just a new chisel.

The DVDs are garbage, get the Despecialized edition.

Not to mention it was already a widely recognized piece of art that won awards and people loved. George had no right to take that away from the world.

>George had no right to take that away from the world.

So not giving them anamorphic widescreen DVDs or Bluray now means they were taken away?

If you want them, you'll know where to find them, it's always been like this.

The change in technology doesn't change the principle, it still holds in my opinion. If you like the creator's refined vision less then that's too bad, the artist has a right to refine and revise his work.

>George had no right to take that away from the world.
But he did.

It's you who has no right to say what an artist can do with their own art. The only way you'd have a leg to stand on is fine George paid for the filming of Star Wars with your taxes... but he didn't. So you have no say and no right.

>is fine George paid
is if* George paid

I have the last edition on VHS before the special editions. I think my parents still have one of the first releases of the VHS. Either way, no matter what non-special edition you have, theatrical release version was never released. Disney did say that they will look into and with their purchase of Fox, it's very likely that they will release it for millions of shekels.

Fox? I thought Lucas had all the Star Wars rights?

>the artist has a right to refine and revise his work.
Yes. But the audience should have the right to the original work in high definition.

Nope, Fox had their hands in OT. That's why George went completely 100% do it yourself on the prequels.

Minor touch-ups like color/contrast correction, or remastering the sound are okay. The lighting conditions and audio setup of a living room are different to that of a film theatre, so tweaking it is arguably preferable. I think it's done with pretty much every movie.

Making Greedo shoot first is obviously indefensible.

Well well, looks like Disney has complete control over the Xmen and Star Wars too now, their 4 billions now seems cash change, should have given more to Lucas.

I wonder if they tried to buy Time Warner (DC Comics) they would be stopped.

and then Lucas sells you Han shot first shirt too. To add insult to the injury.

The problem has always been that Lucas hasn't made the original theatrical version available even though he could have.

When Ridley Scott releases a new version of Blade Runner he still makes sure that you can get all of the other popular versions as well. He releases a really nice box set a while back for Final Cut that had five different cuts of the film.

>Lucas emerges from the shadows, finally showing his true form
>"checkmate Mouse" as he slaps 10 billion shekels on the desk
>"Finally I can have muh star wars back AND get my revenge"

The 2011 version is the one and only canon and is a net improvement over the original theatrical release. Deal with it.

THey should look the absolute best they can as they were originaly intended. And by originall intended, I mean the original release, not what the director "wishes" he could have included.

This is true. It's why Disney is putting out new movies so fast. They need leverage nostalgia while displacing the old stuff which starts to look poodoo even at 1080p, and is jarringly crude at 4K.

>If you like the creator's refined vision less then that's too bad, the artist has a right to refine and revise his work.

What if the changes are as drastic as in Star Wars? Let's go back to Michelangelo, what if he decided to add a second head to his sculpture, or cut of it's penis or something, and then claimed that was his vision all along?

In the case of Star Wars, there is also another problem. You keep saying that the creator has a right to refine his work. Thing is, George isn't the sole creator of Star Wars. Hundreds of people worked on it. Do they all have a right to go back and revisit their work? Or if only George has that privilege for some reason, isn't that basically spitting on those other people's legacy? They worked hard back in 1977 to make this movie: the special effects guys went above and beyond to make the Death Star assault look as good as possible with the limited resources they had, and George just threw it all into garbage. The editors basically saved the movie from being a bloated piece of shit, intelligible only to George himself, and yet 20 years later he made numerous changes that change the pace of the movies, not understanding what made them good in the first place.

People seem to forger that George wasn't even the director for two thirds of the original trilogy, why should he be the one with absolute creative control for home video releases?

Hmm. Some fair points there, I concede that. I think you're still wrong about the Michelangelo example. If if added a second head and claimed it was his vision then that's fine with me.

Your argument's stronger when you talk about the "other creators". I think that despite everything the story is Lucas' and that definitely counts for something, but you are right it's unfair to talk about him as the only creator of the Star Wars films.