Define "edgy", prove it's more than a meaningless buzzword

Define "edgy", prove it's more than a meaningless buzzword

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LS6S_vKa-b0
youtube.com/watch?v=p2kdUjPOHaY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Something that tries too hard to be mature.

When you stick a gerbil up your ass

It IS just a meaningless buzzword. Discussion on each board is nothing but the same five empty phrases that are cycled endlessly.

edgy

Picture is worth a thousand words

Back to reddut

>A guy die when he's killed
>People on Sup Forums crap their pants

And what's the prize? You fucking off?

He was the best there was, and he was ready to prove it

Provocatory and grim material presented in a ridiculous, ill-fitting context with neither qualitative humor nor a proper developed message or dilema, that is only presented in such way to garner attention for it's shocking nature and lacks depth or meaning to itself, thus only valorated positively by an immature, insecure audience seeking to display harshness and nihilistic merit.

In my opinion, edgy is when something tries hard to be dark for the sake of being meaningful and thought-provoking only for the result to be ham-fisted and even more shallow as a result of the way they handle it.

Look at Tokyo Ghoul. It's supposed to be a show about how humans and Ghouls can live in coexistence. But then the Ghouls eat people, you have Mado going around gleefully killing what looks like a little human girl while everyone compliments on him being such a good Ghoul killer, there's a guy who dresses up like Jason Vorhees which is never really commented on. It feels kind of ridiculous that it tries to take itself so seriously when its characters are so cartoonish.

Something that wants to be mature and adult but has no real depth. Goes too far trying to be taken seriously and lacks the selfawareness to see that.

I don't see how ghouls and humans could coexist considering one needs to devour the other for sustenance.

>that page with the baby

Anything I don't like or don't get is edgy

My favorite character dies? Edgy

A female character gets raped? Edgy

Written by Frank Miller? Oh you better believe I'll call it edgy before I even read it

That was one of the issues I pointed out, yes.

If you know anything about 40k then it's basically 40k without the self awareness. Needless grimdark for the sake of grimdark no humor or satire to be found.

To be fair they don't have to kill humans to feed.
Though I guess there's only so many willing dead bodies to consume.

>Main character is named IRA RATH

Get it? Get it? Rath because sounds like WRATH and Ira because it's the latin word of WRATH.
His name is WRATH WRATH. He's a Man of Wrath. And he's angry with everyone. Get it?
So deep you guys.

In proper usage it just means something that push the boundary off what is acceptable.

In online usage it has fallen into the problem of people misunderstanding the word definition and changing it's context. Critics and writers used edgy to define the gritty and dark stories fiction veered to in the 80's and 90's, and with that context people assume one is the same as the other. Therein lies the problem of attempting to define it in the current usage, because most will be walking around with a slight variation of someone else.

Punisher 2099 is actually pretty good in context.

>Written by Frank Miller? Oh you better believe I'll call it edgy before I even read it

To be fair, that one is kind of a given.

Consuming dead bodies brings up issues, too. What if this person was murdered and by eating them, you're interfering in a police investigation or making it look as though they were killed by Ghouls? What if this person was a runaway who had people looking for them? What about all of the consumed dead people whose families won't be able to bury their remains?

>I'm only doing it if there's gain for me!
edgy

Over-importance on dark, gritty, or depressing imagery/themes? Spawn is edgey

>It's supposed to be a show about how humans and Ghouls can live in coexistence

How did you manage to be so wrong right off the bat?

>Kaneki and his friend
>Touka and her friend
>the whole Mado scenario

Maybe it falls apart with the conflict in Season 2, but the first season of the show is suggesting the idea that it's possible.

>Nishki and his waifu
>Anteiku making a big deal about how they don't prey on living humans

>examples of a theme mean the entire show revolves around that single concept

Does the concept of shows having multiple themes not exist in your part of the world yet?

Are you an edgelord OP? Because that's the only reason you'd be trying to trivialize the word "edgy"

>having multiple themes means that the show isn't making that point

Yeah actually. You're acting like the whole show zeros in on how ghouls and humans should just hold hands and sing kumbaya when it doesn't. They show all that conflict specifically to point out how that dream is a difficult one bordering on unrealistic. You're not asking genius questions that Ishida never bothered to think up, you're pointing out really obvious shit that you're supposed to be thinking about while you watch/read it.

Capitalizing off of traditionally grave/provocative topics because you're too inept to draw drama forth from more mundane subjects.

It applies to everything from Sonic OCs to Sarah Silverman. We think of it as a buzzword because it applies itself in diverse ways even though the underlying causes are always the same. People always seem to be aware of it happening, but only on a subconscious level that leads them to ponder the relative circumstances instead of the actual psychology behind it.

As far as I can make out "edgy" occurs when middle brow middle aged profiteers are looking to suck the energy (not to mention spending money) out of the quote unquote "youth culture". So they come up with this fake concept of seeming to be dangerous when every move they make is the result of market research and a corporate master plan.

Reliant on shock value.
Superficial and taken at face value.
Lacks depth or complexity.

Hey look got it in one, good job.

>before I even read it
don't pretend you're going to read it, user

here I defined it
youtube.com/watch?v=LS6S_vKa-b0

cuck

nice try
youtube.com/watch?v=p2kdUjPOHaY

Pointless shock value is edgy, like the abortion incest bomb in Nemesis or Blob eating Wasp in Ultimatum.

Except perhaps the bullshit with Jimmy Olsen, there is nothing edgy about Mos or Bvs they are just honest straight serious handlings of their materials asking valid questions of what would happen with these characters under this set of context and constraints.

These two hit the nail on the head

Honestly, there are so many ways to make your character a corrupt being while not making them cringy that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone over the age of 10.

Were you that fucker on /mlp/ today?

Anything i don't like.

Shock value is shock value, MoS and BvS is the embodiment of edgy.
Doesn't mean they're bad.

Sonic the Hedgehog was technically designed and created to be "edgy", when compared to other platformers and mascots. Like, most other platformers were more slowpaced and blocky and stuff, but look at Sonic's Speed, and those loops, etc! And Mario and others are depicted as nice good guys who you'd expect to have manners and follow the rules and are polite, etc, but look at Sonic, he's cool, he's got attitude, he doesn't follow the rules, he does whatever the heck he wants whenever he wants!

Nowadays, the concept of "edgy" has been redefined to suit Shadow the Hedgehog, rather than his blue counterpart. Specifically, in his own game that was released in 2005, where Shadow wields guns and uses swear words, with a destroyed city with explosions during an alien invasion of black and red creatures, and stuff.

I guess you could say that edgy was originally used to described people/things that went against social norms in the name of challenging what is acceptable and to be unique. But now like you said it has been redefined as something that tries to be mature/shocking for the sake of it to try make it itself theme more subversive and deep then it actually is. Typically it's either a scam dum teenagers or the creator he/herself is a teenager trying to look cool
But that's how language works, words get forgotten, new words get invented and words change in meaning

I miss the old definition of "epic". Fucking early Internet children ruined that word.

>Sonic the Hedgehog was technically designed
REdesigned*.
While Naka certainly intended to give him a 'tude it was more impatient, direct and daring than provoking. It was when the concept got to the west they decided to keep pushing it to contrast Mario and convention as much as possible.

JP and US Sonic since agreed to disagree and had different characterizations for their promotion of the character. As the Sonic Team of America did more work with the series their characterization stuck more with the Sonic Adventure series being the tipping point.

Mind I've got no ill will to the western version, I'm just clearing the record.

something that's jagged and sharp around it's perimeter

Daria makes me cringe.

Tense, nervous, or irritable.

Shock for the sake of it.

That was elegant as Hell, user.

Damn, I enjoyed his Blade. What happened?

What

Tokyo Ghoul pisses me off in general
Ghouls are whiny shits and quinques are the most unimaginative thing ever fuckin conceived

Pull the other one.

This seems like the right thread to post in.

In a story I'm working on, an antagonist is a dead ringer of a protagonist. He happens to be rich and bored with his life. Drastically searching for a way to entertain himself, he adapts a "villain" persona and starts messing with the protagonist, playing out different hero-villain chemistry tropes.

However, as time goes by, he naturally starts finding being a "villain" and thus, always in the wrong, hurtful to his ego, and becomes paranoid and consumed by trying to rationalize it. That ends up in one of the more important arcs where he's tricking the protag into believing that he has a reason for being "a villain" because of childhood trauma and that not he, but his abusers should be blamed. Due to his vast resources he has access to a secret technology allowing limited time-travelling. He uses that to travel himself and the protag back to his childhood to show the trauma that occured. Then he paralizes the hero, ambushes his childhood self and rapes himself as a child in a drastic attempt to create an actual childhood trauma, rationalize his "villainy" and to mess with the protag more. This creates a time paradox but doesn't affect the present much, so when they're back, he hysterically tries blaming the protag and playing out the "you could've prevented this" cliche.

The protag is shocked and emotionally confused, but at the end he still manages to deliver a speech, explaining that the antag himself is still to blame for everything he has done and that he's just trying to create excuses for being a self-indulged freak ruining other people's lives. The antag is left lying in his own office, having nobody to blame but himself, emotionally broken, switching from laughing to sobbing, not sure anymore which of his memories were with him to begin with and which are the result of the pain he inflicted among himself.

Cont.

This particular arc is meant to play on the fact that whenever most stories try bringing in moral ambiguity and making up a tragic backstory for the villain to show that "nobody is truly born evil" they just end up dumping all of the blame on the next party (i.e., the villain's abusers, who are supposedly truly born evil), which is kinda contradictory to the ambiguity theme. I thought it'd be neat to put the "abuser" and the "tragic villain' roles into one character to create a situation where blame cannot really be shifted to other parties.

So I'm asking you Sup Forums, is this too edgy?

How did the hell did he get it up to a little boy?

Mettle exploding seemed a tad edgy to me

So we can stop calling Crossed edgy now.

Yes, because I want people who randomly dump their story ideas onto Internet forums to feel insecure.

>He happens to be rich and bored with his life.
I'm already bored with his premise.
>he adapts a "villain" persona
Nothing else, absolutely no other avenue of interest aside from one that services the plot?
Nothing to even actually rationalize how he came upon the idea, he just decided it and then later questions it and then decides not to question it? Magic.
>However, as time goes by, he naturally starts finding being a "villain" and thus, always in the wrong, hurtful to his ego
Imagine that. The money mustn't have bought a very good education.
>important arcs where he's tricking the protag into believing that he has a reason for being "a villain" because of childhood trauma
It's like watching someone try and start a camp fire underwater to keep warm
>Due to his vast resources he has access to a secret technology allowing limited time-travelling.
FUCK ME.
>rapes himself as a child in a drastic attempt to create an actual childhood trauma, rationalize his "villainy"
Is this a metaphor for reading this?
>"you could've prevented this" cliche.
Did you hear your folks whisper that and think up a reason to write it out?

Here's my advice. Get yourself an MRI, isolate the exact region where these ideas formed and schedule a lobotomy.

I'm merely posting whatever needs to be posted in the context of this thread, i. e. what can be interpeted as being edgy. I'm not here to write loads of posts explaining the setting and every single piece of character, so you're not really focusing on the question I was asking.

no, Sup Forums gets mad when a guy gets killed but it turns out he doesn't die

>rapes himself as a child
This is a joke, right?

You're asking me if this hamfisted, contrived, strawman attempt to critique the introduction of nature vs nurture themes and the philosophical concession towards recognizing the existence of evil is one of uncertainty to avoid oversimplification of aspects of the human experience in writing is too edgy and bereft of any nuance of basic sense to even begin to formulate an idea before it can even think of being an argument?

The answer is no, it's just silly. It lost whatever defining aspects were required to seriously evaluate it, its point or its problems long ago like The Unfunnies.

He rapes himself as a kid. You can't be serious, right?

>not liking selfcest

that was a good episode

But it's supposed to be traumatizing, not arousing, you degenerate bastard.

like 0.05% of rape in stories is well done and not hamfisted dramabait