Let's talk about the 1984 Transformers cartoon. Did it age well...

Let's talk about the 1984 Transformers cartoon. Did it age well? If I'm expecting a decent character-driven action drama like Animated or Beast Wars, am I going to be disappointed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SOIm6tVqKCE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Did it age well?
No.

>am I going to be disappointed?
Yes.

>If I'm expecting a decent character-driven action drama like Animated or Beast Wars, am I going to be disappointed?
If you're spoiled by modern cartoons, yes, most shows from the 80's are going to be utter garbage. Jem is probably the only good drama-toon from that era that's still watchable today.

It is great.

>Jem is probably the only good drama-toon from that era that's still watchable today.

Firstly, your use of the word "drama" there is highly questionable and second, fuck Jem, the Lorenzo Music seasons of Real Ghostbusters are objectively the best 80's cartoon.

Nigger, look at the fucking quality in your picture. It can best be appreciated as a campy gag show nowadays, like a less camp Transformers equivalent of 60s Batman.

The movie is when anything new happened, and most fans at the time hated the changes.

youtube.com/watch?v=SOIm6tVqKCE

It's a toy commercial, user

Sometimes its barely even a coherent cartoon. Season 3 tries at continuity but is still pretty bad.

Season 3 had the most watchable episodes

>Did it age well?

Not really. If you're a fan of the franchise as a whole I'd say it's still a little charming, but I can personally only really bear watching a couple random episodes at a time every now and then. I'd recommend picking your favorite decepticons and just checking the episodes they're prominent in.

The movie is a different matter entirely, definitely check that shit out.

>If I'm expecting a decent character-driven action drama like Animated or Beast Wars, am I going to be disappointed?

Oh hell yes. You need to understand that cartoons being seen as anything other than glorified toy commercials or vapid trash for kids is still pretty recent (in the west at least). With the exception of the movie, most of the original Transformers cartoons will fall into one of those two categories.

I lived breathed and dreamed of Transformers back in the day. I went back and watched it and nothing about it holds up. Not the animation, not the stories. The voices are good but even masters like Frank Welker and Michael Bell are phoning it in at times because of how insipid it all is.

If I'm expecting a decent character-driven action drama like Animated or Beast Wars, am I going to be disappointed?
Protip: there's a reason why Beast Wars and Animated are usually grouped together and don't include G1.

G1 is fun. Beat machines the deepest.

Both connect and have loose cannon.

>did it age well
Its like old fryer oil, it did its job back in its day but now its just some weird sludge that'll get you sick if you eat it.

There's a handful of actually good episodes, but honestly it's not worth it.

pic related best episode

The original pilot where Megatron didn't job constantly is still alright.

In my opinion, the characters aged better than the show ever could. If that makes sense.

Bad animation even for it's time but the scripts are pretty good. "Dark Awakening" is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

Its cheesy as all hell, not nearly as good as beast wars, but i found it to be enjoyable

This is superfluous information in the context of my post and I wonder why you responded at all.

Because you want to be cocksucking hipster into shit no one cares about.

Like Starman fans.

Best episode is the Golden Lagoon

G1 Transformers is some of the best worst shit you'll ever watch.
Everytime you watch you'll wonder to yourself how in the fuck did this franchise last 40 years..
Animation errors out the yingyang. miscolored frames every scene-- sometimes several in the same shot. The animation on this show some episodes makes Steven Universe looks like Disney's Fantasia.

And then Optimus Prime rip a jet plane in half with his bare hands or shoot the fuck out of some Decepticon asshole... Megatron will say some slick gangster shit and then beat the everliving fuck out of Starscream's schemin ass. ...Basically, it' the hypest shit ever.

Look, man.
Asking if G1 Transformers is any good is like asking if 80's WWF wrestling is any good.
If you go in with that mentality then you'll have a better appreciation of the show.

It's dumb goofy fun. It's not a hallmark of television excellence or anything.

>Did it age well?

It's about as well animated as any other piece of shit cartoon these days. Better, in some cases. I'd put it about average.

Only if you don't like goofy shows from the 80's. It's really not serious, and has a lot of zany ideas going on all over the place and has little continuity even with itself (see: all those origins for the fucking Constructicons etc).

>Did it age well?
Hell no, Animation, while drafted better than anything H-B or Filmation could muster isn't much better and roughly on par with shows like TMNT '87 and Steven Universe for the sheer amount of animation gaffes and art style changes.

If you're in a good mood, then maybe watch for how cheesy it can get. If not. Then just stick to those shows.