Is Jonathan Hickman the best writer in comics today?

Is Jonathan Hickman the best writer in comics today?

fuck no, he doesn't even know what human emotion is

by default, yes

preffer the first version of secret wars :v

he was good enough, a real ot miss guy who missed snd hit hard

Comics as in cape comics? Probably.
Comics as in the entire medium? Definitely not.

if secret wars had actually looked like that image, and post-secret wars actually had repaired the marvel universe, instead of doubling down on the sjw bullshit, yes. yes he would be the best.

but that didn't happen, so he's just pretty good. better than anything marvel has now for sure though.

Lapham, Brubaker and Ennis are still writing. Ellis would be there as well if he was doing any longer runs without a lot of delays. And those are just the mainstream writers.

He doesn't even write Cape comics now.

Not even close.

I loved his fantastic four run

Did they ever explain what happened to superior ironman during secret wars?

Nigga he ded.

Brubaker's boring as fuck.

>He doesn't even write Cape comics now.
Yeah, now he's writing sci-fi.
He's fun, but he still writes nothing but vapid cape and genre fiction-tier shit.

Yeh but how

Loved his whole marvel run and stand as the best capeshit run.

But i know that i'm absolutely biased because i hoped in the train with him and when he finished Secret Wars i stopped giving a fuck.

Secret Wars was absolutely horrendous, the last good thing Hickman did was his Fantastic Four run.

It was all worth it because of his Fantastic Four run.

secret wars was bad, but all the avengers books he did leading up to that were great, fuck off.

is he even still writing

none of your vanity projects please

what serious publisher is carrying regular material from this former author

Hickman fucked up by not including The Beyonder in his run, the entity was vital on his whole stuff and the fact that he never made an appearance was reallly odd.

this

If Marvel had any fucking sense they would've given him a raise to stay with them to write a Black Panther solo w/Ribic art

the aliens who created everything in his run were the beyonders, idiot.

>Hickman Black Panther solo w/Ribic art
Why must you hurt me like this.

I know that that's why i made the distiction of The Beyonder.

If you'd like to hurt yourself even more, read Coates' dogshit

>everyone is retarded dicks
It was standard modern Marvel in pretty packaging.

If he gets the Legion of Super Heroes he will be

Say what you will about Hickman but Avengers/New Avengers was the most fun I've ever had reading Marvel

You must not have read much Marvel then.

I've read tons of Marvel. Weekly discussion with Sup Forums and other forums about what the fuck was going on made Hickman's run really fun.

He's has the best ideas. but he's not the best writer. He's not even great.

He's a B+ player.

so, you make him do the plot. who does the writing?

Me

Yeah but shitposting isn't quality otherwise Darkseid Wars is the pinnacle of modern capeshit.

Look, I'm not going to defend the entirety of Secret Wars, but it was a nice send-off to the Fantastic Four since they were going to disappear anyway.

Oh, right. Hickman is so exciting.
His Fantastic Four was awful.

>His Fantastic Four was awful.
Care to explain why? Seriously, Hickman has been the first guy in years to get that Fantastic Four isn't really a superhero team. There's a bunch of issues where there's no requisite fight scene like you see in most other superhero comics.

For what it's worth, I do think his Fantastic Four is better to read in trades than when it came out as single issues.

Fantastic Four is inherently character-driven and writing actual characters is Hickman's greatest weakness. Everything feels absolutely unnatural and fake when he even attempts to have humanizing moments. Not that he cares much about that, he prefers to waste time on boring cosmic level-shit that keeps on dragging.

>all the avengers books he did leading up to that were great
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hickman can't pace a story to save his life. He's good for world building but that only underlines how weak he is on plot (see: every ending he's ever written.)

Haven't read his FF run in ages but I remember him being really bad about team interactions. Which is a bit of an issue for a series that relies on the Swiss Family Robinson/Lost in Space style family adventures. I'd put Claremont's run above Hickman's, to be honest.

His FF is the last time his characters were real. For all it's worth, his FF is the best post 2000 FF run.

Secret Wars was an overrated and unsolicitedly ambitious event supposed to cap that era's Avengers run but instead showed he never really left the Fantastic Four comic that doesn't exist anymore, so I'd say read his FF instead. If you like the trend of event remakes like Civil War II or Secret Umpire you can thank its sales boost as well. Ribic is a great artist but time will vindicate his Thor run as better.

The start of his Ultimates run was one of the most hype stuff i've been around to witness.

Forever butthurt.

Hickmeme

>His FF is the last time his characters were real.
No. There was nothing real about the way Hickman writes characters.
>his FF is the best post 2000 FF run.
No x2

Oh the good old days, a new reading order image every Weds and oh the excitement. FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

>All that people asking the reading order to hop in the Maker's wild ride beacuse of the monthly hype.
Where the fuck did monday go.

>Is Jonathan Hickman the best writer in comics today?
Roberto Recchioni is better.

>No. There was nothing real about the way Hickman writes characters.
Disagree. They had personality and emotions, they had their human struggles. Nothing that has been in a Hickman comic since.
>No x2
Then tell me which is better and please don't say Waid.

Aguirre-Sacasa
Grant Morrison

No. That's Chris Ware.

>not a run
>not a run
So nothing?

That's a funny way of spelling Adrian Tomine user.

>lasted for 27 issues with several arcs
>not a run
Ok.
I give you Morrison's mini, though. Still, if we're going by the logic of "only mainline comic counts" you have trash like Millar's run being better than which is a really low bar to set.
>let my edgy Gary Stu OC kill Aunt Petunia for the sake of cheap shock value
Fuck, man. Why did you make me remember it? I was trying to erase it.

I dunno. Tomine's probably a better writer just in terms of narrative sense and prose, but I feel like Ware does more with the medium.

I actually haven't read Aguirre-Sacasa's run so I can't comment on the quality but I've read Waid, Straczynski, McDuffie, Millar, Hickman, Fraction and Robinson and Hickman is easily the best out of all these guys.

Uh no, I already told you, Hickman is bad and can't write real characters

Helicarrier fell on him and Old Vet Steve slugging it out.