This run hasn't aged that well, even if it's important in the history of comics

This run hasn't aged that well, even if it's important in the history of comics.

Agreed though you could say that for alot of old comics.

they should've included Green Beetle too

He didn't exist back then

>Told my friend that's a racist bigot who can't stand entertainment not made in the past ten years to buy this
>It's sat on his shelf for 4 years without being read past ten pages

Morrison talked about it not aging well in Supergods. He said Ollie came across as a hippie in the throws of mid-life crisis and that Hal's character development in his own series was sidelined to make him the bumbling conservative straight man to the hip Green Arrow.

>Racist Bigot
>Can't stand entertainment not made in the past ten years

Well that's fucking weird. Does he not know a lot of old entertainment is going to have the same values he has?

Kill yourself, you fucking idiot casual.

why would you tell him to buy it when it was obvious he wasn't going to enjoy it?

>He said Ollie came across as a hippie in the throws of mid-life crisis

That's the best Ollie though.

>Hal's character development in his own series was sidelined to make him the bumbling conservative straight man to the hip Green Arrow.

Yeah this sucked. He wasn't really conservative, so much as just uninformed. Which was stupid. "Hey space cop who saves worlds, my rent is high because my landlord is racist. HOW ABOUT THAT?" Just... okay what?

He's a cunt and no longer my friend.
He's not liked by anyone in my friend group anymore actually.

Why is it important?

>everytime I see this nigga I think he's an Omniverse alien or something.

One of the first comics to be treated seriously by non-geeks. It won an Academy Award, believe it or not.

Also it almost permanently changed Green Arrow's character until the New 52 and Arrow came along.

>It won an Academy Award, believe it or not.
I don't believe this comic won an award for movies.

kk

If true, that sucks because I wanted to read it.

There's no category for best comic. I think that cover is lying.

There was for one year user. They add and remove new awards all the time. Amazing Spider-man #121 was also nominated iirc.

It won alongside My Mother Didn't Take It In That Hole 9 in the Best Hentai category.

it's not that its bad just very very dated in the 70's and O'Neil is not very subtle with the messages

It's still worth a read. It's just that the things that made it great are best understood in context of its time. Some classics can be read at any time in your life and loved. Some require you to know where the world and their home industry were at when they were made.

I got the trade recently
It didn't age THAT bad in my opinion. It has its faults though

I think Percy has made an interesting response to what Morrison says about GLGA, (at least the way people read into what Morrison said) by including the political involvement under the umbrella of nostalgic camp. Rather than treating politics as something cynically inserted into a fun comic, Percy has made politics part of the fun by tackling it in as campy and broad a way as possible, like Ollie fighting a surveillance droid named panopticon or a white supremacist who dips his black victims in bleach.

>makes "racist bigot" friend buy a book celbrating bluepill Olle.
>calls said friend a cunt who no one in the group hangs out with anymore.

Frankly, given what counts as a "racist bigot" these days, I'm more inclined to say the "cunt" involved is you and your other friends. 2000% Sweetie.

just give him a green lantern ring to make his op'ness complete.

Well it specifically targets social and political issues and, by their very nature, those issues are prone to changing and evolving over time. It only makes sense that it would age like milk that's been in the sun for too long. That being said, I still enjoy it immensely for what it was in the context of its time.

I don't really think it's the fact that it tackles issues of the day that's the issue. Every work of art is somehow social commentary and has the burden of standing the test of time. There are Spirit comics that if I didn't know any better I'd think were made just a decade or two ago.I think O'Neil's heavy handed writing style is what makes it old.

It showed that cape comics could talk about "issues" in a more honest way and helped cape comics mature

It wasn't the first time, but it was the first entire run to really center around it