When was the exact year/moment/win/nomination that made you stop giving a shit about the oscars?

When was the exact year/moment/win/nomination that made you stop giving a shit about the oscars?

When Slumdog Millionaire beat The Curious Case of Benjamin Button for Best Picture

?

theyre both trash

when my Sup Forumsbros said to. I'm not popular enough to be different

When Emil Jannings won Best Actor in 1927

The villeneuvefags butthurt is really delightful.

when Ellen's fucking selfie was the highlight of the evening.

Inception losing Best Picture to The King's Speech in 2010. King's Speech is good, but it's a fairly run of the mill Oscarbait drama. Inception was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

Inb4 Nolan haters

It's hilarious how they've pretended to be high brow cinema posters yet this has proven them to be not even middle but low brow plebs

Don't give in to spectacle, user.

When they started nominating faggot flicks

Midnight Express

I haven't watched a broadcast in about 15 years.

But I'd say last year and this year would be the years where I simply had zero interest or cared about them in any form.

Before I would say;

>Oh, that should have won
Or
>It would be good if this won

Now the only way I'll even know who won is because of Sup Forums. When you look at this years nominees, it appears to be largely meaningless. Like it's not even Oscar b8 anymore. This looks like a poor line up of festivals films no one cares about. Every single one of them seems like the movies that usually come close but miss out on getting nominations.

Seriously...Get Out? That's not even "shocking" - it's just confusing.

Around 2010

Get Out was nominated for Best Picture and Best Director.

When Hugo won best Cinematography over The Tree of Life
In general the Cinematography awards have gone to the wrong films. Deakins has been robbed at least 3 times now.

I honestly never did, always saw it as one big circle jerk. It's some random committee of old Hollywood cronies doing the selection...what merit do they actually hold? It's not exactly an objective meter.

>12 Years a Slave and not Whiplash
>Gayniggers from Outer Space and not La La Land
And also fucking Jordan Peele being an oscar nominated director is stupid as shit

Sean Penn winning over Mickey Rourke

It was building up from George W fervor, it was always liberal but it became just an extreme shitflinging SJW virtue signal fest in the past 15 years

I want to see the post win and watch the ensuing fellatio fest

>La La Land
GENES

shakespeare in love over saving private ryan

winner is in the bargain bin untouched and loser is shown in history classes throughout the U.S.

This year if Call Me By Your name doesn't sweep the oscars.

when assassination of jesse james wasn't even nominated

It's not just that. The twists and turns the story took, the way it made me question what was 'real' or a dream in the movie, Leo's character arc, and the way the movie was an allegory for filmmaking. It really resonated with me, plus you've got Leo and Tom Hardy, two of my favorites.

It just seemed wrong that it lost to a much more straightforward movie like The King's Speech, even if I fucking love Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.

And? That should tell you about the Oscars. The so called high brow villenolans are upset about not getting those two noms in a "ceremony" like this?

Low brow garbage men

INTERLINKED

Plenty of things.

Frozen>The Wind Rises was a big one, along with the multiple interviews of Academy members where they admit to only seeing a few of the animated movies each year and voting for what their kids liked best (invariably the Disney/Pixar entry). The absurdity of these nominations for Get Out is pretty disappointing, especially with Peele getting a nom for Director.

But they have been shit for a long time now. In 1995 The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction lost to Forrest Gump for best picture.

The Academy wants to be as diverse as they possibly can. Not even white men can save the Oscars.

Brave beating Wreck it Ralph

When I turned 16 basically, 12 years ago

All three of those are tech. What's the problem?

Feel free to like what you like but I just can't get over many glaring flaws in the script, or the non-existent directing overall. Feels like wasted potential and could have been much better.

It's gotta be when "Slumdog millionaire" won bp. Not that 2008 was a particularly good year for movies, but i was still insulted that that peice of shit was so much as even nominated. "The Artist" winning in 2010, or 2011, whenever that was, was the nail in the coffin.

>shakespeare in love over saving private ryan
*shakespeare in love over The Thin Red Line

Hans Zimmer losing to Trent Reznor, Inception soundtrack vs. Social Network soundtrack

Zimmer influenced the next 5 years of movie soundtracks with his work on Inception, and it was a great soundtrack, the man always surprises me with how great his work is.

I didn't mind Reznor's work on Social Network. Lots of synth and electronic, but it just wasn't interesting or anything special.

Shaving Ryan's Privates was shit. More schmaltz from Spieljew.

You consider Get Out High Brow.

That says all anyone needs to know about you.

Where does it say that? Can you point it out?

That's pretty interesting, user. I hadn't really thought about it like that, but you're right - we were saturated with movie soundtracks being half "BWAM" sounds for years after Inception.

Only people that criticise it claim the people who like it are considering it art house or high brow.

Faux criticism

i'll have you know i saw Shakespeare in Love in senior year English class thank you very much

shakespear in love

Never gave a shit to begin with.

What year was when Crash won best picture?
That year

>12 Years a Slave and not Whiplash
Those were different years, fambolini

And if you ask me, 12 Years was actually rather good for a Hollywood slave flick.

>Peele was nominated for best director
>Guadagnino wasn't
embarrassing

When Ken Watanabe didn't win Best Supporting Actor for The Last Samurai. Amazingly, the Academy still finds new ways to disgust me each and every year.

It'll win Best Adapted Screenplay

Especially likely since James Ivory is an old Hollywood dude that never won before and it's competition is pretty shit in comparison.

That reminds me, Letters From Iwo Jima lost best picture to The Departed in 07

The moment that The Handmaiden didn't even won a the foreign language picture even though it deserved to win general best picture.
They supposedly chose the best movies, but they obviously don't watch many movies out of pop cinema.

Since reading pic related

When American Sniper and Boyhood were both nominated for best picture.

>Dances with Wolves winning over Goodfellas

When Wonder Woman wasn't nominated for Best Picture

You stated that BR2049 was low/mid brow based on it's being locked out of the Oscars. Implying the Oscars (that nominated Get Out) were High Brow.

You think a generic Blumhouse thriller is High Brow.

That's the level of intellect you're playing with.

>When a great picture beat a great picture

THAT was the moment that did it for you?

>Implying spectacle isn't the primary purpose of cinema

I never gave a shit about the oscars, like any person with a working brain, I've always known that it's a shallow and fake ceremony that means absolutely nothing, it's really sad that this new wave migrants that invaded Sup Forums were too stupid, and dumb, to realize something that is common knowledge, and when coming in contact with reality, all of them became insufferable, claiming to be WOKE and red pilled, so in conclusion I never cared about the oscars and I only watch it because it's something fun to do with my Sup Forums bros.

>generic Blumhouse thriller
It's really easy to spot your asshurt when you post this exact phrase in every thread. Be smarter, Dennis. At least put some color grading on it.

American Sniper
and
Argo

>>Implying spectacle isn't the primary purpose of cinema
Dumdum. Read Aristotle's book on Poetics.

When hidden figures was nominated for best picture and when moonlight won. The rest that were nominated, were literally light years ahead of what moonlight was. 2016 was a great year for movies.

>...

Cavalcade > Forrest Gump

When Wall-E didn't get a best picture nod and lost everything besides Animation to the poo in loo film

>poo in loo film
Give me a quick rundown on that flick. I will watch it soon.

>Get Out nominated
>Franco not nominated
>The entire Best Actor category is pretty embarrassing actually
>Woody Harrelson nominated (I like him but c'mon he did fuckall in that role)
>Octavia Spencer randomly nominated
>Netflix meme Mudbound getting nominations
The only good thing is that Phantom Thread is getting more notice than at the Globes

Correct decisions.

But that's what it is. I know you have an obsession with demonstrating how "woke" you are by pretending to enjoy bad movies simply because blacks are in them, but that doesn't change Get Out into "High Brow" entertainment, my dude.

The fact that you'd even suggest that is pretty embarrassing.

Post >yfw Get Out, "the big surprise of the evening," wins Best Picture and Peele gives a speech that gets a standing ovation about niggerdom

Where?
>It's hilarious how they've pretended to be high brow cinema posters yet this has proven them to be not even middle but low brow plebs
>And? That should tell you about the Oscars. The so called high brow villenolans are upset about not getting those two noms in a "ceremony" like this?

How To Train Your Dragon is better than both

Remember when he got butthurt because his film got nominated for best comedy in the golden globes? I think that took some part in Get Out being nominated for the oscars

This asshole should remember where he came from and stop acting like a pretentious asshole, be humble

>just turn your brain off

SO MUCH THIS

Akshyually the Merry Widow deserved to win that year.

Stopped caring 20 years ago.

I still think it's good and entertaining.

different year, bucko.

When you realize the voters have seen maybe 4 of the movies and just check a box on most of it. Also the black stuff

When La la Land and Emma Stone won bunch of awards.

Overdose, soyboy.

Last year when I had more fun playing a bad game on my 3DS.

It wasn't a win/loss per se, but the fact of watching hours of shitty comedy just to find out if a movie I liked won anything. Seriously, fuck it. Just read the list the day after in the morning and be done with it

This

>fun
You crave entertainment.
>3DS
The gun won't pull itself.

Goose >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Frog

Still won Best Actress :)

Whole thread is about how irrelevant Oscar right now, did you even read it?

Yes

I hope this is fake

>best actor nominee 1976

Jackman didn't get a best actor nod

>stop giving a shit about the Oscars

I never gave a shit about the Oscars, nor any awards ceremony. All awards ceremonies are political garbage.

2009 when The Hurt Locker got nominated for best picture. That's when I knew the Oscars were full of shit.

>not Taxi Driver losing to Rocky
>not Raging Bull losing to Ordinary People

DANCES WITH WOLVES BEAT GOODFELLAS IN 1991

its been shit ever since

>Scorsese
The Champ > Raging Bull
Taxi Driver is just loser-core for beta numales.
Goodfellas (and a hundred of his other flicks) a poor remake of Scarface.

Everything else is irrelevant or you're sincerely a tasteless imdbdrone.

look at all those buzzwords.